Do people ever learn? (Memphis market observation).

Do people ever learn? (Memphis market observation).

Specialist · Memphis, TN · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

So brief background. I started investing in the USA around 08.  Ended up in Memphis and with the help of a great mentor really got going in that city.   It quickly became obvious that many parts of Memphis were terrible and likely to not re-gentrify. In fact more than that it was obvious that what us New Zealanders would call "white flight", meant that many areas that were either quite good or just OK were going to turn bad soon enough.

So location is super critical here in Memphis. More so than many other cities I believe.

Roll forward to late 2017 up till today.  My inbox is filled daily with deals from pretty much every wholesaler I can find operating in Memphis and these days there are a ton of them.

99% of the deals on offer are in such bad areas you wouldn't drive down the street let alone own a rental there. And these deals seem to be selling, often to out of state investors, as fast as the emails get sent out.

How can so many investors be lining up to lose money when you only have to visit somewhere like this forum to know of the issues?

And I mean serious money. I know of an investment group from down under that is currently losing a fortune having to bail out of hundreds of terrible houses in awful areas.

So I'm posting this just as a discussion point so that people may find it when they search.  The fastest way to grow a small fortune in real estate is to start with a large fortune and then invest in Memphis without expert local advice :-).

22Reply
415 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
8y
Originally posted by @Dean Letfus:

So brief background. I started investing in the USA around 08.  Ended up in Memphis and with the help of a great mentor really got going in that city.   It quickly became obvious that many parts of Memphis were terrible and likely to not re-gentrify. In fact more than that it was obvious that what us New Zealanders would call "white flight", meant that many areas that were either quite good or just OK were going to turn bad soon enough.

So location is super critical here in Memphis. More so than many other cities I believe.

Roll forward to late 2017 up till today.  My inbox is filled daily with deals from pretty much every wholesaler I can find operating in Memphis and these days there are a ton of them.

99% of the deals on offer are in such bad areas you wouldn't drive down the street let alone own a rental there. And these deals seem to be selling, often to out of state investors, as fast as the emails get sent out.

How can so many investors be lining up to lose money when you only have to visit somewhere like this forum to know of the issues?

And I mean serious money. I know of an investment group from down under that is currently losing a fortune having to bail out of hundreds of terrible houses in awful areas.

So I'm posting this just as a discussion point so that people may find it when they search.  The fastest way to grow a small fortune in real estate is to start with a large fortune and then invest in Memphis without expert local advice :-).

the absolute classic and truth in this thought process was the [post  2 or 3 weeks ago titled.

"  0 to 15 units in 12 months"

come to find out west coast person decided it was a good idea to leverage their personal residence and buy D class 400.00 a door rentals in this market.. and I don't care what market any market this is darn near financial suicide.. Now what I find very interesting and to your point is.. there were over 200 post congratulating this person and basically saying cant wait to do the same thing.. that was just incredible to me..  

See this reply in the discussion

147 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Dean Letfus:

    @Caleb Heimsoth, your post is a good example of the problem with Memphis. Zip codes are a useful guide but you can have a pocket in a bad zip that is awesome to invest in. Even 38127 has parts that are fabulous. You need always to get local input on the actual block of the actual street. I won homes where you can walk 100 meters and the whole demographic changes.
    One basic rule is never go below $800 a month rent, We don't really look at anything under $900 to $950 these days.

    @James Wachob, I agree with you mostly. I think number 4 is a complete waste of time. Especially in Memphis you are more likely to get deceived actually. Really bad areas of Memphis look awesome. Big tree lined lots with neat looking houses. But the area is a zoo. So visiting is a waste of money to me.  Just get good advice and don't get enamoured with any particular company.  I hope what you say about your deals is true, I know I rarely see an email from you that's in an area we would buy in but the bulk of your inventory probably sells before it's advertised so we may only see the marginal deals?

