Hey everyone,
Im curious if anyone has really long distance investing (international)?
My wife and I are starting to delve into the rental market in Italy and we were looking to see if anyone else has experience investing in Italy.
Background: We travelled to Italy a year ago and fell in love and recently found out that my brother-in-law is going to be stationed in Italy. We would love to purchase a place near his base for him to live in while he's stationed in Italy, but we don't know anything about the rental market after he gets stationed elsewhere. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Hope this thread isn't completely dead, but I wanted to weigh in my views for investing in Italy.
I've been living here for almost 2 years now, and have been spending time trying to understand the market more. I will preface by saying that I haven't invested here, but I have spoken to other investors who are here. Additionally, I am in the South of Italy, so my perspective will be of that of someone who has studied the people here. (My profile photo is actually me on a boat going across the Adriatic Sea from Brindisi, Italy to Greece) The north and south seem to be different in their views of business, as the south are more relaxed and the north, so I've been told, are more capitalistic. This is only a guess, take it with a gain of salt. I am 'boots on the ground' in case anyone wants to use us to make calls or inquire more information. That said, here is what I've learned.
1. Employment Rate: Italy has historically had one of the lowest employment rates in Europe. In 2024, approximately 62% of Italians aged 15 and above were employed, compared to the European Union average of 71%. This figure represents the highest employment rate ever recorded in Italy, indicating a positive trend despite remaining below the EU average. https://www.statista.com/topics/12899/employment-in-italy/
2. Population Growth Rate: Italy's population has been experiencing a gradual decline. In 2025, the population is estimated at 58,518,843, marking a 0.3% decrease from 2024. This downward trend has been consistent over the past decade, with annual declines ranging from 0.15% to 0.44%. https://www.macrotrends.net/global-metrics/countries/ITA/ita...
3. Birth Rate: The birth rate in Italy has been steadily decreasing. In 2025, it is projected at 7.016 births per 1,000 people, a slight decline from 7.026 in 2024. Over the past decade, the birth rate has dropped from 8.354 in 2015 to 7.016 in 2025, reflecting a continuous decline. https://www.macrotrends.net/global-metrics/countries/ITA/ita...
4. Death Rate: The death rate has been gradually increasing. In 2025, it is projected at 11.119 deaths per 1,000 people, up from 11.026 in 2024. Over the past decade, the death rate has risen from 10.192 in 2014 to 11.119 in 2025. https://www.macrotrends.net/global-metrics/countries/ITA/ita...
Italy is in a unique position, where all the youth are either leaving for college, or once they get their degree, they leave Italy to go take jobs in other EU countries. Because they're EU citizens, they can live and work anywhere in the EU. The majority of people that are still in Italy, are the older population who are mostly on pension. I'm unsure if it's the entire EU, but forsure in Italy, they receive a pension at a certain age. This, and the work ethic here are completely different than a capitalistic country like the United States. With the given of pension so long as you work, most of the working class do not aspire or create businesses here. Additionally, the cost to create a business here is not as inexpensive as the United States, in some cases it can cost thousands of dollars to setup. While that is not a big hurdle, it should at least start to give you an understanding of the mentality the Italian government have towards business owners. Corporate Income Tax are 24%, however banks and insurances companies are higher with an additional 3.5%
Mortgage in Italy
It's also important to note that there are no Mortgage companies here, everything is done with 1 of the very few banks here. They hold all the cards. When I asked for a loan, they asked if my business received money in Euros. I told them no, they said the best they can do for a mortgage was for me to pay 50% down. That being said the, interest rate was very low. 1%-2%.
Appreciation Value
Over the entire country, the appreciation value of homes only increases 1%-2%. Look above and see the population to learn why.
1 Euro Houses
There are certain towns in Italy where the population growth had dropped dramatically, that some towns have been completely abandon. All the youth have left, maybe the elders are still there or they are deceased and the children don't want the property. Internet capabilities are low, and no one wants to live there. The houses are sold very cheap, however to fix them up, you are usually investing about $30k-$100k to make them livable. As an American, we love our amenities. So I'm sad to say, that because of the local italian government, any reconstruction of these types of buildings, must follow the guidelines of what is allowed and not allowed. You can rent these units out, but there aren't many people who want to rent and live in it. You could set it up as an Airbnb, but that brings me to the next section.
Airbnb & STR Value
Almost all of the major cites, especially Florence, have created bans on new Airbnbin their cities. For the case of Florence, there are college students there who are having a hard time finding housing due to all the units becoming Airbnbs. The government has now started creating laws to stop the growth of Airbnb. It's also important to note that because much of the Italian citizens that are there and can vote are in the older demographic, much of the laws and policies are to keep them happy, which means less development and growth. It also keeps to a nationalistic conservative agenda, and without capitalism, it is just cuts to programs, and no investment into other areas.
I have stayed at Airbnb's in Rome and Naples, and there are Airbnbs of course, but you really need to speak and learn the system. The one in Naples took a 4 bedroom, and divided it up to 4 Airbnb units.
Expat network
Most of the expats I've met here in the south are retired and want to just relax. Many from non-EU countries, and because of Brexit, some brits here that don't want to leave.
Military Housing
One opportunity I did hear about, is military housing. Apparently the US government will pay for the rent of enlisted men if the property is close to a military base. I think this actually happens all over the world, but some landlords will increase their rent to the amount that the US government is willing to spend on rent in that location. So while the rent prices on an island like Sardinia is low, the landlords will increase the prices for the military members because it comes out the US pocketbook.
Rehabs
There are no Home Depots, Walmarts, Costco's. This is on hard mode. What the local shop has, is what you get, unless you want to travel farther to see what else others have. Calling on the phone is usually useless as they'll tell you to come in. Even if you're hours away. And if you need to import something into Italy, add 20% to the cost of whatever it is you want in, due to the VAT tax. (This includes Amazon)
Equity Loan
The last opportunity I've thought about recently, is taking the equity out of the house here in Italy, and investing it into a property in the US where appreciation is higher. Since loans here can be as low as 1% interest, and the LTV is up to 50% a property, I think you can take the equity out, get a small loan here, and put the money into an investment property in the US. The money generated could pay for both loans, and even cash flow.
Italian Buraccuracy
I thought the United States is slow and has poor processes set, but here is absolutely worse. Imagine you aren't able to make a phone call to get information and you need to physically go to where the person is to speak with them. This is how much of the businesses are here, not even talking about the Italian government. The laws shift and change frequently, and no one really seems to understand the process, and if they do, they are never incentivized to actually help you. As I stated above, maybe it is because I'm in the south, but if you attempt to speak with people, conducting due diligence, they become offended you would question anything they provide.
Outside of Real Estate
Many of the business here in the south don't use digital marketing, ads, etc. So anyone who advertises or uses ANY marketing technique, can really advance businesses here.
When it makes sense to invest in Real Estate in Italy
If you are looking for appreciation growth, or increased rental rates, I don't think Italy will be a good investment unless you are getting some of the best areas. I have seen appreciation in Milan as a market. Rome is probably good too, any major city will be much better than the rest of Italy. When you get to rural areas, even in Tuscany, you need to more risk-adverse as the property value might not increase, unless you have another operating business on it like a boutique hotel or vineyard, that you can blast social media influencers to get more people to come. If you don't have a content deliver network to show why people should come to your rural region, you might have a much more difficult time. If you're investing in major cities, you'll have an easier time with occupancy rates for STR for Airbnb, but will have be very cautious about the changing laws. I'd recommend either being in Italy for some time out the year, every year you have property here, or have someone physically here (like me!) who can monitor your investment closely.
I hope this provides some perspective on the situation here in Italy! I'm happy to answer any additional questions as best as I can.
Hope this thread isn't completely dead, but I wanted to weigh in my views for investing in Italy.
I've been living here for almost 2 years now, and have been spending time trying to understand the market more. I will preface by saying that I haven't invested here, but I have spoken to other investors who are here. Additionally, I am in the South of Italy, so my perspective will be of that of someone who has studied the people here. (My profile photo is actually me on a boat going across the Adriatic Sea from Brindisi, Italy to Greece) The north and south seem to be different in their views of business, as the south are more relaxed and the north, so I've been told, are more capitalistic. This is only a guess, take it with a gain of salt. I am 'boots on the ground' in case anyone wants to use us to make calls or inquire more information. That said, here is what I've learned.
