WTF is wrong with investors these days?

WTF is wrong with investors these days?

Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes

So I get investors reaching out to me everyday and it goes like this:

"Hi, I know you offer turnkey properties and property management and am interested in the Toledo market, I don't want to buy turnkey but was hoping you could help me find a deal.

Also, do you have any contractor and lender referrals?

I'd also love to work with your property management company"

Diplomacy left me a long time ago so how would you guys reply?

Seems like to me that everyone wants something for nothing nowadays and nobody is willing to put in the work or to pay the margin for someone else that is willing to do the work...

Folks want to "own a monkey", play with the monkey, but not "carry the monkey" or clean it's S#@% when it does one hehe

I guess next time I go to McDonalds, I'll ask them for organic burger buns or where I can find them, I'll bring my own meat paddy and potatoes, get them to make a Big Mac meal for me and maybe I throw some change their way haha

How about those analogies above... lol

Have a great weekend guys and much success with your investing 🙏

44Reply
1,225 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
2y

Engelo Good Morning !

I would like to take a stab at this.

I suspect a lot of these folks reaching out to you read BP forums.

And such they like the thought of infinite returns and are OK with max leverage etc.

So keep in mind BP folks are reading the BRRR books and building their Core 4 which has been coined by the folks who man the podcast and wrote a book on remote BRRR ( one of the absolute Riskiest endeavors one can take in real estate by the way).

So to that extent they are reaching out to you to build the Core 4 you just happen to have all 4 of the Core under one roof.

This IMHO is why your getting calls like this. Or e mail requests like this.

Your thoughts ?

See this reply in the discussion

261 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    Just a side note here, but I think it ties in......I have some people I am mentoring or consulting with. All great folks...but  a common denominator is the lack of ability and/or interest in simply writing things down. 

    Always been one of my major points...Write it down. On a notepad. With a pen or pencil. Huge advantages to doing this....And yes before some of ya jump on me, I am older :-) but it is still something so important IMHO.

    I hear and read on here: where is the App for that? Ain't no App for that....

    100% mate,

    Look at my office.

    Looks insane but keeps me sane lol

    Like Russell Crow in the movie A Beautiful Mind with the sticky notes.

    Write it down and keep it front of sight = front of mind 


    Good on ya mate! Yeah, I have actually made it a critical part of my process...

    #1 - Set clear goals, #2 - Write everything down on paper


     Save a tree bro. Use a spreadsheet.



    Not sophisticated enough mate

    Just spent 2hrs trying to figure out how to "sum" in Google Sheets

    Gave me the S#$@ hehe

    well at least you can open them in the first place  I cannot.. 
  • Real Estate Consultant · Evergreen, CO · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 737 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:

    So I get investors reaching out to me everyday and it goes like this:

    "Hi, I know you offer turnkey properties and property management and am interested in the Toledo market, I don't want to buy turnkey but was hoping you could help me find a deal.

    Also, do you have any contractor and lender referrals?

    I'd also love to work with your property management company"

    Diplomacy left me a long time ago so how would you guys reply?

    Seems like to me that everyone wants something for nothing nowadays and nobody is willing to put in the work or to pay the margin for someone else that is willing to do the work...

    Folks want to "own a monkey", play with the monkey, but not "carry the monkey" or clean it's S#@% when it does one hehe

    I guess next time I go to McDonalds, I'll ask them for organic burger buns or where I can find them, I'll bring my own meat paddy and potatoes, get them to make a Big Mac meal for me and maybe I throw some change their way haha

    How about those analogies above... lol

    Have a great weekend guys and much success with your investing 🙏


     I am not going to be diplomatic or nice when people are getting cheated or conned out of not just their money but the opportunity to build wealth for their family.  

    GENTLY WITH A CHAINSAW 

  • Oceanside, CA · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 10 votes
    2y

    Haha, your analogies hit the nail on the head! It's like everyone wants the five-star meal without paying the price or even tipping the chef. It's a wild world where the expectation is to get premium service while offering peanuts in return. 

