A Fork In The Road: To Be a GC or a Broker or a ?

A Fork In The Road: To Be a GC or a Broker or a ?

Matt JoplinPro Member
Investor · Skagit County, WA · Member since 2016 · 26 posts · 12 votes

Hi all,

I am at a crossroads and I am looking for a suggestive nudge in the right direction. I am a former engineer, turned vocational teacher, turned stay at home dad due to young children at home during remote schooling. The one thing that has stayed consistent career wise is my love for real estate. 

I have hustled hard the past 7 years working late nights and weekends building my humble but performing investment portfolio. Trying to keep my expenses extremally low, for each project I designed, engineered, GC'd, labored, listed, rented, and sold all by myself utilizing almost no subs. This includes, the skilled trades, plumbing, mechanical, and electrical.

During remote schooling / being a stay at home dad I discovered an addiction to my newly found freedom and decided to put in my notice at the school district and make my side hustle a full time gig. I had a project in process and dedicated my time to finishing up a major remodel, refinancing the completed project, and then finding great tenants to love an enjoy the house. 

Just as my last project was finishing, we found our dream house and moved to an area I can see myself for the rest of my life. It is the first time we have had a home. Every other house we lived in was purchased as an investment and was a stair step to the next project. 

I have spent this year (2023) recovering from the burnout I have experienced the past several years and I have been trying to be intentional with how I make my next step. 

Pictured is the last house I sold. Of the many roles I took on for this home, I enjoyed analyzing, finding, and buying the home along with analyzing, listing, showing, and selling the home. I am a licensed, insured, bonded GC but I have only utilized my services for my own projects. 

My question for anyone that has made it this far is if you had the capability to be a GC or a real estate broker which would you choose? Would you go a completely different route? Would you suggest trying to partner with someone? My short term goal is additional income but the ultimate goal is to buy more real estate. I recognize eventually I can do both but I don't think I can take on starting two business at once. 

My intention is to do something in the real estate realm that compliments my goal of buying more rentals as soon as I can. I am reluctant to return to engineering or teaching though this would be the only option that guarantees a paycheck and therefore it makes lenders happy in a shorter period of time. 

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read this.

Matt

1Reply
50 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
3y

@Matt Joplin nothing of what you have detailed of having done is (a) Running a Remodeling/Building Business nor (b) running a Real Estate Retail Brokerage or Team.    What you HAVE done is the functions of those, completely without any of the business aspects, operating with the easiest of clients in the world, YOURSELF. 

To start a business in either, to be brutally honest, your clueless. 

Both are lead devouring business's. So you will have to learn and master the art of lead generation. That means the Engineer must become a Marketer, and those my friend are 2 polar opposites of the spectrum. You would have to learn how NOT to follow-through, how to NOT-plan things, to become impulsive, jumping potential too potential, hitting dead-end after dead-end and just shrugging it off with 0 thought because your memory spans all of 7 seconds and your onto the next potential. Because that IS sales. And if you can some how move from Engineer too Marketer, than you'd have to flip too Salesman. 

Easily 80% of the business, for both a R.E. Brokerage or a Remodeling/Building firm is Marketing & Sales. To the extent that it is a saying in the Remodeling world that "We are a Marketing & Sales Company who just so happens to sell Remodeling". 

What you have done, what you detailed loving, is NOT running either a Brokerage or Remodeling/building firm. At best, the closest is being a Sub-Contractor doing the work, or being an agent doing the work. Not running the "ship". 

What I DO suggest is, do MORE of what your loving, and doing well at. The only issue is scale, right, so SCALE. Add O.P.M., and that solves the $ issue of scaling does it not? Expand, formalize, give those with the capital but without the capabilities of operations like your brilliant Engineering mind naturally has, a chance to invest IN YOU. 

Your answer is not getting distracted, it's in EVOLVING. 

Evolve UP your REI business. It's OPM time my friend.

