Seeking Recommendation on movies about real estate?

Seeking Recommendation on movies about real estate?

Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2013 · 128 posts · 7 votes

I am just watching the movie “the money pit” and I was wondering if there are other movies with a story line about real estate

0Reply
47 views

Most Popular Reply

Tacoma, WA · Member since 2010 · 203 posts · 93 votes
13y

Queen of Versailles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Queen_of_Versailles

See this reply in the discussion

43 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Tacoma, WA · Member since 2010 · 203 posts · 93 votes
    13y

    Queen of Versailles

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Queen_of_Versailles

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    13y

    "Pacific Heights" - every wannabe landlord - and in fact every practicing landlord as well - should watch this one.

  • Investor · Great Falls, VA · Member since 2012 · 17 posts · 1 vote
    13y

    Steve has the all-time number 1 above, just watched it again this weekend.

    But there are two TV shows that IMO are great.
    "Worlds worst tenants" is a "fake" show on the Spike network that depicts very real scenarios and is great for knowledge,

    and

    "The Super" is on the HDNet if you have DTV. VERY real but obviously not the greatest of situations either. Again, great for situational knowledge.

  • Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2013 · 128 posts · 7 votes
    13y

    I just watched "Pacific Heights" and it wa s a great movie.

    It shows how important it is to choose the right tenant by doing the full proccess and don't let them fool you with their nice cars or clothes.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    13y

    Great thread . . . the only one that comes to mind is The Super -- what a TERRIBLE movie! I need to catch up with some of the others above.

    Any other suggestions? There must be a ton of them!

  • Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2013 · 128 posts · 7 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Joshua Dorkin:
    Great thread . . . the only one that comes to mind is The Super -- what a TERRIBLE movie! I need to catch up with some of the others above.

    Any other suggestions? There must be a ton of them!

    Joshua

    I can think of a documentary that will fit in this list:

    Biography - Donald Trump - Master of the Deal (2003)

  • Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2013 · 128 posts · 7 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Bryan R.:
    Queen of Versailles

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Queen_of_Versailles

    interesting movie indeed.

    I never heard of David Siegel before watching this. But the name "Westgate Resorts" sounds very familiar.

  • Real Estate Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2009 · 171 posts · 46 votes
    13y

    Glengarry Glen Ross. I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet. A film about a handful of salesman and the unethical actions they take to sell real estate in order to save their jobs.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    13y

    "Tin Men" is a comedy about a couple of aluminum siding salesmen set in the 1960s.

  • Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2013 · 128 posts · 7 votes
    13y

    Does anybody know of current status of florida versailles house ?

  • Commercial Landlord · Oshkosh, WI · Member since 2013 · 299 posts · 88 votes
    13y

    Movie called: Duplex with Drew Barrymore and Ben stiller is kind of funny but I really liked pacific hieghts

  • Commercial Landlord · Oshkosh, WI · Member since 2013 · 299 posts · 88 votes
    13y

    Bill W Are those mobile homes stacked on each other? In your profile picture, I think its kind of humorous.

  • Brian BurkePro Member
    Investor · Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Alex R.:
    Does anybody know of current status of florida versailles house ?

    I read it's back under construction. The intent is to sell it, or it can still be bought unfinished at whatever stage it happens to be in.

    Great movie, especially if you were active in the real estate business in 2008 and suffered losses of your own. Anyone who did will relate to this one on some level. I hope there is a sequel.

  • Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2013 · 128 posts · 7 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Brian Burke:
    especially if you were active in the real estate business in 2008 and suffered losses of your own. Anyone who did will relate to this one on some level. I hope there is a sequel.

    I just graduated in 2008 and started working. I didn't own any property then and still don't have one even though I am planning to get my first deal soon.

    if you were in the bussiness and incurred some losses in that period, it would be interesting and helpful to share your experience with us.

    Thanks.

  • Brian BurkePro Member
    Investor · Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    13y

    I was, and I did, and I will...stay tuned to the BP Blog, it'll show up there eventually.

  • Investor · Great Falls, VA · Member since 2012 · 17 posts · 1 vote
    13y

    How could I forget to mention!!... The show that kick-started my RE adventure!!

    NEW Episodes start in 2 weeks. INCOME PROPERTY on HGTV. Canadian duplexes.

    Sorry Im stuck on TV when I think you wanted movies. My DVR is almost all flip, buy n hold, investing, ha. Im a visual guy.

  • Real Estate Investor · Hartford, CT · Member since 2011 · 222 posts · 17 votes
    13y

    "Margin Call" is a great one. It was about the collapse that happened back in 2008 involving wall st ect... Great real estate movie

    GM

  • Real Estate Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2009 · 171 posts · 46 votes
    13y

    William Bannister ha. Yes, that's a picture of a mobile home mansion in my profile.

    It's actually the set of an outdoor theatre in Amsterdam from several years ago. You can see that picture and another that's not as tight so you can see some of the crowd here:

  • Real Estate Investor · Woodlands, Manitoba · Member since 2011 · 46 posts · 11 votes
    13y

    There's also the "Inside Job" which explores how changes in the policy environment and banking practices helped create the recent financial crisis.

  • Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2013 · 128 posts · 7 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by John C:

    NEW Episodes start in 2 weeks. Canadian duplexes.

    Sorry Im stuck on TV when I think you wanted movies. My DVR is almost all flip, buy n hold, investing, ha. Im a visual guy.

    TV shows can be helpful and sometimes give good ideas too.

    Actually I just watched one episode of INCOME PROPERTY on HGTV and found it quite interesting.

    Any other TV shows that you recommend ?

  • David NilesBusiness Member
    Property Manager · DeLand FL · Member since 2012 · 860 posts · 243 votes
    13y

    I have been meaning to sit down with the wife and watch Queens of Versailles for along time now, this thread may be the reminder I need to finally do it.

    The TV shows.....meh, IMO they are mainly all too much drama, either every wall is falling down and things are exploding or they make it all seem so easy your just cashing checks.

  • Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2013 · 128 posts · 7 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by David Niles:

    The TV shows.....meh, IMO they are mainly all too much drama, either every wall is falling down and things are exploding or they make it all seem so easy your just cashing checks.

    That’s because the main goal of TV shows is attracting viewers and selling commercials and being on either extreme ends, serves this purpose well.

    Unfortunately to educate the viewers and be informative comes second when making a TV program, with few exceptions of course.

  • Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    I was reading some of these posts and had never heard of Queen of Versailles or Margin Call. I went on Netflix and they have both available. FYI, you can get Netflix free for a month.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    13y

    Not to mention that "Income Property" is more like "how to turn your total loser property into less of a loser" ...

  • David NilesBusiness Member
    Property Manager · DeLand FL · Member since 2012 · 860 posts · 243 votes
    13y

    I guess some of this is why I watch more PBS then cable.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.