Appreciate to have inputs from Experienced Investors

Appreciate to have inputs from Experienced Investors

Homeowner · Member since 2021 · 5 posts · 7 votes

Hi guys I am new real estate investor. I am looking to invest in single/duplex/triplex/qudraplex rental property. I am looking to buy out of state. I started studying markets from Cleveland OH, Columbus OH, Dayton OH, Cincinnati OH, Indianapolis IN. I somehow stuck at Indianapolis and interested to invest in Indianapolis IN. Is it right time to invest?? Is it right to invest in Indianapolis Market?? 

7Reply
97 views

Most Popular Reply

Alfath AhmedBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
2y
Quote from @Sai Paladugula:

Hi guys I am new real estate investor. I am looking to invest in single/duplex/triplex/qudraplex rental property. I am looking to buy out of state. I started studying markets from Cleveland OH, Columbus OH, Dayton OH, Cincinnati OH, Indianapolis IN. I somehow stuck at Indianapolis and interested to invest in Indianapolis IN. Is it right time to invest?? Is it right to invest in Indianapolis Market?? 


 Sai, I am surprised you chose Indianapolis over Columbus. My mentor owns around 800+ doors there and even he shifted his search to Columbus. I primarily work with out-of-state investors and they love investing here for both cashflow and intense appreciation. 

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Member since 2023 · 831 posts · 577 votes
    2y

    Hey Sai the mid-market is a pretty hot and affordable. Check out Zillow hottest housing market of 2024: https://www.axios.com/2024/01/10/zillow-ranking-hottest-real...

    Cleveland is what I focus in, it's great market to focus on for cash flow and specific pockets have gone upwards of 2-4x in the last 5-10 years.

    Dm me and I can share more. 

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Sai Paladugula:

    Hi guys I am new real estate investor. I am looking to invest in single/duplex/triplex/qudraplex rental property. I am looking to buy out of state. I started studying markets from Cleveland OH, Columbus OH, Dayton OH, Cincinnati OH, Indianapolis IN. I somehow stuck at Indianapolis and interested to invest in Indianapolis IN. Is it right time to invest?? Is it right to invest in Indianapolis Market?? 


     If you hold real estate long enough, you almost never can make a mistake. Most people who lose in real estate see it as a road to short-term riches, which it generally is not. What that means is that even if you "overpay" for a property today, there's a pretty good chance that the normal rate of inflation and general appreciation is going to make you look like a genius 30 years from now. 

    The markets you are looking at - are you local to those markets? That is another place where new investors get burned. They invest where someone tells them returns are good, without knowing the markets intimately. You are (almost) always better off investing where you know, which is usually where you live or have lived. If you've lived in your town or city for 5 or 10 or 20 years, you will know things about it I can never know and thus you have a distinct advantage over me when it comes to investing - you know what a good price is, what a bad neighborhood is, what house looks good on paper but is underneath the airport flight path, and so on. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Robert EllisBusiness Member
    Developer · Miami, FL · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Sai Paladugula:

    Hi guys I am new real estate investor. I am looking to invest in single/duplex/triplex/qudraplex rental property. I am looking to buy out of state. I started studying markets from Cleveland OH, Columbus OH, Dayton OH, Cincinnati OH, Indianapolis IN. I somehow stuck at Indianapolis and interested to invest in Indianapolis IN. Is it right time to invest?? Is it right to invest in Indianapolis Market?? 


     What led you to like Indianapolis over the other cities? did you do an in depth dive or visit any of the cities? sometimes it is as simple as having the right team. We do ground up construction of 3-4 units in the urban core of Columbus for investors all over the country. 

  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Sai Paladugula:

    Hi guys I am new real estate investor. I am looking to invest in single/duplex/triplex/qudraplex rental property. I am looking to buy out of state. I started studying markets from Cleveland OH, Columbus OH, Dayton OH, Cincinnati OH, Indianapolis IN. I somehow stuck at Indianapolis and interested to invest in Indianapolis IN. Is it right time to invest?? Is it right to invest in Indianapolis Market?? 


     I would invest locally in Indianapolis if I were you

  • Kristen L GarnerBusiness Member
    Lender · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2021 · 451 posts · 287 votes
    2y

    Hi Sai, I invest in Indianapolis.  I also work with investors who buy in various areas of Ohio.  I'm still seeing investments that pencil out in both states. DM me if you'd like to chat and best of luck! 

  • Samuel DioufBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus & Cleveland, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    If you have a competitive advantage in IN, I would go for it.