1. Employment Rate: Italy has historically had one of the lowest employment rates in Europe. In 2024, approximately 62% of Italians aged 15 and above were employed, compared to the European Union average of 71%. This figure represents the highest employment rate ever recorded in Italy, indicating a positive trend despite remaining below the EU average. https://www.statista.com/topics/12899/employment-in-italy/
2. Population Growth Rate: Italy's population has been experiencing a gradual decline. In 2025, the population is estimated at 58,518,843, marking a 0.3% decrease from 2024. This downward trend has been consistent over the past decade, with annual declines ranging from 0.15% to 0.44%. https://www.macrotrends.net/global-metrics/countries/ITA/ita...
3. Birth Rate: The birth rate in Italy has been steadily decreasing. In 2025, it is projected at 7.016 births per 1,000 people, a slight decline from 7.026 in 2024. Over the past decade, the birth rate has dropped from 8.354 in 2015 to 7.016 in 2025, reflecting a continuous decline. https://www.macrotrends.net/global-metrics/countries/ITA/ita...
4. Death Rate: The death rate has been gradually increasing. In 2025, it is projected at 11.119 deaths per 1,000 people, up from 11.026 in 2024. Over the past decade, the death rate has risen from 10.192 in 2014 to 11.119 in 2025. https://www.macrotrends.net/global-metrics/countries/ITA/ita...
Italy is in a unique position, where all the youth are either leaving for college, or once they get their degree, they leave Italy to go take jobs in other EU countries. Because they're EU citizens, they can live and work anywhere in the EU. The majority of people that are still in Italy, are the older population who are mostly on pension. I'm unsure if it's the entire EU, but forsure in Italy, they receive a pension at a certain age. This, and the work ethic here are completely different than a capitalistic country like the United States. With the given of pension so long as you work, most of the working class do not aspire or create businesses here. Additionally, the cost to create a business here is not as inexpensive as the United States, in some cases it can cost thousands of dollars to setup. While that is not a big hurdle, it should at least start to give you an understanding of the mentality the Italian government have towards business owners. Corporate Income Tax are 24%, however banks and insurances companies are higher with an additional 3.5%
Mortgage in Italy
It's also important to note that there are no Mortgage companies here, everything is done with 1 of the very few banks here. They hold all the cards. When I asked for a loan, they asked if my business received money in Euros. I told them no, they said the best they can do for a mortgage was for me to pay 50% down. That being said the, interest rate was very low. 1%-2%.
Appreciation Value
Over the entire country, the appreciation value of homes only increases 1%-2%. Look above and see the population to learn why.
1 Euro Houses
There are certain towns in Italy where the population growth had dropped dramatically, that some towns have been completely abandon. All the youth have left, maybe the elders are still there or they are deceased and the children don't want the property. Internet capabilities are low, and no one wants to live there. The houses are sold very cheap, however to fix them up, you are usually investing about $30k-$100k to make them livable. As an American, we love our amenities. So I'm sad to say, that because of the local italian government, any reconstruction of these types of buildings, must follow the guidelines of what is allowed and not allowed. You can rent these units out, but there aren't many people who want to rent and live in it. You could set it up as an Airbnb, but that brings me to the next section.
Airbnb & STR Value
Almost all of the major cites, especially Florence, have created bans on new Airbnbin their cities. For the case of Florence, there are college students there who are having a hard time finding housing due to all the units becoming Airbnbs. The government has now started creating laws to stop the growth of Airbnb. It's also important to note that because much of the Italian citizens that are there and can vote are in the older demographic, much of the laws and policies are to keep them happy, which means less development and growth. It also keeps to a nationalistic conservative agenda, and without capitalism, it is just cuts to programs, and no investment into other areas.
I have stayed at Airbnb's in Rome and Naples, and there are Airbnbs of course, but you really need to speak and learn the system. The one in Naples took a 4 bedroom, and divided it up to 4 Airbnb units.
Expat network
Most of the expats I've met here in the south are retired and want to just relax. Many from non-EU countries, and because of Brexit, some brits here that don't want to leave.
Military Housing
One opportunity I did hear about, is military housing. Apparently the US government will pay for the rent of enlisted men if the property is close to a military base. I think this actually happens all over the world, but some landlords will increase their rent to the amount that the US government is willing to spend on rent in that location. So while the rent prices on an island like Sardinia is low, the landlords will increase the prices for the military members because it comes out the US pocketbook.
Rehabs
There are no Home Depots, Walmarts, Costco's. This is on hard mode. What the local shop has, is what you get, unless you want to travel farther to see what else others have. Calling on the phone is usually useless as they'll tell you to come in. Even if you're hours away. And if you need to import something into Italy, add 20% to the cost of whatever it is you want in, due to the VAT tax. (This includes Amazon)
Equity Loan
The last opportunity I've thought about recently, is taking the equity out of the house here in Italy, and investing it into a property in the US where appreciation is higher. Since loans here can be as low as 1% interest, and the LTV is up to 50% a property, I think you can take the equity out, get a small loan here, and put the money into an investment property in the US. The money generated could pay for both loans, and even cash flow.
Italian Buraccuracy
I thought the United States is slow and has poor processes set, but here is absolutely worse. Imagine you aren't able to make a phone call to get information and you need to physically go to where the person is to speak with them. This is how much of the businesses are here, not even talking about the Italian government. The laws shift and change frequently, and no one really seems to understand the process, and if they do, they are never incentivized to actually help you. As I stated above, maybe it is because I'm in the south, but if you attempt to speak with people, conducting due diligence, they become offended you would question anything they provide.
Outside of Real Estate
Many of the business here in the south don't use digital marketing, ads, etc. So anyone who advertises or uses ANY marketing technique, can really advance businesses here.
When it makes sense to invest in Real Estate in Italy
If you are looking for appreciation growth, or increased rental rates, I don't think Italy will be a good investment unless you are getting some of the best areas. I have seen appreciation in Milan as a market. Rome is probably good too, any major city will be much better than the rest of Italy. When you get to rural areas, even in Tuscany, you need to more risk-adverse as the property value might not increase, unless you have another operating business on it like a boutique hotel or vineyard, that you can blast social media influencers to get more people to come. If you don't have a content deliver network to show why people should come to your rural region, you might have a much more difficult time. If you're investing in major cities, you'll have an easier time with occupancy rates for STR for Airbnb, but will have be very cautious about the changing laws. I'd recommend either being in Italy for some time out the year, every year you have property here, or have someone physically here (like me!) who can monitor your investment closely.
I hope this provides some perspective on the situation here in Italy! I'm happy to answer any additional questions as best as I can.
What a well thought out response! I'm curious with you and your wife, how did you decide it was worth it to put the 50% down and purchase? Because you plan to be there a long time? Was it cheaper in the long-run than renting?
Great question Rene!
We actually determined it was NOT worth it to pay 50% down on the property. The first reasons was that it's way too much to come out of pocket. The second reason is that there's no appreciation value. Third reason, which I think many people here in the south have, (and possibly the north), is that the homes for her family are all already paid off. This means there's not really an incentive to buy another house to be able to still be established here in Italy, since it's entirely possible she will inherit it later.
With all of these reasons, it makes more sense to invest in other locations.
Hope this thread isn't completely dead, but I wanted to weigh in my views for investing in Italy.
I've been living here for almost 2 years now, and have been spending time trying to understand the market more. I will preface by saying that I haven't invested here, but I have spoken to other investors who are here. Additionally, I am in the South of Italy, so my perspective will be of that of someone who has studied the people here. (My profile photo is actually me on a boat going across the Adriatic Sea from Brindisi, Italy to Greece) The north and south seem to be different in their views of business, as the south are more relaxed and the north, so I've been told, are more capitalistic. This is only a guess, take it with a gain of salt. I am 'boots on the ground' in case anyone wants to use us to make calls or inquire more information. That said, here is what I've learned.
1. Employment Rate: Italy has historically had one of the lowest employment rates in Europe. In 2024, approximately 62% of Italians aged 15 and above were employed, compared to the European Union average of 71%. This figure represents the highest employment rate ever recorded in Italy, indicating a positive trend despite remaining below the EU average. https://www.statista.com/topics/12899/employment-in-italy/
2. Population Growth Rate: Italy's population has been experiencing a gradual decline. In 2025, the population is estimated at 58,518,843, marking a 0.3% decrease from 2024. This downward trend has been consistent over the past decade, with annual declines ranging from 0.15% to 0.44%. https://www.macrotrends.net/global-metrics/countries/ITA/ita...
