How would you invest $60,000?

How would you invest $60,000?

Real Estate Agent · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2020 · 471 posts · 462 votes

I am in the midwest, I refinanced my house and pulled some cash out, I am curious how some of you would go about investing it in real estate (or other means).

5Reply
121 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Petaluma, CA · Member since 2018 · 203 posts · 164 votes
6y

It really depends on your goals and experience level. You could split the $60k up into multiple down payments, or you could buy something all cash and do some rehab and cash out refi again down the road. You could also buy something semi turn key all cash and just sit on the cash flow.

Numerous ways to go about it and each one will have different outcomes, but you should start with your end goal in mind and work backwards

See this reply in the discussion

39 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Petaluma, CA · Member since 2018 · 203 posts · 164 votes
    6y

    It really depends on your goals and experience level. You could split the $60k up into multiple down payments, or you could buy something all cash and do some rehab and cash out refi again down the road. You could also buy something semi turn key all cash and just sit on the cash flow.

    Numerous ways to go about it and each one will have different outcomes, but you should start with your end goal in mind and work backwards

  • Real Estate Agent · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2020 · 471 posts · 462 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Michael Albaum:

    It really depends on your goals and experience level. You could split the $60k up into multiple down payments, or you could buy something all cash and do some rehab and cash out refi again down the road. You could also buy something semi turn key all cash and just sit on the cash flow.

    Numerous ways to go about it and each one will have different outcomes, but you should start with your end goal in mind and work backwards

    I was actually curious how YOU would invest it personally, to hear different ideas and strategies that people are using. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Petaluma, CA · Member since 2018 · 203 posts · 164 votes
    6y

    Ah got it! Thanks for clarifying!

    I'd buy a property that qualified for financing that needed cosmetic work, fix it up with the leftover cash and then refi down the road...a standard BRRRR

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Buy a house hack using a 3-5% downpayment and invest the remainder of the money before doing it again next year. 

    You could invest the remainder in real estate, stocks, bonds, be a private lender, whatever suits you best. Besides the house hack it's like Michael said, it depends on your experience level and goals. 

    Are you focused on generating more passive income, do you want to self-manage property or hand it over to a management company, investment horizon, comfort level with other investment vehicles, etc. Putting the money in an index fund is very passive, easy, and safe although I think the money would be put to better use in real estate using leverage and taking advantage of lower interest rates.

  • Real Estate Agent · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2020 · 471 posts · 462 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Michael Albaum:

    Ah got it! Thanks for clarifying!

    I'd buy a property that qualified for financing that needed cosmetic work, fix it up with the leftover cash and then refi down the road...a standard BRRRR

    Nice! Is there a particular reason you would pay cash to fix it up rather than say get a construction loan and retain some more cash? To keep your debt down and potentially have more cash flow? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Petaluma, CA · Member since 2018 · 203 posts · 164 votes
    6y

    Yes to keep the debt down and maximize cash flow. Construction loans are typically expensive and a real pain in the butt in my personal experience. All cash just allows you to move more quickly with so much less red tape.

  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    If it was me down payment on a MFH

  • Investor · Leander, TX · Member since 2016 · 299 posts · 402 votes
    6y

    Buy a note.

  • Scott WolfPro Member
    Lender · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 958 votes
    6y

    @Forrest Faulconer, I'd invest in a syndication.

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 29 posts · 25 votes
    6y

    @Forrest Faulconer

    I'm working with 60k and I am going to own 4-6 SFR. Just did my first one for <12k cash out of pocket. Do the math and that lands me about 5 properties. Each cash flowing at 10-20% (I could get higher cash flow but I'm going for high equity capture instead). With 60k I could make about $1000/month no problem. I would then take that 12k I get per year and invest that every year and acquire one more property until I get to 10 properties. After 10 properties lenders won't lend a conventional loan so I might sell all 10 via 1031 exchange and get into a multi family passive deal. With the passive deal I would then repeat buying more single family homes because after selling all 10 the lenders will then allow me to refinance to conventional loans again. That whole cycle would take me about 5 years but my net worth would triple (180k) by year 5.

    As you can see, 60k can snowball very quickly so jump in and find SFH that need about 20-30k in rehabs. That amount of rehab usually gets me about 70% equity capture. My first deal was 300% equity capture.

