What is your COLLEGE DEGREE IN!?

What is your COLLEGE DEGREE IN!?

Westford, MA · Member since 2016 · 113 posts · 106 votes
Hi BP! My name is Scott and I am just starting out my real estate investing venture this year. I find it to be imperative for all investors to look back on their past and understand how their formal educations have helped launched their real estate investing careers. PLEASE JOIN IN AND SHARE HOW YOUR COLLEGE DEGREE HELPED LAUNCHED YOUR REI CAREER!! I was trained to be an architect at Wentworth Institute of Technology. There I earned my Bachelors of Science in Architecture and Masters of Architecture in 2015. On top of that I earned the title of Valedictorian and an AIA National Award for Emerging Professionals. Upon graduating I had numerous offers from several prestigious design firms throughout Boston and greater New England. In my past two years I have found that working as a Young Architect provides too much stability and consistency. Personally, I enjoy the adrenaline rush of controlling my own future and destiny. Also, I love being on site studying and analyzing properties, design layouts, and creating ways to add value to homes. When people ask me "Why are you getting into real estate? I thought you are an architect?" - little do they realize that my I am using my strong understanding of design and construction and applying it to a more exciting career!
22Reply
1,407 views

Most Popular Reply

Mindy JensenPro Member
BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
9y

Like all successful real estate investors, I studied Fashion Design in college.

See this reply in the discussion

262 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2017 · 11 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    Bachelors degree in environmental sccence and masters degree in environmental management and  MBA. Received a certification in geographic information systems when I was doing my  bachelors  degree and that is the  direction my profession took off. Now I am a cartographer/analyst. Spatial analysis comes in handy with  real estate for looking at spatial patterns and trends although I know the crappiest parts of the world probably better than the  United States.

  • Kyparissia, Messinia · Member since 2017 · 56 posts · 15 votes
    9y

    I have a teacher's certificate in Teaching English as a Foreign Language in Greece. Totally unrelated. I used to do private lessons. Now, I am currently retired. My husband is a hair dresser and has his own business.  

  • Real Estate Broker · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 427 votes
    9y

    I studied Electrical Engineering at the University of Washington.

  • Real Estate Agent · Quincy, MA · Member since 2015 · 144 posts · 65 votes
    9y
    I have a Bachelors degree in Finance. My second job out of college was in the finance and accounting department at one of the largest commercial real estate companies in the world. I knew my day to day job wasn't where I ultimately wanted to be, but it opened my eyes to the real estate investment piece as well as some great brokers in the industry. Now, I can analyze and break down specific investments for clients and myself. My background obtained through education, I feel, has given me a significant leg up on my competition that someone without it never would have been able to get.
  • Coppell, TX · Member since 2014 · 188 posts · 125 votes
    9y
    Bachelors of science in Electrical Engineering from University of Texas at Arlington. Worked Alcatel 18 years. Have 2 patents on DSL technology. Helped develop FiOS and Uverse technologies. Run a web development company do IT support when called upon. I run my RE business full time as the other jobs slow down. I'm a right and left brain person. Drives my wife crazy. I'm very technical and precise on designs but can also visualize redesigns and develop a plan to completion that gets quick results. Offers on flip properties. Good with architectural/graphic design and interior design.
  • Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    9y
    Good question Scott! I'm currently a Business Management major and Entrepreneurship minor at Kennesaw State University. This major will help me to do a lot of the operations managing in the beginning of my REI career and the minor will help me to navigate through the business world as an investor. This minor will also come in play for something I have in store for the coming years!
  • Mountain Top, PA · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 2 votes
    9y
    After receiving a BS in chemistry, I went to nursing school, and then on to get an MSN and I work as a nurse anesthetist. While the degrees themselves haven't helped out, my job has introduced me to like minded individuals who invest in real estate.
  • Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Bachelors Government and Economics Lamar University. Masters in Library and Information Science. Boatload of real estate classes in becoming a Broker and maintaining Broker. The best education though is street experience and learning to be a bs detector. One has to read between the lines when chatting with contractors, tenants, agents, etc. I love it! Study real estate and play chess/cards/bridge to understand angles is good too! 

  • Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    BS - Finance (CFP Program) from Virginia Tech

    MS- Finance - Northeastern University

    Wedding Planner Certificate -  Wedding Planning Institute

    Knowing the financing/accounting side has been a huge advantage, and helped us grow a lot faster, as we can easily access capital.    My fiance is a shop teacher is a high school, so he knows all the construction aspect of the rehabs, so it's been a great combo for real estate!

  • Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2016 · 232 posts · 133 votes
    9y

    I love this thread.

