What is your COLLEGE DEGREE IN!?

What is your COLLEGE DEGREE IN!?

Westford, MA · Member since 2016 · 113 posts · 106 votes
Hi BP! My name is Scott and I am just starting out my real estate investing venture this year. I find it to be imperative for all investors to look back on their past and understand how their formal educations have helped launched their real estate investing careers. PLEASE JOIN IN AND SHARE HOW YOUR COLLEGE DEGREE HELPED LAUNCHED YOUR REI CAREER!! I was trained to be an architect at Wentworth Institute of Technology. There I earned my Bachelors of Science in Architecture and Masters of Architecture in 2015. On top of that I earned the title of Valedictorian and an AIA National Award for Emerging Professionals. Upon graduating I had numerous offers from several prestigious design firms throughout Boston and greater New England. In my past two years I have found that working as a Young Architect provides too much stability and consistency. Personally, I enjoy the adrenaline rush of controlling my own future and destiny. Also, I love being on site studying and analyzing properties, design layouts, and creating ways to add value to homes. When people ask me "Why are you getting into real estate? I thought you are an architect?" - little do they realize that my I am using my strong understanding of design and construction and applying it to a more exciting career!
22Reply
1,476 views

Most Popular Reply

Mindy JensenPro Member
BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
9y

Like all successful real estate investors, I studied Fashion Design in college.

See this reply in the discussion

262 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Auburn, AL · Member since 2015 · 227 posts · 80 votes
    9y

    BS degree from University of South Alabama in business management, specializing in personnel mgt.  Didn't use it for a career.  M.Ed in business education at Auburn.  Didn't use it to teach.  I guess all education is useful, but educating myself in real estate seems to be paying off most of all, even though I am only 2 years in.

  • Investor · Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2016 · 75 posts · 35 votes
    9y

    Landscape Architecture. Again related though i never at the time thought my career would swing in this direction!! 

  • Developer · Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 266 posts · 110 votes
    9y

    BA in Architecture from Calpoly San Luis Obispo.  I started out working for an architecture firm which lead me to working for an Assisted Living and Independent Living communities developer here in Texas. 

  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    I have a GED! You don't need a college degree to be an investor and a lack of college debt doesn't hurt.

  • Miami, FL · Member since 2015 · 154 posts · 38 votes
    9y

    I have a degree in Busniess Managment  and A degree in Accountant..which didn't lead me to Real Estate..  

  • Westford, MA · Member since 2016 · 113 posts · 106 votes
    9y

    @David Ferrette I am sure you do not miss the all nighters in studio! And working until midnight multiple nights a week drafting away in Revit!

  • Buy and Hold Investor · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2013 · 450 posts · 270 votes
    9y

    BS in Civil Engineering from Georgia Tech. Technical background helps tremendously in analyzing properties (multifamily properties is my area of focus).

    MS in Information Science from University of Tennessee. I am a researcher by nature and was trained in how to find the right information. This is invaluable when you're searching for information.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y
    Drop out :)
  • General Contractor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 63 posts · 24 votes
    9y

    @James Rodgers War Damn Eagle! Congrats on changing jobs!

  • New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    9y
    BS Computer Science MS Applied Math UIUC
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Jacksonville, AL · Member since 2016 · 68 posts · 26 votes
    9y
    War Eagle Auburn folks! Degrees: Bachelors Psychology-Jacksonville State University Masters Social Work-that other school in Alabama :) Currently work in Education at a college. Always want to tell students that don't have a clue to go find someone that is doing what they want to do and find a way to provide value to them for a year. Then come back to school if you need the degree for that job. However, being a college, I can't run ppl away. Next best thing is encouraging undecided students to learn how to do something instead of majoring in Psychology:) We have several technical programs and I feel having a skill is valuable in life. However none of my education has really helped in RE. I would gladly ship The University of Alabama back this Masters if they would take the loans back also.
  • Rental Property Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2014 · 49 posts · 80 votes
    9y

    I have a "degree" in construction from the University of Youtube, a "degree" in real estate from the University of Bigger Pockets, and a "degree" in business administration from the school of hard knocks and experience. I did goto real estate school to get my license. Add a touch of common sense and human decency and I feel I have all I need to be moderately successful in REI.

  • Investor · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2016 · 135 posts · 42 votes
    9y

    forgot to say: biggest takeaway from college is that I love to and can learn anything I decide to.