    @Chris Clothier, failure is far more helpful than success in my opinion. I have learned nothing from success except that it's successful. But failing your way to success is the best way to get there!
    You're right about up-sellers although I have observed many wholesalers getting much more sophisticated and dishonest, (if that's possible).  Sadly many of the larger players are now marketing the houses that are in such bad areas they cant turnkey them to people as fixer-uppers or equity deals. This has always made me mad. Why don't companies do what you guys do and just stick to decent areas.  Of course the answer is greed but it taints everybody when the big boys don't have any standards either.

    Thats fair, I’ve had multiple people tell me not to go into 38127 but I guess that doesn’t mean it’s all bad.  I like the rent example.  I have been around 750 and above.  Will likely gravitate towards 850 and above in the future.  

    The rental amount and then with good local advice from the PM makes me fairly confident on judging an area. 

  • Specialist · Memphis, TN · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Caleb Heimsoth, yes a trusted local expert is the only real solution. I have 2 people I run every address past.  I just never have a problem since I started doing that.  I think the ideal is ato find a great PM and have them vet every address. They have to manage the thing after it's bought so they have a huge vested interest in stopping you buying a lemon.

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, Austin · Member since 2018 · 246 posts · 213 votes
    8y

    Great thread and advice!  These are the types of posts every newbie needs to read.  I have seen these issues that "no one" seems to learn happen over and over with each real estate cycle.  It is unfortunate and when many lives are affected it is beyond sad.  I work with many investors and none of them have made their money this route or had the get-rich-quick mentality.  What investor likes to lose money? Why I question when someone says they are investors, especially when they are sloppy with numbers.  Real estate investment takes time and effort. 

  • Developer · LA, Nashville TN · Member since 2015 · 295 posts · 75 votes
    8y

    I've seen a lot of turnkey companies trying to sell rented rehabs in garbage areas like Cleveland where nearby homes are selling for 20k and claiming it was a cash flow cow. The distance real estate crowd is definitely saturating any market that's not in CA. Even being in Phoenix I am looking outside. I'm very cautious of putting cash into anything in this market that doesn't have a healthy margin. I am not interested in following dumb money! 

  • Specialist · Memphis, TN · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Nina Hayden, many of us have been there Nina. The problem is how can you know when you're from somewhere else. You get sent photos of a house or even go and visit it, it doesn't actually help you know the rentability of the area at all. Memphis especially almost all of it looks amazing. It's very green, most homes are brick. Once you get outside of completely blighted areas with burnouts and boards there is really no way to know what an area is like.

  • Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    8y
    @Dean Letfus I think about this quite a bit. A wholesaler from CalifornIa had a “great” 70 unit deal here in North Carolina. I went to visit the property and it is as close to condemed as you can be. Literally zero redeeming qualities and not even a good financial package. Perhaps it’s my experience but to me these remote wholesalers and those that buy from them are seedy and create no long term value. Anyway the world is full of winners and losers and I wish them the best.
  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Dean Letfus:

    So brief background. I started investing in the USA around 08.  Ended up in Memphis and with the help of a great mentor really got going in that city.   It quickly became obvious that many parts of Memphis were terrible and likely to not re-gentrify. In fact more than that it was obvious that what us New Zealanders would call "white flight", meant that many areas that were either quite good or just OK were going to turn bad soon enough.

    So location is super critical here in Memphis. More so than many other cities I believe.

    Roll forward to late 2017 up till today.  My inbox is filled daily with deals from pretty much every wholesaler I can find operating in Memphis and these days there are a ton of them.

    99% of the deals on offer are in such bad areas you wouldn't drive down the street let alone own a rental there. And these deals seem to be selling, often to out of state investors, as fast as the emails get sent out.

    How can so many investors be lining up to lose money when you only have to visit somewhere like this forum to know of the issues?

    And I mean serious money. I know of an investment group from down under that is currently losing a fortune having to bail out of hundreds of terrible houses in awful areas.

