Investing in Allentown, PA?

23 Replies

Hello, any investors have experience in Allentown, PA? I have been looking on a few real estate sites and see some low prices on SFHs. Are there areas to avoid here? Any advice would be helpful. I know nothing of the area.

@Eric DeVito

The Allentown zip code break down:

18104 = West-end, most desirable

18109 = East-side, similar desirability to 18103

18103 = South-side, similar desirability to 18109

18102 = Center city, lowest prices, least desirable

I'll buy 18102, but I am an experienced landlord times 18 years.  NOT for the beginner or the soft -hearted.  

Originally posted by @Eric E. :

I'll buy 18102, but I am an experienced landlord times 18 years.  NOT for the beginner or the soft -hearted.  

I understand. Yes I am a beginner  from Staten Island, NY. What do you recommend then? What if I I used property management.

Originally posted by @Mark Gallagher :

@Eric DeVito

The Allentown zip code break down:

18104 = West-end, most desirable

18109 = East-side, similar desirability to 18103

18103 = South-side, similar desirability to 18109

18102 = Center city, lowest prices, least desirable

Thanks, I will take a look. Any other areas you recommend?

@Eric DeVito I personally like the Bethlehem areas. South Bethlehem, North Bethlehem and West Bethlehem.  But I do know a lot of people who do invest in Allentown and do well. I actually see a lot of people trying to rent my places in Bethlehem that are trying to move out of Allentown.

Thanks

Rich

I'm a beginning investor  and have been looking at the Bethlehem area myself. @Rich Vogel are you targeting the college housing market in the area? I've been thinking in that direction but don't know enough yet about the special circumstances that could go along with that market. 

@Tom W. we have one property that is in the college area the other properties are throughout south Bethlehem, North Bethlehem, and Fountain Hill. I really like this area cause it is growing, especially with people moving from new jersey and new York. 

Thanks

Rich

@Rich Vogel I will expand my search into Bethlehem. Any streets to avoid? Right now I'm just looking at homes for a $100,000  and under on various real estate websites. As a new investor should I stick with sfh or duplex?

@Eric DeVito . Hey Eric I try and avoid house in the area of Mechanic st. in south bethlehem.  I would also not purchase anything on Wyndotte just cause it is such a busy street. If you are looking at a property let me know I can give you any advice on it that I might know. 

@Rich Vogel thanks! Right now all I am doing is looking at Bethlehem and Allentown areas on realtor.com. Just looking at photos too see which looks to be in best condition. I will also play around with the BP rental calculator. Not sure what else too do.

@Eric DeVito  I would schedule some appointments and get into a couple of places. Even if you aren't ready to buy  it will get you a better understanding of what to look for and what areas you like.  Something I always do and it gets me so much information is talk to the neighbors they generally always no the story behind the home.  

Hello,

Can anyone recommend Property Managers in the Allentown or Bethlehem areas?

Thanks!

mark gallagher..,with area at allentown is good for flipping house? house price arround $50.000 - $100.000? 

anyone know please let me know.thanks. Lino

@Realino Wijaya

Need more details. You want to buy for $50,000-$100,000, or you want that to be the resale price? Either way, you're probably looking at a small portion of 18104, but more likely 18103 or 18109. 

we want resale price after renovations  arround $90.000 to $110.000, so which area is still hot? a lot of buyer looking for it?at allentown?how is the city now?is the economic growing?

how is the technology company over there?is growing?thanks mark

we want resale price after renovations  arround $90.000 to $110.000, so which area is still hot? a lot of buyer looking for it?at allentown?how is the city now?is the economic growing?

how is the technology company over there?is growing?thanks mark

when i see at sherif sale. the house cost $61.996,35 what that mean?

is that mean we will bid until that price and up? or after win the bid, we still pay that amount to bank or sherif office?

hi happy new year everyone.hopefully all of us will do better in real estate business this year 😀

by the way anyone know good general contractor who doing remodeling at single family house at allentown,PA? Thanks

Anyone can recommend lenders that will do less than 30% down for a 3-4 unit investment property?

@Eric DeVito I am from Staten Island originally too and am looking into investing in the Lehigh valley area. Would love to connect with you and share experiences!

we sell property at 446 w turner st allentown,PA.anybody looking for that property can see at MLS (trulia or zillow) thanks

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here