RAD Diversified SCAM ALERT!!!

RAD Diversified SCAM ALERT!!!

Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 33 votes

Hello,

I Just wanted to give everyone a quick update on the RAD Diversified scandal that is currently unfolding. As of April 1, 2024, RAD Diversified (a REIT), has officially put a freeze on withdrawing any and all funds from the REIT. If I had to speculate, I would say they are facing some serious liquidity issues. Interestingly enough, I came across an article in the Philidelphia Inquirer that raised concerns about the REIT two years ago. It's pretty much spot on. Looks like your classic Ponzi scheme. It would appear good ole Dutch has been using new investor funds to pay liquidations i.e. robbing Peter to pay Paul. I guess the well has run dry.

I myself was duped into investing $5000 (unaccredited) into the fund and will now no longer be able to liquidate any portion of my shares. The URL provided above will take you to official statement that RAD has provided to the SEC. Personally, I doubt its authenticity, but that's the direct information I was provided with from Alexander Prock, as of one hour ago. I also know that RAD's accreditation with the BBB has been revoked due to the massive influx of similar complaints that have been pouring in since the official statement was released on April 1st, 2024.

I would strongly advise ALL BP members to stay far away from this scam. I highly doubt I will ever see my money again. I would sincerely hope that the SEC has begun looking into this and/or the FBI. And, by the way, Dutch Mendenhall the CEO of RAD, has been a member of the BP community now for several years so feel free to chime in bud. Below is a copy of the SEC statement. It really makes me sick that these scam artists run rampant while the SEC does absolutely nothing to combat the issues. Anyway, please feel free to do your own due diligence but it looks like we all got got.



"On April 1, 2024, the board of directors (the “Board") of RAD Diversified REIT, Inc. (the "Company”) decided, in accordance with the terms of its Share Redemption Program, to continue the temporary freeze of the Company’s redemption program. The Company will not process any pending requests that have not been redeemed as of February 1, 2024 nor will it accept any redemption requests after April 1, 2024. Pending redemption requests will remain in queue until the Company recommences the redemption program. The Board intends to reassess this decision to determine whether to recommence the redemption program or to continue to pause the redemption program no later than July 1, 2024."

13Reply
5,573 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
2y
Quote from @Scott Trench:

I have no idea what is happening at this particular fund, and can’t chime in on any specifics.

I will say that I, along with many investors in the community, have likely lost a lot of money. Syndicators who bragged about how smart they were, showed off fancy lives, cars, private jets, and mansions, second homes, and wrote books and sold expensive courses about how smart they are at investing are being exposed all over the place. Sometimes, these syndicators who are actively in process of wiping out investor’s life savings, even brag about how automated their businesses are and how they don’t have to work!

I’m not making the same mistakes with my money again, nor will I allow investors who made their name in part on BiggerPockets to go unexposed if they treat investors poorly, lose huge amounts of investor money, or clearly mismanage funds.

We are starting PassivePockets.com and launch it in June. We will learn how to find and vet “good” and expose “bad” for ALL to see. In the meantime, we will watch the forums for more posts about the syndicators who handle situations to the chagrin of their investors. 


 Morning Scott,  I missed this post and posted above but its worth repeating. What I see irrespective of how the deals are going is the lack of communications from these syndicators
with respect to how their deals are actually doing. Communication good or bad goes along way to keeping investors from being upset to going ballistic on the internet and creating irreparable harm to the syndicators reputations.

It seems that most of the BP influencers I have seen over the years have stepped into MF syndication with varying results. So to that end they are new to the game never went through a deep downturn cycle. And for them rasing capital on SM BP facebook whatever has been fairly easy compared to others who dont have a big SM or BP presence.  This is where the crowdfunding sites helped a lot fo those types scale.

The play book as you described is an old one when it comes to marketing themselves nothing different than what the how to trainer do. The difference is they are stuck with a certain asset as we are seeing. The trainers just pivot to what is working today and set up training in that niche. But its all the same big budget for marketing and go hammer the airwaves/internet. Sell the sizzle etc etc.

Having been front and center in the late 80s of a billion dollar syndication company ( was an independent contractor in charge of finding and entitling their land projects in northern CA.) I saw what happens when these things start to go south and from my mind most of these companies that could be struggling now simply do not have enough staff to handle all their investors needs in a timely fashion and when things go bad like we see posted on BP right now lack of up front communications leads to Investors going out of their minds with worry and the blame game starts. Then of course google searches bring all these things to the front page and next thing you know reputations get hammered..