See this reply in the discussion

19 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    Look at doing commercial. If your doing that much, you should get a bigger paycheck. 

  • Matt JoplinPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Skagit County, WA · Member since 2016 · 26 posts · 12 votes
    3y

    Henry, thank you so much for the reply!  I have considered being a commercial broker but I have not researched it to the extent I have researched residential.  If you had the time, I would love to listen to your advice on how to approach this whenever it is convenient for you.  

  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    3y

    @Matt Joplin nothing of what you have detailed of having done is (a) Running a Remodeling/Building Business nor (b) running a Real Estate Retail Brokerage or Team.    What you HAVE done is the functions of those, completely without any of the business aspects, operating with the easiest of clients in the world, YOURSELF. 

    To start a business in either, to be brutally honest, your clueless. 

    Both are lead devouring business's. So you will have to learn and master the art of lead generation. That means the Engineer must become a Marketer, and those my friend are 2 polar opposites of the spectrum. You would have to learn how NOT to follow-through, how to NOT-plan things, to become impulsive, jumping potential too potential, hitting dead-end after dead-end and just shrugging it off with 0 thought because your memory spans all of 7 seconds and your onto the next potential. Because that IS sales. And if you can some how move from Engineer too Marketer, than you'd have to flip too Salesman. 

    Easily 80% of the business, for both a R.E. Brokerage or a Remodeling/Building firm is Marketing & Sales. To the extent that it is a saying in the Remodeling world that "We are a Marketing & Sales Company who just so happens to sell Remodeling". 

    What you have done, what you detailed loving, is NOT running either a Brokerage or Remodeling/building firm. At best, the closest is being a Sub-Contractor doing the work, or being an agent doing the work. Not running the "ship". 

    What I DO suggest is, do MORE of what your loving, and doing well at. The only issue is scale, right, so SCALE. Add O.P.M., and that solves the $ issue of scaling does it not? Expand, formalize, give those with the capital but without the capabilities of operations like your brilliant Engineering mind naturally has, a chance to invest IN YOU. 

    Your answer is not getting distracted, it's in EVOLVING. 

    Evolve UP your REI business. It's OPM time my friend.

  • Matt JoplinPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Skagit County, WA · Member since 2016 · 26 posts · 12 votes
    3y

    @James Hamling,  Thank you for the reply and for the brutal honesty, I appreciate it.  Some of the best advice comes without filter and that delivery method results in a point that is hard to miss by the one receiving the advice.  I also like the motivation provided by a bet against me, I like to prove people wrong when they say something cannot be done or I am incapable.  I love a challenge!

    I also appreciate the "none of the above" suggestion your mentioned as a path to explore outside of what I have listed.  What I want in the end is to own more real estate.  If I am a GC or a realtor I will be earning money, paying taxes on that money, and then using what is left to buy real estate.  OPM would certainly help me to scale more quickly.  My issue (and most everyone else's)  currently is deal flow and funding.  I'd love to unlock the secret to obtaining OPM but I have yet to break the code outside of private money from family and friends.  The first step is to get out in the world and this post is a step in that direction.  

    Both paths I originally brought up (being a realtor or GC) were not simply to make money but to help me with deal flow and networking, the other issue I have with my investing business.  

    Some added information for anyone else who might be confused is in WA state the nomenclature used is Broker (real estate agent) and Managing Broker (Owns or Supervises a Brokerage).  Based upon your response, it seems as if you thought I was trying to open my own brokerage which is not my intent.  Each of the managing brokers I have interviewed locally have great training opportunities and mentorship programs in their office. 

    I would disagree that I am clueless regarding being a GC but would agree 100% that because, I have sold 2 houses ever, that I certainly am not qualified to run alone as realtor or act a managing broker.  My point was from personal experience, I would rather write contracts and show houses than be in a attic for days on end in the summer running wires or in a trench fixing a failed sewer line.  