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 523 posts · 476 votes
    6y

    Find the best syndicator I could who will take $50K, and have him or her put it to work. Put the rest into an index fund. 

    Although, if you're talking about the Midwest, I suppose you could buy a run down house or heck, even a small multifamily, for cash, well under market, and fix it up and do a BRRRR. I'd still go with the syndication personally, but if you have stuff in your local market where you can put this money to work on your own, awesome.

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Forrest Faulconer since you asked, personally I would buy another Vacation Rental.

  • Lender · United States · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 499 votes
    6y

    Not enough for a decent MFH depending on your market. I'd probably use it to flip a home. Aim to make 30%. Turn the $60k into around $80k, then take the $80k and buy a $400k MFH.

  • Real Estate Agent · Winston Salem, NC · Member since 2014 · 486 posts · 303 votes
    6y

    @Forrest Faulconer down payment on multi family. That’s my goal now. Having a tough time finding one that works but I’m actively searching.

  • Real Estate Agent · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2020 · 471 posts · 462 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Buy a note.

    Hmm that's interesting! Would you buy a note on a property and then look for someone to seller finance to? Thanks for your post!

    Forrest

  • Real Estate Agent · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2020 · 471 posts · 462 votes
    6y

    @Ben Lapane, love it man! With 12k out of pocket, what did your deal look like? 20% down with a construction loan wrapped up in it? I am thinking a similar path, 2-4 SFH or 1 MFH. However several people on this thread have brought up syndications which has got me thinking..

  • Real Estate Agent · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2020 · 471 posts · 462 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Caleb Brown:

    If it was me down payment on a MFH

    I am thinking something similar! Take advantage of having a lump sum of cash because most loans require 25% down for a MFH. 20% down on a SFH is much more attainable in the future.

  • Real Estate Agent · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2020 · 471 posts · 462 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Scott Wolf:

    @Forrest Faulconer, I'd invest in a syndication.

    Any particular syndications you look for? What terms do you find favorable?

  • Real Estate Agent · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2020 · 471 posts · 462 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jaquetta T Ragland:

    @Forrest Faulconer down payment on multi family. That’s my goal now. Having a tough time finding one that works but I’m actively searching.

    Nice! I am thinking something similar, they are definitely harder to find, but I am sure you will find one if you keep at it! Good luck!

  • Investor · Leander, TX · Member since 2016 · 299 posts · 402 votes
    6y

    I would look for a pre existing performing (good payment history) note from a bank or CU or a web company platform that services this niche.

    Basically just become the bank and take over the collection of the loan.

    Just be aware that the forbearance period is trending upward in 2020 where people can file for extensions up to 12 months on making payments, so like anything else when investing, there are risks.

  • Scott WolfPro Member
    Lender · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 958 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Forrest Faulconer:
    Originally posted by @Scott Wolf:

    @Forrest Faulconer, I'd invest in a syndication.

    Any particular syndications you look for? What terms do you find favorable?

    I look for multi-family, industrial or data center deals.  For most, you need to be an accredited investor.  I also look at the syndicators track record, and references. As for deal specifics, I like a 8% return with at least a 2x equity multiple and a favorable waterfall (at least 70/30 hopefully better).

  • I​nvestor & Agent · Tulsa, OK · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Forrest Faulconer

    I’d recycle it over and over again until it doubled tripled etc via quality Brrrr deals.

  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 589 posts · 251 votes
    6y

    Lots of great advice on here but really it comes down to what you want out of real estate. Can be stretched to leverage or dumped into for equity. Numerous ways to go with that amount. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Camano Island, WA · Member since 2020 · 10 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    @Forrest Faulconer I'd say BRRRR, but it's completely dependent on your skill set and strategy. There are a million versions of a BRRRR, we finance properties and then sell them in to syndication to get our capital back and recycle. No matter what you decide, go with a strategy for multiplication of capital like you described. 👊🏻 Good luck with it!

  • Real Estate Broker · Salt Lake City & Oklahoma City · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    I'd put it in Gold, take an Equity Line Of Credit on the gold, buy a house, BRRRR it, bury the gold in the basement, then burn it down.

    #win-win-win!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.