Add into a 401k or keep that money in your paycheck?

Add into a 401k or keep that money in your paycheck?

Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2020 · 27 posts · 12 votes

Hi,

I have not bought my first investment property yet, but my goal is to own multiple houses and hopefully purchase a house every year.  I just recently got a new job that gives really good benefits and match my 401k 100%. In any of your experiences is it better to put a certain amount away per week into a 401k or is it just better to keep that money in your paycheck every week? Ideally, I want to retire before age 65 so I am leaning towards not putting any money in, but would love to hear all of your opinions! 

1Reply
51 views

Most Popular Reply

Jonathan StyerBusiness Member
Real Estate Broker · Columbus, OH · Member since 2018 · 330 posts · 396 votes
5y

Congrats on the new job! Not a CPA but the usual advice is take the 100% match, it's free money so what you're really asking is should I choose to take a raise? Any additional funds use for investments that are a little more "liquid".

Styer Real Estate Professionals4.941 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jonathan StyerBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Columbus, OH · Member since 2018 · 330 posts · 396 votes
    5y

    Congrats on the new job! Not a CPA but the usual advice is take the 100% match, it's free money so what you're really asking is should I choose to take a raise? Any additional funds use for investments that are a little more "liquid".

    Styer Real Estate Professionals4.941 Reviews
  • Real Estate Broker · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 872 votes
    5y

    I set money aside because I know if I won't then I'll just hold onto it in my bank account and lose money to inflation. I think it also depends on the price point you're buying at. If you're going to buy a 200,000 property, 100 per week won't add up fast enough for your down payment, but if you were buying a 50,000 like the ones we have here in Toledo, then you could make the argument that you should rack up the downpayment now.

    I personally think its smart to save, but it all depends on your timeline. Let me know if I can help :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Brooke Park Drive · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    A house will give you 20% return? The match 100% return, personally I’d take the greatest match possible.

  • Real Estate Agent · Boise, ID · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 888 votes
    5y

    @Michelle Paulsen Me personally I would always do the amount up to 100% match, and then after that, I would only add until you reach a number you think will be enough to grow at a reasonable rate for when you retire. Some base this on doubling every 7 years. Once I had the number in my 401k I wanted I just did the match and everything else went towards investing and building a bridge account (one to bridge expenses from retirement until you can get 401k type accounts). 

    Hope that helps. Everyone has a different situation, and situations change so as long as you are doing something about it you are on the right path!

  • Property Manager / Licensed Realtor · Toledo/Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 244 posts · 262 votes
    5y

    Hey @Michelle Paulsen So many helpful suggestions already mentioned.  I agree with @Account Closed, whichever has the best return is the one you should go in on.  If the property is in a greatly appreciating area you might be competitive but ultimately, I would sit on the 401K and put as much as I can for at least a year, that way you can double your return, and then start looking at properties.  This should also give the market enough time to stop being so competitive and start a little bit of a healthier return when prices start to come down.  I hope this helps, message me if you have other questions!

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2020 · 27 posts · 12 votes
    5y

    @Jonathan Styer thank you! And I appreciate your feedback!

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2020 · 27 posts · 12 votes
    5y

    @Chris Davidson thank you!! I appreciate this

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2020 · 27 posts · 12 votes
    5y

    @Stephen Brown thank you, you made some great points!

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2020 · 27 posts · 12 votes
    5y

    @Mike Mocek really appreciate that, thank you!

  • Investor · Valparaiso, IN · Member since 2015 · 84 posts · 47 votes
    5y

    @Michelle Paulsen You state "I want to retire before age 65 so I am leaning towards not putting money in"
    On the contrary, the single best way to ensure that retirement at 65 is to contribute to the 401k.

    I don't know your W2 income nor your age, but lets suppose: $40,000 (modest income) and 25 years old.

    Lets suppose a very modest 2% annual raise.

    Lets suppose NO match from your employer.

    At 65 you will have an income of $88,000/year.

    BUT you will have over $3.5 million in the "bank" (10% annual return) and could retire with a retirement income of $285,000/year.

    Additionally, you could retire at 51 and replace your income (that would be $67K at the time.)

    You can adjust for your current starting salary but the ratios remain the same.

    By the way, I am NOT saying don't invest in real estate.  Nor am I saying you couldn't get there faster in real estate.  I am simply addressing your stated desire to retire at 65 - and this is the most fool proof way to get there.

  • Matthew Irish-JonesBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Michelle Paulsen. If you are getting a match you can’t beat free money.

    Once you build up a decent portfolio you can borrow from your 401K and pay interest to yourself, best of both worlds.

    Irish Jones Realty4.947 Reviews
    View Page
  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2021 · 335 posts · 193 votes
    5y

    @Michelle Paulsen

    I keep my investment philosophy simple, but feel free to align with your financial advisor for final opinion.

    I would max out all tax deferred options first like 401k, Roth IRA, etc. Then, any excess cash, you save and start building your alternative bucket of portfolio like rental properties.

    I'm probably not your normal BP user here, and only started dabbling on real estate after tried and true conventional finance folks wisdom was completed (emergency fund, 401k, HSA, Roth IRA etc) were maxed out before I throw money into real estate.

    Others here will probably disagree with me though, but the tax deferred growth is what I love most.

  • Investor · Youngstown, OH · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    I have been funneling all my extra cash into my student loans while the interest is at 0%. I don't care about the match; it's like $1,400 a year after full vestment, which is like 5 years and I have no idea if I'll still be there in 5 years. I can make an extra $1,400 a year pretty easily. I don't care about interest rates on other debts or returns or anything like that; I'm sick of throwing away $400+ a month, and I'm not doing it for the next 30 years. I'm fed up with flushing a huge chunk of money down the toilet every month.

    If I didn't have student loan debt, I'd contribute only what it takes to get the full match until my 401K hits $100k since you can't borrow more than $50k from it. 

  • Bill HamptonBusiness Member
    Accredited Investment Fiduciary, AIF®, Financial Planner, Tax Strategist, Real Estate Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 977 votes
    5y

    Michelle, 

    I recommend that you speak with a Fee-only Financial Planner that understands real estate investing to discuss your situation.

    If your company's 401k matches your contributions, then you should definitely contribute enough to get the match. It's free money.

    If your 401k allows loans, then your money is not tied up and you could take a loan for a down payment on a property.

    If 401k does not allow loans, you still may want to contribute so you are not putting all your eggs into the real estate investing basket.

    Again, I recommend that you speak with a financial advisor that understands and/or invests in real estate.

    Good luck and let me know if I can be of assistance.

    Hampton Tax and Financial Services LLC4.7106 Reviews
  • Investor · Rowlett, TX · Member since 2013 · 132 posts · 72 votes
    5y

    @Michelle Paulsen

    I’m not a big fan of the 401k. The fees over time eat away at your gains which is something a lot of people don’t understand somehow. This is a long discussion but the simple fact is that there are other better avenues to put your money pre and post tax.

    However, any free match must be taken advantage of. It’s free money after all! But I would not put a dime over what is matched. In your case it’s 100%. So that settles that.

    For everyone else though, there are better ways to grow your money than a 401k. I'd rather do an IRA such as a Roth or traditional.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.