BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
I asked this on our BiggerPockets Facebook page and have been getting some troubling responses. I thought it important to take it home to the forums to get all of your feedback. So . . .
How many real estate "guru" emails do you get per week? (please include emails from affiliates of gurus as well)
Real Estate Broker · Fort Pierce, FL · Member since 2009 · 221 posts · 95 votes
15y
I get probably 5-7 hits per day. But, I have a disposable email address I use for these websites. And, this email address has an auto-responder that advertises my business back to them. A lot of it gets bounced back, but it's my way of getting back at them.
Real Estate Investor · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2010 · 28 posts · 12 votes
15y
Josh, thanks, I am going to follow-up on your tip. Just got another spam mail that I've marked the source spam already multiple times. One other thing: My primary e-mail has "ibuyhouses" in it, ya think that may be part of the problem? Probably need to change my address name.
Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
15y
I get 7 e-mail accounts so I set a junk account for this stuff.
On the forms to get info you can just do a fictitious phone and name.
You don't want them harassing you.
On my main e-mail I get junk there is no way around it.I just go through the important e-mails and once a day click the junk to send to trash and delete the trash.
Real Estate Broker · Fort Pierce, FL · Member since 2009 · 221 posts · 95 votes
15y
I get probably 5-7 hits per day. But, I have a disposable email address I use for these websites. And, this email address has an auto-responder that advertises my business back to them. A lot of it gets bounced back, but it's my way of getting back at them.
near Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2011 · 78 posts · 33 votes
15y
Originally posted by Stan Jackson:
I get probably 5-7 hits per day. But, I have a disposable email address I use for these websites. And, this email address has an auto-responder that advertises my business back to them. A lot of it gets bounced back, but it's my way of getting back at them.
Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2011 · 72 posts · 18 votes
15y
Im a sucker for education and information so I have signed up for a lot of mailing lists and im bombarded with emails I get at least 20-25 emails a day from guru's, Montelongo, rich dad, dave lindal, chris chico, dc fawcett, Peter conti... and several more...
Lets not forget the webinar invitations that I get weekly promising some good "free information" which always ends with some thousand dollar program that promises riches in months...
Flipper · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2009 · 973 posts · 679 votes
15y
One of the things I was shown to do is use site-specific email accounts.
If you have a web server that provides an email account, you can generally specify a "general" account or some such thing, where all emails go if the user name can't be found. So if your email is [email protected], and someone spells it [email protected], you'll still get the email. The plus to this is you can give websites an email like [email protected]. Then, when you get spam, you can see specifically who sold your email, and either report them or unsubscribe. It's amazing how many sites will sell your email even when they specifically state they won't in their "privacy disclosure."
near Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2011 · 78 posts · 33 votes
15y
Originally posted by Dionte Graves:
Im a sucker for education and information so I have signed up for a lot of mailing lists and im bombarded with emails I get at least 20-25 emails a day from guru's, Montelongo, rich dad, dave lindal, chris chico, dc fawcett, Peter conti... and several more...
Lets not forget the webinar invitations that I get weekly promising some good "free information" which always ends with some thousand dollar program that promises riches in months...
I too am an info sucker, Dionte. And if it's free, my mind keeps wondering what info I might be missing by not getting it. Many times, the initial info that is sent ain't too bad. But the follow up emails rarely have anything more to offer. In the end, they are just pitching the mega-dollar courses.
Like you said, then they try to sell us with email blasts for a 1 hour webinar where we then pay (with our time) to hear their pitch. Almost have to tune out webinars now also.