3. Birth Rate: The birth rate in Italy has been steadily decreasing. In 2025, it is projected at 7.016 births per 1,000 people, a slight decline from 7.026 in 2024. Over the past decade, the birth rate has dropped from 8.354 in 2015 to 7.016 in 2025, reflecting a continuous decline. https://www.macrotrends.net/global-metrics/countries/ITA/ita...
4. Death Rate: The death rate has been gradually increasing. In 2025, it is projected at 11.119 deaths per 1,000 people, up from 11.026 in 2024. Over the past decade, the death rate has risen from 10.192 in 2014 to 11.119 in 2025. https://www.macrotrends.net/global-metrics/countries/ITA/ita...
Italy is in a unique position, where all the youth are either leaving for college, or once they get their degree, they leave Italy to go take jobs in other EU countries. Because they're EU citizens, they can live and work anywhere in the EU. The majority of people that are still in Italy, are the older population who are mostly on pension. I'm unsure if it's the entire EU, but forsure in Italy, they receive a pension at a certain age. This, and the work ethic here are completely different than a capitalistic country like the United States. With the given of pension so long as you work, most of the working class do not aspire or create businesses here. Additionally, the cost to create a business here is not as inexpensive as the United States, in some cases it can cost thousands of dollars to setup. While that is not a big hurdle, it should at least start to give you an understanding of the mentality the Italian government have towards business owners. Corporate Income Tax are 24%, however banks and insurances companies are higher with an additional 3.5%
Mortgage in Italy
It's also important to note that there are no Mortgage companies here, everything is done with 1 of the very few banks here. They hold all the cards. When I asked for a loan, they asked if my business received money in Euros. I told them no, they said the best they can do for a mortgage was for me to pay 50% down. That being said the, interest rate was very low. 1%-2%.
Appreciation Value
Over the entire country, the appreciation value of homes only increases 1%-2%. Look above and see the population to learn why.
1 Euro Houses
There are certain towns in Italy where the population growth had dropped dramatically, that some towns have been completely abandon. All the youth have left, maybe the elders are still there or they are deceased and the children don't want the property. Internet capabilities are low, and no one wants to live there. The houses are sold very cheap, however to fix them up, you are usually investing about $30k-$100k to make them livable. As an American, we love our amenities. So I'm sad to say, that because of the local italian government, any reconstruction of these types of buildings, must follow the guidelines of what is allowed and not allowed. You can rent these units out, but there aren't many people who want to rent and live in it. You could set it up as an Airbnb, but that brings me to the next section.
Airbnb & STR Value
Almost all of the major cites, especially Florence, have created bans on new Airbnbin their cities. For the case of Florence, there are college students there who are having a hard time finding housing due to all the units becoming Airbnbs. The government has now started creating laws to stop the growth of Airbnb. It's also important to note that because much of the Italian citizens that are there and can vote are in the older demographic, much of the laws and policies are to keep them happy, which means less development and growth. It also keeps to a nationalistic conservative agenda, and without capitalism, it is just cuts to programs, and no investment into other areas.
I have stayed at Airbnb's in Rome and Naples, and there are Airbnbs of course, but you really need to speak and learn the system. The one in Naples took a 4 bedroom, and divided it up to 4 Airbnb units.
Expat network
Most of the expats I've met here in the south are retired and want to just relax. Many from non-EU countries, and because of Brexit, some brits here that don't want to leave.
Military Housing
One opportunity I did hear about, is military housing. Apparently the US government will pay for the rent of enlisted men if the property is close to a military base. I think this actually happens all over the world, but some landlords will increase their rent to the amount that the US government is willing to spend on rent in that location. So while the rent prices on an island like Sardinia is low, the landlords will increase the prices for the military members because it comes out the US pocketbook.
Rehabs
There are no Home Depots, Walmarts, Costco's. This is on hard mode. What the local shop has, is what you get, unless you want to travel farther to see what else others have. Calling on the phone is usually useless as they'll tell you to come in. Even if you're hours away. And if you need to import something into Italy, add 20% to the cost of whatever it is you want in, due to the VAT tax. (This includes Amazon)
Equity Loan
The last opportunity I've thought about recently, is taking the equity out of the house here in Italy, and investing it into a property in the US where appreciation is higher. Since loans here can be as low as 1% interest, and the LTV is up to 50% a property, I think you can take the equity out, get a small loan here, and put the money into an investment property in the US. The money generated could pay for both loans, and even cash flow.
Italian Buraccuracy
I thought the United States is slow and has poor processes set, but here is absolutely worse. Imagine you aren't able to make a phone call to get information and you need to physically go to where the person is to speak with them. This is how much of the businesses are here, not even talking about the Italian government. The laws shift and change frequently, and no one really seems to understand the process, and if they do, they are never incentivized to actually help you. As I stated above, maybe it is because I'm in the south, but if you attempt to speak with people, conducting due diligence, they become offended you would question anything they provide.
Outside of Real Estate
Many of the business here in the south don't use digital marketing, ads, etc. So anyone who advertises or uses ANY marketing technique, can really advance businesses here.
When it makes sense to invest in Real Estate in Italy
If you are looking for appreciation growth, or increased rental rates, I don't think Italy will be a good investment unless you are getting some of the best areas. I have seen appreciation in Milan as a market. Rome is probably good too, any major city will be much better than the rest of Italy. When you get to rural areas, even in Tuscany, you need to more risk-adverse as the property value might not increase, unless you have another operating business on it like a boutique hotel or vineyard, that you can blast social media influencers to get more people to come. If you don't have a content deliver network to show why people should come to your rural region, you might have a much more difficult time. If you're investing in major cities, you'll have an easier time with occupancy rates for STR for Airbnb, but will have be very cautious about the changing laws. I'd recommend either being in Italy for some time out the year, every year you have property here, or have someone physically here (like me!) who can monitor your investment closely.
I hope this provides some perspective on the situation here in Italy! I'm happy to answer any additional questions as best as I can.
What a well thought out response! I'm curious with you and your wife, how did you decide it was worth it to put the 50% down and purchase? Because you plan to be there a long time? Was it cheaper in the long-run than renting?
Great question Rene!
We actually determined it was NOT worth it to pay 50% down on the property. The first reasons was that it's way too much to come out of pocket. The second reason is that there's no appreciation value. Third reason, which I think many people here in the south have, (and possibly the north), is that the homes for her family are all already paid off. This means there's not really an incentive to buy another house to be able to still be established here in Italy, since it's entirely possible she will inherit it later.
With all of these reasons, it makes more sense to invest in other locations.
Ah yes that makes sense, when you said something in a later post about taking an equity loan and using that to purchase in the US I misunderstood that to mean you HAD decided to purchase. But your reasons for not purchasing are sound!
I live near Nice France half the year. Europe is not a good market for investing. It’s too much to explain, just not worth it… Invest in America, vacation/live in Europe…
Europe is as big as the US and the differences between markets is even bigger because Europe is made up of different countries. Like in the US, there are good and bad areas for investing. The area around Nice isn't the best area to invest (although you might get some nice capital gains there) but here are plenty of areas that are great and where you can get much higher returns than you generally get in the US. Real estate is local.
The value is just fine here, as it is one of the most desired locations in the Côte d'Azur, and being next door to Monaco, which is one of the wealthiest places on the planet. American's generally do not understand the market deferences, financing laws, and housing laws. I live here, and I own here, but I keep my investments in America, and most my Italian and French friends do the same. I think @Chris Magistrado 2 year update post about the market, rentals, etc is a good insight to what the market really is like for most the region.
@Levi T. As I suggested and you confirmed, the Côte d'Azur is a great place for capital gains but what I meant isn't necessarily where you're going to get high rental yields.
What @Chris Magistrado mentioned represents a good depiction of the situation in Southern Italy. But Southern Italy is not representative of the majority of Europe. I'm European, spent most of my life in Europe and have owned property in several European countries and I can tell you categorically that it doesn't not reflect the situation in most European markets and, by the way, Chris rightfully never suggested that it does.
Of course, if Americans want to reap the benefits of investing in Europe, they'd ideally need to, as you suggest, get the right market knowledge, understand the local financing and housing laws and I'd add to this the legal system. But isn't that's par for the course? What prevents them from doing that?