    In the greater Seattle area it is so difficult to find a GC who is not a hack / scam artist. All the good GCs have way more work than they can perform and they are booked out farther than most would want to wait. I have a degree in engineering, a BS in business, certifications (and experience) in project management and I grew up in a family that had a construction company that I worked for as a teenager through college. I am not saying that I will hit the ground ruining as a high end custom luxury home builder or that I am going to build a 500 unit commercial apartment complex. I will say though, that I could easily manage an ADU / DADU build, basement conversion, addition, kitchen remodel, bathroom remodel, etc. I got that no problem and there is enough work locally to make a decent living providing these services.

    I've been working overly hard all my life taking the longest most challenging routes.  It is time for me to make myself known, ask questions, and listen to experienced people such as yourself and to start working smarter.  

    If you have any more suggestions to steer me down the path of wisdom instead of the path of brute force I would be a gracious student.  

    Sincerely,

    Matt

  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    3y

    Use of OPM also involves marketing and sales.  Many facets of RE are relationship based.  Building relationships isa form of marketing (marketing yourself).  

    As for your question between agent and GC, They can both help with your stated end goal.  I would therefore pick the one you are more passionate about.  You are best qualified to make this decision.  

    Good luck

  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Matt Joplin:

    @James Hamling,  Thank you for the reply and for the brutal honesty, I appreciate it.  Some of the best advice comes without filter and that delivery method results in a point that is hard to miss by the one receiving the advice.  I also like the motivation provided by a bet against me, I like to prove people wrong when they say something cannot be done or I am incapable.  I love a challenge!

    I also appreciate the "none of the above" suggestion your mentioned as a path to explore outside of what I have listed.  What I want in the end is to own more real estate.  If I am a GC or a realtor I will be earning money, paying taxes on that money, and then using what is left to buy real estate.  OPM would certainly help me to scale more quickly.  My issue (and most everyone else's)  currently is deal flow and funding.  I'd love to unlock the secret to obtaining OPM but I have yet to break the code outside of private money from family and friends.  The first step is to get out in the world and this post is a step in that direction.  

    Both paths I originally brought up (being a realtor or GC) were not simply to make money but to help me with deal flow and networking, the other issue I have with my investing business.  

    Some added information for anyone else who might be confused is in WA state the nomenclature used is Broker (real estate agent) and Managing Broker (Owns or Supervises a Brokerage).  Based upon your response, it seems as if you thought I was trying to open my own brokerage which is not my intent.  Each of the managing brokers I have interviewed locally have great training opportunities and mentorship programs in their office. 

    I would disagree that I am clueless regarding being a GC but would agree 100% that because, I have sold 2 houses ever, that I certainly am not qualified to run alone as realtor or act a managing broker.  My point was from personal experience, I would rather write contracts and show houses than be in a attic for days on end in the summer running wires or in a trench fixing a failed sewer line.  

    In the greater Seattle area it is so difficult to find a GC who is not a hack / scam artist. All the good GCs have way more work than they can perform and they are booked out farther than most would want to wait. I have a degree in engineering, a BS in business, certifications (and experience) in project management and I grew up in a family that had a construction company that I worked for as a teenager through college. I am not saying that I will hit the ground ruining as a high end custom luxury home builder or that I am going to build a 500 unit commercial apartment complex. I will say though, that I could easily manage an ADU / DADU build, basement conversion, addition, kitchen remodel, bathroom remodel, etc. I got that no problem and there is enough work locally to make a decent living providing these services.

    I've been working overly hard all my life taking the longest most challenging routes.  It is time for me to make myself known, ask questions, and listen to experienced people such as yourself and to start working smarter.  

    If you have any more suggestions to steer me down the path of wisdom instead of the path of brute force I would be a gracious student.  

    Sincerely,

    Matt


     The "General Slang" I utilized is Broker = Managing Broker/ Team Leader, and Agent = all things below Managing Broker including associate broker. Because a Managing Broker and a Team Leader have the same dilemma of being lead generation focused, with actually very little "doing" of actual deals. Yes, some Team Leads do more of the "doing" but in general it's of running the group not doing "deals". 

