Lender · Member since 2022 · 6k+ posts · 1k+ votes
I am curious why some clients hate working with brokers? Do they feel they have more control working directly with a lender? Is it a lack of trust? Do they feel they are getting a better deal by going direct?
I am curious why some clients hate working with brokers? Do they feel they have more control working directly with a lender? Is it a lack of trust? Do they feel they are getting a better deal by going direct?
Some brokers will tell you whatever you want to here and have little experience, it is like real estate wholesaling. Unfortunately its got a low barrier to entry. If you have a good broker they are worth their weight in gold, but they are not easy to find.
I am curious why some clients hate working with brokers? Do they feel they have more control working directly with a lender? Is it a lack of trust? Do they feel they are getting a better deal by going direct?
It could be a better deal - although the good brokers have the connections with lenders where the pricing is the same. In working with many clients as a broker over the years - the issue I discovered from really just talking to them is a lot of brokers are living deal-to-deal and don't really have a business set up - so there's commission breath going around plus the fact that instead of giving the current client white glove service, they are already looking for the next loan to close and often consider the one in the pipeline already in the bag.
I am curious why some clients hate working with brokers? Do they feel they have more control working directly with a lender? Is it a lack of trust? Do they feel they are getting a better deal by going direct?
It could be a better deal - although the good brokers have the connections with lenders where the pricing is the same. In working with many clients as a broker over the years - the issue I discovered from really just talking to them is a lot of brokers are living deal-to-deal and don't really have a business set up - so there's commission breath going around plus the fact that instead of giving the current client white glove service, they are already looking for the next loan to close and often consider the one in the pipeline already in the bag.
Just my experience.
I can see that. But from my conversations with new clients I have found that they really want a hands on experience instead of a broker taking care of the file for them. They trust themselves more than a broker that does mortgages for a living.
I have also found that they believe they will get a better response talking to the lender directly rather than having a broker filter communications.
I guess it really just depends on the client. We can't win them all.
I would say clients probably prefer whomever the agent recommends. If they knew the difference only a few clients would ever choose to go to banks, and that would likely be due to niche programs (Like Bank Of America's Physician loans).
I am curious why some clients hate working with brokers? Do they feel they have more control working directly with a lender? Is it a lack of trust? Do they feel they are getting a better deal by going direct?
From my experience, it can be a few things:
1. bad perception of brokers. Since some brokers have high fees and little value, many people believe all of them are evil (not true by any means). 2. People not seeing the value. Some people will spend hours to get the best deal by speaking with 10+ lenders, not realizing they are trading their time versus money. In addition, they usually focus on cost and or rate versus the best placement. A good broker can save money and headaches by placing the loan correctly. 3. many of the people saying “no brokers” are a broker looking for financing
Attorney · Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
1y
I used a broker for the first time 5 years ago. It was truly hands off experience. All communication flowed directly through the broker. The lender they selected for me was a small bank for a $914,000 construction loan to build a 4-unit condominium building. There were a lot of requests, but the broker was very organized and managed the process well. The terms were great, no complaints until I began drawing down on the loan. The draw process was slow and they had a poor construction loan administration process. It was manageable, just a headache. Then we got hit with the covid shut down for a few months followed up by supply chain delays. Fortunately, the building was already framed so I didn't get hit with extreme overages, but the delays did cause me to miss the sales covenant. I was obligated to pay off $300,000 of the loan balance within 16 months as one of the conditions of the loan.
There were a few errors my GC made, and while I knew they were fixable, the thought of dealing with homeowners not knowing whether the GC would honor the builders warranty felt like more of a headache then owning the units as rentals and selling the units down the road once the defects were cured. With the market uncertainty and low interest rates, I notified the lender I would be leasing the units and would miss the sales covenant. I got a simple "ok" email back. A few months later I received a default notice letter in the mail, didn't even have the decency to let me know by call or email even if they were obligated to send the written notification. The default rate added 5% to my rate. A few months later I refinanced the building and received a $2,030,000 appraisal. I believe the true value was closer to $1.8M but got favorable values on each unit. Nevertheless, sent the appraisals to the bank along with the payoff request and informed the lender my 45% LTV loan was the least of their worries, and I would never bank with them again. A peer of mine originated a loan around the same time with the same lender through the same broker. Their loan was construction to permanent and similarly the lender would not honor the permanent rate built into the loan because he missed the sales covenant.
The broker did nothing wrong, the broker obtained good loan terms. But there's more to loan originations than price and leverage, particularly for construction loans. Brokers compete on price as they should. It's how they can demonstrate value. However, the administration part of the loan process is an afterthought. I will never use a broker for a construction loan again. I want direct communication and the opportunity to feel out the lender. I am screening them just as much as they are screening me.
Right now I am dealing with a situation which will likely go down as the craziest in my career. Originated a rather large construction loan for a new construction building only to find out the contractor made some serious errors. Don't want to put too much out there since there's ongoing litigation but in this case, my lender is supporting me in the redesign, giving me access to contingency funds and being patient. That's the value of the relationship.
