What is your COLLEGE DEGREE IN!?

What is your COLLEGE DEGREE IN!?

Westford, MA · Member since 2016 · 113 posts · 106 votes
Hi BP! My name is Scott and I am just starting out my real estate investing venture this year. I find it to be imperative for all investors to look back on their past and understand how their formal educations have helped launched their real estate investing careers. PLEASE JOIN IN AND SHARE HOW YOUR COLLEGE DEGREE HELPED LAUNCHED YOUR REI CAREER!! I was trained to be an architect at Wentworth Institute of Technology. There I earned my Bachelors of Science in Architecture and Masters of Architecture in 2015. On top of that I earned the title of Valedictorian and an AIA National Award for Emerging Professionals. Upon graduating I had numerous offers from several prestigious design firms throughout Boston and greater New England. In my past two years I have found that working as a Young Architect provides too much stability and consistency. Personally, I enjoy the adrenaline rush of controlling my own future and destiny. Also, I love being on site studying and analyzing properties, design layouts, and creating ways to add value to homes. When people ask me "Why are you getting into real estate? I thought you are an architect?" - little do they realize that my I am using my strong understanding of design and construction and applying it to a more exciting career!
22Reply
1,479 views

Most Popular Reply

Mindy JensenPro Member
BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
9y

Like all successful real estate investors, I studied Fashion Design in college.

See this reply in the discussion

262 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bend, OR · Member since 2016 · 209 posts · 87 votes
    9y

    My Bachelors of Science is in Leadership. I went to seminary (grad school) for a bout a year and a half. 

    My biggest takeaway from college - discipline. So many times I had to stay up late and write a paper or do homework that I didn't want to do. But by doing it anyway, I developed discipline. That will have a lasting impact on my life and real estate career. 

  • Attorney · Northbrook, IL · Member since 2017 · 719 posts · 549 votes
    9y

    Political Science - Loyola University Chicago

    J.D. - John Marshall Law School

    Although a big part of my education was growing up in a family real estate company.

  • Investor · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2016 · 135 posts · 42 votes
    9y

    Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering, Auburn University. Tomorrow is the last day of my 2 weeks notice where I work as a design engineer! Wholesaling full time.

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 318 posts · 307 votes
    9y
    Great post! MBA Financial Fraud and Management BA in Finance. Both from Saint Xavier University here in Chicago.
  • Real Estate Entrepreneur / Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 688 posts · 367 votes
    9y
    Bachelors computer science from University of Illinois chicago It was a good program. I learned more from Google and YouTube. They are the best teachers in the world. I always had a strong passion for tech but real estate is creeping up and very fast but I will always be in tech in some form. -Learn something everyday-
  • Lender · Bellevue WA & Orange County, CA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Finance and computer science.

    Finance helps a lot on the lending end and just grasping things that go on in the industry and REI.

    Computer sci, not really so much but the systems and design aspects help in other planning areas.

  • James MasottiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Washington Township, NJ · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 976 votes
    9y

    My bachelors is in International Studies from a small school in central Pennsylvania. Other than a degree being required for some of the companies I've worked for, my degree has done nothing for me. 

    I also have a paralegal certificate that I got when I was considering law school for awhile. 

    Now I work in supply chain/operations and invest in real estate...

    So my "formal" education has done nothing but given me student loan debt. 

  • Specialist · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2016 · 388 posts · 318 votes
    9y
    I have a Bachelors in Computer Science and a Bachelors in Economics from UCSC. I also have an MBA from Hawaii as well as several professional certificates in IT, as well as a PMP. In my 11 years of real estate investing, I found my degrees of very little use. Have my accounting classes helped? Sure, somewhat. But deals are analyzed in 15 minutes, all the numbers can be crunched on a spreadsheet for you. Keeping your books? $20/hr task that can be farmed out. The way I see it, you need talent in picking the right deals and negotiating the right price. That's something that only comes from experience, not a degree.
  • Victor SoBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 325 posts · 193 votes
    9y

    I received my Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) degree from Midwestern University in Downer's Grove, Illinois. I got into management right out of school and was a pharmacy manager at the business Walgreens pharmacy in Southbend, IN. Eventually, I got transferred to Illinois and eventually ended up managing the business 24 hour Walgreens pharmacy in my district in Round Lake, IL. My initial goal was to make it to corporate and retire in upper management. However, I realized that I was miserable as a manager and didn't want to be tied down. I wanted more control of my time and finances. Therefore, I chose to get into real estate. I stepped down from management and I am trying to build my real estate portfolio. I think I made the right decision. However, I guess only time will tell...