    So I'm posting this just as a discussion point so that people may find it when they search.  The fastest way to grow a small fortune in real estate is to start with a large fortune and then invest in Memphis without expert local advice :-).

    I wonder the same thing all the time. Lot's of novices and incompetent people who don't realize that buying a 30K house in the ghetto is not an investment. I also love all of the stories of their cash on cash return, which lasts for a short period of time before the house is shot up or tenants trash it. 

    I'll stick to properties that require a 100K down payment in Seattle and appreciate 50-100K a year over the 6K a year cash flow figures on the 30K houses.

  • Specialist · Memphis, TN · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jack B.:
    Originally posted by @Dean Letfus:

    So brief background. I started investing in the USA around 08.  Ended up in Memphis and with the help of a great mentor really got going in that city.   It quickly became obvious that many parts of Memphis were terrible and likely to not re-gentrify. In fact more than that it was obvious that what us New Zealanders would call "white flight", meant that many areas that were either quite good or just OK were going to turn bad soon enough.

    So location is super critical here in Memphis. More so than many other cities I believe.

    Roll forward to late 2017 up till today.  My inbox is filled daily with deals from pretty much every wholesaler I can find operating in Memphis and these days there are a ton of them.

    99% of the deals on offer are in such bad areas you wouldn't drive down the street let alone own a rental there. And these deals seem to be selling, often to out of state investors, as fast as the emails get sent out.

    How can so many investors be lining up to lose money when you only have to visit somewhere like this forum to know of the issues?

    And I mean serious money. I know of an investment group from down under that is currently losing a fortune having to bail out of hundreds of terrible houses in awful areas.

    So I'm posting this just as a discussion point so that people may find it when they search.  The fastest way to grow a small fortune in real estate is to start with a large fortune and then invest in Memphis without expert local advice :-).

    I wonder the same thing all the time. Lot's of novices and incompetent people who don't realize that buying a 30K house in the ghetto is not an investment. I also love all of the stories of their cash on cash return, which lasts for a short period of time before the house is shot up or tenants trash it. 

    I'll stick to properties that require a 100K down payment in Seattle and appreciate 50-100K a year over the 6K a year cash flow figures on the 30K houses.

    @Jack B. What I see more often in Memphis is people paying 50, 60K or more for a 20K house in a war zone OR some wholesaler saying CASHFLOW OPPORTUNITY on a house for under 15k and actually letting someone lose that much money in an area where you have zero chance of ever getting the rent collected.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2015 · 143 posts · 187 votes
    8y

    Interesting to see this recurring topic on the forums. Especially considering that Josh Dorkin built this site because he was getting clobbered as a D class property OOS landlord 20 years ago! He used to talk about it a lot more on the earlier podcasts. 

  • Specialist · Memphis, TN · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Nolan M., which goes back to my actual question. How come people don't learn. Why is there always another sucker??

  • Rental Property Investor · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2015 · 143 posts · 187 votes
    8y

    @Dean Letfus Because there's one born every minute! 

  • Specialist · Memphis, TN · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Nolan M., Touché!

  • Rental Property Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2016 · 512 posts · 374 votes
    8y

    @Dean Letfus @Jay Hinrichs

    your observations are right. i have not bought anything in memphis in last 12 months. the prices have gone up and any off market deals need 15k to 25k rehabs which are tough to manage remotely. 

    i did one flip in a great neighborhood. Made 8k in profit after one year. winners was the realtor, contractor and neighbors since our selling price improved the comps of the neigborhood. Loser was me with invested capital for one year and i could have made 19 percent parking in a S and P fund lol

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @AJ Singh:

    @Dean Letfus @Jay Hinrichs

    your observations are right. i have not bought anything in memphis in last 12 months. the prices have gone up and any off market deals need 15k to 25k rehabs which are tough to manage remotely. 

    i did one flip in a great neighborhood. Made 8k in profit after one year. winners was the realtor, contractor and neighbors since our selling price improved the comps of the neigborhood. Loser was me with invested capital for one year and i could have made 19 percent parking in a S and P fund lol

     reality is this will never stop as long as people think the way to financial freedom Is rental properties at any cost with no context to risk,  and as soon as they get 20 to 50k in their jeans they launch.. they end up in this asset by default..and of course they simply have no clue as to the struggles of being a LL in low end rentals.. believe me if I thought I could make money at it in the long run I would never have sold the 350 homes I had.. easy to buy .. but just like a boat the happiest day in my life is when that escrow closed and I walked away..  

