What age did you start investing?

117 Replies

Bought a Bed & Breakfast at 21 and then some multi families a few years later. My partner took us to the cleaner on the multi families so we made him buy us out and purchased a single family that we flipped a few years later. Bought a separate Bed & Breakfast and sold the first. Ten years later put current B&B on the market and bought a duplex that I’m house hacking and am selling B&B. Looking for that next deal currently. Since I began working outside the B&B’s 8 years ago I have always participated in employer retirement fund match and have my own RothIRA.

Alecia

Age 28 by buying a turnkey condo in cash sight unseen in Cincinnati , OH from a turnkey company based in Toledo, OH.  Less than a year later, I'm at 7 units total all in Cincinnati, OH.

@Gwen Fyfe no worries. The hard lessons are included in the game rules. For business and life. Those are the things that make you stronger and better. Just know that things will always happen.

So prepare not for the if but for the when, as the next curve ball is already on its way. Just be as prepared as you can be.

It sounds like you got this ;-)

Stock market at 22, REI at 33, self-made millionnaire by 35, doesn't feel like a big deal and looking forward to $10MM.

@Bonnie Rhodes

Started investing at 22. Active trader, won some, lost some. Stopped about a year ago. What stopped me is a 29k winning trade. It made me realize, even if I get 100k trades it would still not change my life. I still need to work. There’s a lot of stress/ pressure and work/ research that goes into trading. It kinda consumes you and is a full

time job. Not what I wanted.

Started REI ~ 1 year ago and now at 6 doors. Used most of my profits from trading to buy small multis. In the process of slowly building towards financial independence.

Thanks

Bernard

Im 31 years old and am just getting started. Iv yet to purchase a property, but iv invested my time and effort in to acquiring my rral esate licence plus reading every book i can and also every podcast on bigger pockets. Just trying to build my creidit back up and get my name out there

@Bonnie Rhodes I started investing about two years ago when I was 22. I opened a 401k as soon as I could with my employer and then from there that sort of sparked my interest for financial literacy wanting to learn the ins and outs. So I began teaching myself everything there is to know about credit, IRA's, Stocks, Bonds, Options and Crypto. I now have a 401k, Roth, a dividend portfolio and 2 other individual broker accounts (one to sell covered call options and another through a robo advisor account) I'll be reallocating and securing some capital this spring to purchase my first house-hack! I'm just trying to play it smart and get what I can out of the market before I complete roll over into real estate. Haha frugality and aggressive savings have been my two best pals!

Originally posted by @Juan Alvarez :

@Taylor L. Wow I stared with stocks and bonds at 22 and currently in the process at acquiring my first property. I’m 26.

I bet like me you're telling yourself "Damn, I should have done this when I was 22!"

I bought my first fixer upper at the age of 30...after a couple of years looking and always finding a reason NOT to buy, I finally took the leap. Two years later and I'm just on my 2nd property, but looking to increase that pace over the next 3 years by age 35!

@Anjali LeBoeuf A few years out of college, I started finding deals for other real estate investors by bird dogging and then wholesaling single-family homes. I was pretty young. It was a lot of work. And I learned a lot through my experiences. I'd say, you're never too old to start. The important thing is that you know what you want and how to get it. Then, you just have to put it all into action. Create a plan. And execute. Sure, you'll make mistakes. But you'll learn a lot along the way. So you can adjust. And eventually find your way to success. Everyone has a different path. And it's not the same for everyone else! 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you