    My degree is in Electrical Engineering with 5 yrs of work exp. It might not have helped my directly but the process of analysis, math estimations, structure and planning has come in really handy.

  • Investor · Portsmouth, VA · Member since 2016 · 289 posts · 107 votes
    9y

    BS In computer science (w/ a math minor) from the University Of Richmomd (Virginia) 

    Only thing my degree did to influence REI is make me realize I don't want to work a desk job until I'm 60 (or 40, or 30...) . It also got me the career/money to start lol

  • Rental Property Investor · Lubbock, TX · Member since 2017 · 39 posts · 52 votes
    9y

    Masters in Finance and a JD (with TX law license).  Both degrees have helped immensely in building my companies, creating deals, analyzing deals, contracting, as well as helping others do the same.  We all know that successful real estate investors can make it HUGE with no formal education.  But it sure doesn't hurt to have it as well.  Great topic!

  • Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2015 · 125 posts · 50 votes
    9y
    Kinesiology....lol If I could go back I would have done economics or finance, something broad and relevant
  • Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 17 votes
    9y
    BS in electrical engineering from USMA. Like others I realized I didn't want to sit behind a desk.
  • Ivan BarrattBusiness Member
    Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2015 · 764 posts · 953 votes
    9y

    BS in Finance and Real Estate

    Got the bug early!

  • Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Great Question!

    BS - Electrical Engineering, MS - Computer Engineering, University of South Carolina

    MBA - University of Washington

    Degrees helped me secure a decent job with stable income stream that I could save over years to invest in Real Estate. I started it a bit late @44 but digging it all the more since I came across BP community.

  • Real Estate Investor · Mountain View, CA · Member since 2012 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    BS Electrical Engineering. Working on an MBA. Looking to get started in REI.

  • Investor · Oak Park, IL · Member since 2014 · 307 posts · 150 votes
    9y

    I have a Bachelor's Degree in Architecture from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.  I still enjoy working in the architecture field, in multo-unit new construction and renovation projects.  In the past I have allocated much of my time to acquisition, renovation, and management of residential projects.

  • Real Estate Investor · Saint Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 951 votes
    9y

    Bachelor's degree in Finance.  I had a real job for about 11 months after college using my degree.  I started an online business after that and got into real estate with the money I made there.   Haven't had much use for the degree but I enjoyed college and it was learning and maturing experience.  

  • Real Estate Broker · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    I have a degree in Urban Land Development - Real Estate Economics.  But still experience is the best degree!

  • FL · Member since 2016 · 73 posts · 58 votes
    9y

    Undergraduate degree in Finance with minors in Real Estate & Entrepreneurship

    Basically a degree tailor-made for real estate investing

    My formal education has allowed me to work for large commercial real estate investors where I have done over $500M in acquisitions in a little under two years since graduating

  • Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2017 · 119 posts · 101 votes
    9y

    BS in Computer Engineering from Cal Poly SLO

    MEng in Engineering Management from Penn State... WE ARE!!!

    I work as a Software Engineer / Systems Engineer for my 9-5 and dabble on the side with Real Estate.  I have a pretty strong Finance/Tax background as well since I worked part time during tax season for a small mom and pop shop.  The biggest thing my college education did for me was helped me analyze risk and get me VERY comfortable analyzing deals.  My excel skills are top-notch!  Being an engineer, I also very much rely on my numbers and don't let emotion sway when I analyze a deal.

    All in all, My undergrad and masters gave me a steady W2, an understanding of risk, and the ability to step back and see the larger picture of what is happening.

  • Decatur, GA · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    I never actually got my degree. It would have been in business management but I decided not to finish and never went back. I got to my senior year and dropped out to start a business. Although my business was successful, I feel I should have gone back to finish. Contrarily, I have no regrets.

  • Investor · Conesus, NY · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    Hi @Scott Graham & all,

    I received my B.A. in Psychology from the State University of New York @ Geneseo. Previous to that, I completed a 4000 hour apprenticeship to become a Certified Skilled Craft Laborer in heavy highway/road construction.

    I would say Psychology helped me to have some insight into human behavior which, of course, helps with dealing with tenants and the construction gave me the general theory of building and a "can do" attitude. Both have been indispensable. 

    Thanks for introducing the topic!

  • Wholesaler · Newark, DE · Member since 2015 · 303 posts · 80 votes
    9y
    Graduated 2013 with an Associate degree in Business Marketing. Started my Bachelors but stalled out just after getting my Associates. Trying to decide if I want to finish up in Marketing, Accounting, or Logistics. But real estate is where my journey will ultimately be.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.