Made no profit this year should I still file taxes?

Made no profit this year should I still file taxes?

Wholesaler · Chattanooga TN · Member since 2024 · 7 posts · 4 votes

I started dabbling in wholesaling a few months ago,I do not have an LLC. I haven't made any profit yet and I'm wondering if I should still file taxes for my "business ".

2Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

Michael PlaksPro Member
Tax Accountant / Enrolled Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
1y
Quote from @Tinia James:

I started dabbling in wholesaling a few months ago,I do not have an LLC. I haven't made any profit yet and I'm wondering if I should still file taxes for my "business ".

I assume that when you say "I made no profit" you mean you did not have any deals. A more accurate way to describe it is "I received no income" - because you can have deals but still have no profit if your expenses are greater than your income.

If you were actively looking for deals (and can document it) - as opposed to merely planning to start later - then you file Schedule C and claim business expanses such as marketing, driving, technology and so on. 

Warning: Schedules C claiming expenses without any income are not against the rules, but they are IRS audit flags.
See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Tinia James:

    I started dabbling in wholesaling a few months ago,I do not have an LLC. I haven't made any profit yet and I'm wondering if I should still file taxes for my "business ".


    LLC is a pass thru entity so it should reflect on your individual return

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Wholesaler · Chattanooga TN · Member since 2024 · 7 posts · 4 votes
    1y

    Yes, but I do not have one.

    So would I just file a regular schedule C.

  • Joshua ThompsonBusiness Member
    Accountant · Melissa, TX (Remote) · Member since 2017 · 210 posts · 135 votes
    1y

    Yes typically you'll file the wholesale activity on a schedule C unless it was done in an entity (S Corp, Partnership, C Corp) but I see above you don't have these. If you've been active in this business and actively pursuing a profit during the year, the loss the business generates could help offset other income on your tax return. 

    If you would classify this as more of a hobby which most people won't the first year, then the losses won't benefit you. Ignore this part if you're trying to make a profit with your wholesaling business.

    Thompson Tax Group LLC550 Reviews
  • Bill HamptonBusiness Member
    Accredited Investment Fiduciary, AIF®, Financial Planner, Tax Strategist, Real Estate Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 977 votes
    1y

    @Tinia James

    If you receive a 1099 showing income from one of your deals, you have to file a Schedule C to report that income. The IRS will receive a copy of your 1099. If you don't report the income, it could lead to an audit. 

    If you didn't receive any income but you had legitimate business expenses, you should still file a Schedule C to deduct those expenses. 

    I recommend finding a real estate and business accountant to help you with filing your taxes.

    Bigger Pockets is a great place to find a real estate tax accountant. 

    A good real estate accountant can save you thousands of dollars by leveraging entity selection and formation, tax deductions, cost segregations, bonus depreciation and tax planning.

    I recommend finding an accountant who specializes in real estate taxation, business taxation, financial planning and tax planning.

    You may want to consider working with your accountant remotely to expand your options.

    I would also recommend looking for a accountant willing to work with you throughout the year. You want an accountant who can help you strategize and who is responsive when you want to know the consequences of the financial decisions you are making throughout the year.

    Good luck.

    Hampton Tax and Financial Services LLC4.7106 Reviews
  • Michael PlaksPro Member
    Tax Accountant / Enrolled Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Tinia James:

    I started dabbling in wholesaling a few months ago,I do not have an LLC. I haven't made any profit yet and I'm wondering if I should still file taxes for my "business ".

    I assume that when you say "I made no profit" you mean you did not have any deals. A more accurate way to describe it is "I received no income" - because you can have deals but still have no profit if your expenses are greater than your income.

    If you were actively looking for deals (and can document it) - as opposed to merely planning to start later - then you file Schedule C and claim business expanses such as marketing, driving, technology and so on. 

    Warning: Schedules C claiming expenses without any income are not against the rules, but they are IRS audit flags.
  • Wholesaler · Chattanooga TN · Member since 2024 · 7 posts · 4 votes
    1y

    Thank you for your thorough response. If I did have a 1099 I would definitely be filing. I’ll consider all that You said 

  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    If you operated a business, even without an LLC, you may potentially be able to write off certain expenses.

  • Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
    CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    @Tinia James Yes, you should still file taxes even if you made no profit, especially if you incurred any business expenses. Reporting these expenses on your personal tax return (likely Schedule C for a sole proprietor) could result in a net loss that might offset other taxable income, reducing your overall tax liability. Additionally, filing establishes a record of your business activities, which can be beneficial for future deductions or tax compliance.

    This post does not create a CPA-Client relationship. The information contained in this post is not to be relied upon. Readers should seek professional advice.

    INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPA®5241 Reviews
    TaxMD™ | AI-Powered Tax Planning
  • Aaron ZimmermanBusiness Member
    Accountant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Tinia James:

    I started dabbling in wholesaling a few months ago,I do not have an LLC. I haven't made any profit yet and I'm wondering if I should still file taxes for my "business ".


     This activity will go directly on your Schedule C. You should absolutely report the activity on your return. 

    I would highly recommend getting a single member LLC. At some point, if your business takes off, the single member LLC gives you optionality to move to an S Corp (which typically means less self employment taxes).

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.