What age did you start investing?

What age did you start investing?

Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2020 · 77 posts · 71 votes

Obviously, there is no correct answer. Some investors have the freedom to start when they are in college/a young adult while others decide to invest closer to retirement. 

With that being said, at what age did YOU begin to invest?

17Reply
613 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · Matthews, NC · Member since 2019 · 198 posts · 239 votes
6y

My husband and I just started flipping last year. (He is 60 and I am 58).  Never too late!  We love it!!!

See this reply in the discussion

138 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2018 · 13 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    First at 19 second at 20 and still plenty of time left!

  • Real Estate Agent · Arlington, TX · Member since 2019 · 47 posts · 64 votes
    6y

    @Bonnie Rhodes I began this year, at age 24. Bought my first property in June! Currently looking for my next deal!

  • Investor · Springfield, MA · Member since 2010 · 276 posts · 84 votes
    6y

    I started investing in Real Estate when I was 16.

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2020 · 32 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    @Bonnie Rhodes

    Real estate-42 hopefully I can grow quickly

  • Livermore, CA · Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @Bonnie Rhodes I closed my first single family home May of this year, finished the rehab and got a tenant in as of the 1st this month! Starting working towards this at 17 and executed at 20.

  • Dixon, IL · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    @Bonnie Rhodes bought my first duplex two years ago at 28. Goal to buy one possibly two by the end of the year.

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2019 · 212 posts · 149 votes
    6y

    Age 28 by buying a turnkey condo in cash sight unseen in Cincinnati , OH from a turnkey company based in Toledo, OH.  Less than a year later, I'm at 7 units total all in Cincinnati, OH.

  • Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2015 · 485 posts · 384 votes
    6y

    @Isaac Johnson not a penny.

  • Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2015 · 485 posts · 384 votes
    6y

    @Isaac Johnson find an investing partner that will put up some of the cash for leverage to reach your goals faster.

  • Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2018 · 117 posts · 16 votes
    6y

    @Taylor L. Wow I stared with stocks and bonds at 22 and currently in the process at acquiring my first property. I’m 26.

  • Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2015 · 485 posts · 384 votes
    6y

    @Gwen Fyfe no worries. The hard lessons are included in the game rules. For business and life. Those are the things that make you stronger and better. Just know that things will always happen.

    So prepare not for the if but for the when, as the next curve ball is already on its way. Just be as prepared as you can be.

    It sounds like you got this ;-)

  • Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2015 · 485 posts · 384 votes
    6y

    @Danielle Angelo come to Europe and study for free.

  • Realtor · South Florida · Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    This year at 33 years young.

  • Mark S.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · KY · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 537 votes
    6y

    Stock market at 22, REI at 33, self-made millionnaire by 35, doesn't feel like a big deal and looking forward to $10MM.

  • Member since 2020 · 1 post · 1 vote
    6y

    I've started at the age of 26 with my friend. 

  • Investor · Lakewood Ranch, FL · Member since 2019 · 72 posts · 47 votes
    6y

    @Bonnie Rhodes

    Started investing at 22. Active trader, won some, lost some. Stopped about a year ago. What stopped me is a 29k winning trade. It made me realize, even if I get 100k trades it would still not change my life. I still need to work. There’s a lot of stress/ pressure and work/ research that goes into trading. It kinda consumes you and is a full

    time job. Not what I wanted.

    Started REI ~ 1 year ago and now at 6 doors. Used most of my profits from trading to buy small multis. In the process of slowly building towards financial independence.

    Thanks

    Bernard

  • Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    Im 31 years old and am just getting started. Iv yet to purchase a property, but iv invested my time and effort in to acquiring my rral esate licence plus reading every book i can and also every podcast on bigger pockets. Just trying to build my creidit back up and get my name out there

  • Property Manager · High point, NC · Member since 2017 · 52 posts · 21 votes
    6y

    Started at 21 with zero idea what was going on. Got out and learned everything I could. Came back at 25 with the knowledge and everything went so much smoother.

  • Investor · Holt, MI · Member since 2020 · 33 posts · 19 votes
    6y

    @Bonnie Rhodes I started investing about two years ago when I was 22. I opened a 401k as soon as I could with my employer and then from there that sort of sparked my interest for financial literacy wanting to learn the ins and outs. So I began teaching myself everything there is to know about credit, IRA's, Stocks, Bonds, Options and Crypto. I now have a 401k, Roth, a dividend portfolio and 2 other individual broker accounts (one to sell covered call options and another through a robo advisor account) I'll be reallocating and securing some capital this spring to purchase my first house-hack! I'm just trying to play it smart and get what I can out of the market before I complete roll over into real estate. Haha frugality and aggressive savings have been my two best pals!

  • Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2019 · 433 posts · 743 votes
    6y

    Just bought my first investment property last December - 26 years old. Had a small IRA and my 401k outside of those. Closing on my second property on Monday!

  • Rental Property Investor · RVA · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Juan Alvarez:

    @Taylor L. Wow I stared with stocks and bonds at 22 and currently in the process at acquiring my first property. I’m 26.

     I bet like me you're telling yourself "Damn, I should have done this when I was 22!"

  • Rental Property Investor · Effingham, IL · Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    I bought my first fixer upper at the age of 30...after a couple of years looking and always finding a reason NOT to buy, I finally took the leap. Two years later and I'm just on my 2nd property, but looking to increase that pace over the next 3 years by age 35!

  • New to Real Estate · Tasmania · Member since 2020 · 29 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    I'm starting now a week ago (at 26). I haven't really started investing yet... I'm just reading/listening to lots of books, listening to podcasts etc.

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Anjali LeBoeuf A few years out of college, I started finding deals for other real estate investors by bird dogging and then wholesaling single-family homes. I was pretty young. It was a lot of work. And I learned a lot through my experiences. I'd say, you're never too old to start. The important thing is that you know what you want and how to get it. Then, you just have to put it all into action. Create a plan. And execute. Sure, you'll make mistakes. But you'll learn a lot along the way. So you can adjust. And eventually find your way to success. Everyone has a different path. And it's not the same for everyone else! 

  • Investor · Palm Beach County, FL · Member since 2019 · 370 posts · 330 votes
    6y

    @Bonnie Rhodes

    My girlfriend and I both started at 26 and I am very jealous of everyone starting in their early 20s. Good for you guys!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.