    Maybe it's time to remind these folks that quality, expertise, and convenience come at a cost. If they're looking to play in the real estate game without investing in the process, they might as well stick to Monopoly. Keep standing your ground and valuing your work; there are still people out there who recognize and respect the grind. Cheers to finding them and to your continued success!

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Charles M.:

    Maybe it's time to remind these folks that quality, expertise, and convenience come at a cost. If they're looking to play in the real estate game without investing in the process, they might as well stick to Monopoly.

    That is well said...!


  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    Just a side note here, but I think it ties in......I have some people I am mentoring or consulting with. All great folks...but  a common denominator is the lack of ability and/or interest in simply writing things down. 

    Always been one of my major points...Write it down. On a notepad. With a pen or pencil. Huge advantages to doing this....And yes before some of ya jump on me, I am older :-) but it is still something so important IMHO.

    I hear and read on here: where is the App for that? Ain't no App for that....

    100% mate,

    Look at my office.

    Looks insane but keeps me sane lol

    Like Russell Crow in the movie A Beautiful Mind with the sticky notes.

    Write it down and keep it front of sight = front of mind 


    Good on ya mate! Yeah, I have actually made it a critical part of my process...

    #1 - Set clear goals, #2 - Write everything down on paper


     Save a tree bro. Use a spreadsheet.



    Not sophisticated enough mate

    Just spent 2hrs trying to figure out how to "sum" in Google Sheets

    Gave me the S#$@ hehe

    well at least you can open them in the first place  I cannot.. 

     the cool picture is pretty cool, looks like someone still living in the 70s LOL

  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    OP
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Charles M.:

    Haha, your analogies hit the nail on the head! It's like everyone wants the five-star meal without paying the price or even tipping the chef. It's a wild world where the expectation is to get premium service while offering peanuts in return. 

    Maybe it's time to remind these folks that quality, expertise, and convenience come at a cost. If they're looking to play in the real estate game without investing in the process, they might as well stick to Monopoly. Keep standing your ground and valuing your work; there are still people out there who recognize and respect the grind. Cheers to finding them and to your continued success!



    Thanks mate,

    Check out this thread I just started - https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/48/topics/1173961-wtf-i...

    Unfortunately, the one's that understand and respect the grind are a "dime a dozen".

    But I always keep the dream alive and those are happy days when such an individual comes across my horizon 🙏

    Much success 
  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    OP
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    Wow, that sounds frustrating! It's like everyone wants the benefits without putting in the effort. 

    I'd probably respond with something like, "Haha, I feel you! It's crazy how people want the world without lifting a finger. Maybe next time they ask, tell them you're out of 'monkey' favors! Hope your weekend's better than dealing with those requests!"


    haha, here you go mate - https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/48/topics/1173961-wtf-i...

    Just another day in the office...

  • Real Estate Consultant · Evergreen, CO · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 737 votes
    2y

    I need to take a pic of my "command center" for everyone. LOL 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    2y

    Here's mine...

  • Real Estate Consultant · Evergreen, CO · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 737 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Nate Marshall:

    I need to take a pic of my "command center" for everyone. LOL 


     My family owned this property between Summit County and Kremmling Colorado. Used to go there with my grandparents like a weekend a month from age 3 on, The last time I was there was 2001 right before 9/11 and they died in 2003. 

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Nate Marshall:
    Quote from @Nate Marshall:

    I need to take a pic of my "command center" for everyone. LOL 


     My family owned this property between Summit County and Kremmling Colorado. Used to go there with my grandparents like a weekend a month from age 3 on, The last time I was there was 2001 right before 9/11 and they died in 2003. 


     everlasting beauty

  • Real Estate Consultant · Evergreen, CO · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 737 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @Nate Marshall:
    Quote from @Nate Marshall:

    I need to take a pic of my "command center" for everyone. LOL 


     My family owned this property between Summit County and Kremmling Colorado. Used to go there with my grandparents like a weekend a month from age 3 on, The last time I was there was 2001 right before 9/11 and they died in 2003. 


     everlasting beauty


     They had 5 acres but the entire area was like 1,000. We rode snowmobiles in the winter for hours. Mostly part timers and vacation homes at the time. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Nate Marshall:
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @Nate Marshall:
    Quote from @Nate Marshall:

