WTF is wrong with this investor?

WTF is wrong with this investor?

Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes

G'Day everyone,

Nobody talks much about the S#@% that real estate service providers put with.

All we mostly see is the bad reviews from unsatisfied investors talking smack on all of us.

So, I’m glad the thread I started a few weeks ago got traction and that many of you agreed.

You can read more here - https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/48/topics/1170821-wtf-i...

I'm also happy to share some further light on the disrespect, incompetence and ignorance that we sometimes have to deal with.

Here is a recent situation and unfortunately I’ve experienced hundreds like it over the the years.

I guess common courtesy and common sense aren't so common nowadays.

@Jay Hinrichs You're gonna love this one... 

Here it goes:

1) Investor fills out our app.

2) Investor quickly submits POF.

3) Investor answers pre-qualification questions.

4) Call scheduled with me and we talk for a good 60min and have a fantastic call (Investor is made aware of our entire business model and how we operate. I share that some deals aren't yet fully turnkey as we are currently rehabbing them just so we are on the same page. Investors reserve a property in advance and wait for rehab completion. All is clear, investor understands and is satisfied 👍)

5) Investor is sent our FAQ link for the second time along with a link to hundreds of YouTube video's on our channel (We have been in business for 10+ years and have heard every question asked so there is almost no question that we haven't already answered via the auto email sequence, the content on our website, pre-qualification emails, during the investor on-boarding and during the intro call with Engelo).

6) Investor promptly signs refundable deposit agreement (All good so far, right?).

6) I start sending our exclusive deals in advance of receiving the deposit due to how good we both felt on the call (My mistake).

7) Investor "openly and honestly" questions our business model and wants to know how we make money. I "openly and honestly" in much detail share with chapter long emails (Which I normally never do) what I learnt from the great @Chris Clothier. And that is that we make as much money on every deal as we possible can but we still keep the price at fair market value. "Price is what you pay and value is what you get" - Warren Buffett. My thought process was that I was dealing with a sophisticated individual that understands that a company needs to be profitable in order to be able to offer a valuable service. The investor even nonchalantly said that I don't have to reveal our numbers. (My mistake #2).

8) Investor makes BS excuse that the properties need too much rehab (By the way, the rehab that the investor doesn't do as that is our job/risk and the investor is more than welcome to do a building inspection once the rehab is completed. ZERO risk to investor and all was already covered during our 60min call).

9) Investor never sends the deposit.

10) Investor doesn't reply to follow up emails, txt's or phone calls.

11) Investor rudely tells my assistant to remove him from the list and hangs up on her.

There you have it folks.

Another day in the office and again just one instance out of hundreds that I could write 13 books on what we have experienced since 2014.

I guess the lesson is that we all need to be "Kings that cry poor".

It seems like nobody is happy, if you're happy and nobody wants you to do well and make money.

Everyone seems to want the best deal possible for the lowest price possible even if that comes at the detriment to someone else.

I'm exaggerating but from a philosophical standpoint, human nature is to feel "more accomplished" and "more satisfied" when knowing someone else pulled out the shorter straw.

It took me many years of self reflection to master this internal concept of "understanding, empathy and compassion" toward others...

Would love your thoughts on the above?

Happy Investing 🏠

Happy Weekend ☀️

God Bless America 🇺🇸

5Reply
84 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
2y
Quote from @Engelo Rumora:

G'Day everyone,

Nobody talks much about the S#@% that real estate service providers put with.

All we mostly see is the bad reviews from unsatisfied investors talking smack on all of us.

So, I’m glad the thread I started a few weeks ago got traction and that many of you agreed.

You can read more here - https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/48/topics/1170821-wtf-i...

I'm also happy to share some further light on the disrespect, incompetence and ignorance that we sometimes have to deal with.

Here is a recent situation and unfortunately I’ve experienced hundreds like it over the the years.

I guess common courtesy and common sense aren't so common nowadays.

@Jay Hinrichs You're gonna love this one... 

Here it goes:

1) Investor fills out our app.

2) Investor quickly submits POF.

3) Investor answers pre-qualification questions.

4) Call scheduled with me and we talk for a good 60min and have a fantastic call (Investor is made aware of our entire business model and how we operate. I share that some deals aren't yet fully turnkey as we are currently rehabbing them just so we are on the same page. Investors reserve a property in advance and wait for rehab completion. All is clear, investor understands and is satisfied 👍)

5) Investor is sent our FAQ link for the second time along with a link to hundreds of YouTube video's on our channel (We have been in business for 10+ years and have heard every question asked so there is almost no question that we haven't already answered via the auto email sequence, the content on our website, pre-qualification emails, during the investor on-boarding and during the intro call with Engelo).

6) Investor promptly signs refundable deposit agreement (All good so far, right?).

6) I start sending our exclusive deals in advance of receiving the deposit due to how good we both felt on the call (My mistake).

7) Investor "openly and honestly" questions our business model and wants to know how we make money. I "openly and honestly" in much detail share with chapter long emails (Which I normally never do) what I learnt from the great @Chris Clothier. And that is that we make as much money on every deal as we possible can but we still keep the price at fair market value. "Price is what you pay and value is what you get" - Warren Buffett. My thought process was that I was dealing with a sophisticated individual that understands that a company needs to be profitable in order to be able to offer a valuable service. The investor even nonchalantly said that I don't have to reveal our numbers. (My mistake #2).

