What do Money Partners look for in a deal?

What do Money Partners look for in a deal?

Rental Property Investor · St George, UT · Member since 2018 · 75 posts · 31 votes

If you are a PML or Money Partner, what do you look for when someone brings you a "deal"?

Is it Cash Flow, Cap Rate, COC, all three or something else?

If it's cash flow, what is the target amount? 

If its COC return, what is the target?

I understand everyone looks for something different in a deal. But I want to set some parameters when I analysis a property based on  your feedback, so when I find a deal its more appealing when I present it to a PML or Money Partner. 

Thanks in advance! 

0Reply
34 views

Most Popular Reply

Dave MeyerPro Member
Head of Real Estate Investing at BiggerPockets · Seattle, WA · Member since 2015 · 224 posts · 826 votes
2y

@Dominic Richardson Per the other input, I think we need more info. 

First and foremost, are you talking about private debt? Or private equity financing? That will change the answers a lot. And as @Robin Simon, stated what type of deal is this? 

Generally speaking in partnerships, and in all investments, people are looking for the best risk-adjusted returns. So if you're buying a stabilized cash flowing asset, the returns you'd have to offer a PML would be lower. If you're doing a risky flip, the return requirements will be higher. 

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Robin SimonBusiness Member
    Lender · Austin, TX · Member since 2022 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y

    Probably need more information, especially regarding type of real estate investment because its going to definitely differ dramatically, some thoughts:

    -If its for a rehab "Fix and flip" - definitely more about value, experience, timeline

    -You are mentioning more about rental property metrics - if so, is this SFR or small residential or commercial? Cap Rates really don't apply to residential so drivers are going to be much more about credit and value - if commercial, its a whole different thing - more about cap rate cash flow metrics etc

  • Dave MeyerPro Member
    Head of Real Estate Investing at BiggerPockets · Seattle, WA · Member since 2015 · 224 posts · 826 votes
    2y

    @Dominic Richardson Per the other input, I think we need more info. 

    First and foremost, are you talking about private debt? Or private equity financing? That will change the answers a lot. And as @Robin Simon, stated what type of deal is this? 

    Generally speaking in partnerships, and in all investments, people are looking for the best risk-adjusted returns. So if you're buying a stabilized cash flowing asset, the returns you'd have to offer a PML would be lower. If you're doing a risky flip, the return requirements will be higher. 

  • Rental Property Investor · North Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    @Dominic Richardson

    Private money lenders typically want a property with great potential and an LTV that secures their principal.

  • Rental Property Investor · St George, UT · Member since 2018 · 75 posts · 31 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Dominic Richardson:

    If you are a PML or Money Partner, what do you look for when someone brings you a "deal"?

    Is it Cash Flow, Cap Rate, COC, all three or something else?

    If it's cash flow, what is the target amount? 

    If its COC return, what is the target?

    I understand everyone looks for something different in a deal. But I want to set some parameters when I analysis a property based on  your feedback, so when I find a deal its more appealing when I present it to a PML or Money Partner. 

    Thanks in advance! 


    To be more specific; long hold multi-family rental properties (duplex, triplex or fourplex). 

    What COC% would one be looking for? 10%, 20% .. I get the higher the better.

  • Rental Property Investor · St George, UT · Member since 2018 · 75 posts · 31 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Robin Simon:

    Probably need more information, especially regarding type of real estate investment because its going to definitely differ dramatically, some thoughts:

    -If its for a rehab "Fix and flip" - definitely more about value, experience, timeline

    -You are mentioning more about rental property metrics - if so, is this SFR or small residential or commercial? Cap Rates really don't apply to residential so drivers are going to be much more about credit and value - if commercial, its a whole different thing - more about cap rate cash flow metrics etc


    To be more specific; long hold multi-family rental properties (duplex, triplex or fourplex).

    What COC% would one be looking for? 10%, 20% .. I get the higher the better.
  • Rental Property Investor · St George, UT · Member since 2018 · 75 posts · 31 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Dave Meyer:

    @Dominic Richardson Per the other input, I think we need more info. 

    First and foremost, are you talking about private debt? Or private equity financing? That will change the answers a lot. And as @Robin Simon, stated what type of deal is this? 

    Generally speaking in partnerships, and in all investments, people are looking for the best risk-adjusted returns. So if you're buying a stabilized cash flowing asset, the returns you'd have to offer a PML would be lower. If you're doing a risky flip, the return requirements will be higher. 


    To be more specific; long hold multi-family rental properties (duplex, triplex or fourplex).

    What COC% would one be looking for? 10%, 20% .. I get the higher the better.
  • Robin SimonBusiness Member
    Lender · Austin, TX · Member since 2022 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Dominic Richardson:
    Quote from @Robin Simon:

    Probably need more information, especially regarding type of real estate investment because its going to definitely differ dramatically, some thoughts:

    -If its for a rehab "Fix and flip" - definitely more about value, experience, timeline

    -You are mentioning more about rental property metrics - if so, is this SFR or small residential or commercial? Cap Rates really don't apply to residential so drivers are going to be much more about credit and value - if commercial, its a whole different thing - more about cap rate cash flow metrics etc


    To be more specific; long hold multi-family rental properties (duplex, triplex or fourplex).

    What COC% would one be looking for? 10%, 20% .. I get the higher the better.

     Cash on Cash as a lender (you) or the investor's cash on cash in underwriting them?

  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940 · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 319 votes
    2y

    PML would only consider bridge, fix and flip or ground up construction from my experience 

  • Robert EllisBusiness Member
    Developer · Miami, FL · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    experience and liquidity 

  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Dominic Richardson:

    If you are a PML or Money Partner, what do you look for when someone brings you a "deal"?

    Is it Cash Flow, Cap Rate, COC, all three or something else?

    If it's cash flow, what is the target amount? 

    If its COC return, what is the target?

    I understand everyone looks for something different in a deal. But I want to set some parameters when I analysis a property based on  your feedback, so when I find a deal its more appealing when I present it to a PML or Money Partner. 

    Thanks in advance! 

    I typically lend on fix n flips and BRRRR projects, quick turnaround on my money less than 12 months is the goal.  Track record of operator is critical.  I analyze the deal to make sure it looks to be a successful project for both of us.  I will take first lien position.  All documents are recorded.  Interest rate 12% plus 2 points.  
  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 755 votes
    2y

    I am a PML in Florida and also raise money for flips as well. Generally, I prefer shorter timeline fix and flips with at least a 10% return within 6-7 months ideally. Ideally, the property is a SFH up to 4 units and in a decent or better area. Too many dangers if it is in a high crime area in the sense of vandalism, theft, etc. The borrower should have good experience in fixing up the property and working with a solid realtor who can get the properties sold quickly. Ideally, the realtor should already have some buyers lined up that may be purchasing the home.

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    2y

    Pretty much the same things that regular investors do but generally with 1) a greater focus on cash flow/cash on cash return than built-in equity or appreciation potential and 2) they tend to be more interested in security and it being low risk than active investors.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.