Best Place to Start Your Real Estate Journey?

Best Place to Start Your Real Estate Journey?

VT · Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 4 votes

I'm not tied to any place in particular, but I definitely want to start investing in real estate. My job is in Vermont, but there doesn't seem to be any good entry level deals here for me. Does anyone have any advice for me? Which markets are best to be a land lord in?

1Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 380 posts · 588 votes
5y

@Aemon Gariety have you given Ohio any thought? There are tons of out of state investors who take advantage of the low entry level deals in the buckeye state. 

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Plano, TX · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 861 votes
    5y

    Be sure to do market research on the top markets to invest in for this year. This will also vary depending on the type of investment you are after. For example, SFH or multifamily. @Aemon Gariety

  • Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 380 posts · 588 votes
    5y

    @Aemon Gariety have you given Ohio any thought? There are tons of out of state investors who take advantage of the low entry level deals in the buckeye state. 

  • Marc RiceBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Aemon Gariety

    You can make it work being a landlord in any state but some have less barriers to entry. That’s why I love Columbus, Ohio where you can find homes starting at $50k (in C neighborhoods) that cash flow strong. Wherever you invest it’s important to build your local team of agents, property managers, contractors, and lenders.

    Marc Rice | Investor Friendly Agent at Reafco Tailwind Team574 Reviews
  • Brandon SturgillBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Aemon Gariety What are you looking to accomplish...what are the basics? Asset type, class, condition, location??? You can find comparable deals in almost any Midwest city, but if you go out of state work on your team. And make sure the market has a very bright economic outlook on the horizon with proven growth to date. 

    Realize Multifamily Group11 Review
    View Page
  • Rental Property Investor · Blacklick, OH · Member since 2016 · 286 posts · 253 votes
    5y

    @Aemon Gariety Checkout this article on best landlord states 

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Aemon Gariety:

    I'm not tied to any place in particular, but I definitely want to start investing in real estate. My job is in Vermont, but there doesn't seem to be any good entry level deals here for me. Does anyone have any advice for me? Which markets are best to be a land lord in?

    I recommend you read this article on OOS investing. It explains the importance of creating your core four. You will need to get a local, rockstar Realtor, contractor, lender, and property manager.

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/blog/core-four-real-estate-team

    Columbus, Ohio has seen a rapid growth in jobs and population. I recommend you look into this market first.

  • Realtor · Napa, CA · Member since 2018 · 112 posts · 77 votes
    5y

    @Aemon Gariety, it all depends on what type of home you want, what kind of equity you are looking for (strictly cash flow or appreciation or both!), and overall how much money you'd like to spend. I would read David Greene's book Out of State investing (which @Remington Lyman is referring to Greene's article for the core 4). I would also highly recommend getting a PRO membership because then you can watch the webinar on picking a market as well as using the calculators to analyze deals (trust me, you will analyze A LOT of deals). Columbus (as the Reafco guys have said) is a great market with both cash flow and appreciation. But don't take anyone's word for it, analyze it and figure out if it will work for you. 

    Good luck and don't be afraid to connect with people here! 

  • VT · Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    Thank you everyone for your input and support! It seems like everyone pretty much agrees that Columbus, Ohio is the move right now. I'm definitely going to take today and read that book.

    I think from what I've seen, I'd prefer single family homes. But I'm pretty sure multifamily homes is going to see more growth for me starting out, especially since I could move into one myself and only pay 3% - 5% down.

    Finding a realtor, a loan officer, a contractor, and a property manager sounds like its going to take some trial and error. Are there any suggestions on what I should be looking for? Obviously they should reply quickly when I need something and they should be reliable. Is there anything else I should be looking for?

    Doing your first deal is really really nerve racking. I keep questioning if I've run the numbers correctly, or worrying about the risk associated with buying your first home incorrectly. I can see how having a mentor in real estate can be the difference in being really successful or having a really bad experience and getting out of the game completely.

  • Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 254 posts · 228 votes
    5y

    @Aemon Gariety why don't you look into markets in New York which is right next to your state, like Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse? 

  • VT · Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    @Noah Chappell

    I think im worried about the laws in these areas. I would hate to get in a situation where the law would prohibit me from doing what I might need to do in order to keep making profits. Don't get me wrong, everything looks a lot cheaper than in Vermont, but if I have to sit on a mortgage payment while not making income early on in the game, it could put me in a really bad position.

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2020 · 94 posts · 161 votes
    5y

    @Aemon Gariety, Not sure I'd turn a blind eye on a market just because of laws that are becoming a little less landlord favorable. In my own attempt to run from laws I have discovered more and more states seem to be slowly adopting them. 

  • VT · Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    @Brett McManus

    I guess im just trying to be cautious. This is my first time, after all, and I'd really hate to mess it up on my first go.

  • Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    @Aemon Gariety we would be happy to offer any help we can here at JZ Homes. We specialize in investment properties for local and out of state investors in the Rochester /Buffalo markets both as real estate agents and with property management as well. Feel free to reach out any time (585)719-7295.

  • Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 254 posts · 228 votes
    5y

    @Aemon Gariety I agree with @Brett McManus, I think it's really just about learning the rules of the game, and being the best player. There are winners in every market. In my mind proximity to the property, at least in the beginning trumps local laws, but that's up to your preferences. If you're really wanting to go towards the most landlord friendly states only, maybe look up Clayton Morris' YouTube video explaining which states these are. 

  • VT · Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    @Noah Chappell

    I'll definitely be watching that video today.

    I just saw in my market today that a single family home is available with the potential for a lot of equity. But it would require a lot of work to fix up. Should I be looking into something like that if I wanted to buy more homes in the very near future?

  • Member since 2020 · 21 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    Buffalo has reasonable prices for homes and many forecast that the city will be blooming within the next few years so now is the time to buy. 

    You could reach out to @Matthew Irish-Jones (https://irishjonesrealty.com/) his company is basically a one-stop shop for out of state investors who want to invest in Buffalo. He's really great and is super active on BiggerPockets!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.