    I have no question of your capabilities in execution of operations. This reply reverberates my point, that doing a business of either mentioned would be one that has a majority necessity on the one thing your worst at; Lead Generation. 

    Continuing in unfiltered honesty, the thing is how good or poor one can actually do there service means very little to near nothing when it comes to Lead Generation. Fact in hand, there is several companies who are wildly more expensive than competitors with equal or sub-par products/service yet they are wildly successful. Why? Because they are masters of Lead Generation.     And there is those consistently delivering a poor product or service experience and again, doing exceptional great financially speaking because again, masters of Lead Generation.       And at same time, in the same market, there is those who deliver an amazing quality of product/service, yet very few know of them. yes, they keep busy, but that's it, just keeping busy, not growing at scale that matches there fantastic offering and price-point. Why? There failure of Lead Generation. 

    I will use this real world personal example. 

    Some years back I started up a window & door line, as a manufacturer direct distribution to end consumer. When I first launched many laughed at me, I was 2X-3X the price point of everyone else, with a comparable product to others, that had some bells & whistles that were without doubt "over the top" such as out tipple pane package.     Within 18 months all that flipped 180-degrees to asking how in the hell I was selling so well at a 2x-3x of everyone else, how we were busy when others were not, how my greatest struggle was enough labor to keep pace with sales.      Lead Generation. 

    I can not stress how vastly different running a retail business that requires servicing clients is than doing that same work for yourself. For yourself there is 0 work to retain clients, when selling a product/service the entire work is retaining clients. 

    Just having a product or service, no matter how great, no matter how demanded for, does not = sales. 

    And both Real Estate and Remodeling are intensely competitive industries with a plethora of offerings out there, making both the "Olympics" of marketing. 

    The time energy and capital required to learn that skill set or marketing for lead gen, I believe will be far better served in utilizing to learn the art of O.P.M.. Because as you re-stated here, your sole focus is for your investing actions. So why get distracted from that?      It's like saying you have this good going hamburger stand, and now want to open a full restaurant, so your going to open a restaurant supply company so you can get more keyed in to gain ability to open a restaurant. No, it won't work, (a) because your heart isn't in it from the get-go and (b) it's a distraction from your actual focus. 

    It's a vastly different world dealing with clients, trying to find clients, convey value to clients, retain clients. Lead Generation is not a simple item, and not everyone can do it, and most can't ever do it well. 

  • Matt JoplinPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Skagit County, WA · Member since 2016 · 26 posts · 12 votes
    3y
    Quote from @James Hamling:

    It's a vastly different world dealing with clients, trying to find clients, convey value to clients, retain clients. Lead Generation is not a simple item, and not everyone can do it, and most can't ever do it well. 

     @James Hamling, received, re-read, and understood.  Thank you for the encouraging advice, you have me reflecting on something that has been in the back of my mind for years.  As you put it "...your sole focus is for your investing actions. So why get distracted from that?"  I would say the options I presented are in alignment with investing and that either could help drive me forward as an investor.  However, I would agree 100% with you that both options would ultimately be a time intensive distraction from my ultimate goal of being a full-time investor.  If there is a way to shortcut the process (you already gave the answer OPM) that would be the most direct route forward.  Thank you for encouraging me to stay focused on the end goal.  

  • Real Estate Agent · WA · Member since 2021 · 254 posts · 173 votes
    3y

    It's great to hear that you have a passion for real estate and have been able to build a successful investment portfolio while managing your other responsibilities. Taking control of your time and energy is crucial when pursuing your goals, and it sounds like you have been doing just that.

    As you consider your next steps, it's important to weigh the potential upsides and risks of different options. Being a real estate agent can offer more stability and less deal-by-deal risk compared to being a general contractor (GC). Real estate agents have the potential for a steady income stream from commissions, while GCs may face more uncertainty with project timelines and budgets. However, being a GC could also offer more control over your time and income potential if you're able to build a successful business.

