How Would YOU Spend $100,000?

How Would YOU Spend $100,000?

Brandon TurnerPro Member
Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes

(This was a popular discussion on Facebook today, so I thought I'd ask it here. Thanks @Chris Feltus for the suggestion!)

You have $100,000 to invest in real estate with and you must choose one of the following. Do you:

A.) Use it as a down payment on a $500,000 small multifamily?

B.) Use it to pay all cash for a $100,000 rental home?

C.) Buy five rental houses with a $20,000 down payment on each?

(Bonus: If you want to explain why, feel free!)

1Reply
68 views

Most Popular Reply

Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
12y

This is a close call for me between A and C. I like A, because it is simply one property to buy and manage, and could have the potential of cash on cash returns in the 20's%.

Still, I'm going to choose C, because I'd likely attract higher quality tenants at higher rent, even though the net income might not be as high. However, the individual homes would be more liquid and offer more flexibility for selling or borrowing against down the line. I'd also think that they might have a better chance of appreciation than the small multi-family.

See this reply in the discussion

34 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Napa, CA · Member since 2013 · 11 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    @Bill Mitchell I am with you on this one. I see these statements often. I spend a lot of time debating in my head if I am doing it wrong or if sometimes statements are a little inflated. I currently have two duplex's, I am closing on a 4 pled and my next offer is on 12 plex with two pads ready for development of 24 more units. I prefer the larger units, the cash flow comes quicker. I am 48 years old and because of that I need to be worried about cash flow . I now can only get commercial loans since I own more than five properties. Those loans are at 5% with 20 year amortization. If I am buying properties that do not need rehabbed and are in immediate rentable condition in A neighborhoods - it is going to take 15 years to pay them off with the cash flow put right back in the mortgage. I have NO Idea how this is done in 6 under the same type of conditions.

  • Syndicator and Fund Manager · Victor, NY · Member since 2012 · 760 posts · 345 votes
    12y

    @Kristi Miller

    it's just a matter of strategy differences. If you're buying fully stabilized class A properties in A locations then you're right, you're not going to pay off the note in 6 years most of the time. Though it will be faster if you're looking at lower cost cities.

    The only way you're going to pay something down that quickly on a larger complex is if you opportunistically search for value add plays. If you buy half empty properties, those that are renting for under market, or renovate to a higher standard and cash flow, then you'll be able to these down a lot quicker.

    With this strategy though, most people aren't paying them off quick, rather they are either doing the turn around and then selling or doing a cash out refinance based on the newly created value and taking that to do it again.

  • Investor · Vincennes, IN · Member since 2013 · 223 posts · 108 votes
    12y

    I agree with @Derek Carroll . It's not about owning a larger property free and clear. It's about creating cash flow while you own it and equity when you sell. The equity potential on a larger property in going to exponentially surpass the $100,000 free and clear house.

    Not that one strategy is better than the other. Obviously the larger property is going to take more effort and risk(albeit different effort and risk). Hence you should expect a higher payday.

  • Contractor · new paltz, NY · Member since 2013 · 104 posts · 13 votes
    12y

    Just to be a total contrairian... D.)

    Buy a nice condo on the beach in a depressed E.U. country like Spain, now selling for about this price. Rent it out nightly and weekly, weekends to rich Europeans. Stay in it the few weeks its not rented.

  • Contractor · new paltz, NY · Member since 2013 · 104 posts · 13 votes
    12y

    Just out of curiosity...where are these 100k houses? asks the New Yorker....

  • Investor · Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2013 · 658 posts · 315 votes
    12y

    They're in the mid West...says the Californinan.

  • Lakewood, OH · Member since 2013 · 193 posts · 60 votes
    12y

    Sometimes I wonder at the strategy of leveraging. Sure your cash on cash return might be higher, but your paying way more than the property's worth in interest in the end.

    So the question is, do you want it taken out of the front end or the back end?

  • Contractor · new paltz, NY · Member since 2013 · 104 posts · 13 votes
    12y

    Justin,

    me too. Of course I'll leverage but why not have the beautiful light weight feeling of owning free and clear and seeing that big rent check come directly to you? if you can do that of course. With bad credit I have to consider this idea.

  • Real estate investor · Las Vegas · Member since 2013 · 798 posts · 171 votes
    12y

    @Justin B bc you are not the one paying for the leverage and it allows much quicker growth. I think the single building is best for a number of reasons- 1 location, one loan, less fees, less time, typically a better of rate of return on MF (Cost per door vs rent). Also, it is much easier to get SFH w/o as much money down as a larger building IMO.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.