When Does Equity Become Useful?

When Does Equity Become Useful?

Real Estate Broker · Frankfort, KY · Member since 2019 · 129 posts · 31 votes

For investors who have built equity in an investment property, when do you start considering a refinance?

Is your primary goal usually:

Accessing equity → Funding another deal → Restructuring debt → Improving liquidity?


What would make a refinance worthwhile for you?

1Reply
280 views

Most Popular Reply

Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
Moderator
Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
1d

Only time I ever look at refinancing is if it reduces the interest considerably. I do not refinance to take the money out or over lever a property.

7e investments53 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    1d

    Only time I ever look at refinancing is if it reduces the interest considerably. I do not refinance to take the money out or over lever a property.

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Technology · FL · Member since 2026 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    1d

    Outside view, I'm not an investor. Equity is only useful once you'd be comfortable defending the number. The test I'd use before a cash out refi: would you buy this property today at the appraised value? If yes, the equity is real and pulling it out to fund the next deal makes sense. If you wouldn't, you're borrowing against a number you don't believe, at a new rate on the whole loan.

  • Arman AhmedPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 938 votes
    1d
    Quote from @Linda Murray:

    For investors who have built equity in an investment property, when do you start considering a refinance?

    Is your primary goal usually:

    Accessing equity → Funding another deal → Restructuring debt → Improving liquidity?


    What would make a refinance worthwhile for you?

    For me, a refinance makes sense when the equity can actually do something productive. If I can pull cash out, keep the property cash-flowing, and use that money to buy another solid deal, that’s usually the goal. I’d rather recycle the equity into another property than leave it sitting there, but only if the new debt still makes sense after the higher payment.

  • James JonesPro Member
    Investor · Collierville, TN 38017 · Member since 2017 · 667 posts · 483 votes
    1d

    For me the refinance IS the business model. I BRRRR everything: buy single-family under $100K, rehab, then refinance into a DSCR loan at 70-80% LTV to pull most of my capital back out.

    So my answer to "when does equity become useful" is: the day the house is stabilized and the appraisal supports it. Equity sitting in a property is dead money to me — deal flow is my bottleneck, not money, so every dollar trapped in a house is a dollar that can't buy the next one.

    The test is simple: after the refi, does the property still cash flow $200+/door/month on conservative numbers? If yes, pull the capital and recycle it. If the refi only works by stretching the numbers, leave it alone. I never refinance to over-lever a thin deal. The refi has to make the portfolio bigger AND keep every property standing on its own.

  • Travis TimmonsPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Ellsworth, ME · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1d

    It is useful to pull out when a property gets to the point where the leverage does not put too much pressure on the house to perform.

    On a more holistic and behavioral finance level, I think having a pile of equity and real estate investing in general is the best way to be rich but feel like you are not. You are increasing your net worth and putting yourself in a position to scramble, work harder, find ways to be opportunistic and make extra money.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.