    While it's important to follow your passion, it's also important to acknowledge that it may not always lead to immediate financial success. It's great that you've been able to build a successful investment portfolio, but it may take some time to see the same level of success in a real estate career. It's important to have a realistic plan in place to support yourself financially while pursuing your goals.

    Partnering with someone could be a good option if you're looking to complement your skills and resources, but it's important to carefully consider the partnership agreement and ensure that your goals align. Ultimately, your goal of buying more rentals is a great one, and it's important to choose a career path that supports that goal in the long term. Good luck with your decision-making process!

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    Why not just hammer-swing your own projects into an empire of cash flowing properties.

    Then if you want to sit in the warm McDonald's sipping coffee all morning because it's cold and raining that day--your time is your own.

    Nice job making a quirky looking house much prettier, much more curb appeal.

  • Real Estate Broker · Seattle, WA · Member since 2020 · 62 posts · 33 votes
    3y

    Pick whichever aligns with your strengths better. You'll have to grind either way, you might as well make it an easier grind. 

  • Matt JoplinPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Skagit County, WA · Member since 2016 · 26 posts · 12 votes
    3y

    Thank you @Ran Iarovich, @Scott Mac, and @Marcela Hoag for your replies.  I appreciate the encouragement and feedback. 

    @Scott Mac, thank you for the complements about making "a quirky looking house much prettier".  It is my specialty : )  Most of my projects have had aesthetic challenges that I have had to overcome.  It makes for a fun puzzle, and it helps to limit competition when making offers.  

  • Realtor · Lake Stevens, WA · Member since 2018 · 122 posts · 91 votes
    3y

    Hi Matt, 

    I'm wondering if the best route for you to go is to become a full-time investor. It seems like you're very analytical and that is your passion. Why not scale what you're already doing? You could keep the right deals as rentals and flip the rest for income.

    As an investor, you can control the process from A-Z and just worry about meeting your own goals. As a realtor or GC, you're going to have to be on other people's schedules, which means evenings and weekends much of the time. It will burn you out unless you build out a team and focus on managing the business and people. This takes time to build a machine that lead generates enough business to support a team. It's a lot of work and not for the faint hearted. Both are very competitive industries to be in as well. 

  • Investor · CO · Member since 2016 · 757 posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Why not both?

    The GC could be a complimentary to the brokerage business. I’d recommend scaling those up and building a team to run both. I would agree, both businesses are lead intensive.

  • Developer · Boulder, CO · Member since 2018 · 530 posts · 365 votes
    3y

    @Matt Joplin

    Matt, depending on what kind of engineering you have done, you might want to consider getting into ground up development.

    Civil engineers in particular have a great head start in doing development. They understand and are involved with the front end of the project in both its design and permitting.

    Feel free to contact me if you’d like to talk about this.

    In any event, the best of luck to you!

  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Matt Joplin:
    Quote from @James Hamling:

    It's a vastly different world dealing with clients, trying to find clients, convey value to clients, retain clients. Lead Generation is not a simple item, and not everyone can do it, and most can't ever do it well. 

     @James Hamling, received, re-read, and understood.  Thank you for the encouraging advice, you have me reflecting on something that has been in the back of my mind for years.  As you put it "...your sole focus is for your investing actions. So why get distracted from that?"  I would say the options I presented are in alignment with investing and that either could help drive me forward as an investor.  However, I would agree 100% with you that both options would ultimately be a time intensive distraction from my ultimate goal of being a full-time investor.  If there is a way to shortcut the process (you already gave the answer OPM) that would be the most direct route forward.  Thank you for encouraging me to stay focused on the end goal.  


    I think maybe a re-frame of things could best detail and give clarity. 

    Picture this wild-world of Real Estate as a "Big-Top" Circus. Seriously, as in Barnum and Baileys. 

