What is your preferred cordless power tool brand and why?

What is your preferred cordless power tool brand and why?

Nathan HoltPro Member
Newark Ohio · Member since 2022 · 63 posts · 51 votes

I am going to be growing my tool inventory as I renovate my property and will inevitably need to buy more power tools. What is your favorite brand of power tool and why? Do you go for the more expensive Dewalts and Milwaukee's or stick to the Harts and Bauer's? 

0Reply
28 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2015 · 53 posts · 88 votes
3y

For me it would depend on how much you think you're going to be using them.  If it's just for every now and then use, then the cheaper options should do fine.  If you want years of moderate to heavy use, then go ahead and spend a bit more for something that works well and is durable.  I personally use Makita and they do great, but I would think that the Dewalt or Milwaukee would be just as good. 

One thing to remember is that if you're going with the cordless options, and there's not much reason not to, then you're not just buying one tool, you're committing to the entire brand since the batteries are so expensive.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2015 · 53 posts · 88 votes
    3y

    For me it would depend on how much you think you're going to be using them.  If it's just for every now and then use, then the cheaper options should do fine.  If you want years of moderate to heavy use, then go ahead and spend a bit more for something that works well and is durable.  I personally use Makita and they do great, but I would think that the Dewalt or Milwaukee would be just as good. 

    One thing to remember is that if you're going with the cordless options, and there's not much reason not to, then you're not just buying one tool, you're committing to the entire brand since the batteries are so expensive.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    I remember a contractor telling me the Dewalt (20V Max XR Brushless tools) run (per DeWalt) about 30% longer than the (20v max) tools using batteries of the same size, but they are quite pricey...

    Though if you are interested in them for that feature, verifying that for each tool might be wise.

    Good Luck!

  • Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2016 · 576 posts · 358 votes
    3y

    I've been very happy with Ridgid.

  • Member since 2022 · 186 posts · 192 votes
    3y

    It all matters how much you plan to use them. I started out woodworking. I bought ryobi as that’s what I could afford. I used the mess out of ryobi and had no regrets with it and would recommend them. That said as my batteries started to die I have switched over to the Milwaukee platform as they had more options at the time. Milwaukee is what I use now including thier Packout system. I have remodeled three houses with it and do all my my own maintenance. Tools are a hobby for me as well.can’t go wrong with ryobi but if you got a bit more money Milwaukee is fantastic as well. If you don’t plan on doing repeated remodels get ryobi or baurer. If you plan on doing extensive work get Milwaukee 

  • Nick HarringtonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2019 · 31 posts · 28 votes
    3y

    My personal opinion on tools.... get a cheap one the first time you buy. If it breaks, it's probably because you are using it a lot, so then get the nice one of it! Worst case, you're only out the cost of the cheaper tool. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    When I started out with my tools I had Ryobi and my brother helped me rebuild my deck.  He worked in renovation and had nice dewalt tools where I had the $100 4 pack of tools you could get at Christmas non lithium.  I could only drive the 3 inch screws 2.5 inches and he had to finish them off for me, this was a definite threat to my manhood.  Now almost everything is Dewalt and since I have 6 batteries I'm pretty much stuck with them.  I did give Ryobi a second chance with a brad nailer and battery drain auger which work great but dewalt is my brand of choice.  I may buy Ryobi again since I have the 1 battery if it is a tool I think I will only use once or twice but the battery on those Dewalts last a long time and they have a lot of backups.  You can often get some pretty good sales as well around holidays where you get a free battery with a tool to help build your pile of batteries because depending on the tool they go quick.  My next step is switching to electric outdoor lawn tools but I just haven't gotten around to it yet since my gas ones work.   

    Those Rigids have a lifetime warranty though even on the battery which may come into play with ultra heavy use but I'm already too deep into Dewalt to make the change. 

  • Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 708 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nick Harrington:

    My personal opinion on tools.... get a cheap one the first time you buy. If it breaks, it's probably because you are using it a lot, so then get the nice one of it! Worst case, you're only out the cost of the cheaper tool. 

    That’s generally a good approach but in this case not practical because you lock into a particular platform from the start due to battery sharing.
    In my opinion, for “occasional handymen”, the cheaper platforms are fine.  Just make sure the particular brand has a broad enough assortment so it features all the different tools you might want to buy at some point.
    personally, I have the Bosh 18v platform and I’m very satisfied.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.