8) Investor makes BS excuse that the properties need too much rehab (By the way, the rehab that the investor doesn't do as that is our job/risk and the investor is more than welcome to do a building inspection once the rehab is completed. ZERO risk to investor and all was already covered during our 60min call).

9) Investor never sends the deposit.

10) Investor doesn't reply to follow up emails, txt's or phone calls.

11) Investor rudely tells my assistant to remove him from the list and hangs up on her.

There you have it folks.

Another day in the office and again just one instance out of hundreds that I could write 13 books on what we have experienced since 2014.

I guess the lesson is that we all need to be "Kings that cry poor".

It seems like nobody is happy, if you're happy and nobody wants you to do well and make money.

Everyone seems to want the best deal possible for the lowest price possible even if that comes at the detriment to someone else.

I'm exaggerating but from a philosophical standpoint, human nature is to feel "more accomplished" and "more satisfied" when knowing someone else pulled out the shorter straw.

It took me many years of self reflection to master this internal concept of "understanding, empathy and compassion" toward others...

Would love your thoughts on the above?

Happy Investing 🏠

Happy Weekend ☀️

God Bless America 🇺🇸


 I was with you right up till the refundable deposit.......What's the point of a deposit if it's refundable? You need to make that bad boy NON refundable.

See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris ClothierBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · memphis, TN · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    @Engelo Rumora,

    I'll keep my thoughts brief, (if possible) lol!  

    You've gotten it out of your system, don't sweat it.  You can never be everything to everybody, but you offer a service that someone, somewhere wants. My philosophy is that I am trying to attract my ideal client.  Along the way, we will say NO to 90% of the people who initially reach out for more information.  Sometimes, the no comes from them not being qualified.  Sometimes, it's from them wanting a city we don't operate it.  Sometimes, it's from them wanting a service we don't provide.

    However, a majority are simply looking for something "more".  More return, more service, more of something that we can't give.  And there is nothing wrong with that.  They shouldn't be rude about it, but they get to decide what works for them regardless of how they come to that conclusion.

    In every one of these cases, our job is to help every investor get pointed in the right direction.  It is obvious that we are not the right fit and to be very direct, it is in the best interest of everyone that they not buy one of our properties.  Trying to be the "more" that some investors are looking for can be way more painful than simply moving to the next investor and writing this one off by helping them go a different direction.

    Of course, I'm preaching to the choir.  You already know of this because you practice it, so I wouldn't let this one get under your skin.  We both know there is another one right around the corner!  Just focus on your ideal clients.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    2y

    My Dad taught me the most important word in Real Estate  NEXT !.. He also taught me we are independent contractors we are not employees and we do not have to put up with rude behavior etc.

    Engelo you would not know it but I was a lot like you in my younger years when it came to rude and disrespectful clients. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:

    G'Day everyone,

    Nobody talks much about the S#@% that real estate service providers put with.

    All we mostly see is the bad reviews from unsatisfied investors talking smack on all of us.

    So, I’m glad the thread I started a few weeks ago got traction and that many of you agreed.

    You can read more here - https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/48/topics/1170821-wtf-i...

    I'm also happy to share some further light on the disrespect, incompetence and ignorance that we sometimes have to deal with.

    Here is a recent situation and unfortunately I’ve experienced hundreds like it over the the years.

    I guess common courtesy and common sense aren't so common nowadays.

    @Jay Hinrichs You're gonna love this one... 

    Here it goes:

    1) Investor fills out our app.

    2) Investor quickly submits POF.

    3) Investor answers pre-qualification questions.

    4) Call scheduled with me and we talk for a good 60min and have a fantastic call (Investor is made aware of our entire business model and how we operate. I share that some deals aren't yet fully turnkey as we are currently rehabbing them just so we are on the same page. Investors reserve a property in advance and wait for rehab completion. All is clear, investor understands and is satisfied 👍)

    5) Investor is sent our FAQ link for the second time along with a link to hundreds of YouTube video's on our channel (We have been in business for 10+ years and have heard every question asked so there is almost no question that we haven't already answered via the auto email sequence, the content on our website, pre-qualification emails, during the investor on-boarding and during the intro call with Engelo).

    6) Investor promptly signs refundable deposit agreement (All good so far, right?).

    6) I start sending our exclusive deals in advance of receiving the deposit due to how good we both felt on the call (My mistake).

    7) Investor "openly and honestly" questions our business model and wants to know how we make money. I "openly and honestly" in much detail share with chapter long emails (Which I normally never do) what I learnt from the great @Chris Clothier. And that is that we make as much money on every deal as we possible can but we still keep the price at fair market value. "Price is what you pay and value is what you get" - Warren Buffett. My thought process was that I was dealing with a sophisticated individual that understands that a company needs to be profitable in order to be able to offer a valuable service. The investor even nonchalantly said that I don't have to reveal our numbers. (My mistake #2).

    8) Investor makes BS excuse that the properties need too much rehab (By the way, the rehab that the investor doesn't do as that is our job/risk and the investor is more than welcome to do a building inspection once the rehab is completed. ZERO risk to investor and all was already covered during our 60min call).

    9) Investor never sends the deposit.