I've used brokers since for permanent take-out loans. In instances like that where servicing is straight forward, I see no harm in getting the best terms on price and leverage. However, I will never use a broker again for a construction loan because a loan broker is not conditioned to prioritize what's most important to me. I don't blame the brokers either because they earn their commissions competing on price and leverage. Had I used the same lender I described earlier in the story with my current situation, it would have been far messier of a situation.
I am curious why some clients hate working with brokers? Do they feel they have more control working directly with a lender? Is it a lack of trust? Do they feel they are getting a better deal by going direct?
Some brokers will tell you whatever you want to here and have little experience, it is like real estate wholesaling. Unfortunately its got a low barrier to entry. If you have a good broker they are worth their weight in gold, but they are not easy to find.
Investor · Coppell, TX · Member since 2018 · 311 posts · 166 votes
1y
@Erik Estrada in our specific niche/asset class/price point, there are no brokers who can offer funding. We had no choice but to create our own advance systems and strategies to find private money lenders. Therefore, now we exclusively work directly with private money lenders.
Lender · Eugene, OR · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y
There's good brokers and bad brokers. Vast majority of customers don't know the difference, don't have the experience/long term relationships and don't have the sophistication to ask the right questions.
Lender · Sanford, NC · Member since 2024 · 348 posts · 116 votes
1y
A lot of it comes down to perception. Some investors feel direct lenders give them faster answers or better pricing, and some just don’t want to pay a broker fee. On the other hand, good brokers can often save time and money by matching the deal with the right lender. I think it really depends on the investor’s experience level and past interactions.
I appreciate a post like this. Not only does this demonstrate your rational assessment of what happened but also shows the difference between a good broker and a great broker. So many brokers out there focus primarily on DSCR loans in the residential space only, and as I am sure you've seen/heard, not all are created equally. Most only offer Fix and Flip and Construction loans as they come up.
There are many of us whom focus more on Fix and Flip, Construction, Development, and Commercial properties and do DSCR as a side offering for clients. When dealing with more complex loan structures it is imperative that we get to know our clients and what they want/expect from us and the products we show them. We always make it a point to present several options and the pros and cons of each product and lender nuances. We know our capital partners and how they underwrite, service, and manage construction draws well. I had a client just recently whom emphasized high leverage but quick, non-cumbersome draws. The normal lenders we use for high leverage tend to have a slower draw process, so we showed them those options as well as a few others with slightly lower leverage, slightly higher costs, but lightning fast draws. We present the options so our clients can make the decision which way they want to go.
Knowing these pieces and understanding our clients is how we've become so successful and why over 65% of our business is repeat clients. We also enjoy co-brokering with other brokers to help them out when they are overwhelmed or have deals that they are not familiar with the loan products or options. IMO, brokers who are only showing the lowest costs and best rates are doing ok, but not really forming a partnership with their clients. Nothing wrong with that business model! But, for us, we take pride in providing the best experience we can and creating a repeatable relationship with our clients. I feel that puts us a notch or two above those that don't.
I am curious why some clients hate working with brokers? Do they feel they have more control working directly with a lender? Is it a lack of trust? Do they feel they are getting a better deal by going direct?
This really comes down to the borrower. Some value their time more than others and are willing to pay a broker for the value add they can bring. Some don't see the value and are fine to spend their time and efforts to find their own financing.
I've never heard a client say that they'd rather work directly with a lender for better communication or that loan processing was easier. Quite the opposite is what feedback I get. My clients tell me I make the process easier and way less stressful. I do my best to shield clients from the BS that lenders do all the time and work through things internally not having to bother the client about nuances or little things we can take care of. We literally play quarterback to the lender and all 3rd parties, while keeping the client informed along the way. We've actually "fired" a few lenders for not wanting to keep the broker on communications with title throughout balancing and funding. We don't play games like that. We bring lenders the business, we don't have to. Nothing worse than a lender/title approving a HUD and sending to the client before I see it only to find out it is incorrect. My clients are happy to pay for that level of service.
Some borrower simply don't want to pay a broker and that's fine too.
Lender · Irvine, CA · Member since 2025 · 27 posts · 8 votes
1y
@Erik Estrada good question. From what I’ve seen, it usually comes down to perception and past experience:
Control: Some investors think going direct gives them faster answers and fewer “middlemen” in the process.
Cost: A few focus purely on fees and assume cutting out a broker = cheaper deal.
Trust: If someone had a bad experience with a broker (overpromising, last-minute changes, etc.), they may swear off brokers altogether.
That said, a good broker can be invaluable. The right one already knows which lenders are a fit, which shops play games, and which ones service loans well after closing. That saves time, avoids headaches, and often nets better overall terms.
I think the real answer is: inexperienced or transactional brokers create that “bad taste,” but experienced brokers are worth their weight in gold.
Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
1y
This day and age it's hard to know who is a scammer and who isn't. If I go to a brick and mortar bank and talk to a loan officer, I know I am talking to a legit lender.