Now, if they don't want to do that for whatever reason and don't have anybody to work with who would do that for you, I'd have to agree with you that they'd better invest at home rather than getting involved in something they don't understand. Mind you, even if you invest at home, you need to do the/some work.
@Levi T. As I suggested and you confirmed, the Côte d'Azur is a great place for capital gains but what I meant isn't necessarily where you're going to get high rental yields.
What @Chris Magistrado mentioned represents a good depiction of the situation in Southern Italy. But Southern Italy is not representative of the majority of Europe. I'm European, spent most of my life in Europe and have owned property in several European countries and I can tell you categorically that it doesn't not reflect the situation in most European markets and, by the way, Chris rightfully never suggested that it does.
Of course, if Americans want to reap the benefits of investing in Europe, they'd ideally need to, as you suggest, get the right market knowledge, understand the local financing and housing laws and I'd add to this the legal system. But isn't that's par for the course? What prevents them from doing that?
Now, if they don't want to do that for whatever reason and don't have anybody to work with who would do that for you, I'd have to agree with you that they'd better invest at home rather than getting involved in something they don't understand. Mind you, even if you invest at home, you need to do the/some work.
Taxes are another item on your deal analysis. We invest in Belize. Zero capital gain tax, next to zero income tax, property Tax is super small. Say $100 on a $500,000 property. They fund their government thru Tariffs.
Uruguay which I’m in the middle of checking out has a 11 year income tax waiver.
Problem with both of the above as a U.S. citizen you still have to pay taxes on your overseas income.
Basically you have to check everything out.

Just do your numbers and control the deal to make money.
@Levi T. As I suggested and you confirmed, the Côte d'Azur is a great place for capital gains but what I meant isn't necessarily where you're going to get high rental yields.
What @Chris Magistrado mentioned represents a good depiction of the situation in Southern Italy. But Southern Italy is not representative of the majority of Europe. I'm European, spent most of my life in Europe and have owned property in several European countries and I can tell you categorically that it doesn't not reflect the situation in most European markets and, by the way, Chris rightfully never suggested that it does.
Of course, if Americans want to reap the benefits of investing in Europe, they'd ideally need to, as you suggest, get the right market knowledge, understand the local financing and housing laws and I'd add to this the legal system. But isn't that's par for the course? What prevents them from doing that?
Now, if they don't want to do that for whatever reason and don't have anybody to work with who would do that for you, I'd have to agree with you that they'd better invest at home rather than getting involved in something they don't understand. Mind you, even if you invest at home, you need to do the/some work.
You're welcome and you're correct. However, between the much lower mortgage interest rate in Europe and a better tax treatment in the US, I'd choose the former. There is no contest.
@Levi T. As I suggested and you confirmed, the Côte d'Azur is a great place for capital gains but what I meant isn't necessarily where you're going to get high rental yields.
What @Chris Magistrado mentioned represents a good depiction of the situation in Southern Italy. But Southern Italy is not representative of the majority of Europe. I'm European, spent most of my life in Europe and have owned property in several European countries and I can tell you categorically that it doesn't not reflect the situation in most European markets and, by the way, Chris rightfully never suggested that it does.
Of course, if Americans want to reap the benefits of investing in Europe, they'd ideally need to, as you suggest, get the right market knowledge, understand the local financing and housing laws and I'd add to this the legal system. But isn't that's par for the course? What prevents them from doing that?
Now, if they don't want to do that for whatever reason and don't have anybody to work with who would do that for you, I'd have to agree with you that they'd better invest at home rather than getting involved in something they don't understand. Mind you, even if you invest at home, you need to do the/some work.
You're welcome and you're correct. However, between the much lower mortgage interest rate in Europe and a better tax treatment in the US, I'd choose the former. There is no contest.
Gotcha that makes sense. I thought people would just refinance their loan if they got it at a high interest rate, reducing the risk of jumping into the market at a bad cycle.
@Montse C., @Mike Lambert, @Henry Clark are you able to pull out equity of a property and use it to purchase another property like in the US? LTV 70%-80%, etc. What does it look like to scale a portfolio in Europe?
Any of my comments aren’t for or against Europe investing. Just more balls to juggle.
You still have to consider US tax laws overseas. Which is good and bad. You can still do a 1031 exchange foreign to foreign asset. Not foreign to US. Can still use the $250k primary residence deduction per spouse on capital gains. Bad- if your income tax is lower over there you still have to pay up to the US rate.
Scaling- your question is both country and even town specific. In Italy your second house or even a duplex section the income is taxed higher. Zoning- certain towns are starting to restrict Airbnb type rental units. Even the banking is town or region specific for the same bank. A national bank will work in concert with the local town to determine financing.
You also will really have to look at your market. As @Mike Lambert mentioned the Southern Italy market where you are at is a totally different market than the rest of Europe and even within Italy. Prices are far lower there “relatively” speaking due to low demand. Great for personal residence but not for scaling. I would want to chase the tourist crowds. Even high density local population areas I would not want since most don’t make that much money.
I would pick a market area you like and start doing a bunch of deep dive deal analysis, but from a rental and not a life style standpoint. We are doing a lot of traveling now and have found many areas we would buy a primary, but without doing the numbers not sure we would scale there. Silema, Malta; Lucca, Italy; Taormina area, Sicily; Palermo, Sicily; Amalfi coast; Cinque Terra; Pontedore; San Sebastián, Spain; etc. Although we would buy a primary at any of those; have to run the numbers to see if rentals are worth it.
Any of my comments aren’t for or against Europe investing. Just more balls to juggle.
You still have to consider US tax laws overseas. Which is good and bad. You can still do a 1031 exchange foreign to foreign asset. Not foreign to US. Can still use the $250k primary residence deduction per spouse on capital gains. Bad- if your income tax is lower over there you still have to pay up to the US rate.
Scaling- your question is both country and even town specific. In Italy your second house or even a duplex section the income is taxed higher. Zoning- certain towns are starting to restrict Airbnb type rental units. Even the banking is town or region specific for the same bank. A national bank will work in concert with the local town to determine financing.
You also will really have to look at your market. As @Mike Lambert mentioned the Southern Italy market where you are at is a totally different market than the rest of Europe and even within Italy. Prices are far lower there “relatively” speaking due to low demand. Great for personal residence but not for scaling. I would want to chase the tourist crowds. Even high density local population areas I would not want since most don’t make that much money.
I would pick a market area you like and start doing a bunch of deep dive deal analysis, but from a rental and not a life style standpoint. We are doing a lot of traveling now and have found many areas we would buy a primary, but without doing the numbers not sure we would scale there. Silema, Malta; Lucca, Italy; Taormina area, Sicily; Palermo, Sicily; Amalfi coast; Cinque Terra; Pontedore; San Sebastián, Spain; etc. Although we would buy a primary at any of those; have to run the numbers to see if rentals are worth it.
Gotcha that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for your reply!
Refinancing could be done in certain countries and situations. It's a matter of case by case but I doubt that it could be done in Italy. As far as I know, it generally doesn't work in the US anymore as you describe now that interest rates have returned to a normal level.
I totally agree with @Henry Clark that, if I want to invest in Italy, I want mass tourism and STRs. A few years back, there were opportunities in the best markets (Venice, Florence and Rome) but they might have disappeared.
@Levi T. As I suggested and you confirmed, the Côte d'Azur is a great place for capital gains but what I meant isn't necessarily where you're going to get high rental yields.
What @Chris Magistrado mentioned represents a good depiction of the situation in Southern Italy. But Southern Italy is not representative of the majority of Europe. I'm European, spent most of my life in Europe and have owned property in several European countries and I can tell you categorically that it doesn't not reflect the situation in most European markets and, by the way, Chris rightfully never suggested that it does.
Of course, if Americans want to reap the benefits of investing in Europe, they'd ideally need to, as you suggest, get the right market knowledge, understand the local financing and housing laws and I'd add to this the legal system. But isn't that's par for the course? What prevents them from doing that?
Now, if they don't want to do that for whatever reason and don't have anybody to work with who would do that for you, I'd have to agree with you that they'd better invest at home rather than getting involved in something they don't understand. Mind you, even if you invest at home, you need to do the/some work.
You're welcome and you're correct. However, between the much lower mortgage interest rate in Europe and a better tax treatment in the US, I'd choose the former. There is no contest.