    10) Investor doesn't reply to follow up emails, txt's or phone calls.

    11) Investor rudely tells my assistant to remove him from the list and hangs up on her.

    There you have it folks.

    Another day in the office and again just one instance out of hundreds that I could write 13 books on what we have experienced since 2014.

    I guess the lesson is that we all need to be "Kings that cry poor".

    It seems like nobody is happy, if you're happy and nobody wants you to do well and make money.

    Everyone seems to want the best deal possible for the lowest price possible even if that comes at the detriment to someone else.

    I'm exaggerating but from a philosophical standpoint, human nature is to feel "more accomplished" and "more satisfied" when knowing someone else pulled out the shorter straw.

    It took me many years of self reflection to master this internal concept of "understanding, empathy and compassion" toward others...

    Would love your thoughts on the above?

    Happy Investing 🏠

    Happy Weekend ☀️

    God Bless America 🇺🇸


     I was with you right up till the refundable deposit.......What's the point of a deposit if it's refundable? You need to make that bad boy NON refundable.

  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    OP
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Chris Clothier:

    @Engelo Rumora,

    I'll keep my thoughts brief, (if possible) lol!  

    You've gotten it out of your system, don't sweat it.  You can never be everything to everybody, but you offer a service that someone, somewhere wants. My philosophy is that I am trying to attract my ideal client.  Along the way, we will say NO to 90% of the people who initially reach out for more information.  Sometimes, the no comes from them not being qualified.  Sometimes, it's from them wanting a city we don't operate it.  Sometimes, it's from them wanting a service we don't provide.

    However, a majority are simply looking for something "more".  More return, more service, more of something that we can't give.  And there is nothing wrong with that.  They shouldn't be rude about it, but they get to decide what works for them regardless of how they come to that conclusion.

    In every one of these cases, our job is to help every investor get pointed in the right direction.  It is obvious that we are not the right fit and to be very direct, it is in the best interest of everyone that they not buy one of our properties.  Trying to be the "more" that some investors are looking for can be way more painful than simply moving to the next investor and writing this one off by helping them go a different direction.

    Of course, I'm preaching to the choir.  You already know of this because you practice it, so I wouldn't let this one get under your skin.  We both know there is another one right around the corner!  Just focus on your ideal clients.

    Cheers to you mate and thanks for taking the time to reply.

    Agreed.

    You are a conglomerate company and maybe you have more protection as the quarterback (Sales staff, assistants, etc...)

    Not saying that you aren't in the front lines and I know of the hits you have taken and still do to this day.

    Even after all these years, these "hit's" don't hurt me any less mate.

    Much respect for you and your achievements 🙏 

    Diplomacy left me a long time ago so I do my best to keep shut otherwise all hell would break loose and I become like this guy @James Wise haha

    Love you James 😘

    Keep being great Chris

  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    OP
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:

    G'Day everyone,

    Nobody talks much about the S#@% that real estate service providers put with.

    All we mostly see is the bad reviews from unsatisfied investors talking smack on all of us.

    So, I’m glad the thread I started a few weeks ago got traction and that many of you agreed.

    You can read more here - https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/48/topics/1170821-wtf-i...

    I'm also happy to share some further light on the disrespect, incompetence and ignorance that we sometimes have to deal with.

    Here is a recent situation and unfortunately I’ve experienced hundreds like it over the the years.

    I guess common courtesy and common sense aren't so common nowadays.

    @Jay Hinrichs You're gonna love this one... 

    Here it goes:

    1) Investor fills out our app.

    2) Investor quickly submits POF.

    3) Investor answers pre-qualification questions.

    4) Call scheduled with me and we talk for a good 60min and have a fantastic call (Investor is made aware of our entire business model and how we operate. I share that some deals aren't yet fully turnkey as we are currently rehabbing them just so we are on the same page. Investors reserve a property in advance and wait for rehab completion. All is clear, investor understands and is satisfied 👍)

    5) Investor is sent our FAQ link for the second time along with a link to hundreds of YouTube video's on our channel (We have been in business for 10+ years and have heard every question asked so there is almost no question that we haven't already answered via the auto email sequence, the content on our website, pre-qualification emails, during the investor on-boarding and during the intro call with Engelo).

    6) Investor promptly signs refundable deposit agreement (All good so far, right?).

    6) I start sending our exclusive deals in advance of receiving the deposit due to how good we both felt on the call (My mistake).

    7) Investor "openly and honestly" questions our business model and wants to know how we make money. I "openly and honestly" in much detail share with chapter long emails (Which I normally never do) what I learnt from the great @Chris Clothier. And that is that we make as much money on every deal as we possible can but we still keep the price at fair market value. "Price is what you pay and value is what you get" - Warren Buffett. My thought process was that I was dealing with a sophisticated individual that understands that a company needs to be profitable in order to be able to offer a valuable service. The investor even nonchalantly said that I don't have to reveal our numbers. (My mistake #2).

    8) Investor makes BS excuse that the properties need too much rehab (By the way, the rehab that the investor doesn't do as that is our job/risk and the investor is more than welcome to do a building inspection once the rehab is completed. ZERO risk to investor and all was already covered during our 60min call).

    9) Investor never sends the deposit.

    10) Investor doesn't reply to follow up emails, txt's or phone calls.

    11) Investor rudely tells my assistant to remove him from the list and hangs up on her.