    Victor So Real Estate LLC517 Reviews
  • Investor · Crosby, TX · Member since 2014 · 124 posts · 72 votes
    9y

    Chemical Engineering, BUT my degree was probably the biggest hindrance in my investing. As an engineer, I usually over analyzed everything and missed out on a number of deals. Also, feeling the need to belong to corporate America and "use my education" was also a big obstacle. I hope to continue to grow my business enough to hire someone with a degree. I just turned in my notice and took a job with a lower salary but more free time to be able to work on my RE business.

  • Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2016 · 40 posts · 19 votes
    9y

    B.S. in Biology with a minor in Ethics, got an M.D. after that.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 42 posts · 23 votes
    9y
    @Scott Graham: Awesome Question!

    I Attempted to get my school degrees too many times and life and my finances were complicating that goal. University of TN for Business Management, got board... National College of Business & Technology, Knoxville just got old way too fast for me, Moved to Atlanta, GA back to parents home, send me Back to school to get a degree at ACS college in Computer Tech Analyst, uughh tired some, I'm a loud people person and I thought I don't want my head inside some computer's butt all day, NEXT... last attempt was going to ITT-Tech for Drafting & Design on 2007 not only did I receive a 4.0 in my 1st year, I Love to Art/draw and Love computers designing. Once agin due to financing not getting there fast enough. SO instead I studied even though I never finish and till this day Everyone I meet swears I went to college and purchased a degree, well no. All I have is a GED and a couple of attempts to going to school. 

    In between time I studied Real Estate in its entirety for 5 long years, before I took my 1st step in 2016 to do my 1st flip. Its currently on the market now for sale  and after what I know now, I wish I took my risk much earlier than I did. But like most Parents say, yelling in your ear go to college, go to college go to college! Lol ... well funny thing is with NO degree and just learning on my own and much training, studying and many many seminars, I made $90k in less than 8 month with NO degree.

    No way am I saying Not to go to school it was just not my thing my attention span is very short once I know it, I want to move forward to the next thing to learn & experience. Now I can do what I truly want which is learn to become Visual Artist....

    Though with All my knowledge and Love for Art & Traveling, I have time to do everything with Real Estate investing. Me and my husband are now seeking a hold properties and more flips to grow our corporation for our other businesses. 

  • Investor · Fort Walton Beach, FL · Member since 2015 · 568 posts · 966 votes
    9y

    BS in Psychology and Education and MSc in Speech Language Pathology 

    A lot of times I wish I spent those 6 years and money investing in real estate instead. But, who knows, I might not be who I am or be where I'm at without those 6 years in a university. There's a reason for everything.

  • Specialist · Piscataway, NJ · Member since 2016 · 65 posts · 25 votes
    9y

    BS in Chemistry.  

    Once I had the degree I got promoted into a job that had nothing to do with chemistry.

  • Rental Property Investor · Thousand Oaks, CA · Member since 2017 · 147 posts · 48 votes
    9y
    Scott Graham Currently In the Marine Corps w/about a year left. Looking to apply to UCLA and utilize my Post 9/11 benefits. I'd like to study business management, but if you guys recommend another field for pursuing RE I am all ears! JV
  • Investor · new york, NJ · Member since 2014 · 137 posts · 13 votes
    9y

    I think personality and world view is possibly more important than formal education - obviously a basic numeracy and literacy is required. but understanding the people that make up your market is important as well.

    I studied architecture worked in IT and have an MBA.

  • Investor · new york, NJ · Member since 2014 · 137 posts · 13 votes
    9y

    Scott - everyone and their dog studies business - try engineering - like maybe civil engineering.

