Where the Heck Should I Move To? Please Help!

Where the Heck Should I Move To? Please Help!

Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes

Hi, Bigger Pockets,

I wanted to get some leads to some cities that could be ideal for me to move to and invest in. I currently live in Los Angeles and would really like to live somewhere different.

I grew up in northwestern Pennsylvania, which was a good place to grow up. We had Lake Erie to enjoy and woods to play around in as well. It’s a great place during the spring, summer and fall months.

The reason why I moved away from Erie is because I don’t like snow and dreary days (they typically run from November to March/April).

I would like to move somewhere that has the following attributes listed below. If any of y’all know of any areas or cities that has the traits, please let me know. I would be super grateful.

A place where:

-There are lots of woods—I really enjoy hiking and being outside

-I like water that has waves—so it’s near a decent-sized lake or an ocean

-Land is relatively cheap—I would like to live on a decent-sized plot of land

-It either doesn’t snow or it very rarely snows

-People are friendly

Those are the main needs. I truly hope I can find a place that suits my likes. The U.S.A. is so large it’s tough to know where to search and so I wanted to ask y’all, since Bigger Pockets users are all over America (and beyond).

Again, thank you, fellow BPers. I appreciate it very much.

3Reply
608 views

Most Popular Reply

Craig CurelopBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Post Falls, ID · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y

@Karl B. - When reading this, Florida was the first place that jumps out at me. However, if "lots of woods" is what you value the most then maybe Florida isn't for you.

Colorado meets a lot of these criteria. Though there is not much water with waves, there is TONS of wonderful hikes and people are super friendly and active. 

Sure it snows, but it does not stick. At least in the Denver area it doesn't. If you want snow, you go to the mountains. 

I have similar criteria as you and I live in Denver and am very happy. 

You also might want to consider northern CA. A few hours north of San Francisco, like Sacramento area? There are a lot of hikes, it's pretty warm, people are nice, and it's not far away from the ocean. 

See this reply in the discussion

213 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor / Wholesaler · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 667 votes
    9y

    Well, the Pensacola, FL keyword triggered me to this post and I enjoyed reading it. The gulf doesn't have big waves but since you put a lake in that statement I think it would fit the bill. Not overly mountainous  but nice forests and hiking available. Could be a good option for you, land is cheap and available in bulk outside of town a bit. Good option, check it out. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @William Allen:

    Well, the Pensacola, FL keyword triggered me to this post and I enjoyed reading it. The gulf doesn't have big waves but since you put a lake in that statement I think it would fit the bill. Not overly mountainous  but nice forests and hiking available. Could be a good option for you, land is cheap and available in bulk outside of town a bit. Good option, check it out. 

     I've never been to Pensacola but I'll definitely learn more about it. Thank you, William. 

  • Property Manager · Kihei, HI · Member since 2016 · 85 posts · 97 votes
    9y

    Here's a different suggestion - Hawaii (Big Island) 

    Inexpensive land - You can get a forested/cleared acre on the west side for not that much, 10k-30k 

    Outdoors - Entire island is a hiking spot, there's rainforests, volcanoes, deserts, and 10k ft high mountains  

    Waves - Big island doesn't have as many breaks as the other islands but its still 10x better than mainland

    Nice people - Aloha spirit

  • Investor · Joppa, MD · Member since 2017 · 11 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Have you thought about Deleware? Woods, ocean, lakes, etc.

    Land costs can be very low.

    For investments there are many developer opportunities, beach rentals, Baltimore, Philly, New Jersey are not that far. 

    Retirement taxes are favorable also.

  • Lincoln City, OR · Member since 2015 · 59 posts · 54 votes
    9y

    I am another that is saying Oregon. Did you know that all of our beaches belong to the people and that hotels and the ultra rich can not buy them? I live in Lincoln City and you can walk the full 7 miles from the north end of the city to the south end on the beach at low tide. We also have a surfing event that is now part of the International Big Wave Competition in the  Nelscott Reef Surf Competition. You can also go deep sea fishing out of Depot Bay just 7 miles from Lincoln City. Most of the city stops a National Forest which has  lots of trails. We are only 88 miles from Portland.

    If it is too rainy here you can head down the coast to Florence which is about 61 miles from Eugene, home of the Oregon Ducks. Snow does appear on the beach and even may make the road white for the day, but after 7 years here I have only seen one day that it lasted over night. The 1/2 inch stayed till noon the next day.

  • Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2013 · 13 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Most of the Southeastern US.  Virginia, N. Carolina, S. Carolina, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and even Eastern Texas.  There are so many options that fit your criteria.  The people are really friendly and laid back.  The food is also incredible.  Most of these places have a low cost of living and are within a 4-5 hour drive to the beach depending on how far inland you want to go.  Check out the beaches at Pensacola, Ft. Walton Beach, and Panama City.  They're the best in the United States in my opinion.  You won't find many waves there though, unless there is a storm in the Gulf.  If I were to move, I would probably go somewhere north of Tampa.  Good luck!

  • Investor · Berkeley, CA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 713 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Karl B.:

    Hi, Bigger Pockets,

    I wanted to get some leads to some cities that could be ideal for me to move to and invest in. I currently live in Los Angeles and would really like to live somewhere different.

    I grew up in northwestern Pennsylvania, which was a good place to grow up. We had Lake Erie to enjoy and woods to play around in as well. It’s a great place during the spring, summer and fall months.

    The reason why I moved away from Erie is because I don’t like snow and dreary days (they typically run from November to March/April).

    I would like to move somewhere that has the following attributes listed below. If any of y’all know of any areas or cities that has the traits, please let me know. I would be super grateful.

    A place where:

    -There are lots of woods—I really enjoy hiking and being outside

    -I like water that has waves—so it’s near a decent-sized lake or an ocean

    -Land is relatively cheap—I would like to live on a decent-sized plot of land

    -It either doesn’t snow or it very rarely snows

    -People are friendly

    Those are the main needs. I truly hope I can find a place that suits my likes. The U.S.A. is so large it’s tough to know where to search and so I wanted to ask y’all, since Bigger Pockets users are all over America (and beyond).

    Again, thank you, fellow BPers. I appreciate it very much.

  • Rental Property Investor · Lee County, FL · Member since 2017 · 26 posts · 17 votes
    9y

    Oregon does have some rainy/cloudy days, but that is mainly on the westside of the state. Look in to Bend, Oregon.

    It gets quite cold, but the sun is almost always shining. The people are friendly, lots of local brew pubs, lots of outdoor activities from hiking, skiing, white water rafting and great schools.

    Good luck!

  • Real Estate Agent · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    I am clearly bias, but NE Florida (Jacksonville Metro area).  In my option it offers the best balance of anywhere I have lived.  Geographically we have the ocean, intercostal, Saint John's river, Timucuan Preserve, Ocala National Forest, Beatha State Forest.  

      Average temp 70 degrees, lower in winter and hotter in the summer.  Unlike a lot of other places in Florida, we have some degree of seasons and no traffic to speak of.  We have around 300 sunny days a year. Land is cheap and plentiful by California standards.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2016 · 74 posts · 58 votes
    9y
    Karl B. - As someone who has lived in both N.E. Florida and Alabama, I would say you can't really go wrong with either. Really depends on what kind of water and what kind of woods you want. Jacksonville, Birmingham and Mobile all offer better than average investment markets with a very reasonable cost of living. Jacksonville is a great city that is continuing to grow quickly. There is a strong young professional presence, so meeting new people will be easy. You have easy access to the beach, as well as lakes, and rivers fed by springs. The woods will be more of a pine heavy mix of woods and during the summer hiking will be like walking though hell. But hotter. Topography is flat. Mobile offers a lot of similarities to Jacksonville. Beautiful beaches are not far away, however not right in Mobile. There is plenty of water for water sports, fishing, etc. the woods again will be more of a pine forest. Mobile is smaller than Jacksonville by a long shot but the people a great(in my experience). Again. It's flat. Birmingham is where I currently live. It's the largest city in Alabama and definitely the most diverse. It's growing quickly and again meeting new people is easy if you want that. Birmingham is only 4-5 hrs from Destin (some of the most beautiful beaches in America) and less than an hour from several large lakes that offer plenty of room for water sports. Alabama has one of the largest ratios of public land to people and there are enough trails in Oak Mountain State Park (20 min outside Bhm) to keep you hiking for months. Birmingham offers a hilly terrain as it's technically the foothills of the Appalachians. Best of luck in your search for the perfect location!
  • Richmond, VA · Member since 2013 · 293 posts · 96 votes
    9y

    Hi @Karl B.

    I'm going to echo @Account Closed here and recommend Richmond VA. https://www.outsideonline.com/1929066/best-river-t...

    There's a link to an article Outside magazine wrote a few years ago about Richmond and it's only getting better. The Richmond Sportsbackers organization runs a large marathon and 10k races each year that draw folks from all over the region and beyond. The food, art, music, craft beverage scenes are all flourishing as well. Come out and visit some time!