  • Roselle, NJ · Member since 2017 · 139 posts · 71 votes
    9y

    I have a Doctorate in Pharmacy. Currently working as a pharmacy manager. As much as I love my job, I have a strong passion for real estate and I want to achieve true financial freedom

  • Realtor · Delray Beach, FL · Member since 2017 · 102 posts · 20 votes
    9y

    Computer Networking and did not use it because I was promoted into a position which earned more money but no use for my degree. 

  • Professional · Batavia, IL · Member since 2016 · 107 posts · 39 votes
    9y

    Associates in Economics

    BA double major in Finance, and Econ

    MS International Commerce and Policy

    JD focused in transactional law, and estate planning

    All of that expensive education taught me to invest in educating oneself and to find others who have blazed a path beforehand...which if you listen to a ton of BP podcasts you should be able to figure out for yourself. Of course the law, finance, and econ degrees help in other ways.

  • Real Estate Agent · Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 38 posts · 10 votes
    9y
    Scott Graham great topic for a discussion, you story really hits home, because although I do not have my degree I just applied to the local community college out here in Palm Springs, Ca. I will be working toward my associated in Architectural design and transferring hopeful to a UC or Cal State to finish up my degree. To provide some value to this post although I do not have my degree I do have my experience and education through 8 years of Active Service in the United States Coast Guard. In my time in I have developed traits such as determination, ability to learn and master anything I put my mind to, and the unwillingness to fail. These may seem like simple traits but these are traits I believe will be valuable in my REI journey.
  • Investor · Doha, Qatar · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    My qualifications have nothing to do with REI. I have medical degree and post grad degree public health !!

  • Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2015 · 346 posts · 170 votes
    9y
    My college degree is irrelevant but hey I'm going to answer the question I got my degree in finance and financial analysis but this degree didn't help me to get into real estate by any means. It was a book called choose yourself in which it made think and write down 10 ideas everyday about businesses. Several days and ideas later I found myself writing down an idea of buying properties for rent and how easy it would be to create wealth this way. After that, I educated myself about real estate and found biggerpockets. Long story short is that my degree thought me a very valuable life lesson: if you want to create wealth you need to study and apply the knowledge same as if you want to pass the exams you need to study.
  • Real Estate Agent · Placentia, CA · Member since 2014 · 13 posts · 6 votes
    9y
    BA in Criminal Justice.
  • Attorney · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 535 posts · 389 votes
    9y
    So, I graduated with a degree in criminal justice. The program offered a wide range of courses that included basic legal research, so I found a good utility in the degree. After graduation, I took a year off from school working at an appraisal management company. Then, I started law school, and that is where I am now. I just finished my first year, and I hold an interest in criminal law and real estate. I've purchased my first home on a conventional loan in a nice market area prior to law school for purposes of home maintenance, and it has been a rewarding experience so far. I'm looking forward to adding properties to the portfolio and gaining additional experiences.
  • Real Estate Agent · FL · Member since 2016 · 17 posts · 11 votes
    9y

    I graduated from Florida State University with a Bachelors in Real Estate. While there I got to learn a lot about appraisals, real estate finance, and real estate law. After college I worked in property management for a few years before joining the Army as an Engineer. In the Army I learned all aspects of construction, everything from building foundations, carpentry, plumbing, electrical, essentially ground up construction. 

    Now I'm getting out of the Army and I plan to pull together all of the skills and experiences that I have acquired to begin a successful career in Real Estate Investing. 

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    I graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with an emphasis in Hospitality & Tourism. I currently attend Georgia State University for Commercial Real Estate.  I left my former industry of 10 years as a Business Development Manager for Luxury Brand Hotels in an effort to pursue my dreams of obtaining generational wealth. It is of dire importance to leave something that can benefit others when I'm gone. The peace of mind knowing that every call I make, every file I touch (digitally or manually), every single dollar I spend is all towards building my legacy and not that of others. It will be so wonderful to achieve the position of value for my loved ones and others within my community. I used to work for hotels, now I'm in the path to owning a few.  

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    BS in Informatics, minor in Business. I'm thinking about getting a Masters in Accounting soon as well. I'm a fraud analyst for Google in the Bay Area. Analysis is fairly the same no matter what data set you're working with, so I've applied a lot of the skills I have to real estate in analyzing markets. Before Google, I was an IT consultant and a workforce management consultant which has given me confidence when talking to buyers/sellers.

    I'm fairly new to real estate though and would love to connect with anyone, but especially if you're investing in the Bay Area or Indianapolis!

  • Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2017 · 14 posts · 13 votes
    9y

    Bachelor's in Economics with emphasis in accounting! Currently a CPA and have about 4 years of auditing under my belt with 1 year of accounting consulting. Just starting out now with REI

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.