Gotcha that makes sense. I thought people would just refinance their loan if they got it at a high interest rate, reducing the risk of jumping into the market at a bad cycle.
@Montse C., @Mike Lambert, @Henry Clark are you able to pull out equity of a property and use it to purchase another property like in the US? LTV 70%-80%, etc. What does it look like to scale a portfolio in Europe?
Hello!
In Europe, it is indeed possible to withdraw equity from a property through refinancing, but the conditions vary by country and lender. In the Netherlands, for example, banks typically offer refinancing options with a Loan to Value (LTV) of up to 80% in some cases, depending on the property and the borrower’s financial history. This equity can be used to acquire another property.
However, there are some important differences compared to the U.S.:
To scale a portfolio in Europe, a common strategy is to reinvest rental income and refinance properties as their value increases over time.
Any of my comments aren’t for or against Europe investing. Just more balls to juggle.
You still have to consider US tax laws overseas. Which is good and bad. You can still do a 1031 exchange foreign to foreign asset. Not foreign to US. Can still use the $250k primary residence deduction per spouse on capital gains. Bad- if your income tax is lower over there you still have to pay up to the US rate.
Scaling- your question is both country and even town specific. In Italy your second house or even a duplex section the income is taxed higher. Zoning- certain towns are starting to restrict Airbnb type rental units. Even the banking is town or region specific for the same bank. A national bank will work in concert with the local town to determine financing.
You also will really have to look at your market. As @Mike Lambert mentioned the Southern Italy market where you are at is a totally different market than the rest of Europe and even within Italy. Prices are far lower there “relatively” speaking due to low demand. Great for personal residence but not for scaling. I would want to chase the tourist crowds. Even high density local population areas I would not want since most don’t make that much money.
I would pick a market area you like and start doing a bunch of deep dive deal analysis, but from a rental and not a life style standpoint. We are doing a lot of traveling now and have found many areas we would buy a primary, but without doing the numbers not sure we would scale there. Silema, Malta; Lucca, Italy; Taormina area, Sicily; Palermo, Sicily; Amalfi coast; Cinque Terra; Pontedore; San Sebastián, Spain; etc. Although we would buy a primary at any of those; have to run the numbers to see if rentals are worth it.
You’ve mentioned some excellent points about the complexities of scaling a portfolio in Europe and the importance of understanding local markets. From my experience in the Netherlands and Spain, I can confirm that each country, and even specific cities, can have very different rules regarding taxes, financing, and zoning.
For example:
Regarding your comment that Southern Italy is very different from the rest of Europe, I would say it is actually quite similar to Southern Spain in many ways. For example, Southern Spain tends to be more affordable than the north, especially if you look at rural areas or small villages. Just like in Southern Italy, where houses are sold for as little as one euro, similar initiatives exist in Spain to attract people to repopulate villages and revitalize these areas.
In fact, many Dutch investors are purchasing properties in Spanish villages to restore them and bring life back to these communities. It’s an interesting trend that benefits both the investors and the local population, as it helps balance the overpopulation of cities while preserving rural heritage.
Another point you mentioned, about “not being for or against investing in Europe, but that it simply adds more elements to manage,” is very insightful. I believe that investing in Europe is just as possible for Americans as investing in the U.S. is for Europeans. Sometimes, stepping out of our comfort zone is necessary to discover new opportunities. Staying in one market can limit long-term growth.
For example, in my case, while we currently manage investments in Europe, I am evaluating the possibility of investing in the U.S. soon. We see that the U.S. market offers more financing options and greater flexibility compared to Europe. My question would be @Chris Magistrado, @Mike Lanbert, @henry clark Is it possible to remotely invest in a property in the U.S.? I am curious to learn how these operations are managed from abroad.
Any of my comments aren’t for or against Europe investing. Just more balls to juggle.
You still have to consider US tax laws overseas. Which is good and bad. You can still do a 1031 exchange foreign to foreign asset. Not foreign to US. Can still use the $250k primary residence deduction per spouse on capital gains. Bad- if your income tax is lower over there you still have to pay up to the US rate.
Scaling- your question is both country and even town specific. In Italy your second house or even a duplex section the income is taxed higher. Zoning- certain towns are starting to restrict Airbnb type rental units. Even the banking is town or region specific for the same bank. A national bank will work in concert with the local town to determine financing.
You also will really have to look at your market. As @Mike Lambert mentioned the Southern Italy market where you are at is a totally different market than the rest of Europe and even within Italy. Prices are far lower there “relatively” speaking due to low demand. Great for personal residence but not for scaling. I would want to chase the tourist crowds. Even high density local population areas I would not want since most don’t make that much money.
I would pick a market area you like and start doing a bunch of deep dive deal analysis, but from a rental and not a life style standpoint. We are doing a lot of traveling now and have found many areas we would buy a primary, but without doing the numbers not sure we would scale there. Silema, Malta; Lucca, Italy; Taormina area, Sicily; Palermo, Sicily; Amalfi coast; Cinque Terra; Pontedore; San Sebastián, Spain; etc. Although we would buy a primary at any of those; have to run the numbers to see if rentals are worth it.
You’ve mentioned some excellent points about the complexities of scaling a portfolio in Europe and the importance of understanding local markets. From my experience in the Netherlands and Spain, I can confirm that each country, and even specific cities, can have very different rules regarding taxes, financing, and zoning.
For example:
Regarding your comment that Southern Italy is very different from the rest of Europe, I would say it is actually quite similar to Southern Spain in many ways. For example, Southern Spain tends to be more affordable than the north, especially if you look at rural areas or small villages. Just like in Southern Italy, where houses are sold for as little as one euro, similar initiatives exist in Spain to attract people to repopulate villages and revitalize these areas.
In fact, many Dutch investors are purchasing properties in Spanish villages to restore them and bring life back to these communities. It’s an interesting trend that benefits both the investors and the local population, as it helps balance the overpopulation of cities while preserving rural heritage.
Another point you mentioned, about “not being for or against investing in Europe, but that it simply adds more elements to manage,” is very insightful. I believe that investing in Europe is just as possible for Americans as investing in the U.S. is for Europeans. Sometimes, stepping out of our comfort zone is necessary to discover new opportunities. Staying in one market can limit long-term growth.
For example, in my case, while we currently manage investments in Europe, I am evaluating the possibility of investing in the U.S. soon. We see that the U.S. market offers more financing options and greater flexibility compared to Europe. My question would be @Chris Magistrado, @Mike Lanbert, @henry clark Is it possible to remotely invest in a property in the U.S.? I am curious to learn how these operations are managed from abroad.
I was totally shocked to read your comparison between Southern Spain and Southern Italy as it makes absolutely no sense to me, especially from a real estate point of view. What you wrote is actually kinda correct and I quote: "I would say it is actually quite similar to Southern Spain in many ways. For example, Southern Spain tends to be more affordable than the north, especially if you look at rural areas or small villages. Just like in Southern Italy, where houses are sold for as little as one euro, similar initiatives exist in Spain to attract people to repopulate villages and revitalize these areas." the one part I'd disagree with is "many".
So why was I shocked then? Because your statements are extremely misleading (unintentionally I suppose). Indeed, BP is about real estate and:
1. I haven't seen any statistics to this effect and I don't think any has necessarily been compiled but I bet I wouldn't exaggerate if I state that 95% of the value of real estate in Southern Spain or at least the province of Andalucia is in the Costa del Sol. The Costa del Sol is one of the world's most successful tourism success in the world ever. It started in the 1960's or something and has gone from success to success, overcoming all crises. Nowadays, people from all over the world vacation, work temporarily, move (with or without their business) and retire in the Costa del Sol. Many billionaires and celebrities own property there, including lots of Americans.The infrastructure is top notch. And it goes well beyond that. Even the main city of Malaga, who was considered a backwater city just 10 years ago has become very popular and is now turning itself in a little Silicon Valley and banking center. The Costa del Sol has been pulling the economy of Andalucia, Southern Spain in general and the whole country for decades.
2. Nobody on here is likely interested in investing in a small village in Southern Spain as it would make no sense but there are loads of Americans investing in the Costa del Sol so it's important to focus on what matters to the community if we want to help and make sure we don't discourage them with involuntarily misleading statement.