    There you have it folks.

    Another day in the office and again just one instance out of hundreds that I could write 13 books on what we have experienced since 2014.

    I guess the lesson is that we all need to be "Kings that cry poor".

    It seems like nobody is happy, if you're happy and nobody wants you to do well and make money.

    Everyone seems to want the best deal possible for the lowest price possible even if that comes at the detriment to someone else.

    I'm exaggerating but from a philosophical standpoint, human nature is to feel "more accomplished" and "more satisfied" when knowing someone else pulled out the shorter straw.

    It took me many years of self reflection to master this internal concept of "understanding, empathy and compassion" toward others...

    Would love your thoughts on the above?

    Happy Investing 🏠

    Happy Weekend ☀️

    God Bless America 🇺🇸


     I was with you right up till the refundable deposit.......What's the point of a deposit if it's refundable? You need to make that bad boy NON refundable.

    Legals mate,

    Goes into company operating account and not title company.

    So in a way it isn't a "Deposit".

    Plus, would never hold onto it and would always refund as we aren't in the biz of "stealing" deposits per se.

    It's just a sign of good faith that an investor is willing to put their money where their mouth is and the verbiage also specifies this clearly.

    If they trust us and are going to purchase a turnkey property from us for $80,000 in cash for example, then there should be no hesitance in paying a $5,000 refundable deposit either.

    Who bulks at this, isn't serious and hasn't done enough research on our market, company and operation so it's a "no fit".

    Introduced this a while ago as a protection method to not waste time on calls, deal presentation, company resources, etc... only for someone to go MIA and steal all the inside knowledge they gained from us. Happened too many times for first 3-4 years.

    There is no risk of loosing the "deposit" either and it's just a bit of skin in the game even tho the skin is always yours to keep hehe

    Covered all angles mate and made this as fool proof as possible but still enough to make folks "jump" through hoops to see who is legit and who isn't.

    As Chris mentioned, 90% of investors we don't end up working with and even when many commit to the deposit, I refund many times as I don't feel a good fit.

    Even with such stringent criteria, we still get mud thrown on us here on BP as some folks slip through the cracks.

    I could only imagine if we took on everyone and just focused on pushing sales.

    I can sell a TV to a blind man and ice to an eskimo. No issues there at all.

    But never wanted to compromise beliefs just to make sales.

    Not my style.

    If we did that, we would probably just be another turnkey provider with a crap reputation.

    Grazie mille cario mio

  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    OP
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:

    My Dad taught me the most important word in Real Estate  NEXT !.. He also taught me we are independent contractors we are not employees and we do not have to put up with rude behavior etc.

    Engelo you would not know it but I was a lot like you in my younger years when it came to rude and disrespectful clients. 


    Thanks mate,

    Spent the last few years on self mastery but still have a long way to go.

    When I grow up, I want to be like you and Chris hehe

    I owe you guys dinner.

    Hopefully our paths cross somewhere in the future like Vegas hehe

  • Rental Property Investor · Brooke Park Drive · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    Simple process change: $5,000 refundable deposit FIRST, then invest 60 minutes into the call. You have to "pay" to get access to a celebrity like Engelo. Same with a celebrity like Jay you donate $100 to the charity for the access.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:

    My Dad taught me the most important word in Real Estate  NEXT !.. He also taught me we are independent contractors we are not employees and we do not have to put up with rude behavior etc.

    Engelo you would not know it but I was a lot like you in my younger years when it came to rude and disrespectful clients. 


    Thanks mate,

    Spent the last few years on self mastery but still have a long way to go.

    When I grow up, I want to be like you and Chris hehe

    I owe you guys dinner.

    Hopefully our paths cross somewhere in the future like Vegas hehe


    I am in Vegas Now  jump down for Sat. night I am free for you to buy me dinner
  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    OP
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    Simple process change: $5,000 refundable deposit FIRST, then invest 60 minutes into the call. You have to "pay" to get access to a celebrity like Engelo. Same with a celebrity like Jay you donate $100 to the charity for the access.


    Good thought but more needs to be explained/clarified on the intro call regarding the deposit.

    Folks don't even want to send a POF which is mind boggling and we even share a video and attachments on how to send us a POF and not show the account number lol

    Last time I remember speaking to Jay about his hourly rate it was years ago and it was easily a few thousands $$$

    So I guess he was feeling super generous or folks where super tight by donating only $100 hehe

  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    OP
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:

    My Dad taught me the most important word in Real Estate  NEXT !.. He also taught me we are independent contractors we are not employees and we do not have to put up with rude behavior etc.

    Engelo you would not know it but I was a lot like you in my younger years when it came to rude and disrespectful clients. 


    Thanks mate,

    Spent the last few years on self mastery but still have a long way to go.

    When I grow up, I want to be like you and Chris hehe

    I owe you guys dinner.

    Hopefully our paths cross somewhere in the future like Vegas hehe


    I am in Vegas Now  jump down for Sat. night I am free for you to buy me dinner


    Very tempting mate and for you I would hehe

    Maybe 2 days notice next time and not 1 lol

    Happy wife = Happy life mate
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    2y

    Well you know these people are out there, we all get them in every business. A lot of them in the Construction business....when I was doing bids/proposals for high-end jobs I saw these folks a lot. Apparently some people don't mind wasting other peoples time....I personally think that's rude as S**T, but what do I know...?