  • Investor · Jackson, MS · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 769 votes
    9y

    I'm a native of California who has been living in Mississippi for the last 17 years.  As far as a place to invest Mississippi can't be beat, but I don't really want to retire here. I bought a condo in South Lake Tahoe, CA for that purpose which is currently rented because I can't retire until these politicians decide what they are doing with Obama Care. On a whim this summer I visited Lake Almanor near Mt. Lassen in California. I was amazed at how beautiful and affordable that area is. The only thing you won't have are the waves. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Karl B.

    I'm going to plug Nashville TN in here. Job opportunities here are insane. There isn't a store front that does not have "We're hiring" out front.

    Plenty of HIGH paying career jobs as well. 

    Property prices compared to LA are dirt cheap.

    Taxes in TN compared to CA are not even comparable!

    Southern hospitality, Sweet tea, Land, Lakes, what America is all about. 

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 285 posts · 142 votes
    9y

    Perhaps the Raleigh-Durham Triangle area in North Carolina. I went to college at Duke. You've got mostly mild climate but a bit on the humid side. It has a tech industry within the area bounded by three schools - Duke, UNC Chapel Hill and NC State. Forests as far as the eyes can see. Very affordable compared to L.A. Snows maybe 1 week out of the year. Doesn't get crazy rain, though it does rain sometimes. Friendly people. Best fried chicken. Many lakes, and you're a few hours from the ocean, though I don't recall big waves ... just beached jellyfish. 

    I've been thinking about investing there if I ever decide to invest out of state. 

  • Investor · Berkeley, CA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 713 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Lee L.:

    Perhaps the Raleigh-Durham Triangle area in North Carolina. I went to college at Duke. You've got mostly mild climate but a bit on the humid side. It has a tech industry within the area bounded by three schools - Duke, UNC Chapel Hill and NC State. Forests as far as the eyes can see. Very affordable compared to L.A. Snows maybe 1 week out of the year. Doesn't get crazy rain, though it does rain sometimes. Friendly people. Best fried chicken. Many lakes, and you're a few hours from the ocean, though I don't recall big waves ... just beached jellyfish. 

    I've been thinking about investing there if I ever decide to invest out of state. 

     If you did, you would be pretty late.  Ideal timing would have been pre-2010.   Average property prices are already over the price point where you could cash flow.

    But I do like this market very much and am bullish for the long-term.

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Eric C.:
    Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:
    Originally posted by @Jon Q.:
    Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:

    If you enjoy having a high income, then the DC area offers most of what you want. Land may not be cheap, but housing when measured against our larger salaries here equates to more affordable housing than LA, NYC, Seattle, etc.

     I hear D.C. is getting pricey Russell... not true?

     While DC is one of the most expensive markets in nominal value, somewhere between 3rd and 5th most expensive depending what list you look at...when measured against the areas income, it is actually quite affordable compared to the top 10 or 15 or so cities.  In the DC area we have 10 of the richest 20 counties (top 11 if DC were a county) as by measured by median income.  Take the San Francisco metro area for instance, most expensive market in the country with a median home price at $700k, but with a median household income of around $88k versus DC area with a median home somwhere around $475k with a median household income of $93k.  DC then with a higher income and much lower price is a lot more affordable.  This pretty much is the case with all the other expensive metro areas, our higher income here (not to even mention lower energy costs) create a situation where yes our homes are expensive, but are affordable.

     The fact that the DC metro area has 10 of the 20 richest counties shows how corrupt and flawed our wasteful government is.  

     I think the high incomes have a lot more to do with the highest concentration of people with bachelors degrees, masters degrees, doctoral level degrees.  Im generally on the low end of the totem pole in my circle of friends with only a bachelors degree.  Most of my friends have advanced degrees. My wife has 2 masters degrees.   Higher educational achievement tends to correlate to higher incomes, and I think that is a big factor in our areas income, as government employees are not exactly the driving force in the areas high income.

    And lawyers....everyone is a lawyer here. Almost 8% of DC propers population are lawyers.  We have so many large law firms here that do some many varied things. Corporate law, government, international trade, patent law, sports law etc.  

  • Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2017 · 31 posts · 15 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Karl B.:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Lago Vista off Lake Travis is so beautiful!! Near Austin. Look it up....The Ocean is 3 hours away😊

     It is amazing! I looked at it and thought, that's in Texas? It looks like something out of a coastal town in North Carolina. I am amazed. Thank you so much for mentioning it to me. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2017 · 31 posts · 15 votes
    9y

    A lot of people don't know that Texas has a beautiful Hill Country with lakes. When you think of Texas, the rodeo and cowboy hats probably come to mind lol! I live in Lakeway, TX which is the other side of Lago Vista. We have more amenities and shopping here but still have the beautiful hill views and lake. I'm in heaven every time I walk out my back door. I looked at Lago Vista when I first moved to the Austin area and it's so affordable but decided against it due to work. It's not as populated. 