As one who personally had a medium sized HML company going into 2007 2008 with 600 loans on my books and by 2010 went through a massive re value melt down all of us in that business got hammered for us we started in 2001 and by 2010 had to basically shut down let go 90% of staff and spent 3 to 4 years hemorrhaging our net worth's to make sure our banks got paid ( which to my personal financial situation was devastating) Most of my peers went out of business completely ( BK) I did not but by 2011 I was basically starting over. But with my head held high gone was all the normal trappings of RE success being served as a big slice of humble pie :(.

And as my core commercial banks understood that I doing everything i could to protect them. The one bank left kept a 1 mil line of credit for me ( down from 15 mil) had me  on a 90 day extensions for 4 years and allowed to to earn back in. Its taken basically 12 years to get back to maybe half of what I had at the time.

Bottom line RE cycles and I suspect most of the folks that are having issues did what they thought was correct or right and the market has gone against them.. If they are not changing their personal lifestyles to adjust to this, not communicating, doing new deals leaving old ones to wither then you know what your dealing with the goal ( human nature i guess) is to keep lifestyle intact at all costs.

To that end I just paid off yesterday my last legacy bank debt took me 12 years but its done an gone now. But those same banks stuck with me and allowed me to pivot and build up my new construction side using bank debt intead of HML.. etc etc.

So If i was guessing most of the folks having issues in the space have very little assets aimed toward client relations and communications but still do big spends on advertising for new blood.

See this reply in the discussion

497 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2025 · 48 posts · 38 votes
    5mo

    It's what sociopathic, scamming criminals do.  They try and scare investors by threatening lawsuits that never happen.  

  • Member since 2024 · 9 posts · 12 votes
    4mo

    I don't want this thread to die off until Dutch, Amy and his disgusting crew of henchmen (Mark Fraser, Vanessa Mendenhall, Dory Mendenhall, Taylor Green, etc) are in prison and have all assets clawed back. Dutch deserves life in prison for his actions. Threatening his investors that if they complained to SEC he would pay them back last (even though he was never going to pay them a dime anyway). He literally threatened that on a Zoom call. He took money from me for a specific investment that never went through. When I found out he still wouldn't send me my money back. They would lie and send me fake photos/screenshots like they wired me money when they hadn't really wired the money and then acted like I needed to talk to Schwab. I went up to meet Dutch once and he seemed strung out and weird like he has a drug habit which I've heard from insiders (but he may just be nervous from running a 100M Ponzi). He would just make up appraisals so they could immediately take their share of fake gains in the share price of the REIT. He tried to sell shares to his Inner Circle members for REIT management ownership when it was already completely insolvent in one last ditch effort to fleece his investors who believed in him for 100k a piece. There's not one thing that is real about Dutch. His whole life is a facade. He is not successful in anything and he never has been. He's just a con artist who should rot in a cell for ruining peoples lives. He hasn't threatened violence against any investors yet that I know of but it wouldn't surprise me if he did. Why would he pay 20k a month for 24hr security unless he is operating in some shady business and is worried bout violence being done to him. Why would a real estate guy be that worried? He may also flee the country.

  • Member since 2024 · 95 posts · 35 votes
    4mo

    I agree 200%

  • Member since 2025 · 50 posts · 33 votes
    4mo

    HUGE DAY FOR JUSTICE! 

    Dutch Mendenhall was indicted by the US Attorney today!

    MANY for charges to come for Dutch and MANY more employees will be involved like (Dory Mendenhall, Amy Vaughn, Taylor Green, Gretchen, Lionel Beltran, Mark Frasier). They all knew they were stealing money and not investing it as marketed to us.

    https://www.justice.gov/usao-mdfl/media/1443356/dl?inline=&a...

    ;t=195s
    • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
      Moderator
      Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
      4mo
      Quote from @Joseph M.:

      HUGE DAY FOR JUSTICE! 

      Dutch Mendenhall was indicted by the US Attorney today!

      MANY for charges to come for Dutch and MANY more employees will be involved like (Dory Mendenhall, Amy Vaughn, Taylor Green, Gretchen, Lionel Beltran, Mark Frasier). They all knew they were stealing money and not investing it as marketed to us.

      https://www.justice.gov/usao-mdfl/media/1443356/dl?inline=&a...

