HELOC on Investment Property?

HELOC on Investment Property?

Dayton, OH · Member since 2014 · 18 posts · 23 votes

Hi, I have an investment property with about 50% equity in it. I am interested in leveraging the equity to do some more real estate investing. I have approached a few banks (including the current mortgage holder) and a few credit unions about obtaining a HELOC on this property. I have been repeatedly told things like: 1) we don't do HELOCs if we are in second lien position behind the primary mortgage holder 2) we only do HOLs, 3) Etc. I have checked with the primary mortgage holder and they do not offer HELOCs.

Does anyone know of any lenders that will do a HELOC in this situation?

Or does anyone have any other ideas on how to leverage this equity?

Note: I'm not much interested in the home equity loan type of offer as I'm not sure when I would pull the trigger on a another real estate transaction (real estate is the side job).

Thanks in advance.

0Reply
331 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · Powell, OH · Member since 2013 · 86 posts · 23 votes
11y
Originally posted by @Mike Smith:

FYI, I contacted all of the companies in the posts above asking if they have a HELOC product offering for single home investment property in Ohio when they are not the first mortgage holder.

Navy Federal Credit Union has a product.

Pentagon Federal Credit Union (PefFed) has a product.

Thanks for the help!

 I for one appreciate when people get back on here and update us on their results.... thanks Mike! I was curious about the same product

See this reply in the discussion

70 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 413 posts · 348 votes
    6y

    Just to piggyback and not start a new thread-are banks more likely to offer a HELOC if the house is paid off?

  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Janay West:

    Hey I have an investment property in Ohio and I am interested in leveraging the equity so I can do more real estate investing. does anyone know of any lenders that will do a HELOC for a LLC'S

     I have a list of lenders in Ohio I can share with you. There are about 30 of them. I am sure at least one does. What area of Ohio are you in?

  • Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 3 votes
    6y
  • Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    that would be great. that property is in Warren Ohio . 

  • Rental Property Investor · Bay Area, CA · Member since 2020 · 10 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    Anyone has any leads on HELOCs for SFH rentals in 2nd lien positions in CALIFORNIA? I am mostly looking at LTV 75%+.

    I see Fremont Bank and Cal Coast Credit Union in this thread. Anything more to add to that funnel would help me to call them up and enquire. Appreciate your help!

  • Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    @Satyajit Bappanadu Manjunath

    Usbank, did, my primary in September

  • Rental Property Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2018 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Satyajit Bappanadu Manjunath:

    Anyone has any leads on HELOCs for SFH rentals in 2nd lien positions in CALIFORNIA? I am mostly looking at LTV 75%+.

    I see Fremont Bank and Cal Coast Credit Union in this thread. Anything more to add to that funnel would help me to call them up and enquire. Appreciate your help!

    Hey Satyajit, I did a HELOC on my investment property earlier this year and went with PenFed. I did talk to Union bank, CBT, Redwood CU, Freemont Bank, and few others but found PenFed terms to be the best for me. The process was pretty easy.

  • Investor · Concord, NC · Member since 2020 · 16 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    Thanks to everyone that provided value to this thread and kept with the theme, "HELOC on investment property".

    Going through Covid has definitely impacted my local banks and what they are currently willing to offer. The extensively researched lists here give me the confidence to proceed with a game plan. You all Rock!

  • Rental Property Investor · Bay Area, CA · Member since 2020 · 10 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    Thank you @Don Cornell and @Tariq Khan for the leads. I found a few more leads browsing through other threads. I'll call them up and check.

  • Rental Property Investor · Merced, CA · Member since 2020 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    I have a HELOC on my CA investment property through PenFed CU. The approval process is straight forward but the time frame to close is VERY slow.

  • Member since 2019 · 448 posts · 306 votes
    5y

    I have been following this thread since its inception early this year.

    Has anyone actually gotten a HELOC on an investment property? A lot of you said it was in progress but nothing actually closed.

  • Rental Property Investor · Merced, CA · Member since 2020 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    Matt I have a HELOC that closed on my investment property.

  • Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    @Quiana Alsbrooks - make sure you stay on top of them. I got stuck in Penfed hell, where my loan processor basically disappeared. I’m 120+ days out and super frustrated. I was exceedingly patient, and finally blew up and started bombing the phone lines everyday to get some attention and some kind of response. It seems that my processor had some “issues” and I have a new one now who seems to be on the ball. But wth was the manager doing with the application aging like it did? I’m annoyed with myself that I stayed with the application so long, partially because I heard so many good things about them.

  • Rental Property Investor · Braintree, VT · Member since 2013 · 35 posts · 13 votes
    5y

    I haven't been able to get a HELOC on my investment property in VT. Called quite a few banks, now planning on doing a cash out refinance. Value has gone up so much during Covid don't want to miss out to use the equity to build next house. Most banks only want to do HELOCs on primary or second homes from what I've found.

  • Brian PinckardPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Atlantic Beach, NC · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 18 votes
    5y

    @Norman Phengvath I put in a HELOC application with PenFed about 2 or 3 weeks ago. Finally called them to find out what was going on and found out nothing had been going on. For some reason my application was just sitting there. Not impressed.

    As others have said PenFed will do 2nd position HELOCs on investment properties but if you own 4 or more properties they will not approve the application.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2020 · 244 posts · 275 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Anthony Weiss:

    Thanks to everyone that provided value to this thread and kept with the theme, "HELOC on investment property".

    Going through Covid has definitely impacted my local banks and what they are currently willing to offer. The extensively researched lists here give me the confidence to proceed with a game plan. You all Rock!

    Did you find a bank that will do the HELOC for you? I need to do one.

  • Rental Property Investor · Merced, CA · Member since 2020 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    PenFed does HELOCs on Investment properties.  It is slow and agonzing but I closed one one of my properties.

  • Member since 2021 · 1 post · 0 votes
    5y

    First of all, thank you all so much for all the info.  We are having a heck of a time.  We are in Colorado, I have called pretty much everyone on all of the lists provided here, and so far PenFed is the only one that will do it and something seems really off - he estimated the interest only payment at a ridiculously high amount for what he says the interest rate is - borrowing $50k at 4.75% is a $562 a month interest only payment during the draw period????  

    Would love some other options, took the credit hit today to get that info, which sucks. A lot of the lenders in the more recent posts are not offering helocs on investment properties at all anymore and almost all say they don't know of anyone who is. We are sitting about 49%LTV with our first mortgage, want to tap into the equity to purchase another investment, only looking for about $50k so that keeps us well below 80%, but no dice.

    Please let me know if you've had any recent luck with other lenders!

  • New to Real Estate · MA · Member since 2021 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    Wanted to jump in for some advice on an already amazing thread. I'm just getting going in REI and have 1 unit rented. I live with my gf in her house so this is the only household in my name (lender would not go for an llc). I applied for a HELOC at a local bank which was accepted, though because it's not technically my primary address they will only offer 70% LTV.

    What would be the penalty for claiming it as my primary address to receive better terms? 

    I appreciate any advice for a newbie!

  • Kerry BairdPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @Joe M.@Derek Young, recommend you press on, as is. It would be considered mortgage fraud to lie on an application.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.