    Florida is nice for the beaches but to humid for me and the bugs are insane. Austin is more dry. It can be 95 and I'm still loving it outside.

    Good luck with your next move! 

  • Investor · Athens, GA · Member since 2011 · 306 posts · 156 votes
    9y

    So here are your places - - Easy choices -- In no particular order, or in exact order from Best to Great.  Athens, Georgia,  Atlanta GA, Savannah GA, Charleston, South Carolina, Nashville, Tennessee, St. Augustine, Florida, Birmingham, Alabama, Mobile AL, Asheville North Carolina, Charlotte, NC, Chapel Hill or Raleigh-Durham, NC.   Life will be great in all these places.   These areas are all close to or already near the mountains, and couple hours to the beach.  Couple hours to international airports.  Thousands of jobs created in the past and continuing.  Low prices for almost everything. Big houses on big lots.  Great universities, great pro sports(DANG FALCONSSSSS!)  Even better food, beautiful women, children that don't cry, and supreme weather.  Investing in whatever kind of real estate will work in all these areas.  

  • Real Estate Broker · MI · Member since 2014 · 594 posts · 183 votes
    9y
    Karl B. Ann Arbor, MI.....
  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Christian Cramer:

    Here's a different suggestion - Hawaii (Big Island) 

    Inexpensive land - You can get a forested/cleared acre on the west side for not that much, 10k-30k 

    Outdoors - Entire island is a hiking spot, there's rainforests, volcanoes, deserts, and 10k ft high mountains  

    Waves - Big island doesn't have as many breaks as the other islands but its still 10x better than mainland

    Nice people - Aloha spirit

     Hawaii is very nice. I will research it some more. Everyone I know who has visited there likes it a lot. Thank you for the suggestion, Christian. I appreciate it. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Jon Panuska:

    Have you thought about Deleware? Woods, ocean, lakes, etc.

    Land costs can be very low.

    For investments there are many developer opportunities, beach rentals, Baltimore, Philly, New Jersey are not that far. 

    Retirement taxes are favorable also.

     I will definitely look into Delaware. I don't know much about that area aside from the favorable tax  rate within the state. But I will definitely research it. And you're right - there are lots of areas to invest in surrounding the state. Thank you, Jon.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Karen Sanders:

    I am another that is saying Oregon. Did you know that all of our beaches belong to the people and that hotels and the ultra rich can not buy them? I live in Lincoln City and you can walk the full 7 miles from the north end of the city to the south end on the beach at low tide. We also have a surfing event that is now part of the International Big Wave Competition in the  Nelscott Reef Surf Competition. You can also go deep sea fishing out of Depot Bay just 7 miles from Lincoln City. Most of the city stops a National Forest which has  lots of trails. We are only 88 miles from Portland.

    If it is too rainy here you can head down the coast to Florence which is about 61 miles from Eugene, home of the Oregon Ducks. Snow does appear on the beach and even may make the road white for the day, but after 7 years here I have only seen one day that it lasted over night. The 1/2 inch stayed till noon the next day.

     That's awesome! Both areas look very nice. Thank you for the information - I will definitely research the area as it is beautiful. Again, thank you, Karen. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Bill Halliday:

    Most of the Southeastern US.  Virginia, N. Carolina, S. Carolina, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and even Eastern Texas.  There are so many options that fit your criteria.  The people are really friendly and laid back.  The food is also incredible.  Most of these places have a low cost of living and are within a 4-5 hour drive to the beach depending on how far inland you want to go.  Check out the beaches at Pensacola, Ft. Walton Beach, and Panama City.  They're the best in the United States in my opinion.  You won't find many waves there though, unless there is a storm in the Gulf.  If I were to move, I would probably go somewhere north of Tampa.  Good luck!

     Thank you, Bill. I appreciate it. Yes - there are so many places to choose from - it's overwhelming but also exciting. I have a lot of research and a lot of visiting to do. I am super appreciative of BP and its awesome fellow members!

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Ryan Budil:

    Oregon does have some rainy/cloudy days, but that is mainly on the westside of the state. Look in to Bend, Oregon.

    It gets quite cold, but the sun is almost always shining. The people are friendly, lots of local brew pubs, lots of outdoor activities from hiking, skiing, white water rafting and great schools.

    Good luck!

     Awesome! Thank you, Ryan. I actually don't mind cold as long as there is sun. I grew up in a town known as 'Dreary Erie' because of the fact it's often not sunny outside there. I will definitely be looking to Oregon as a possibility as there are areas that have a lot of the attributes I am looking for. Again, thank you, Sir. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.