  • Rental Property Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2016 · 512 posts · 374 votes
    8y

    @Jay Hinrichs

    real estate frenzy of today reminds me of 1999 stock market momentum investing. Every person was wanting to get involved in stock market game and is the same today as regards to real estate rentals

    roofstock is selling build to rent houses in memphis for $190kish. numbers dont make sense to me but will to first timers who will be given the logic that no mainteance for ten years but that maintenace is built in the price of the house. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @AJ Singh:

    @Jay Hinrichs

    real estate frenzy of today reminds me of 1999 stock market momentum investing. Every person was wanting to get involved in stock market game and is the same today as regards to real estate rentals

    roofstock is selling build to rent houses in memphis for $190kish. numbers dont make sense to me but will to first timers who will be given the logic that no mainteance for ten years but that maintenace is built in the price of the house. 

     2 years ago I look at these houses that James Wachomb was selling and I think they were 140k ish then so if they went up that's great. 

    I bought 12 new constructions I Mississippi for Go Zone.. all 150 to 225k.. granted they were all great rentals as rentals go.. covering the mortgage and maybe a bit.. and I spent about 2million on them over 2 years but go zone game me 500k write off each year.. so a tax saving at my bracket at the time of 200k a year that I would have to send to uncle.. remember in those days us HML were printing profits. LOL..

    Anyway.. fast forward to the last 2 years as the 179 go zone recapture caught up to normal recapture.. .. the houses never went up.. some went down.. and even though I never really had cap ex.. to sell them retail I had to do 10 to 15k of upgrades to each one and then sales cost. so some I made 20k on some I lost 20k and then recapture.. now I did save that money way back when and used it for other deals that's how I talk myself into thinking it was a smart move.. LOL.. but in reality.. cap ex just kills new construction when you go to resell. 

    especially if they are built for rental purposes your only buyers are hopefully owner occ.. ALL of mine sold to owners not renters.. and those folks are picky.. when you can get brand new for about the same dollars with new amenities what do they chose. 

    But for those that want to hold forever I can see these being cost effective.. but not if you think your going to exit.. unless there is some strong appreciation.. which the mid south does not really have or the deep south does not have..  ATL different story.

  • Specialist · Memphis, TN · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Jay Hinrichs, I think anybody buying new in Memphis has completely lost their mind. It's a market that can be as low as 75% UNDER replacement value. It's just stupid to buy new in that type of market.  It is justified on the basis of no maintenance but if you actually do a financial analysis it's bull dust.  It's just another strategy to get money out of ill informed investors.

    I can buy a house for 80k, spend 20 on it and have it like new. Get it appraised for  140K and borrow, (in my case as non resident) 70% so 98K. So house has "cost" me 2 grand and I get $1300 a month rent, which will appreciate.

    OR I could buy virtually the same house for 150K, struggle to get it to appraise for that, and have no equity.

    My first tenant may be at $1500 but after first turnover it will go to $1400, then 2 years later it will be at $1325.

    I know which one makes financial sense........