    I need to take a pic of my "command center" for everyone. LOL 


     My family owned this property between Summit County and Kremmling Colorado. Used to go there with my grandparents like a weekend a month from age 3 on, The last time I was there was 2001 right before 9/11 and they died in 2003. 


     everlasting beauty


     They had 5 acres but the entire area was like 1,000. We rode snowmobiles in the winter for hours. Mostly part timers and vacation homes at the time. 


    when I drove from SF Bay Area in 1974 to go to school at Colorado Mtn. Collage in Leadville we drove I think from Kremmling down to Rifle and the road was all gravel at the time.
  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    OP
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Nate Marshall:
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @Nate Marshall:
    Quote from @Nate Marshall:

    I need to take a pic of my "command center" for everyone. LOL 


     My family owned this property between Summit County and Kremmling Colorado. Used to go there with my grandparents like a weekend a month from age 3 on, The last time I was there was 2001 right before 9/11 and they died in 2003. 


     everlasting beauty


     They had 5 acres but the entire area was like 1,000. We rode snowmobiles in the winter for hours. Mostly part timers and vacation homes at the time. 


    when I drove from SF Bay Area in 1974 to go to school at Colorado Mtn. Collage in Leadville we drove I think from Kremmling down to Rifle and the road was all gravel at the time.

    You guys are old hehe
  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Nate Marshall:
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @Nate Marshall:
    Quote from @Nate Marshall:

    I need to take a pic of my "command center" for everyone. LOL 


     My family owned this property between Summit County and Kremmling Colorado. Used to go there with my grandparents like a weekend a month from age 3 on, The last time I was there was 2001 right before 9/11 and they died in 2003. 


     everlasting beauty


     They had 5 acres but the entire area was like 1,000. We rode snowmobiles in the winter for hours. Mostly part timers and vacation homes at the time. 


    when I drove from SF Bay Area in 1974 to go to school at Colorado Mtn. Collage in Leadville we drove I think from Kremmling down to Rifle and the road was all gravel at the time.

     i can imagine how fun it is to drive some 70's car from Cupertino to Colorado with only paper map no gps no iphone no nothing LOL

    last time i did the same was in 2002, from piscataway to fremont lol

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Nate Marshall:
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @Nate Marshall:
    Quote from @Nate Marshall:

    I need to take a pic of my "command center" for everyone. LOL 


     My family owned this property between Summit County and Kremmling Colorado. Used to go there with my grandparents like a weekend a month from age 3 on, The last time I was there was 2001 right before 9/11 and they died in 2003. 


     everlasting beauty


     They had 5 acres but the entire area was like 1,000. We rode snowmobiles in the winter for hours. Mostly part timers and vacation homes at the time. 


    when I drove from SF Bay Area in 1974 to go to school at Colorado Mtn. Collage in Leadville we drove I think from Kremmling down to Rifle and the road was all gravel at the time.

     i can imagine how fun it is to drive some 70's car from Cupertino to Colorado with only paper map no gps no iphone no nothing LOL

    last time i did the same was in 2002, from piscataway to fremont lol

    Rand McNalley   and for in town  Thomas Guide   And it was a Chevy Blazer you know the ones you could remove the top in back off of.  it was great on the gravel roads and snow etc. 

  • Real Estate Consultant · Evergreen, CO · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 737 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Nate Marshall:
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @Nate Marshall:
    Quote from @Nate Marshall:

    I need to take a pic of my "command center" for everyone. LOL 


     My family owned this property between Summit County and Kremmling Colorado. Used to go there with my grandparents like a weekend a month from age 3 on, The last time I was there was 2001 right before 9/11 and they died in 2003. 


     everlasting beauty


     They had 5 acres but the entire area was like 1,000. We rode snowmobiles in the winter for hours. Mostly part timers and vacation homes at the time. 


    when I drove from SF Bay Area in 1974 to go to school at Colorado Mtn. Collage in Leadville we drove I think from Kremmling down to Rifle and the road was all gravel at the time.

     i can imagine how fun it is to drive some 70's car from Cupertino to Colorado with only paper map no gps no iphone no nothing LOL

    last time i did the same was in 2002, from piscataway to fremont lol

    Rand McNalley   and for in town  Thomas Guide   And it was a Chevy Blazer you know the ones you could remove the top in back off of.  it was great on the gravel roads and snow etc. 