      ;t=195s

       Yikes. looks like they arrested him for taking investor money to buy his primary residence. Not very bright if that is the case.

      7e investments53 Reviews
    • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
      Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
      4mo
      Quote from @Chris Seveney:
      Quote from @Joseph M.:

      HUGE DAY FOR JUSTICE! 

      Dutch Mendenhall was indicted by the US Attorney today!

      MANY for charges to come for Dutch and MANY more employees will be involved like (Dory Mendenhall, Amy Vaughn, Taylor Green, Gretchen, Lionel Beltran, Mark Frasier). They all knew they were stealing money and not investing it as marketed to us.

      https://www.justice.gov/usao-mdfl/media/1443356/dl?inline=&a...

      ;t=195s

       Yikes. looks like they arrested him for taking investor money to buy his primary residence. Not very bright if that is the case.


      Yup they only do this when its a slam dunker.. suspect these guys will plead out and not go to trial. 
    • Member since 2024 · 18 posts · 21 votes
      4mo
      Quote from @Joseph M.:

      HUGE DAY FOR JUSTICE! 

      Dutch Mendenhall was indicted by the US Attorney today!

      MANY for charges to come for Dutch and MANY more employees will be involved like (Dory Mendenhall, Amy Vaughn, Taylor Green, Gretchen, Lionel Beltran, Mark Frasier). They all knew they were stealing money and not investing it as marketed to us.

      https://www.justice.gov/usao-mdfl/media/1443356/dl?inline=&a...

      ;t=195s

      I hope they arrest his wife Vanessa Mendenhall - she was complicit in it all. His accomplice. The only person who would speak to investors on the phone On Dutch’s behalf. And herself raised plenty of investor money via her “Seminar Solutions” offering via unsecured loans. Which I have heard have yet to be repaid. 

    • Member since 2024 · 25 posts · 4 votes
      4mo
      Quote from @Jennifer O.:
      Quote from @Joseph M.:

      HUGE DAY FOR JUSTICE! 

      Dutch Mendenhall was indicted by the US Attorney today!

      MANY for charges to come for Dutch and MANY more employees will be involved like (Dory Mendenhall, Amy Vaughn, Taylor Green, Gretchen, Lionel Beltran, Mark Frasier). They all knew they were stealing money and not investing it as marketed to us.

      https://www.justice.gov/usao-mdfl/media/1443356/dl?inline=&a...

      ;t=195s

      I hope they arrest his wife Vanessa Mendenhall - she was complicit in it all. His accomplice. The only person who would speak to investors on the phone On Dutch’s behalf. And herself raised plenty of investor money via her “Seminar Solutions” offering via unsecured loans. Which I have heard have yet to be repaid. 

      Haha, he's going down. I'd like to see him living under a highway overpass or in a tent on the street. Makes my mouth water.

    • Member since 2025 · 48 posts · 38 votes
      4mo
      Quote from @Chris Seveney:
      Quote from @Joseph M.:

      HUGE DAY FOR JUSTICE! 

      Dutch Mendenhall was indicted by the US Attorney today!

      MANY for charges to come for Dutch and MANY more employees will be involved like (Dory Mendenhall, Amy Vaughn, Taylor Green, Gretchen, Lionel Beltran, Mark Frasier). They all knew they were stealing money and not investing it as marketed to us.

      https://www.justice.gov/usao-mdfl/media/1443356/dl?inline=&a...

      ;t=195s

       Yikes. looks like they arrested him for taking investor money to buy his primary residence. Not very bright if that is the case.


    • Member since 2025 · 48 posts · 38 votes
      4mo
      Quote from @Chris Seveney:
      Quote from @Joseph M.:

      HUGE DAY FOR JUSTICE! 

      Dutch Mendenhall was indicted by the US Attorney today!

      MANY for charges to come for Dutch and MANY more employees will be involved like (Dory Mendenhall, Amy Vaughn, Taylor Green, Gretchen, Lionel Beltran, Mark Frasier). They all knew they were stealing money and not investing it as marketed to us.

      https://www.justice.gov/usao-mdfl/media/1443356/dl?inline=&a...

      ;t=195s

       Yikes. looks like they arrested him for taking investor money to buy his primary residence. Not very bright if that is the case.