    Real Estate is a singular thing, much as the "show" at a circus is a singular thing, but both are compiled by it's many, uniquely individual contributing "parts". 

    And each of those parts, be it a GC or high-wire act, are worlds unto themselves, right. 

    Now, as "The Investor", you don't spit-fire, tame lion's or any of that, your "The Greatest Showman on Earth". Your at the heart of everything, and doing none of it. And without you, none of it comes together. 

    So with this, stepping out of that role to do those other things, does nothing to further "the show". Yes, "the show" needs each of those components but jumping in to be those yourself is a slippery slope that results in a Circus of 1, which isn't much of a thing now is it? 

    The best way to make it the best "show" you can, is by focusing on "the show" and not any of the "acts". You recruit act's, manage them, organize them, but not do them yourself. 

    Make sense? 

    The biggest problem can sometimes be from being too capable of doing things, I speak from personal experience. I hear all the time "wow, why aren't you doing ____" because yes, i can, at a very high performance level, but just because I can, doesn't mean I should. Because of TIME, the #1 most valuable resource in existence. It is limited, and diminishing. 

    A wide focus can light a room, a narrowed focus can cut through steel! Focus = power. 

  • Matt JoplinPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Skagit County, WA · Member since 2016 · 26 posts · 12 votes
    3y

    I LOVE that this post is still has traction 4 months after I posted it.  Thank you to all who care to read it and reply!

    To give an update, I decided to get my brokers license (title for agent in WA) and was able focus hard and secure a position at a desirable firm 6 weeks from the date I started my coursework.  Since I began 2 months ago, I have been working to actually understand the craft through on the job training.  Courses and trainings really just get you in the door, the real work and learning doesn't start until you are on your own right?...I now have first hand experience trying to market myself in an effort to get clients.  I expected it to be tough but it is tougher than I had originally thought.  I do recognize that starting out in this business you have nothing for a long time then all of a sudden growth happens exponentially if you have the skill and put forth the effort to do it right.  

    I will tell you one thing, in my area if you say you're a GC (I am also licensed as a GC) people want to talk to you because they have a need or know someone who needs a good contractor.  They are in high demand.  Conversely, if you say you are a Realtor, they almost look at you with disgust and back away slowly.  A bit of an exaggeration here but there a so many Realtors around that provide no actual benefit that it is hard to get attention from someone that doesn't understand the value you can deliver.  

    This true-life test might just be the answer to my question: Should I become a Realtor or a GC.  Seems to be a great deal of interest in GCs and there are so many high-end homes in the area that I know that I could make really good money servicing the Island I live on as well as the surrounding islands.  Mainland GCs just don't have an interest in coming onto the island with the work available to them closer by.  That said, there is a whole lot of money I can make too if I can establish and prove my worth as Realtor.  

    As @Kyle Wells and @James Hamling basically said being a jack of all trades leaves one to be a master of none.  This I agree with.  Ultimately, I want control of what James highlighted as my number one resource TIME and being an investor in my eyes provides the best combination of time and potential to make money.  

    I am trying to break into the full-time investor world which at this point, will require OPM and or a partnership with another investor. My selected vehicle of choice to do this was to become a Realtor. I am currently focusing my time analyzing my market and enjoying the perks of having MLS access as well as other tools that come along with it. There are 75 brokers that work through 5 different offices at my company and many of them are seasoned. I am hoping to network, assist, and learn from them because I think their wisdom, experience, and connections are invaluable as a Realtor or investor. There are so many investment groups in the Seattle area but few near me in my local area. Investors are out there but they are not organized so far as I have seen. Investing outside of my local area is definitely a possibility but would require further research and definitely some help from other investors to get started. I have been resistant to go elsewhere because I know that I can always jump in personally to correct any issue if my investment is within driving distance. This self-limitation I understand is restricting my growth and potential.

