What age did you start investing?

What age did you start investing?

Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2020 · 77 posts · 71 votes

Obviously, there is no correct answer. Some investors have the freedom to start when they are in college/a young adult while others decide to invest closer to retirement. 

With that being said, at what age did YOU begin to invest?

17Reply
604 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · Matthews, NC · Member since 2019 · 198 posts · 239 votes
6y

My husband and I just started flipping last year. (He is 60 and I am 58).  Never too late!  We love it!!!

See this reply in the discussion

138 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 380 posts · 588 votes
    6y

    23 out of state! 

  • Real Estate Agent · Colorado | stan.store/JamesCarlson · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    Love this thread. My wife, Erin, and I didn't buy our first place until we were in our early 30s. Even then, in 2015, we heard over and over that the Denver market was "in a bubble" and was "too hot." We got a small 1br condo for $188,000. Five years later, that condo just appraised at $305,000. We've since bought other primary residences and investment properties in Denver and Colorado Springs. 

    Yes, it's good to get in super early. (I love working with the young house hacking types in Denver and Colorado Springs because it's fun to think how well-off they will be by the time they reach the age at which I first bought.) But unless you're in your 70s, it seems like it's never too late to get into real estate. 

  • Investor · Durango, CO · Member since 2019 · 33 posts · 4 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Isaac Johnson:

    @Shane Brooks looking back, was college worth it?

     Yes 100%, I came out of college with zero debt and it has allowed me to maintain a great W-2 job to stay bankable while building my portfolio.

  • Real Estate Agent · Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 630 posts · 303 votes
    6y

    I am a Realtor in Tampa Florida. I purchased my first rental home at 30. It was before I was an agent. Then I decided to get my license and start flipping. I used the BRRRR method before I even knew about it from here. I used my cash from the Refi to invest as a partner in a flip. And, as they say....the rest is history!

  • Rental Property Investor · Bow, NH · Member since 2016 · 216 posts · 185 votes
    6y

    I'm 32 with my first investment property under contract.

  • Realtor · Member since 2020 · 19 posts · 22 votes
    6y

    I did my first house hack at 19, but my dad was the co-buyer a came with all the cash and I only got a 10% profit kicker.  I didn't have very strong negotiating skills back then.  

  • Investor · Blackwood, NJ · Member since 2015 · 91 posts · 36 votes
    6y

    started investing in real estate at 41

  • Rental Property Investor · Westminster, MD · Member since 2014 · 165 posts · 221 votes
    6y

    @Bonnie Rhodes

    Bought first rental at 30, now 3 years later have 5 for a total of 10 units. Goal is 25 units by 35!

  • Portland, OR · Member since 2020 · 11 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    Thanks @Rachel! And never too young!  I love this process of real estate investing and business development, starting and running businesses.  I'd developed Alzheimer homes, was member of educational committee LA Alzheimer Association,  produced and hosted weekly cable program,  had an editorial column in major seniors magazine in SoCa. Million dollars annual revenue. Leaving that behind, I'm building a more turn-key operation which at first will take some momentum to build.  Game on! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 476 posts · 294 votes
    6y

    Pretty cool how many folks started in trading/stocks/similar.

    I started trading futures when I was 21 and traded up until I was 27.  Below is what I used to stare at all night (I worked 60+hrs a week during the day, slept when I could and traded the London session at night)



    After six years, I still wasn't very profitable and emotionally sick of the +/- $2500+ daily swings so I spent a day flying from out of country to Toledo, Ohio to have some beers with @Andrew Fidler (highly recommended) and didn't leave before putting a few offers in.

    It's hard to believe that was actually seven years ago.  Real estate has been good to me and I hit what I considered financial freedom at 30.  Everything afterwards has been gravy.  Wish I would had started earlier but glad I started when I did.

    When in doubt, jump in and take action, keep an open mind and keep pushing.

  • Riverton, UT · Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    I'm about to start in the upcoming months. I'm in my 40's so let's trash the idea about old dogs and new tricks - if you're holding the treat of financial freedom, I'll jump through the hoop. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Overbrook Hills, PA · Member since 2019 · 84 posts · 26 votes
    6y

    @Bonnie Rhodes 51

  • Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2020 · 77 posts · 71 votes
    6y

    Thanks everyone for the responses. Like I stated in an earlier comment, there is not a "right" age to investing. No two people's circumstances are the same, and I am a firm believer that everything does happen in the right timing. 

    For a couple of people who have asked about my investments personally, I started investing in CDs when I got my first job in college. It is not the most rewarding, but it was something I KNEW I could make a return on with a little amount invested.

    I am currently an agent in Tennessee and I work with a brokerage that specializes in selling distressed properties. My goal is to buy my first investment property next year. For now, I am soaking up all of the knowledge I can and making as many connections as possible! I love to help others meet their personal investment goals and it motivates me to do the same. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Hampton, VA · Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    @Bonnie Rhodes I was 24 and my fiancée was 20!

  • Specialist · Plano, TX · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 861 votes
    6y

    I have know of people who began their investing journey as early as 18. Like you said, there's no right or wrong answer. As soon as you are and you find a good deal, go for it. I purchased my first home at 24. 

  • Investor · Merrillville, IN · Member since 2020 · 27 posts · 15 votes
    6y

    Though we have not yet closed one deal professionally we’ve started so we officially are beginning our investment career at the ripe young ages of 43 & 45!

  • Real Estate Agent · Salem, MA · Member since 2014 · 114 posts · 78 votes
    6y

    @Bonnie Rhodes

    Closed on my first rental property the day after my 26th birthday

  • Investor · Herndon · Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    It’s inspiring and humbling to read all these awesome responses.

    I started buying real estate right out of college, as a teacher, with my primary and 75K of student debt. In December 2013 I purchased my first rental property and over 20 houses later I’m still teaching but I’m financially independent. I’m very happy with my every growing family and I’m closing on two new SFHs this month. 

  • Investor · East Ridge, TN · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    My wife and I bought our first duplex three years ago at age 34. We've had a rough start but its paying for its own mortgage payment and next month it will be paying for most of ours too!

  • Investor · Davie, FL · Member since 2019 · 92 posts · 53 votes
    6y

    I bought my first property at 21. It was a duplex and I was able to pay about 500$ per month to cover my monthly expenses. Now I am 41 asking myself why I did not commit and keep building my portfolio. I did end up with about 3 properties I currently own but am about to put some fire behind my investing before its too late. Time to execute! 

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2019 · 54 posts · 53 votes
    6y

    @Bonnie Rhodes. Started with a Roth IRA at 18. Started 401K and bought a townhome this year (age 21). This is just the beginning!

  • Investor · Woodland Hills, UT · Member since 2016 · 84 posts · 31 votes
    6y

    Bought my first house at 23 as a house hack and broke even and was hooked from the start in 2010!!

  • Rental Property Investor · Manchester, NH · Member since 2019 · 186 posts · 156 votes
    6y

    @Bonnie Rhodes I bought my first two family at age 25. I didn’t do much for years as my then wife was against it. At 39 finally divorced and ready to go full bore promising it will be different I jumped in with both feet! This time I’m doing it how I want to do it. On my timeline and at my risk tolerance! 23 months in with 13 units I’m feeling proud and getting things done!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2020 · 758 posts · 285 votes
    6y

    When it comes to flipping houses, I started 4 years ago. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Newport News, VA · Member since 2016 · 128 posts · 54 votes
    6y

    @Bonnie Rhodes at 25. Wife is 31 and I’m about to turn 33 next month. She left her 9-5 last December and I resigned from mine July of this year. Love real estate! Oh, and we also Have 3 kids under 5. Lol

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.