What age did you start investing?

What age did you start investing?

Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2020 · 77 posts · 71 votes

Obviously, there is no correct answer. Some investors have the freedom to start when they are in college/a young adult while others decide to invest closer to retirement. 

With that being said, at what age did YOU begin to invest?

17Reply
614 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · Matthews, NC · Member since 2019 · 198 posts · 239 votes
6y

My husband and I just started flipping last year. (He is 60 and I am 58).  Never too late!  We love it!!!

See this reply in the discussion

138 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 24 votes
    6y

    @Bonnie Rhodes

    I bought my first property at the age of 19. I lived in it for 3 years, and then I bought another property and rented out the first one. In my opinion, this is the easiest way to acquire properties early on if you don’t have a lot of startup capital. It also allows you to finance the investment property with better rates too!

  • Vacaville, CA · Member since 2019 · 218 posts · 140 votes
    6y

    @Bonnie Rhodes my husband and I were 35.

  • Rental Property Investor · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2017 · 37 posts · 18 votes
    6y

    @Bonnie Rhodes

    I bought my first rental when I was 19. I now have two rentals and a primary residence ( now 23) that will be rented out in a year or so. All of this was doable because I joined the military. Just start when you can.

  • Investor · Ann Arbor, MI · Member since 2013 · 178 posts · 225 votes
    6y

    In 2002 I purchased a 5 unit when I was 19 in Ypsilanti, MI across from the Eastern Michigan University Business School.  I still own it today. 

  • Jesus RomanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2020 · 175 posts · 75 votes
    6y

    @Bonnie Rhodes 22! Just purchased my first home which I am currently house hacking with two other roommates here in Houston!

  • Property Manager · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2020 · 80 posts · 41 votes
    6y

    The good news I'm seeing from this post is that it is never too late to start investing in property, it all depends on when the timing is best for you. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 107 posts · 129 votes
    6y

    @Tony Rodriguez  I just finished (& wrote a post) my first deal after listening to podcasts/studying on BP for about 2 years.    
     I took a 401k loan against an old employer's plan. I was able to take 50% of the current value and repay it over 60 months (max). In my case that was about $37k. I'm repaying myself back each month with interest.  I setup automatic withdrawls from my bank paying back into Fidelity.

    I used this 37k 'seed money' when qualifying for my commercial loan. My commercial loan covered 75% purchase + all rehab. The 37k was my 25% down payment, plus other startup costs. My tenant is now paying back my 401k loan and mortgage payment each month. This is working great.  After 60 months, my cash flow will go up significantly.

    I never did a withdrawl from a 401k. Therefore I didn't pay any taxes or take the 10% early withdrawl penalty.

  • Rental Property Investor · centervill in · Member since 2019 · 86 posts · 49 votes
    6y

    @Bonnie Rhodes

    I live in Israel and failed trying me to buy my first apartment 18 years old in a missile Target city.

    (yes War missiles it's Israel, not US)

    At 23 2 apartments in Israel.

    Then flipped for a couple of years Apartments.

    At 30 bought my first few rentals in Cincinnati oh

  • Champaign, IL · Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    @Bonnie Rhodes

    Didn’t invest into a retirement account until I was 27. Able to max out my retirement account and HSA at 29. Starting to read about real estate now that I’m 30 and hoping to get my first rental property(ies) at 31 .

  • Rental Property Investor · Woodbridge, VA · Member since 2015 · 75 posts · 68 votes
    6y

    @Bonnie Rhodes

    I started with index funds in college and bought my first property when I was 23. It is important to note that while I learned a lot I did not make much money on the first property I bought, but I am still learning so much!

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 1 vote
    5y

    I started at 23, having saved my college internship money and not blowing it on spring break trips, and closed on a single family home in 2014 in MA. Been a constant learning experience since, from a basement flood to renovations and 3 tenants, and taught me the power of real estate firsthand. And, still learning to this day!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Phoenix Arizona · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 686 votes
    5y

    Had a duplex and two houses by 22.    First deal was 17 all in Utah.  Dad did most of my first deal!!!

  • Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    @Bonnie Rhodes

    I recently just made my first purchase on 9/25 at the age of 22. Cash flows 500$ a month on top of my W2 income. Was on the fence due to covid but found a deal I couldn’t pass up and jumped in head first

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.