     Amman, Jordan to Baghdad, Iraq in April 2003. As a contractor for Blackwater. Then again in 2009 with GRS. Quite different. If one breaks down there in 09  they might lose their head. 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:
    Nah, not old, just interesting as hell. You youngsters know it and are just jealous :-)


  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    OP
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:
    Nah, not old, just interesting as hell. You youngsters know it and are just jealous :-)



    haha. True that mate. Todays youth is a joke. I’m worried about the future… hopefully I won’t live past 55 so I don’t see what happens to the world 🌎 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · CA · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Nate Marshall:
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @Nate Marshall:
    Quote from @Nate Marshall:

    I need to take a pic of my "command center" for everyone. LOL 


     My family owned this property between Summit County and Kremmling Colorado. Used to go there with my grandparents like a weekend a month from age 3 on, The last time I was there was 2001 right before 9/11 and they died in 2003. 


     everlasting beauty


     They had 5 acres but the entire area was like 1,000. We rode snowmobiles in the winter for hours. Mostly part timers and vacation homes at the time. 


    when I drove from SF Bay Area in 1974 to go to school at Colorado Mtn. Collage in Leadville we drove I think from Kremmling down to Rifle and the road was all gravel at the time.

     i can imagine how fun it is to drive some 70's car from Cupertino to Colorado with only paper map no gps no iphone no nothing LOL

    last time i did the same was in 2002, from piscataway to fremont lol

    Rand McNalley   and for in town  Thomas Guide   And it was a Chevy Blazer you know the ones you could remove the top in back off of.  it was great on the gravel roads and snow etc. 


     Irony, lol, Rand McNally's printing operation was in Fremont 

  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    OP
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    Happy Friday mates,

    Here is one for S#@% and giggles hehe

    Two different emails one after the other.

    Not sure who told him that I have a big one but I guess the word spread somehow lol

    Sorry for the locker room talk and hopefully you get a laugh.

    Life is short so we gotta laugh whenever we can 🙏

  • Scott JohnsonBusiness Member
    Specialist · Greenville, NC · Member since 2019 · 673 posts · 408 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:

    So I get investors reaching out to me everyday and it goes like this:

    "Hi, I know you offer turnkey properties and property management and am interested in the Toledo market, I don't want to buy turnkey but was hoping you could help me find a deal.

    Also, do you have any contractor and lender referrals?

    I'd also love to work with your property management company"

    Diplomacy left me a long time ago so how would you guys reply?

    Seems like to me that everyone wants something for nothing nowadays and nobody is willing to put in the work or to pay the margin for someone else that is willing to do the work...

    Folks want to "own a monkey", play with the monkey, but not "carry the monkey" or clean it's S#@% when it does one hehe

    I guess next time I go to McDonalds, I'll ask them for organic burger buns or where I can find them, I'll bring my own meat paddy and potatoes, get them to make a Big Mac meal for me and maybe I throw some change their way haha

    How about those analogies above... lol

    Have a great weekend guys and much success with your investing 🙏


    Calling out to all property managers in the Toledo market. There's obviously some cries for education that aren't being filled in that area. Great marketing point to capitalize on and a way to create solid, long lasting relationships with new investors.

  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    OP
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Scott Johnson:
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:

    So I get investors reaching out to me everyday and it goes like this:

    "Hi, I know you offer turnkey properties and property management and am interested in the Toledo market, I don't want to buy turnkey but was hoping you could help me find a deal.

    Also, do you have any contractor and lender referrals?

    I'd also love to work with your property management company"

    Diplomacy left me a long time ago so how would you guys reply?

    Seems like to me that everyone wants something for nothing nowadays and nobody is willing to put in the work or to pay the margin for someone else that is willing to do the work...