  • Investor · Mission, TX · Member since 2017 · 220 posts · 135 votes
    9y
    Scott Graham interesting post! BS in Psychology. I think it had helped me in having an understanding of why people are the way they are. Empathy, understanding and the like.
  • Investor · Juneau, AK · Member since 2015 · 980 posts · 741 votes
    9y

    Interesting topic....

    Undergrad a general liberal arts BLA (as I changed majors a few times and just wanted out); a JD; then later a Management Master's Degree.

    These are mostly applicable to my day job (teaching) but also to real estate. For example, you have lots of communication with tenants and plenty of management issues (handling conflicts, self awareness, etc). Understanding landlord tenant rules helps, too, etc. etc.

    Maybe the odd gateway into real estate was the JD, and I used it some in a legal aid clinic working on the tenant end. I had poured tons of hours (literally hundreds) into getting someone an extra week to move out or getting back half their deposit (tons of my energy with some limited utility as I was reasonably sure the tenant would be facing more issues in the immediate future around housing and income stability)....

    So I saw with actually far less hourly work and less stress (and a more positive, non-adversarial forum) I could buy a property and house people long term as a buy and hold investor... I saw this as the highest and best use of my time--better for the tenants, society, and more profitable for me, too. Glad there are people out there in those trenches fighting those battles (the line for legal aid clinics in that central valley city in CA was out the door, down the hall, and sometimes spilling outside) but for me education led me to both a career (took a college job were my degree was required) and real estate.

    Another note... It does not end (the education part). I have probably read about four or five dozen real estate books since 2004 and am a big podcast fan. Then you find out something on BP about every time you chime in. So there is that continuing education angle that is important, too... Plus, about every tenant and tenancy teaches you something. So with about 13 years put in there, I should have a Master's or maybe Doctorate in tenant science.... (or maybe that is more an art...). Btw , some folks do really well with just that informal education and practical experience. I was lucky enough to get both....

  • Investor · Maryland Heights, MO · Member since 2016 · 55 posts · 36 votes
    9y
    I have BS degrees in Computer Science and Mathematics and am currently a software engineer. I've always been a logical person and I believe it will had/will help in real estate investing. No emotion--just analyze the numbers. Ever since joining the real world after college, I have been fascinated with investing and the magic of compounding interest. I lucked out getting in around a bottom (9/11). I'm self taught with respect to finances and have managed my own investments with success. Only recently have I decided to start in real estate with hopes of getting rid of the 9-5 job eventually. I wish I knew more about accounting and economics but I don't regret getting into the field of software engineering
  • Investor · San Jose, CA, Bellevue, WA · Member since 2016 · 327 posts · 257 votes
    9y
    BA in Economics; I called the bottom in 2011 and got into real estate thereafter
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2016 · 120 posts · 98 votes
    9y
    Bachelors degree, majored in business management and finance. Hasn't really helped much... biggest take away has been the connections and relationships built. My broker that I hold my license with I met through my coach. If i had to do it over I would but only because of being an athlete and the connections/ relationships . I also became much better at time management which i believe is essential in this type of business.
  • Investor · Somerville, MA · Member since 2016 · 150 posts · 70 votes
    9y

    BS in Accounting with a minor in Econ and Psychology

    But I'd have to say that college was more of lessons in the soft skills rather than the hard. I learned a lot from the people around me and the situations I ended up in (good or bad).

  • Mobile, AL · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    9y
    James Rodgers , ME graduate here from University of South Alabama in Mobile. I'm just learning the ropes and I'm interested in wholesaling. Would you mind contacting me through text or email? I'd love to learn anything from you. Engineering or real estate. Is there a real concern with unhiding contact information on BP?
  • Investor · Rockford, MI · Member since 2013 · 116 posts · 54 votes
    9y
    Exercise Science degree...nothing to do with getting into REI. My job(s) have allowed me enough flexibility to pursue my investing and most importantly taught me early on that other revenue paths were needed if I wanted to increase my "income" year to year. That realization has grown to now pursuing real estate in search of financial freedom. Good topic!
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.