In comparison, Southern Italy has none of that, expect for the little Amalfi Coast at a very small scale. And then, the proof is in the pudding as far as what interests us, real estate. While real estate prices have been steadily increasing in Southern Spain over the last decades, they've been steadily declining in Southern Italy.
I was even more shocked as I assumed that Montse would be your first name and you therefore would be Spanish (I found that out because somebody called Montse joined the owners' Facebook group of a community in which we own a condo in the Costa del Sol). But then, looking at your profile, I realized you live in the Netherlands now. If you have time, I'd suggest you travel through Southern Spain and then Southern Italy and then you tell us if it's similar. You might be very pleasantly surprised.
To conclude, it's great to have more new members like you from Europe contributing to the forum. Personally, I always try to avoid general statements that could be misleading. My whole point to responding to your post here is to help avoid that people who might have been considering investing in the Costa del Sol discard the opportunity because they think it's like Southern Italy.
I was totally shocked to read your comparison between Southern Spain and Southern Italy as it makes absolutely no sense to me, especially from a real estate point of view. What you wrote is actually kinda correct and I quote: "I would say it is actually quite similar to Southern Spain in many ways. For example, Southern Spain tends to be more affordable than the north, especially if you look at rural areas or small villages. Just like in Southern Italy, where houses are sold for as little as one euro, similar initiatives exist in Spain to attract people to repopulate villages and revitalize these areas." the one part I'd disagree with is "many".
So why was I shocked then? Because your statements are extremely misleading (unintentionally I suppose). Indeed, BP is about real estate and:
1. I haven't seen any statistics to this effect and I don't think any has necessarily been compiled but I bet I wouldn't exaggerate if I state that 95% of the value of real estate in Southern Spain or at least the province of Andalucia is in the Costa del Sol. The Costa del Sol is one of the world's most successful tourism success in the world ever. It started in the 1960's or something and has gone from success to success, overcoming all crises. Nowadays, people from all over the world vacation, work temporarily, move (with or without their business) and retire in the Costa del Sol. Many billionaires and celebrities own property there, including lots of Americans.The infrastructure is top notch. And it goes well beyond that. Even the main city of Malaga, who was considered a backwater city just 10 years ago has become very popular and is now turning itself in a little Silicon Valley and banking center. The Costa del Sol has been pulling the economy of Andalucia, Southern Spain in general and the whole country for decades.
2. Nobody on here is likely interested in investing in a small village in Southern Spain as it would make no sense but there are loads of Americans investing in the Costa del Sol so it's important to focus on what matters to the community if we want to help and make sure we don't discourage them with involuntarily misleading statement.
In comparison, Southern Italy has none of that, expect for the little Amalfi Coast at a very small scale. And then, the proof is in the pudding as far as what interests us, real estate. While real estate prices have been steadily increasing in Southern Spain over the last decades, they've been steadily declining in Southern Italy.
I was even more shocked as I assumed that Montse would be your first name and you therefore would be Spanish (I found that out because somebody called Montse joined the owners' Facebook group of a community in which we own a condo in the Costa del Sol). But then, looking at your profile, I realized you live in the Netherlands now. If you have time, I'd suggest you travel through Southern Spain and then Southern Italy and then you tell us if it's similar. You might be very pleasantly surprised.
To conclude, it's great to have more new members like you from Europe contributing to the forum. Personally, I always try to avoid general statements that could be misleading. My whole point to responding to your post here is to help avoid that people who might have been considering investing in the Costa del Sol discard the opportunity because they think it's like Southern Italy.
Hi Mike,
First, I want to emphasize that my intention was never to provide misleading information. At no point did I specifically mention the Costa del Sol in my comparison between Southern Spain and Southern Italy. Andalucía is much more than just the Costa del Sol, and my intention was to speak about Southern Spain in general, including rural areas and small villages, which can also offer opportunities depending on the type of investment being sought.
When I spoke of similarities with Southern Italy, I did not mean they were categorically identical but rather that they share certain characteristics, such as affordability in rural areas and initiatives to revitalize villages. These initiatives exist in both Italy and Spain but are not meant to compete with developed areas like the Costa del Sol.
That said, it’s important to note that I know the Costa del Sol very well, as my parents are from the region. Additionally, I split my time living between Spain and the Netherlands, giving me a fairly broad perspective on both countries. For this reason, I find it surprising that you would question my knowledge of the region without knowing me. I believe making statements about me based on assumptions does not contribute to a constructive dialogue. No one holds absolute truth, and there’s always room to expand our perspective through the exchange of experiences.
I am fully aware of the Costa del Sol’s significance as an economic engine for the region and as one of the most globally relevant destinations. However, I believe limiting a discussion about Southern Spain exclusively to the Costa del Sol overlooks the diversity of opportunities the region offers beyond mass tourism and highly developed areas.
Regarding your comments about my name and the fact that I reside in the Netherlands, I fail to see how this could affect the validity of my observations. As someone commenting from their experience as a Spanish national and someone familiar with both markets, my goal is to share perspectives based on my personal and professional knowledge.
I understand that you have a different perspective, and I appreciate you sharing it. I believe that these types of exchanges are important to enrich the discussion and add value to the community. My intention is not to discourage anyone from investing in the Costa del Sol, especially considering that I never specifically referred to this region. My goal was to provide a broader perspective for those who might be considering other opportunities in Southern Europe.
Montse
Any of my comments aren’t for or against Europe investing. Just more balls to juggle.
You still have to consider US tax laws overseas. Which is good and bad. You can still do a 1031 exchange foreign to foreign asset. Not foreign to US. Can still use the $250k primary residence deduction per spouse on capital gains. Bad- if your income tax is lower over there you still have to pay up to the US rate.
Scaling- your question is both country and even town specific. In Italy your second house or even a duplex section the income is taxed higher. Zoning- certain towns are starting to restrict Airbnb type rental units. Even the banking is town or region specific for the same bank. A national bank will work in concert with the local town to determine financing.
You also will really have to look at your market. As @Mike Lambert mentioned the Southern Italy market where you are at is a totally different market than the rest of Europe and even within Italy. Prices are far lower there “relatively” speaking due to low demand. Great for personal residence but not for scaling. I would want to chase the tourist crowds. Even high density local population areas I would not want since most don’t make that much money.
I would pick a market area you like and start doing a bunch of deep dive deal analysis, but from a rental and not a life style standpoint. We are doing a lot of traveling now and have found many areas we would buy a primary, but without doing the numbers not sure we would scale there. Silema, Malta; Lucca, Italy; Taormina area, Sicily; Palermo, Sicily; Amalfi coast; Cinque Terra; Pontedore; San Sebastián, Spain; etc. Although we would buy a primary at any of those; have to run the numbers to see if rentals are worth it.
You’ve mentioned some excellent points about the complexities of scaling a portfolio in Europe and the importance of understanding local markets. From my experience in the Netherlands and Spain, I can confirm that each country, and even specific cities, can have very different rules regarding taxes, financing, and zoning.
For example:
Regarding your comment that Southern Italy is very different from the rest of Europe, I would say it is actually quite similar to Southern Spain in many ways. For example, Southern Spain tends to be more affordable than the north, especially if you look at rural areas or small villages. Just like in Southern Italy, where houses are sold for as little as one euro, similar initiatives exist in Spain to attract people to repopulate villages and revitalize these areas.
In fact, many Dutch investors are purchasing properties in Spanish villages to restore them and bring life back to these communities. It’s an interesting trend that benefits both the investors and the local population, as it helps balance the overpopulation of cities while preserving rural heritage.
Another point you mentioned, about “not being for or against investing in Europe, but that it simply adds more elements to manage,” is very insightful. I believe that investing in Europe is just as possible for Americans as investing in the U.S. is for Europeans. Sometimes, stepping out of our comfort zone is necessary to discover new opportunities. Staying in one market can limit long-term growth.
For example, in my case, while we currently manage investments in Europe, I am evaluating the possibility of investing in the U.S. soon. We see that the U.S. market offers more financing options and greater flexibility compared to Europe. My question would be @Chris Magistrado, @Mike Lanbert, @henry clark Is it possible to remotely invest in a property in the U.S.? I am curious to learn how these operations are managed from abroad.
Thank you for sharing such detailed information. I have a fairly clear understanding of how to manage the administrative side of setting up an LLC or handling legal aspects from outside the United States. However, what I'm not so clear on is how to execute a flipping house project remotely. It seems like a complex process, especially when it comes to coordinating contractors, supervising renovations, and ensuring everything goes according to plan.
