Broker relationships with commercial lenders

Broker relationships with commercial lenders

Member since 2024 · 3 posts · 1 vote

Hi everyone, I'm wondering how to find lenders to broker commercial real estate loans to. I don't mean residential DSCR or other non-qm type loans but rather loans for office buildings, stipmalls, owner occupied SBA loans, etc... It doesn't seem like you can find lenders online that advertise wholesale lending for commercial like on the residential side. I appreciate any direction I can get on here or if anyone has specific lenders that you have experience with that I can reach out to.

1Reply
71 views

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Chandler, AZ · Member since 2023 · 88 posts · 48 votes
    2y

    Hey @Jake Healy, it all comes down to networking. I focus primarily on residential but have the ability to work on commercial deals as well (broker here). I've closed 3, so definitely not the most experienced on the Commercial Side, but in my experience a lot of these Commercial Lenders want to see a Personal Financial Statement. Assets go a long way, and the deal itself has to make sense (i.e. buying a strip mall, what will the rents be? Is there a positive DSCR etc.).

    That being said, I'm curious to see what @Josiah W. can do with the 0% interest lines of credit. Any generic details you can share for us all @Josiah W.?

  • Member since 2024 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    2y
    Quote from @Tyler Warrick:

    Hey @Jake Healy, it all comes down to networking. I focus primarily on residential but have the ability to work on commercial deals as well (broker here). I've closed 3, so definitely not the most experienced on the Commercial Side, but in my experience a lot of these Commercial Lenders want to see a Personal Financial Statement. Assets go a long way, and the deal itself has to make sense (i.e. buying a strip mall, what will the rents be? Is there a positive DSCR etc.).

    That being said, I'm curious to see what @Josiah W. can do with the 0% interest lines of credit. Any generic details you can share for us all @Josiah W.?


     Any chance you are willing to share what lenders you brokered the commerical loans to?

  • Lender · Chandler, AZ · Member since 2023 · 88 posts · 48 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jake Healy:
    Quote from @Tyler Warrick:

    Hey @Jake Healy, it all comes down to networking. I focus primarily on residential but have the ability to work on commercial deals as well (broker here). I've closed 3, so definitely not the most experienced on the Commercial Side, but in my experience a lot of these Commercial Lenders want to see a Personal Financial Statement. Assets go a long way, and the deal itself has to make sense (i.e. buying a strip mall, what will the rents be? Is there a positive DSCR etc.).

    That being said, I'm curious to see what @Josiah W. can do with the 0% interest lines of credit. Any generic details you can share for us all @Josiah W.?


     Any chance you are willing to share what lenders you brokered the commerical loans to?


     I have 7 that I can go through. What type of financing are you looking for/what does the deal look like? I know you mentioned office builds, strip malls and owner occupied SBA Loans. Additionally where are you looking (state)?

  • Scott WolfPro Member
    Lender · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 957 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jake Healy:

    Hi everyone, I'm wondering how to find lenders to broker commercial real estate loans to. I don't mean residential DSCR or other non-qm type loans but rather loans for office buildings, stipmalls, owner occupied SBA loans, etc... It doesn't seem like you can find lenders online that advertise wholesale lending for commercial like on the residential side. I appreciate any direction I can get on here or if anyone has specific lenders that you have experience with that I can reach out to.


     Your best bet is to find a commercial broker and form a referral relationship with him.  I send my guy and make 20% from the introduction. 

  • Lender · Irvine CA · Member since 2019 · 71 posts · 22 votes
    2y

    Hello Jake,

    SBA contact took me over to 2 years to develop. I was doing Hard money for Gas Stations and strip malls. I also developed conventional commercial.  It was not easy. Keep trying and you will find them.  I do brokered splits deals.  If you ever have a commercial deal to do connect with me and I am fair on the splits.  I can do Industrial office mix use hotels and churches.  

    I am working on getting financing for land but that has been my weak spot. 

    For two year I had to do broker splits with other brokers until I got my own relationships developed. 

  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940 · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 319 votes
    2y

    Hey ! so for pure commercial the 30 year fixed market is slim . Bridge loans for upto 24 months are more readily available for those property types 

  • Jared RineBusiness Member
    Lender · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 277 votes
    2y

    @Jake Healy You got some solid responses on your posting so far but just figured I'd add mine to the mix. Most in the industry say you shouldn't do both, but I do both residential and commercial and have a good mixture of commercial lenders, but those relationships have been developed over years of contact + deals.  When I started, I had a mentor who would help me broker those deals because he had a lot more experience.  

    I don't know if you have a full pipeline of deals or something, but unless you have a ton of volume of solid CRE deals, most lenders are not just going to be available or out there the way residential lenders are because of the different types of lenders, and then the subset of focus from each of those lenders (there are many lenders that play in the same sandbox but don't have the same appetites). Sometimes to this day if I have a CRE deal that I know will work but I don't have the relationship in pocket, I'll bang the phones until I find the right lender - banks/CU's/calling lenders I do have and asking for referrals/etc. It can take a while. Just my $0.02

    Jared Rine United Lending Partners53 Reviews
    View Page
  • Erik EstradaBusiness Member
    Lender · Member since 2022 · 6k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jake Healy:

    Hi everyone, I'm wondering how to find lenders to broker commercial real estate loans to. I don't mean residential DSCR or other non-qm type loans but rather loans for office buildings, stipmalls, owner occupied SBA loans, etc... It doesn't seem like you can find lenders online that advertise wholesale lending for commercial like on the residential side. I appreciate any direction I can get on here or if anyone has specific lenders that you have experience with that I can reach out to.


     You just need to have a deal and work relentlessly to find the right lender. I also frequently ask other brokers in this space and exchange lenders so we both grow our networks. Have a power circle and you will do well. 

    LuxePrivate Investments LLC 572 Reviews
  • Investor · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2019 · 339 posts · 126 votes
    2y

    We broker as well and have a massive network we have built. Its better to niche

  • Lender · MD · Member since 2024 · 30 posts · 10 votes
    2y

    I ran the banking relationship department for a national debt brokerage. I have hundreds of relationships across the country. I can probably help point you in the right direction

  • Robin SimonBusiness Member
    Lender · Austin, TX · Member since 2022 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y

    I've had a lot of trouble with them at least in the residential space but I would suggest the Commercial directory at Scotsman Guide

  • Lender · Member since 2022 · 441 posts · 134 votes
    2y

    Happy to help with these loan types!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.