Is St Louis MO a good place to invest?

Is St Louis MO a good place to invest?

Member since 2018 · 22 posts · 5 votes

Hello fellow BPers, I'm interested in buying a four-plex in the southwest of Saint Louis, MO in a neighborhood called Benton Park West for long term investment. I'd like to get your feedback on whether this is a good neighborhood to invest in. Property is being rehabbed and it yields great cashflow with tenants in place already. I'm mainly looking for neighborhood and market outlook feedback from investors with experience in this market. Thank you.

0Reply
31 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · StL, MO · Member since 2008 · 294 posts · 152 votes
7y

It could be. Benton Park is a solid neighborhood. Even true Benton Park West has good areas. But some people extend what I think of as Benton Park West into some questionable areas in order to make the property sound better than what it really is. 

My generic, know no specifics about the property advice for 63118 is: "63118 is where out of state investors go to die." So do your homework and trust no seller.

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2017 · 228 posts · 174 votes
    7y

    @Mario Rosales Benton Park is one of the better neighborhoods in STL city, stability wise.  In the last few years, that stability has has driven up prices to the point that finding properties with good numbers is a challenge.   If you have one that does then I would be excited for you.  If you need a 2nd pair of eyes on the project, I would be happy to help.

  • Real Estate Investor · StL, MO · Member since 2008 · 294 posts · 152 votes
    7y

    It could be. Benton Park is a solid neighborhood. Even true Benton Park West has good areas. But some people extend what I think of as Benton Park West into some questionable areas in order to make the property sound better than what it really is. 

    My generic, know no specifics about the property advice for 63118 is: "63118 is where out of state investors go to die." So do your homework and trust no seller.

  • Member since 2018 · 22 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    @Kyle Eckert. Thank you for your feedback!

  • Member since 2018 · 22 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    @Bob Hines, thank you for your input.

  • Rental Property Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    BPW can be hit and miss. @Bob Hines nailed it about about confirming the info and not trusting the sellers. 

  • Investor · Arlington, VA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 491 votes
    7y

    As an out-of-state investor in 63118, I couldn't agree more with @Bob Hines.  I've been slowly dying in parts of 63118 since 2015 lol.  Of the five properties I own, two are complete dogs.  The others actually perform quite nicely.  It's really street by street. 

    I've had a lot of success in Benton Park proper however.  Can't speak for BPW, but Fox Park looks like it may be primed to be the next Benton Park.

  • Member since 2018 · 22 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    @Tim Walsh thank you for your feedback.

  • Member since 2018 · 22 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    @Frankie Woods I appreciate your comments.

  • Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2015 · 204 posts · 37 votes
    7y

    @Mario Rosales I’m a realtor and investor in St. Louis. If you still need help, PM me

  • Rental Property Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2019 · 21 posts · 9 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Bob Hines:

    It could be. Benton Park is a solid neighborhood. Even true Benton Park West has good areas. But some people extend what I think of as Benton Park West into some questionable areas in order to make the property sound better than what it really is. 

    My generic, know no specifics about the property advice for 63118 is: "63118 is where out of state investors go to die." So do your homework and trust no seller.

    this is why i love this place... i was going to pull the trigger on a deal there.... thxs buddy.. any other recommendation along with Benton Park? 

  • Central New Jersey · Member since 2018 · 20 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    Hi all, 

    I am an out of state investor. I am looking at a MF in 63112. I came across this thread as I am researching the St Louis Market. Can you advise on the housing demand and neighborhood in / around 63112.

    Thanks,

    Prashanth

  • St. Louis, MO · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    @Frankie Woods Wait... isn’t Fox Park in 63118?? Maybe I’m wrong here...

  • Investor · Arlington, VA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 491 votes
    6y

    @Adam Dinneny yes, Fox Park straddles 63104 and 63118.

  • Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2015 · 32 posts · 18 votes
    6y

    @Prashanth Sundar. I can't comment on market demand for 63112 as I don't invest there, but generally the areas near the Wash U North Campus and south of Cabanne Ave. are the better areas. The closer you get to Forest Park, the better the neighborhood. It's a very fractured zip, the $10k homes in the far north to 7 figure homes overlooking the park. I would highly suggest visiting the area first-there is some new construction SFH along with Multi's that are basically a shell.

    The extension of the Delmar Loop East into St. Louis City proper as well as Wash U’s North Campus have kick started development in the area.  It’s definitely not a short term play but could play very well long term.  The best current neighborhoods are Skinker-Debaliviere and Debaliviere Place with the West End more up and coming.  Visitation Park, Hamilton Heights and Wells-Goodfellow have a long way to go IMO.

  • Central New Jersey · Member since 2018 · 20 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    Thank you for the insight Perron. Greatly appreciate it.

  • Rental Property Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2014 · 313 posts · 326 votes
    6y

    Definitely get input from investors on the ground. Sellers blur the lines (lie) all the time about which neighborhood the property is in and even if they're technically correct because the outline of the zip code of neighborhood that pops up on Google Maps shows the property is "in" the desirable neighborhood, there are always good and bad streets and good and bad blocks. On top of that, some buildings of older out-of-date layouts (shotgun) that are not as desirable for renters. Always consider the systems (boilers vs. furnace, window a/c vs. central air) as well. A dumpy building on the most desirable block in a place like BPW will probably have a comparable sticker price its neighbors, but you won't get near the pro forma rents. Tread carefully!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.