    Folks want to "own a monkey", play with the monkey, but not "carry the monkey" or clean it's S#@% when it does one hehe

    I guess next time I go to McDonalds, I'll ask them for organic burger buns or where I can find them, I'll bring my own meat paddy and potatoes, get them to make a Big Mac meal for me and maybe I throw some change their way haha

    How about those analogies above... lol

    Have a great weekend guys and much success with your investing 🙏


    Calling out to all property managers in the Toledo market. There's obviously some cries for education that aren't being filled in that area. Great marketing point to capitalize on and a way to create solid, long lasting relationships with new investors.



    I've been calling out to them also and trying to buy their book of business lol 

    They don't like replying much 🤷‍♂️
  • Scott JohnsonBusiness Member
    Specialist · Greenville, NC · Member since 2019 · 673 posts · 408 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:
    Quote from @Scott Johnson:
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:

    So I get investors reaching out to me everyday and it goes like this:

    "Hi, I know you offer turnkey properties and property management and am interested in the Toledo market, I don't want to buy turnkey but was hoping you could help me find a deal.

    Also, do you have any contractor and lender referrals?

    I'd also love to work with your property management company"

    Diplomacy left me a long time ago so how would you guys reply?

    Seems like to me that everyone wants something for nothing nowadays and nobody is willing to put in the work or to pay the margin for someone else that is willing to do the work...

    Folks want to "own a monkey", play with the monkey, but not "carry the monkey" or clean it's S#@% when it does one hehe

    I guess next time I go to McDonalds, I'll ask them for organic burger buns or where I can find them, I'll bring my own meat paddy and potatoes, get them to make a Big Mac meal for me and maybe I throw some change their way haha

    How about those analogies above... lol

    Have a great weekend guys and much success with your investing 🙏


    Calling out to all property managers in the Toledo market. There's obviously some cries for education that aren't being filled in that area. Great marketing point to capitalize on and a way to create solid, long lasting relationships with new investors.



    I've been calling out to them also and trying to buy their book of business lol 

    They don't like replying much 🤷‍♂️

     At least you're getting in a shot 🤷🏻 Have you ever consider hiring someone to feel these calls and work directly with those new investors? You never know what the "I don't want to turn key" can turn into after you provide value. 

  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    OP
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Scott Johnson:
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:
    Quote from @Scott Johnson:
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:

    So I get investors reaching out to me everyday and it goes like this:

    "Hi, I know you offer turnkey properties and property management and am interested in the Toledo market, I don't want to buy turnkey but was hoping you could help me find a deal.

    Also, do you have any contractor and lender referrals?

    I'd also love to work with your property management company"

    Diplomacy left me a long time ago so how would you guys reply?

    Seems like to me that everyone wants something for nothing nowadays and nobody is willing to put in the work or to pay the margin for someone else that is willing to do the work...

    Folks want to "own a monkey", play with the monkey, but not "carry the monkey" or clean it's S#@% when it does one hehe

    I guess next time I go to McDonalds, I'll ask them for organic burger buns or where I can find them, I'll bring my own meat paddy and potatoes, get them to make a Big Mac meal for me and maybe I throw some change their way haha

    How about those analogies above... lol

    Have a great weekend guys and much success with your investing 🙏


    Calling out to all property managers in the Toledo market. There's obviously some cries for education that aren't being filled in that area. Great marketing point to capitalize on and a way to create solid, long lasting relationships with new investors.



    I've been calling out to them also and trying to buy their book of business lol 

    They don't like replying much 🤷‍♂️

     At least you're getting in a shot 🤷🏻 Have you ever consider hiring someone to feel these calls and work directly with those new investors? You never know what the "I don't want to turn key" can turn into after you provide value. 



    Good question mate.

    Been in the game long enough that I can sell till the "cow's come home" lol

    Or find a way to convert, monetize, optimize, etc...

    It's against my ethics so I choose not to.

    And I've done my fair share of charity and still do to this day.

    Feeding the poor per se

    But I refuse to "Feed" the lazy and ignorant (And wealthy) with free information that took blood, sweat and tears and years to get.

    I'll let the guru's monetize on such folks with their books, guides and masterminds lol
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.