  • Flipper/Rehabber · CA · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:

    G'Day everyone,

    Nobody talks much about the S#@% that real estate service providers put with.

    All we mostly see is the bad reviews from unsatisfied investors talking smack on all of us.

    So, I’m glad the thread I started a few weeks ago got traction and that many of you agreed.

    You can read more here - https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/48/topics/1170821-wtf-i...

    I'm also happy to share some further light on the disrespect, incompetence and ignorance that we sometimes have to deal with.

    Here is a recent situation and unfortunately I’ve experienced hundreds like it over the the years.

    I guess common courtesy and common sense aren't so common nowadays.

    @Jay Hinrichs You're gonna love this one... 

    Here it goes:

    1) Investor fills out our app.

    2) Investor quickly submits POF.

    3) Investor answers pre-qualification questions.

    4) Call scheduled with me and we talk for a good 60min and have a fantastic call (Investor is made aware of our entire business model and how we operate. I share that some deals aren't yet fully turnkey as we are currently rehabbing them just so we are on the same page. Investors reserve a property in advance and wait for rehab completion. All is clear, investor understands and is satisfied 👍)

    5) Investor is sent our FAQ link for the second time along with a link to hundreds of YouTube video's on our channel (We have been in business for 10+ years and have heard every question asked so there is almost no question that we haven't already answered via the auto email sequence, the content on our website, pre-qualification emails, during the investor on-boarding and during the intro call with Engelo).

    6) Investor promptly signs refundable deposit agreement (All good so far, right?).

    6) I start sending our exclusive deals in advance of receiving the deposit due to how good we both felt on the call (My mistake).

    7) Investor "openly and honestly" questions our business model and wants to know how we make money. I "openly and honestly" in much detail share with chapter long emails (Which I normally never do) what I learnt from the great @Chris Clothier. And that is that we make as much money on every deal as we possible can but we still keep the price at fair market value. "Price is what you pay and value is what you get" - Warren Buffett. My thought process was that I was dealing with a sophisticated individual that understands that a company needs to be profitable in order to be able to offer a valuable service. The investor even nonchalantly said that I don't have to reveal our numbers. (My mistake #2).

    8) Investor makes BS excuse that the properties need too much rehab (By the way, the rehab that the investor doesn't do as that is our job/risk and the investor is more than welcome to do a building inspection once the rehab is completed. ZERO risk to investor and all was already covered during our 60min call).

    9) Investor never sends the deposit.

    10) Investor doesn't reply to follow up emails, txt's or phone calls.

    11) Investor rudely tells my assistant to remove him from the list and hangs up on her.

    There you have it folks.

    Another day in the office and again just one instance out of hundreds that I could write 13 books on what we have experienced since 2014.

    I guess the lesson is that we all need to be "Kings that cry poor".

    It seems like nobody is happy, if you're happy and nobody wants you to do well and make money.

    Everyone seems to want the best deal possible for the lowest price possible even if that comes at the detriment to someone else.

    I'm exaggerating but from a philosophical standpoint, human nature is to feel "more accomplished" and "more satisfied" when knowing someone else pulled out the shorter straw.

    It took me many years of self reflection to master this internal concept of "understanding, empathy and compassion" toward others...

    Would love your thoughts on the above?

    Happy Investing 🏠

    Happy Weekend ☀️

    God Bless America 🇺🇸


     As Bruce mentioned we business owners have been going through this for a LONG time. Keep in mind Americans are consumers, not producers. The vast majority of people have W2 jobs, subsequently they have absolutely know idea of running a business. Think carefully for a moment, as a employee everything has been done for you, you just have to do what you're job description is. Blow em off, move on and don't let them demotivate you. Just some humble advice from a small business owner of 32 years. Now post some property dingo stuff! Lol.

  • Investor / Mentor / Contractor · Arcadia, CA Buying Out of State · Member since 2015 · 655 posts · 622 votes
    2y

    Rude and disrespecful or just ametuer and experiencing fear of own failure?  This person was not ready to use your services. Maybe needs more podcasts and free weekend seminars? (sarcasm).  Truth is that person will never pull the trigger. It's not on you. It's them for sure.

  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    OP
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    Well you know these people are out there, we all get them in every business. A lot of them in the Construction business....when I was doing bids/proposals for high-end jobs I saw these folks a lot. Apparently some people don't mind wasting other peoples time....I personally think that's rude as S**T, but what do I know...?


    For sure mate,

    I bet in higher end markets where you are based in, it's mostly clients F@$#%ing over the contractors..

    In Toledo, it's the other way around.

    We mostly get screwed over by contractors hehe

    Happy Saturday 😁
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    2y

    I bet in higher end markets where you are based in, it's mostly clients F@$#%ing over the contractors..

    Yep. I once had a rich dude refuse to pay the final draw ($40k).......I asked what was wrong? He said "nothing, your work is fantastic....I just like screwing over Contractors." True story.

    Another guy (Surgeon) refused to shake anyone's hand because we were all too "dirty".

    Another lady (famous singer) refused to let a crew member use the toilet in the house. "You guys are filthy animals"....

    Can't make it up, eh?

  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    OP
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Alan F.:
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:

    G'Day everyone,

    Nobody talks much about the S#@% that real estate service providers put with.