    My vison as a Realtor is to always be searching for opportunity for myself.  If I come across a deal that pencils out I will work to buy it.  If it is close but fails my criteria and I have a buyer on my list the the house is fitting for, I will help them purchase it.  In my search if I come across someone looking to sell, and the deal doesn't work for me I have an opportunity then to potentially list the property.  Its a bit like a reverse funnel.  I search for opportunity run it through my own evaluation and then pass it along through different tiers. My GC business is legal and ready but I have it on the back burner until I get my real estate business going. 

    As @Julien J. suggest both are complimentary.  I would like to get both going but I don't feel able to start two new ventures at once.  

    @Kyle Wells, @Julien J., @Barry Ruby Thank you for spending time to reply to my question.  

    @James Hamling,Thank you again for your recommendations.  I love your analogies and I want to cut through steel and focus.  

    To anyone else, thank you for taking the time to read this.  I am always interested in chatting about real estate and providing help if I can.  Additionally, if I can contribute to anyone's project or partnership I'd love to have that discussion.  

  • Real Estate Agent · Bothell, WA · Member since 2023 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    3y

    Hey I am in the Seattle area I would love to get coffee and chat. I think focusing on new build developments is a great option. I have a handful of investors interested in doing that or in rehabs. A good gc is in huge demand. I am even looking for some myself for my investors. 

  • Realtor · Bellevue, WA · Member since 2019 · 882 posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    @Matt Joplin, GC & Realtor both need skills in sales, lead generation, and bring deals to close.

    If you like construction, manage jobs, deal with subcontractors, being a GC may fit you better

  • Erik EstradaBusiness Member
    Lender · Member since 2022 · 6k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Matt Joplin:

    Hi all,

    I am at a crossroads and I am looking for a suggestive nudge in the right direction. I am a former engineer, turned vocational teacher, turned stay at home dad due to young children at home during remote schooling. The one thing that has stayed consistent career wise is my love for real estate. 

    I have hustled hard the past 7 years working late nights and weekends building my humble but performing investment portfolio. Trying to keep my expenses extremally low, for each project I designed, engineered, GC'd, labored, listed, rented, and sold all by myself utilizing almost no subs. This includes, the skilled trades, plumbing, mechanical, and electrical.

    During remote schooling / being a stay at home dad I discovered an addiction to my newly found freedom and decided to put in my notice at the school district and make my side hustle a full time gig. I had a project in process and dedicated my time to finishing up a major remodel, refinancing the completed project, and then finding great tenants to love an enjoy the house. 

    Just as my last project was finishing, we found our dream house and moved to an area I can see myself for the rest of my life. It is the first time we have had a home. Every other house we lived in was purchased as an investment and was a stair step to the next project. 

    I have spent this year (2023) recovering from the burnout I have experienced the past several years and I have been trying to be intentional with how I make my next step. 

    Pictured is the last house I sold. Of the many roles I took on for this home, I enjoyed analyzing, finding, and buying the home along with analyzing, listing, showing, and selling the home. I am a licensed, insured, bonded GC but I have only utilized my services for my own projects. 

    My question for anyone that has made it this far is if you had the capability to be a GC or a real estate broker which would you choose? Would you go a completely different route? Would you suggest trying to partner with someone? My short term goal is additional income but the ultimate goal is to buy more real estate. I recognize eventually I can do both but I don't think I can take on starting two business at once. 

    My intention is to do something in the real estate realm that compliments my goal of buying more rentals as soon as I can. I am reluctant to return to engineering or teaching though this would be the only option that guarantees a paycheck and therefore it makes lenders happy in a shorter period of time. 

    Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read this.

    Matt


     Your edge over thousands of agents/brokers is your experience being a GC for your projects. You will be able to help people understand how much their new purchase is actually costing them and be able to tell them what to look out for when buying a home. 

    Thousands of agents/brokers sell homes without having a clue of what goes into one. Combine both and you will be a killer broker 

    LuxePrivate Investments LLC 572 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.