Could you share any advice or practical experience on how to handle these types of projects efficiently from a distance? What would be the key steps to successfully complete a flipping house project without being physically present? I’d greatly appreciate any insights on tools, contacts, or strategies that could make this type of investment more manageable. 😊
Hey @Montse C.!
I do have some resources of investing from a distance. Here are all my notes on investing in properties out-of-state, which is also the same as international to the United States.
My notes are from David Greene's book, Long-Distance Real Estate Investing: How to Buy, Rehab, and Manage Out-of-State Rentals.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1blQFIKSls6JDHdl7srVMhXd8...
For personal experience on flipping remotely, I wouldn't be the best person to speak on this. I'll start asking around here in the forums on how this could be done, but I imagine it would require a person managing the project for the life of the asset, until sold. =)
I was totally shocked to read your comparison between Southern Spain and Southern Italy as it makes absolutely no sense to me, especially from a real estate point of view. What you wrote is actually kinda correct and I quote: "I would say it is actually quite similar to Southern Spain in many ways. For example, Southern Spain tends to be more affordable than the north, especially if you look at rural areas or small villages. Just like in Southern Italy, where houses are sold for as little as one euro, similar initiatives exist in Spain to attract people to repopulate villages and revitalize these areas." the one part I'd disagree with is "many".
So why was I shocked then? Because your statements are extremely misleading (unintentionally I suppose). Indeed, BP is about real estate and:
1. I haven't seen any statistics to this effect and I don't think any has necessarily been compiled but I bet I wouldn't exaggerate if I state that 95% of the value of real estate in Southern Spain or at least the province of Andalucia is in the Costa del Sol. The Costa del Sol is one of the world's most successful tourism success in the world ever. It started in the 1960's or something and has gone from success to success, overcoming all crises. Nowadays, people from all over the world vacation, work temporarily, move (with or without their business) and retire in the Costa del Sol. Many billionaires and celebrities own property there, including lots of Americans.The infrastructure is top notch. And it goes well beyond that. Even the main city of Malaga, who was considered a backwater city just 10 years ago has become very popular and is now turning itself in a little Silicon Valley and banking center. The Costa del Sol has been pulling the economy of Andalucia, Southern Spain in general and the whole country for decades.
2. Nobody on here is likely interested in investing in a small village in Southern Spain as it would make no sense but there are loads of Americans investing in the Costa del Sol so it's important to focus on what matters to the community if we want to help and make sure we don't discourage them with involuntarily misleading statement.
In comparison, Southern Italy has none of that, expect for the little Amalfi Coast at a very small scale. And then, the proof is in the pudding as far as what interests us, real estate. While real estate prices have been steadily increasing in Southern Spain over the last decades, they've been steadily declining in Southern Italy.
I was even more shocked as I assumed that Montse would be your first name and you therefore would be Spanish (I found that out because somebody called Montse joined the owners' Facebook group of a community in which we own a condo in the Costa del Sol). But then, looking at your profile, I realized you live in the Netherlands now. If you have time, I'd suggest you travel through Southern Spain and then Southern Italy and then you tell us if it's similar. You might be very pleasantly surprised.
To conclude, it's great to have more new members like you from Europe contributing to the forum. Personally, I always try to avoid general statements that could be misleading. My whole point to responding to your post here is to help avoid that people who might have been considering investing in the Costa del Sol discard the opportunity because they think it's like Southern Italy.
Hi Mike,
First, I want to emphasize that my intention was never to provide misleading information. At no point did I specifically mention the Costa del Sol in my comparison between Southern Spain and Southern Italy. Andalucía is much more than just the Costa del Sol, and my intention was to speak about Southern Spain in general, including rural areas and small villages, which can also offer opportunities depending on the type of investment being sought.
When I spoke of similarities with Southern Italy, I did not mean they were categorically identical but rather that they share certain characteristics, such as affordability in rural areas and initiatives to revitalize villages. These initiatives exist in both Italy and Spain but are not meant to compete with developed areas like the Costa del Sol.
That said, it’s important to note that I know the Costa del Sol very well, as my parents are from the region. Additionally, I split my time living between Spain and the Netherlands, giving me a fairly broad perspective on both countries. For this reason, I find it surprising that you would question my knowledge of the region without knowing me. I believe making statements about me based on assumptions does not contribute to a constructive dialogue. No one holds absolute truth, and there’s always room to expand our perspective through the exchange of experiences.
I am fully aware of the Costa del Sol’s significance as an economic engine for the region and as one of the most globally relevant destinations. However, I believe limiting a discussion about Southern Spain exclusively to the Costa del Sol overlooks the diversity of opportunities the region offers beyond mass tourism and highly developed areas.
Regarding your comments about my name and the fact that I reside in the Netherlands, I fail to see how this could affect the validity of my observations. As someone commenting from their experience as a Spanish national and someone familiar with both markets, my goal is to share perspectives based on my personal and professional knowledge.
I understand that you have a different perspective, and I appreciate you sharing it. I believe that these types of exchanges are important to enrich the discussion and add value to the community. My intention is not to discourage anyone from investing in the Costa del Sol, especially considering that I never specifically referred to this region. My goal was to provide a broader perspective for those who might be considering other opportunities in Southern Europe.
Montse
Hi Montse,
There's no need to defend yourself when you're not attacked. If you reread my post, you'll see that I was clear that my purpose was to avoid that what you wrote would unintentionally mislead. Also, I never question your knowledge of the region. I was just surprised that a Spaniard would make the comparison you made.
It's a fact of life that some people hate to be contradicted and can't make the difference between a discussion over a specific matter and a personal attack (I'm taking in general here). Knowing that you're new in the forum and to avoid a potential reaction of the style "Who's this idiot who thinks he knows my country better than me?", I went to extra lengths to make sure that you wouldn't take my post as a personal attack by starting by mentioning that I agree with what you wrote and concluding by mentioning that the sole purpose of my post was to make sure that yours wasn't intentionally misleading.
So, over the form, my suggestion as an elder of the forum would be for you to not take everything personally and, if you still think you're being personally attacked (it can happen to everyone), read the post again and make sure you don't misinterpreted what the author meant before publicly complaining about him/her.
Most importantly, over the content, you're correct that the Costa del Sol isn't the whole of Southern Spain. However, you forgot/didn't mention the Costa del Sol, which, from an international real estate point of view (the topic here), is what matters. The fact of the matter is that the overall majority of international investors who invest in Southern Spain justifiably only do so in the Costa del Sol. Unfortunately, such an opportunity doesn't exist in Southern Italy, whereby the comparison between Southern Spain and Southern Italy, while valid when it comes to the situation of some small villages in the back country, doesn't make sense when it comes to international real estate investments. But there's no need for you or anyone to take my word for it. Just check the facts and figures.
Like you suggested, there are various opinions, which are all valuable and it's great like that. However, as the saying goes, while everyone is entitled to their own opinion, nobody is entitled to their own facts (as there is only one set of facts). If you had the time to read the 1,000+ posts I have published, you'd see that I rarely express any opinion (unless asked) and that what I mention is more often than not based on facts and figures. This is no exception.
Hope this clarifies the matter.
Mike
I was totally shocked to read your comparison between Southern Spain and Southern Italy as it makes absolutely no sense to me, especially from a real estate point of view. What you wrote is actually kinda correct and I quote: "I would say it is actually quite similar to Southern Spain in many ways. For example, Southern Spain tends to be more affordable than the north, especially if you look at rural areas or small villages. Just like in Southern Italy, where houses are sold for as little as one euro, similar initiatives exist in Spain to attract people to repopulate villages and revitalize these areas." the one part I'd disagree with is "many".
So why was I shocked then? Because your statements are extremely misleading (unintentionally I suppose). Indeed, BP is about real estate and:
1. I haven't seen any statistics to this effect and I don't think any has necessarily been compiled but I bet I wouldn't exaggerate if I state that 95% of the value of real estate in Southern Spain or at least the province of Andalucia is in the Costa del Sol. The Costa del Sol is one of the world's most successful tourism success in the world ever. It started in the 1960's or something and has gone from success to success, overcoming all crises. Nowadays, people from all over the world vacation, work temporarily, move (with or without their business) and retire in the Costa del Sol. Many billionaires and celebrities own property there, including lots of Americans.The infrastructure is top notch. And it goes well beyond that. Even the main city of Malaga, who was considered a backwater city just 10 years ago has become very popular and is now turning itself in a little Silicon Valley and banking center. The Costa del Sol has been pulling the economy of Andalucia, Southern Spain in general and the whole country for decades.