    All we mostly see is the bad reviews from unsatisfied investors talking smack on all of us.

    So, I’m glad the thread I started a few weeks ago got traction and that many of you agreed.

    You can read more here - https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/48/topics/1170821-wtf-i...

    I'm also happy to share some further light on the disrespect, incompetence and ignorance that we sometimes have to deal with.

    Here is a recent situation and unfortunately I’ve experienced hundreds like it over the the years.

    I guess common courtesy and common sense aren't so common nowadays.

    @Jay Hinrichs You're gonna love this one... 

    Here it goes:

    1) Investor fills out our app.

    2) Investor quickly submits POF.

    3) Investor answers pre-qualification questions.

    4) Call scheduled with me and we talk for a good 60min and have a fantastic call (Investor is made aware of our entire business model and how we operate. I share that some deals aren't yet fully turnkey as we are currently rehabbing them just so we are on the same page. Investors reserve a property in advance and wait for rehab completion. All is clear, investor understands and is satisfied 👍)

    5) Investor is sent our FAQ link for the second time along with a link to hundreds of YouTube video's on our channel (We have been in business for 10+ years and have heard every question asked so there is almost no question that we haven't already answered via the auto email sequence, the content on our website, pre-qualification emails, during the investor on-boarding and during the intro call with Engelo).

    6) Investor promptly signs refundable deposit agreement (All good so far, right?).

    6) I start sending our exclusive deals in advance of receiving the deposit due to how good we both felt on the call (My mistake).

    7) Investor "openly and honestly" questions our business model and wants to know how we make money. I "openly and honestly" in much detail share with chapter long emails (Which I normally never do) what I learnt from the great @Chris Clothier. And that is that we make as much money on every deal as we possible can but we still keep the price at fair market value. "Price is what you pay and value is what you get" - Warren Buffett. My thought process was that I was dealing with a sophisticated individual that understands that a company needs to be profitable in order to be able to offer a valuable service. The investor even nonchalantly said that I don't have to reveal our numbers. (My mistake #2).

    8) Investor makes BS excuse that the properties need too much rehab (By the way, the rehab that the investor doesn't do as that is our job/risk and the investor is more than welcome to do a building inspection once the rehab is completed. ZERO risk to investor and all was already covered during our 60min call).

    9) Investor never sends the deposit.

    10) Investor doesn't reply to follow up emails, txt's or phone calls.

    11) Investor rudely tells my assistant to remove him from the list and hangs up on her.

    There you have it folks.

    Another day in the office and again just one instance out of hundreds that I could write 13 books on what we have experienced since 2014.

    I guess the lesson is that we all need to be "Kings that cry poor".

    It seems like nobody is happy, if you're happy and nobody wants you to do well and make money.

    Everyone seems to want the best deal possible for the lowest price possible even if that comes at the detriment to someone else.

    I'm exaggerating but from a philosophical standpoint, human nature is to feel "more accomplished" and "more satisfied" when knowing someone else pulled out the shorter straw.

    It took me many years of self reflection to master this internal concept of "understanding, empathy and compassion" toward others...

    Would love your thoughts on the above?

    Happy Investing 🏠

    Happy Weekend ☀️

    God Bless America 🇺🇸


     As Bruce mentioned we business owners have been going through this for a LONG time. Keep in mind Americans are consumers, not producers. The vast majority of people have W2 jobs, subsequently they have absolutely know idea of running a business. Think carefully for a moment, as a employee everything has been done for you, you just have to do what you're job description is. Blow em off, move on and don't let them demotivate you. Just some humble advice from a small business owner of 32 years. Now post some property dingo stuff! Lol.


    Very true mate,

    "Here is your box and stay in it. Don't move away from the grill and flip the patty every 90 seconds"

    lol

    My fire in the belly is always burning mate.

    I can take the hit's and happily turn the other cheek and say "Do this side now".

    As biz owners we get paid the big $$$ to take the hits, so it comes with the job.

    Just happy to share some behind the scenes mumbo jumbo that we put up with.

    I got Dingo Deals falling out of gum trees haha

    Happy Saturday Margarita Day (Was 2 days ago but who's counting hehe)

  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    OP
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    I bet in higher end markets where you are based in, it's mostly clients F@$#%ing over the contractors..

    Yep. I once had a rich dude refuse to pay the final draw ($40k).......I asked what was wrong? He said "nothing, your work is fantastic....I just like screwing over Contractors." True story.

    Another guy (Surgeon) refused to shake anyone's hand because we were all too "dirty".

    Another lady (famous singer) refused to let a crew member use the toilet in the house. "You guys are filthy animals"....

    Can't make it up, eh?



    Hahahah WTF

    I love it you filthy animal lol 🤣

    I know it's illegal but I would tare down $40,000 worth of work for lack of payment.

    Have seen it done many times lol

    I started my career as a laborer in Sydney.

    Swept floors for 4 years and carried sheetrock, studs, etc...

    High rise office fit-outs.

    Could never take the elevator with the white collar folks as we "where" filthy animals.

    Funny thing is, I made more money than most of the suit and tie guys 🖕

    Construction in Oz is very well paid and not much shady biz in not getting paid.

