Virtually NO Maintenance Reserves Needed for Property Analysis!

Virtually NO Maintenance Reserves Needed for Property Analysis!

Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2014 · 122 posts · 29 votes

Hello everyone - I am starting this topic because I am curious to know 2 things:

1)  Is there anyone out there doing this with success?

2)  What your thoughts are around this subject, in general.

My uncle owns (outright) 24, 4-family townhomes that he has acquired over the last 25 years. He basically owns an entire street, and he was able to payoff the mortgages faster because he puts $0...THAT'S RIGHT...ZERO DOLLARS...into a general maintenance account. Most people put, on average, 10% per month into a maintenance account, but he never has. He has always taken the extra 10% and has applied it toward the principal of his loan balances. Now he owns $2.5mm in real estate, cash flowing $108,000 per year. Keep in mind - this is not to be confused with a CAPEX account. He does save money for large items such as a roof, building structure, etc. However, most investors do both. But, WHY was he able to achieve this success?

I sat down with my uncle to learn about his success, and here is his secret. He met with a real estate attorney and developed a lease that forces the renter to take care of the general maintenance of the property. For example, if a light bulb needs replaced, the lawn needs cut, snow needs to be removed, someone breaks a window, etc., then the tenant is responsible for the caring of the property. This allows him to be virtually hands-off from his properties, and he doesn't need to pay a property management company on a monthly basis. If a tenant moves out, he will bring in his contractor to fix up the place, but he doesn't have to give away 10% of his rents to a maintenance account or property management company. However, just to reiterate, he does put money away for CAPEX. He is responsible for the bigger ticket items like plumbing, electrical, roof, etc. By writing this stipulation into his lease, he has been able to pay way more money on his principal every month, hence why he was able to payoff $2.5mm in just 25 years.

I asked him to show me a copy of his lease, and I ended up writing this into mine as well.  What this does is give the tenant "some skin in the game".  They are actually invested in the property, not just living there.  Of course, this isn't fool proof, but he hasn't had any issues in the last 20 years.  I have owned 2 properties since May, and I haven't had to visit either of them yet.  It is written in the contract that if any of these conditions is not met, then the owner keeps the security deposit in full.

Has anyone else out there head of this?  I haven't seen it in any forums, but my uncle and I have been able to get away with dumping another 10% of capital on the mortgage every month.

0Reply
91 views

Most Popular Reply

Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2014 · 659 posts · 536 votes
11y

Not a chance that I would leave any type of repairs to my residents.  My maintenance guys are trained to make repairs exactly the way that I like them to be done.  I don't want a major repair resulting from some minor plumbing leak or to have a resident slice a big gash in their arm trying to change out the glass in a window.

I would rather save my money by doing quick and efficient repairs that are done right.

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    @Kyle H. 

      no wonder I was such a bad landlord.. I always paid to replace those also garage doors when they ran into them   LOL.... 

  • Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 354 posts · 167 votes
    11y

    @Kyle H. 

    Thanks for the response.  I have the tentants maintain the appliances, lawn care, cleanliness, etc.  I make it a point that the property is returned to us in the condition that we gave it to them less normal wear.  I am just wondering how you get them to maintain the entire property and what a lease looks like that they are responsible for it. 

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 18k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Kyle H.:

    Most people put aside money for property maintenance/upkeep (i.e. property manager).  This can take away 10% of cash flow every month.  However, since he makes the tenants responsible for the total upkeep of the property, he does not have to put money aside for general maintenance or a property management company. 

    There's a difference between maintenance reserves and a property management company.  The 10% (give or take) that a property management company charges isn't to cover the cost of repairs -- it's to cover things like:

    -  Tenant Placement

    -  Tenant Due Diligence

    -  Taking Phone Calls from Tenants

    -  Coordinating Contractors

    -  Handling Contracts

    -  Evictions

    -  Turnover Coordination

    None of that stuff is being done by the tenants in your contract (other than *maybe* contractor coordination), so you still are on the hook for the Property Management costs (or time/effort).

    It's the maintenance expense that you're trying to reduce, but the bulk of maintenance expenses will be issues that the tenant didn't cause, and in some states, legally can't be required to pay.  Additionally, the bulk of those issues will be plumbing, electrical or HVAC related, and I believe you said that you didn't make the tenant responsible for those things.

    Ultimately, I don't think you're saving very much money...and I also believe that you're creating additional risks (property and legal) as I pointed out above.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.