    • Member since 2025 · 48 posts · 38 votes
      4mo
      Quote from @Jennifer O.:
      Quote from @Joseph M.:

      HUGE DAY FOR JUSTICE! 

      Dutch Mendenhall was indicted by the US Attorney today!

      MANY for charges to come for Dutch and MANY more employees will be involved like (Dory Mendenhall, Amy Vaughn, Taylor Green, Gretchen, Lionel Beltran, Mark Frasier). They all knew they were stealing money and not investing it as marketed to us.

      https://www.justice.gov/usao-mdfl/media/1443356/dl?inline=&a...

      ;t=195s

      I hope they arrest his wife Vanessa Mendenhall - she was complicit in it all. His accomplice. The only person who would speak to investors on the phone On Dutch’s behalf. And herself raised plenty of investor money via her “Seminar Solutions” offering via unsecured loans. Which I have heard have yet to be repaid. 


    • Member since 2025 · 48 posts · 38 votes
      4mo
      Quote from @Jennifer O.:
      Quote from @Joseph M.:

      HUGE DAY FOR JUSTICE! 

      Dutch Mendenhall was indicted by the US Attorney today!

      MANY for charges to come for Dutch and MANY more employees will be involved like (Dory Mendenhall, Amy Vaughn, Taylor Green, Gretchen, Lionel Beltran, Mark Frasier). They all knew they were stealing money and not investing it as marketed to us.

      https://www.justice.gov/usao-mdfl/media/1443356/dl?inline=&a...

      ;t=195s

      I hope they arrest his wife Vanessa Mendenhall - she was complicit in it all. His accomplice. The only person who would speak to investors on the phone On Dutch’s behalf. And herself raised plenty of investor money via her “Seminar Solutions” offering via unsecured loans. Which I have heard have yet to be repaid. 

      That is correct and I can personally vouch for that.  They stole my money as well as hundreds of others.
  • Member since 2025 · 50 posts · 33 votes
    4mo

    Likely just the fastest and easiest charge to begin with. Watch the 15min video press conference. The federal agencies are definitely onto all of his schemes and all his associates! What a great start for victims/investors. 

    Meanwhile his chapter 11 bankruptcy is undergoing forensic accounting investigation. It’ll take time but everything will be revealed! 

  • Member since 2025 · 48 posts · 38 votes
    4mo

    The words "bright" and Brandon Mendenhall are not exactly synonomous

  • Stuart UdisPro Member
    Attorney · Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2mo

    No surprise here. From the first time I became aware of Rad Diversified, I couldn't understand why so many people were buying into the story. The valuations never passed the smell test, and I never found the leadership's background or experience convincing enough to justify the scale of what they were asking investors to trust them with. The SEC's lawsuit doesn't surprise me at all. It's another reminder that flashy marketing is not a substitute for fundamentals, transparency, and experienced management with verifiable track records.

    I sincerely feel bad for the people who invested with this company. If you are someone with limited real estate knowledge or expertise and you find yourself targeted by social media add campaigns, ask yourself why you are their target. The sad truth is many of these capital raising companies intentionally target investors they know won't ask the hard questions before writing a check.

    SEC.gov | RAD Diversified REIT, Inc.; Brandon “Dutch” Mendenhall; Amy Vaughn; and The Seminar Solution, LLC, Relief Defendant

    • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
      Moderator
      Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
      2w

      Looks like it is allegedly getting worse: Stealing from the employees retirement plans as well. That is just cold if its true.

      Legal troubles mount as REIT founders indicted for stealing from employees | Business Observer

      7e investments53 Reviews
    • Member since 2025 · 50 posts · 33 votes
      2w

      The alleged mortgage/mail fraud and the employee health insurance/401(k) theft are terrible, but I think the much bigger story is what happened to the investors’ money. The SEC has now alleged a $152 million fraudulent investment scheme, including roughly $54 million transferred from RAD to TSS and millions allegedly misappropriated. The bankruptcy forensic examination also raises serious questions about commingling, intercompany transfers, valuations, and how investor funds were actually being used.

      What still needs to be fully investigated is whether this was functioning as a Ponzi-type operation, including whether newer investor money was being used to support distributions, redemptions, or operations rather than returns being generated as represented. That potentially affects thousands of investors and far more money than the individual criminal charges we’ve seen so far.

      https://document.epiq11.com/document/getdocumentbycode?docId=4597986&projectCode=RDX&source=DM

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.