What age did you start investing?

What age did you start investing?

Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2020 · 77 posts · 71 votes

Obviously, there is no correct answer. Some investors have the freedom to start when they are in college/a young adult while others decide to invest closer to retirement. 

With that being said, at what age did YOU begin to invest?

17Reply
621 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · Matthews, NC · Member since 2019 · 198 posts · 239 votes
6y

My husband and I just started flipping last year. (He is 60 and I am 58).  Never too late!  We love it!!!

See this reply in the discussion

138 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Bonnie Rhodes

    34 and it was last year... now 2 flats, with objective to buy 2 next year. And as everybody says.... I wish I would have done it earlier...

  • Jimmy MozingoPro Member
    Investor · Eastern Shore of Virginia · Member since 2020 · 45 posts · 12 votes
    6y

    @Bonnie Rhodes about to close on our 1st house hack at 57.

  • Real Estate Agent · Tewksbury, MA · Member since 2020 · 494 posts · 284 votes
    6y

    @Bonnie Rhodes

    I opened my Fidelity brokerage account when I turned 18, and just got pre qualified this week at 20 and will be buying soon! :)

  • Realtor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    I started investing in stocks and cryptocurrency at 18 which lead me to a job working for a crypto currency mining company. Once the cryptocurrency market lost its hype I realized it wasn’t for me.

    I then began investing in real estate at the age of 20 ( still am 20) have one solid buy and hold and well as a few flips under my belt. I am my own general contractor and realtor. Making things pretty quick and easy when it comes to buying and selling in a market we have today.

  • Marc RiceBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Bonnie Rhodes bought my first at 22, started in real estate when I was 21 helping investors

    Marc Rice | Investor Friendly Agent at Reafco Tailwind Team574 Reviews
  • Contractor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2016 · 142 posts · 52 votes
    6y

    I started at 18, bought two deals, then lost 30k on the third one (at 19) got way in over my head. Have since learned and kept on down that bath! 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Phoenix Arizona · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 686 votes
    6y

    My it’s deal was 17.

    ( under the radar).

    Invested $1500. Worked on a 5 Plex up on East bench of SLC, Utah by University of Utah.

    Put about 30 hours of cleanup and paint work and sold it for a $1500 profit.

    I was the punk teenager that just made $50 an hour ( back in 1975).

    Real estate agents made each about $2200 in commissions!

    Kind of made me mad!!’

    Not anymore!

    Go get it newbie!

  • Rental Property Investor · Souderton, PA · Member since 2020 · 124 posts · 106 votes
    6y

    @Bonnie Rhodes Bought and lived in first triplex at 22. Just closed on a duplex where I am living now at 23.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Longmeadow, MA · Member since 2019 · 154 posts · 64 votes
    6y

    My father had the family invested at day 1 in stocks and commercial real estate.  But on my own endeavor, stocks at 18 and real estate at 24 (unintentional brrr) and pure rental at 32... my specialty has always been white collar type investments, so pure rentals aren't my forte...but who can complain when you make out like a bandit in the stock market.

  • Rental Property Investor · Spanaway, WA · Member since 2016 · 82 posts · 41 votes
    6y

    I began renting out my first home after getting married at age 26. My wife and I decided to live in her home and rent mine. When I was offered a job out of the area, we rented her home and bought another. 3 years after that, we purchased a 4th home to live in and rented our 3rd. In 2018, 7 years after getting married, we bought our first investment property (house #5), and we were closing next month on another (house #6).

  • Real Estate Agent · West Hartford, CT · Member since 2016 · 449 posts · 476 votes
    6y

    @Bonnie Rhodes age 23 bought my first duplex....house hack. 4 years and 12 doors later I haven't looked back! Closing on 15 doors soon. All it takes is a property or 2 to springboard you to the next. Best wishes to you! Let me know if I can be of any help. 

  • Investor · Alameda, CA · Member since 2016 · 132 posts · 170 votes
    6y

    Started at 30. Talk to investors every week who started at a broad range of ages. It runs the gamut. It was incredible hearing the story of a lifelong GC who decided to start investing after working on other peoples houses for 40 years. It’s never too late.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mission Viejo, CA · Member since 2014 · 230 posts · 113 votes
    6y

    59.  I think us Boomers truly have an advantage starting later in life!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Tyler, TX · Member since 2019 · 58 posts · 41 votes
    6y

    @Bonnie Rhodes I started investing in lemonade stands when I was 9.

    Then I flipped marijuana in Middle School and ran illegal gambling in the high school bathrooms. Then I got right with God and went legit.

    Dropped out at age 16 to work full time and started saving.

    Started my own business at 20 and saved up a capital of 10k. Used it to flip cars, trucks, and RVs until I had enough to buy a house all cash at age 26.

    Continuing to live by simple principles like buy low and sell high, I am 35 now with 400k and I keep my capital growing through flips.

    I’d like to hit a million by 40.

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2020 · 1 post · 1 vote
    6y

    @Bonnie Rhodes

    Just turned 42. Been dabbling in the stock merely a little. Haven’t officially invested in a property yet, but I’m investing my time to learn so when the time is right I’ll be ready!

  • Investor · Dallas, GA · Member since 2016 · 59 posts · 57 votes
    6y

    @Bonnie Rhodes - started investing in traditional retirement accounts at 22; I’m 46 now. This is my 3rd year in real estate and I’m closing on my 5th property in 2 weeks.

  • Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    Does anyone know a good real estate attorney from New Mexico.

  • Rental Property Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Stephen Predmore

    Hey Stephen! I’m just getting into investing, wondering if you could share with me how you went about using your old 401k to fund some of your investments. I too have just a small amount from a previous employer 401k that I haven’t yet moved but was curious if and how I could use that to help me in real estate. Any tips, info or advice you have would be appreciated!

    Thanks,

    Tony

  • Investor · San Diego · Member since 2020 · 29 posts · 35 votes
    6y

    17

  • Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2015 · 346 posts · 170 votes
    6y

    @Bonnie Rhodes

    Bought my first fourplex when I was 29 in Phoenix. 4 years later I still have it and is now worth around 2X what I paid for.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Member since 2018 · 99 posts · 50 votes
    6y

    @Bonnie Rhodes 

    I started investing in college because I read Rich Dad Poor Dad which changed the whole way I thought about money and introduced me to the real estate investing world. I'd encourage to start at whatever age you are and learn and invest in yourself to become the best investor possible and to ultimately add value to others.

  • Real Estate Broker · NE · Member since 2020 · 21 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    @Bonnie Rhodes bought my first single family home at 35. Up to 16 units now, and about to double that in next few months

  • Member since 2010 · 210 posts · 158 votes
    6y

    investing 24.  Investing in real estate 30

  • Realtor · Wake County, NC · Member since 2019 · 77 posts · 60 votes
    6y

    @Bonnie Rhodes keeping my fingers crossed as I am closing on my very first deal in just a few short weeks! I'm 23, fresh out of a college and found a deal on the MLS out of all places!

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    24 for my primary residence and just closed on a triplex for my first rental at 26!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.