2. Nobody on here is likely interested in investing in a small village in Southern Spain as it would make no sense but there are loads of Americans investing in the Costa del Sol so it's important to focus on what matters to the community if we want to help and make sure we don't discourage them with involuntarily misleading statement.
In comparison, Southern Italy has none of that, expect for the little Amalfi Coast at a very small scale. And then, the proof is in the pudding as far as what interests us, real estate. While real estate prices have been steadily increasing in Southern Spain over the last decades, they've been steadily declining in Southern Italy.
I was even more shocked as I assumed that Montse would be your first name and you therefore would be Spanish (I found that out because somebody called Montse joined the owners' Facebook group of a community in which we own a condo in the Costa del Sol). But then, looking at your profile, I realized you live in the Netherlands now. If you have time, I'd suggest you travel through Southern Spain and then Southern Italy and then you tell us if it's similar. You might be very pleasantly surprised.
To conclude, it's great to have more new members like you from Europe contributing to the forum. Personally, I always try to avoid general statements that could be misleading. My whole point to responding to your post here is to help avoid that people who might have been considering investing in the Costa del Sol discard the opportunity because they think it's like Southern Italy.
Hi Mike,
First, I want to emphasize that my intention was never to provide misleading information. At no point did I specifically mention the Costa del Sol in my comparison between Southern Spain and Southern Italy. Andalucía is much more than just the Costa del Sol, and my intention was to speak about Southern Spain in general, including rural areas and small villages, which can also offer opportunities depending on the type of investment being sought.
When I spoke of similarities with Southern Italy, I did not mean they were categorically identical but rather that they share certain characteristics, such as affordability in rural areas and initiatives to revitalize villages. These initiatives exist in both Italy and Spain but are not meant to compete with developed areas like the Costa del Sol.
That said, it’s important to note that I know the Costa del Sol very well, as my parents are from the region. Additionally, I split my time living between Spain and the Netherlands, giving me a fairly broad perspective on both countries. For this reason, I find it surprising that you would question my knowledge of the region without knowing me. I believe making statements about me based on assumptions does not contribute to a constructive dialogue. No one holds absolute truth, and there’s always room to expand our perspective through the exchange of experiences.
I am fully aware of the Costa del Sol’s significance as an economic engine for the region and as one of the most globally relevant destinations. However, I believe limiting a discussion about Southern Spain exclusively to the Costa del Sol overlooks the diversity of opportunities the region offers beyond mass tourism and highly developed areas.
Regarding your comments about my name and the fact that I reside in the Netherlands, I fail to see how this could affect the validity of my observations. As someone commenting from their experience as a Spanish national and someone familiar with both markets, my goal is to share perspectives based on my personal and professional knowledge.
I understand that you have a different perspective, and I appreciate you sharing it. I believe that these types of exchanges are important to enrich the discussion and add value to the community. My intention is not to discourage anyone from investing in the Costa del Sol, especially considering that I never specifically referred to this region. My goal was to provide a broader perspective for those who might be considering other opportunities in Southern Europe.
Montse
Hi Montse,
There's no need to defend yourself when you're not attacked. If you reread my post, you'll see that I was clear that my purpose was to avoid that what you wrote would unintentionally mislead. Also, I never question your knowledge of the region. I was just surprised that a Spaniard would make the comparison you made.
It's a fact of life that some people hate to be contradicted and can't make the difference between a discussion over a specific matter and a personal attack (I'm taking in general here). Knowing that you're new in the forum and to avoid a potential reaction of the style "Who's this idiot who thinks he knows my country better than me?", I went to extra lengths to make sure that you wouldn't take my post as a personal attack by starting by mentioning that I agree with what you wrote and concluding by mentioning that the sole purpose of my post was to make sure that yours wasn't intentionally misleading.
So, over the form, my suggestion as an elder of the forum would be for you to not take everything personally and, if you still think you're being personally attacked (it can happen to everyone), read the post again and make sure you don't misinterpreted what the author meant before publicly complaining about him/her.
Most importantly, over the content, you're correct that the Costa del Sol isn't the whole of Southern Spain. However, you forgot/didn't mention the Costa del Sol, which, from an international real estate point of view (the topic here), is what matters. The fact of the matter is that the overall majority of international investors who invest in Southern Spain justifiably only do so in the Costa del Sol. Unfortunately, such an opportunity doesn't exist in Southern Italy, whereby the comparison between Southern Spain and Southern Italy, while valid when it comes to the situation of some small villages in the back country, doesn't make sense when it comes to international real estate investments. But there's no need for you or anyone to take my word for it. Just check the facts and figures.
Like you suggested, there are various opinions, which are all valuable and it's great like that. However, as the saying goes, while everyone is entitled to their own opinion, nobody is entitled to their own facts (as there is only one set of facts). If you had the time to read the 1,000+ posts I have published, you'd see that I rarely express any opinion (unless asked) and that what I mention is more often than not based on facts and figures. This is no exception.
Hope this clarifies the matter.
Mike
Hi Mike,
Thank you for your detailed response and for taking the time to share your perspective. I truly appreciate your effort to ensure that the information on this forum is accurate and helpful for everyone. It’s clear that you are a passionate and knowledgeable person on this topic, which always adds a great deal of value to these kinds of discussions.
Your comment made me smile, especially the part about "Who’s this idiot who thinks he knows my country better than me?". Haha, don’t worry, I’m definitely not one of those people. I firmly believe that everyone has the right to talk about Spain and share their opinions, even if they haven’t lived here. In fact, I find it enriching because there’s always something new to learn from different perspectives.
I also want to make sure that my previous comment wasn’t misunderstood. I’m not offended or feeling attacked at all. I simply wanted to clarify my position and avoid any potential misunderstandings. I know that in written communication, concepts can sometimes be interpreted differently than originally intended. I’m quite a relaxed person and rarely get upset, so everything’s good.
Regarding international investments (and I hope this settles the matter 😉), my intention was not to compare Southern Spain and Southern Italy as equals, especially in the context of the U.S. market. I completely understand that the Costa del Sol carries significant weight in global tourism and international investments. However, I wanted to highlight that, in Northern Europe, investment preferences can often differ. For instance, in the Netherlands, there’s considerable interest in the charming rural areas of Southern Spain. There are even TV programs that showcase how Dutch people buy, renovate, and revitalize properties in small Spanish villages. This shows that perspectives vary depending on the target audience.
By the way, your comment about me being an "exception" caught my attention (thank you for that, I’m flattered!). I truly value that someone as knowledgeable as you would take the time to engage in a discussion with me.
I’ve read some of your posts (though not all 1,000—I wish I had that much time! 😊), and I recognize that you bring a lot of value to the forum. Thank you for your contributions and for this interesting exchange.
Thanks again for your insights, and I look forward to continuing to exchange ideas with you in the future.
MontseHey @Montse C.!
I do have some resources of investing from a distance. Here are all my notes on investing in properties out-of-state, which is also the same as international to the United States.
My notes are from David Greene's book, Long-Distance Real Estate Investing: How to Buy, Rehab, and Manage Out-of-State Rentals.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1blQFIKSls6JDHdl7srVMhXd8...
For personal experience on flipping remotely, I wouldn't be the best person to speak on this. I'll start asking around here in the forums on how this could be done, but I imagine it would require a person managing the project for the life of the asset, until sold. =)
Hi Chris,
Thank you so much for sharing your resources and notes! I really appreciate it. David Greene's book is on my list, so having access to your notes is incredibly helpful; I’ll definitely take a look at them soon.
Regarding the topic of flipping remotely, I completely agree with you—having someone local to manage the project seems like a key part of the process. I think the most challenging aspect would be assembling a reliable team and ensuring everything runs smoothly from a distance. While my partner could visit the property occasionally, most of the work would need to be supervised remotely, which adds an interesting logistical challenge.
If you come across more ideas or recommendations from others on the forum about structuring these types of projects, I’d love to hear them. I’m sure it would be very insightful.
Thanks again for your input and for pointing me in the right direction.
Montse