  • Alfath AhmedBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Sai Paladugula:

    Hi guys I am new real estate investor. I am looking to invest in single/duplex/triplex/qudraplex rental property. I am looking to buy out of state. I started studying markets from Cleveland OH, Columbus OH, Dayton OH, Cincinnati OH, Indianapolis IN. I somehow stuck at Indianapolis and interested to invest in Indianapolis IN. Is it right time to invest?? Is it right to invest in Indianapolis Market?? 


     Sai, I am surprised you chose Indianapolis over Columbus. My mentor owns around 800+ doors there and even he shifted his search to Columbus. I primarily work with out-of-state investors and they love investing here for both cashflow and intense appreciation. 

  • Sam McCormackBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cincinnati, OH/NKY · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 833 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Sai Paladugula:

    Hi guys I am new real estate investor. I am looking to invest in single/duplex/triplex/qudraplex rental property. I am looking to buy out of state. I started studying markets from Cleveland OH, Columbus OH, Dayton OH, Cincinnati OH, Indianapolis IN. I somehow stuck at Indianapolis and interested to invest in Indianapolis IN. Is it right time to invest?? Is it right to invest in Indianapolis Market?? 


     Hey Sai, I am an agent in Cincinnati and Northern Ky, and if you are interested, I would love to see if your preferences fit this market. Let me know when we can text/call!

    Sam McCormack Realtor
    View Page
  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 28 posts · 10 votes
    2y

    Hi Sai, 

    We own a portfolio of 16 properties in Indianapolis and surrounding suburbs. Please feel free to schedule a call on my calendar to discuss our experience in Indy.

    https://calendly.com/lordoftheinns

  • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Sai Paladugula:

    Hi guys I am new real estate investor. I am looking to invest in single/duplex/triplex/qudraplex rental property. I am looking to buy out of state. I started studying markets from Cleveland OH, Columbus OH, Dayton OH, Cincinnati OH, Indianapolis IN. I somehow stuck at Indianapolis and interested to invest in Indianapolis IN. Is it right time to invest?? Is it right to invest in Indianapolis Market?? 

    Hi Sai, I personally love Columbus Ohio and as someone who works with a lot of out of state investors - there's so many catalysts for why you should invest here. Specifically, there's job growth (Intel, Honda, Amazon, Nationwide, etc) and the population is growing (unlike Cleveland or Cincy). I really see Columbus Ohio as an extremely safe bet for the next 10-20 years. Plus, there's still so many positive cash flowing and 1% deals here in Columbus Ohio. As a local investor and agent here in Columbus, let me know if you have any questions or want to connect!
  • Jake KnightPro Member
    Property Manager · Indianapolis · Member since 2017 · 303 posts · 146 votes
    2y

    We manage properties here in Indy and work REI investors, happy to answer any questions you may have! Generally, Indy is a great market that is growing. I can't speak to the other markets you listed but they are typically compared to our market here so I imagine they're similar.

  • Crystal SmithPro Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Sai Paladugula:

    Hi guys I am new real estate investor. I am looking to invest in single/duplex/triplex/qudraplex rental property. I am looking to buy out of state. I started studying markets from Cleveland OH, Columbus OH, Dayton OH, Cincinnati OH, Indianapolis IN. I somehow stuck at Indianapolis and interested to invest in Indianapolis IN. Is it right time to invest?? Is it right to invest in Indianapolis Market?? 


     My personal opinion is that any time is the right time to invest if you can find opportunities that meet your Return on Investment goals. As a new real estate investor you have to establish some business goals, if you want to treat it as a business and not a hobby.  One of those goals is what kind of returns you want from your investments. Once you've established those goals then you can answer your question about whether it's right to invest in the Indianapolis Market.  

  • Member since 2023 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    1y

    Hello Sai! Good to see your post here. I have been investing in the Indy market since the last 7-8 years and I must say that this is one of the best markets to be in. Let me know if you want to connect. Thank you!

  • Investor · VA MD, NC · Member since 2023 · 35 posts · 17 votes
    1y

    @Sai Paladugula Love the markets you choose. I have analyzes all of these markets and they pencil out as good rental markets for long term Buy and Hold investors. I currently have 40+ unit portfolio in Baltimore where I have had success. I don't necessarily think it hinges on which Market you choose.

    The more important choice is where you'll be able to build the best team that will make your investing Journey the easiest especially with all those markets being great markets. If I were to start over again i think those markets are better than Baltimore however since I've already built out a team in Baltimore i know that's where my unfair advantages and so I still invest in Baltimore even though i think the landscape and the markets that you chose is better.

    Happy to share the analysis I performed on those markets if you want to look at market analytics that shows factors like population growth, unemployment, price to rent ratio, etc. Just send me a message and I'll share them.

    Again I think figure out your Core 4 first and that you have the most confidence in Agent, property manager, contractor, lender and then determine which market you invest in from there.

    Hope that helps and best of luck!

    David Hathaway

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.