    But yes, treated like S#@% over there also.
  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    OP
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Tim Ryan:

    Rude and disrespecful or just ametuer and experiencing fear of own failure?  This person was not ready to use your services. Maybe needs more podcasts and free weekend seminars? (sarcasm).  Truth is that person will never pull the trigger. It's not on you. It's them for sure.


    Cheers mate,

    I've said it so many times before.

    Who is not happy from within, will never be happy with anything or anyone else.

    Many unhappy folks look for a victim, be it in their personal life or a business.

    Like a drug to an addict.

    They thrive on drama, disputes, problems, arguments, etc...

    Simplicity, common sense, higher moral thinking aren't an option.

    Procrastination, fear, complexity, disagreement, doubt, jealousy, greed, etc... is what drives most of their psyche.

    I've had thousands of investor calls over the years and can literally predict exactly what to expect based on demographic, culture, nationality, age, etc... and by listening to the questions.

    But sometimes, I read it wrong like in this instance. 

    Much success

  • Justin BrickmanBusiness Member
    Realtor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2021 · 502 posts · 274 votes
    2y

    You've been doing a lot of venting on here haha

  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    OP
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Justin Brickman:

    You've been doing a lot of venting on here haha


    You're right mate,

    It was fun while it lasted.

    Going back to delivering value.

    No more crying lol

    Happy Sunday 🙏

  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    2y

    I do not see anything wrong from either party.

    “Everyone seems to want the best deal possible for the lowest price possible even if that comes at the detriment to someone else.”. True.  Buyers want the lowest price.  

    Conversely, sellers want the best deal possible for the highest price possible even if that comes at the detriment to someone else.

    By the way I view both views as capitalism. Buyer tries to purchase cheap as they can obtain, seller tries to sell at highest price they can obtain. Nothing wrong with either perspective. A transaction occurs when both parties are content with the price and terms

    He did not want what you were selling at your price/terms and it may have been your profit amount.  It happens.  Nothing wrong with it. 

    Good luck

  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    OP
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Dan H.:

    I do not see anything wrong from either party.

    “Everyone seems to want the best deal possible for the lowest price possible even if that comes at the detriment to someone else.”. True.  Buyers want the lowest price.  

    Conversely, sellers want the best deal possible for the highest price possible even if that comes at the detriment to someone else.

    By the way I view both views as capitalism. Buyer tries to purchase cheap as they can obtain, seller tries to sell at highest price they can obtain. Nothing wrong with either perspective. A transaction occurs when both parties are content with the price and terms

    He did not want what you were selling at your price/terms and it may have been your profit amount.  It happens.  Nothing wrong with it. 

    Good luck


    I see it as communism mate

    Folks want something for nothing.

    In my world, thing's don't work that way.

    Definitely my mistake for revealing profit.

    I'l cry poor next time as the communist orientated folks would probably prefer it that way.

    Jokes hehe

  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:
    Quote from @Dan H.:

    I do not see anything wrong from either party.

    “Everyone seems to want the best deal possible for the lowest price possible even if that comes at the detriment to someone else.”. True.  Buyers want the lowest price.  

    Conversely, sellers want the best deal possible for the highest price possible even if that comes at the detriment to someone else.

    By the way I view both views as capitalism. Buyer tries to purchase cheap as they can obtain, seller tries to sell at highest price they can obtain. Nothing wrong with either perspective. A transaction occurs when both parties are content with the price and terms

    He did not want what you were selling at your price/terms and it may have been your profit amount.  It happens.  Nothing wrong with it. 

    Good luck


    I see it as communism mate

    Folks want something for nothing.

    In my world, thing's don't work that way.

    Definitely my mistake for revealing profit.

    I'l cry poor next time as the communist orientated folks would probably prefer it that way.

    Jokes hehe

     It is capitalism because he did not get it and he was not expecting to get it for nothing.  He wanted it as cheap as possible.  You wanted to get as much as possible.  The two parties could not come to agreeable terms for both parties.  Capitalism.  

    Little different than you going to the car dealer to purchase a new car.   The dealer wants to obtain as much as possible.  You want to buy as cheap as possible.  Just because you walk away from the purchase if the dealer cannot sell it for what you desire to pay (as cheap as possible) does not mean it is communism.  It also is capitalism.

    I suspect the purchaser would have purchased if you dropped your asking price significantly.  They do not want it for nothing but they want it as cheap as possible.  You did not come to terms agreeable to both parties so there was no transaction.  Capitalism.   You were disappointed because you wanted your profit.  

    I quit my w2.  Ex-employer would like me to consult.  I listed the price necessary to consult.   They say they cannot afford that price.  I question if they can afford to not pay my price.  They offered a lot but still much lower than what I told them.  I told them no.  They asked if I was going to counter. I told them that I told them what it would take.  we did not come to terms that satisfy both parties.  It is capitalism even if my ex-employer is not happy about it.

    Best wishes

  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    OP
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Dan H.:
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:
    Quote from @Dan H.:

    I do not see anything wrong from either party.

    “Everyone seems to want the best deal possible for the lowest price possible even if that comes at the detriment to someone else.”. True.  Buyers want the lowest price.  

    Conversely, sellers want the best deal possible for the highest price possible even if that comes at the detriment to someone else.