  • Rental Property Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2016 · 512 posts · 374 votes
    8y

    @Jay Hinrichs

    i appreciate your personal examples. it makes me stronger to say no to deals that dont make sense. i dont want to be owning rentals for the sake of ownership only and brag about them in social circles. its a business and needs to make financial logic for buy and hold investors like us.

    now if the market went in a stall mode, wont mind adding to portfolio if the numbers made sense again

  • Rental Property Investor · Salem, OR · Member since 2016 · 202 posts · 305 votes
    8y

    My wife and I have been remotely  investing in Memphis for about 5 years now. We have invested in some fairly tough properties but always make sure that the property is in an area that could be nice and will cost effectively rehab to be the nicest on the block. We are very careful not to over rehab for the area. We took very little cash to, and have no debt in Memphis and have snowballed cash flow into a nice portfolio. We  figure we will net 50% of gross rents over time, remember cap ex and vacancies cost money. I think by far the best lesson learned is to make good solid local connections where you will be investing. We also try to go twice a year to view our current properties and visually see what areas appear to be stabilizing and which need more help than we are willing to give. We also try to " cluster" our properties to make it easier for our property manager. Currently we are sitting on the sidelines, to much poorly  educated money headed to Memphis right now. I do however shop everyday for the next deal. This all takes time and effort, which we are willing to give for a cash flowing retirement !!

  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    Its very popular here to have as many doors as possible... As if somehow more doors means something. 

    I'd take a lower amount of better quality doors vs more doors of lower quality. Like mentioned elsewhere the less rent checks I have to chase down or emergency repairs I have to make the better...

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Dean H.:

    My wife and I have been remotely  investing in Memphis for about 5 years now. We have invested in some fairly tough properties but always make sure that the property is in an area that could be nice and will cost effectively rehab to be the nicest on the block. We are very careful not to over rehab for the area. We took very little cash to, and have no debt in Memphis and have snowballed cash flow into a nice portfolio. We  figure we will net 50% of gross rents over time, remember cap ex and vacancies cost money. I think by far the best lesson learned is to make good solid local connections where you will be investing. We also try to go twice a year to view our current properties and visually see what areas appear to be stabilizing and which need more help than we are willing to give. We also try to " cluster" our properties to make it easier for our property manager. Currently we are sitting on the sidelines, to much poorly  educated money headed to Memphis right now. I do however shop everyday for the next deal. This all takes time and effort, which we are willing to give for a cash flowing retirement !!

     No debt is the ONLY way to make these work.. keep at it. 

  • Curt DavisBusiness Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    Many reasons why investors get burned in Memphis and I am sure in other markets is that investors think by going around the turnkey model and building their own team that they will save a lot of money and get better cash flow and returns. In some cases this is true but normally only for the investor who is experienced and can come visit regularly. 

    Most investors end up buying a home using a Realtor that has a lot of deferred maintenance, maybe not the best area,etc.  

    One local wholesaler posted on facebook that he had 6 investors coming to Memphis from Brazil to buy houses from him. Knowing these wholesalers I have to ask how in the world did cash buyers from Brazil find this guy and boy do I feel sorry for them. 

    I get these homes sent to me all day long, usually same home from 5 different wholesalers and most in less than desirable areas. 

    Great topic!

    Curt Davis - KAIZEN Realty538 Reviews
  • Specialist · Memphis, TN · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Curt Davis, so true dude. Like you I literally get the same house within about 5 hours for up to 7 "wholesalers".  My favourites are the multi families or duplexes rented for $300 a door!

  • Saint Joseph, MO · Member since 2018 · 401 posts · 244 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Caleb Heimsoth:
    @Dean Letfus

    This is an interesting topic. Memphis isn’t really any different then other cities from the Midwest or other parts of the south. There are good and bad parts to invest in.

    Any of you experienced local Memphis people feel like openly sharing some of those areas? I avoid hickory hill, frayser, 38127 and orange mound as a general rule of thumb

     I remember hearing Orange Mound from a 3-6 Mafia song, I would def avoid that haha.

  • Wholesaler · North Hollywood, CA · Member since 2016 · 72 posts · 31 votes
    8y

    @Dean Letfus thanks for the post. I read a lot of the comments. So much wisdom from the veterans that commented.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.