    By the way I view both views as capitalism. Buyer tries to purchase cheap as they can obtain, seller tries to sell at highest price they can obtain. Nothing wrong with either perspective. A transaction occurs when both parties are content with the price and terms

    He did not want what you were selling at your price/terms and it may have been your profit amount.  It happens.  Nothing wrong with it. 

    Good luck


    I see it as communism mate

    Folks want something for nothing.

    In my world, thing's don't work that way.

    Definitely my mistake for revealing profit.

    I'l cry poor next time as the communist orientated folks would probably prefer it that way.

    Jokes hehe

     It is capitalism because he did not get it and he was not expecting to get it for nothing.  He wanted it as cheap as possible.  You wanted to get as much as possible.  The two parties could not come to agreeable terms for both parties.  Capitalism.  

    Little different than you going to the car dealer to purchase a new car.   The dealer wants to obtain as much as possible.  You want to buy as cheap as possible.  Just because you walk away from the purchase if the dealer cannot sell it for what you desire to pay (as cheap as possible) does not mean it is communism.  It also is capitalism.

    I suspect the purchaser would have purchased if you dropped your asking price significantly.  They do not want it for nothing but they want it as cheap as possible.  You did not come to terms agreeable to both parties so there was no transaction.  Capitalism.   You were disappointed because you wanted your profit.  

    I quit my w2.  Ex-employer would like me to consult.  I listed the price necessary to consult.   They say they cannot afford that price.  I question if they can afford to not pay my price.  They offered a lot but still much lower than what I told them.  I told them no.  They asked if I was going to counter. I told them that I told them what it would take.  we did not come to terms that satisfy both parties.  It is capitalism even if my ex-employer is not happy about it.

    Best wishes



    I mean we can play with words till the cows come home.

    At the end of the day, the investor didn't invest because he wanted something for nothing.

    When I go to a dealer I don't expect a car for free, or a service for free.

    Same as when I got for a burger to McDonalds lol

    Cheap as possible could be $0 which = Communism, right?

    Or does $1 make it Capitalism?

    Isn't the terminology "expecting something for nothing" communistic?

    Be it a service or product...

    Not disappointed and it is what it is.

    It's a common trend nowadays anyway with folks expecting something for nothing.

    Your former employer is a capitalist because he is an "employer".

    He didn't expect you to work for free.

    Thanks.

    ps. Investor recently reached out again and now wants to invest.

    I change my mind, it's actually not communism.

    It's insanity... hehe
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:
    Quote from @Dan H.:
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:
    Quote from @Dan H.:

    I do not see anything wrong from either party.

    “Everyone seems to want the best deal possible for the lowest price possible even if that comes at the detriment to someone else.”. True.  Buyers want the lowest price.  

    Conversely, sellers want the best deal possible for the highest price possible even if that comes at the detriment to someone else.

    By the way I view both views as capitalism. Buyer tries to purchase cheap as they can obtain, seller tries to sell at highest price they can obtain. Nothing wrong with either perspective. A transaction occurs when both parties are content with the price and terms

    He did not want what you were selling at your price/terms and it may have been your profit amount.  It happens.  Nothing wrong with it. 

    Good luck


    I see it as communism mate

    Folks want something for nothing.

    In my world, thing's don't work that way.

    Definitely my mistake for revealing profit.

    I'l cry poor next time as the communist orientated folks would probably prefer it that way.

    Jokes hehe

     It is capitalism because he did not get it and he was not expecting to get it for nothing.  He wanted it as cheap as possible.  You wanted to get as much as possible.  The two parties could not come to agreeable terms for both parties.  Capitalism.  

    Little different than you going to the car dealer to purchase a new car.   The dealer wants to obtain as much as possible.  You want to buy as cheap as possible.  Just because you walk away from the purchase if the dealer cannot sell it for what you desire to pay (as cheap as possible) does not mean it is communism.  It also is capitalism.

    I suspect the purchaser would have purchased if you dropped your asking price significantly.  They do not want it for nothing but they want it as cheap as possible.  You did not come to terms agreeable to both parties so there was no transaction.  Capitalism.   You were disappointed because you wanted your profit.  

    I quit my w2.  Ex-employer would like me to consult.  I listed the price necessary to consult.   They say they cannot afford that price.  I question if they can afford to not pay my price.  They offered a lot but still much lower than what I told them.  I told them no.  They asked if I was going to counter. I told them that I told them what it would take.  we did not come to terms that satisfy both parties.  It is capitalism even if my ex-employer is not happy about it.

    Best wishes



    I mean we can play with words till the cows come home.

    At the end of the day, the investor didn't invest because he wanted something for nothing.

    When I go to a dealer I don't expect a car for free, or a service for free.

    Same as when I got for a burger to McDonalds lol

    Cheap as possible could be $0 which = Communism, right?

    Or does $1 make it Capitalism?

    Isn't the terminology "expecting something for nothing" communistic?

    Be it a service or product...

    Not disappointed and it is what it is.

    It's a common trend nowadays anyway with folks expecting something for nothing.

    Your former employer is a capitalist because he is an "employer".

    He didn't expect you to work for free.

    Thanks.

    ps. Investor recently reached out again and now wants to invest.

    I change my mind, it's actually not communism.

    It's insanity... hehe

    Engelo you did what is commonly called by professional Sales folks.. THE TAKE AWAY CLOSE it works great in certain situations.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.