TurboTax vs. CPA for only one rental?

TurboTax vs. CPA for only one rental?

Member since 2025 · 6 posts · 4 votes

Hi all, 

I just bought my first rental property this year, so it'll be the first time filing taxes with this. My primary W2 is pretty basic and have always used TurboTax, but now that I have this rental is it better to get a CPA or TurboTax should still work with just one property? Any advice is much appreciated! 

2Reply
325 views

Most Popular Reply

Nicholas L.Pro Member
Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
1y

@Brandon Garcia I think I hired a CPA when I got to 5.  I think it depends on your overall tax situation and if you have anything else complicated.  One property is not at all difficult to do yourself.

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    1y

    @Brandon Garcia I think I hired a CPA when I got to 5.  I think it depends on your overall tax situation and if you have anything else complicated.  One property is not at all difficult to do yourself.

    • Member since 2025 · 6 posts · 4 votes
      1y

      @Nicholas L. Thank you! My current tax situation is very simple. Only extra thing added now is the one rental. 

  • Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2016 · 576 posts · 358 votes
    1y

    I used TurboTax, or something like it through three or four properties, then hired a CPA after that. I used (use) a bookkeeping program to keep track of every transaction and every mortgage whether or not I would be doing my own taxes. I think excellent bookkeeping and accounting are essential in REI.

  • Aaron ZimmermanBusiness Member
    Accountant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Doing one on TurboTax is fine. I’d encourage you to make sure the basis of your property is done correctly as that impacts all future years of depreciation. I have seen so many mistakes over the years so definitely be careful.
  • Julius VincentBusiness Member
    Tax Strategist | CPA, MBA + Wharton FP&A | CFO-Level Planning · Houston, TX · Member since 2025 · 157 posts · 172 votes
    1y

    @Brandon Garcia - You can definitely still use TurboTax with just one rental. As others have said, it just gets a little tricky when doing basis tracking (e.g., including all the right costs in your starting basis and keeping up with improvements over time). But as long as you're comfortable with entering everything and keeping good records, you should be fine. 

    Us CPAs are handy if you want peace of mind, aren't sure about deductions (like repairs vs. improvements), want someone else to set the first year up correctly, etc.

    Horizon Wealth & Tax Advisors510 Reviews
  • Jason MalabuteBusiness Member
    Accountant · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 900 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Brandon Garcia:

    Hi all, 

    I just bought my first rental property this year, so it'll be the first time filing taxes with this. My primary W2 is pretty basic and have always used TurboTax, but now that I have this rental is it better to get a CPA or TurboTax should still work with just one property? Any advice is much appreciated! 


    If you have any plans to grow your rental portfolio, I’d recommend working with a CPA right from the start. TurboTax can get the job done for simple filings, but if something gets entered incorrectly, fixing it later usually costs more. A CPA can set you up on the right foot from day one and make sure your foundation is solid as you expand.

    Malabute & Company CPAs525 Reviews
  • Dr · VA · Member since 2025 · 154 posts · 34 votes
    1y

    Tax Professional can serve your interest better through experience, knowledge and practice in the field. Would recommend professional service, cost some money, but worth it.

  • Daniel TanasaBusiness Member
    Realtor · Houston, TX · Member since 2019 · 351 posts · 174 votes
    1y

    Hey Brandon, 

    A CPA usually pays for itself and a few times over from the extra deductions and savings he is able to provide by knowing the system. I would probably recommend going with a CPA even if you have only one property. If is a easy tax file they won't charge too much either. 

    Good Luck!

  • USA · Member since 2023 · 145 posts · 84 votes
    1y

    @Brandon Garcia depends on the value of your time / desire for ongoing advisor but I would say 3+ would be when to shift. 

  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    Using turbo tax if you have a simple return is okay. 

    It is hard to mess up a return if you have just a W-2 and some interest / brokerage accounts.

    I personally think it is better suited to hire an accountant if you have a rental or a business.

    One thing you would benefit by having an accountant is that you have someone to ask questions to throughout the year.

    Best of luck

  • CPA| New Clients Welcome| 50 States · Member since 2016 · 430 posts · 93 votes
    1y

    @Brandon Garcia, hi. Congrats on your first rental! TurboTax can handle a simple rental, but once you add depreciation, expenses, and long-term planning, a CPA can usually help you maximize deductions and avoid mistakes. Even one property can open up strategies that software won’t flag for you.

    If you’d like, I can walk you through how to structure your filing and what you can and can’t write off as a landlord. Feel free to DM me or reach out to my e-mail. 

  • Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
    CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11mo

    Congrats on your first rental! You’ll probably be fine using TurboTax for just one property, but here’s something most people don’t think about: the first year is the most important because you’re setting your “starting point” for depreciation and basis. If that’s off, even by a little, it can snowball over time and make things really messy and eventually cost you more money when you do decide to work with a CPA or if you sell down the road.

    One option you could try if you're not sure is having a CPA handle just that first year to get everything set up correctly (basis, depreciation schedules, categorizing repairs vs. improvements, etc.). After that, if you don't see the benefit, you could go back to TurboTax if you’re comfortable. That way, you’ve got the peace of mind that your foundation is solid without feeling like you’re committed to paying CPA fees forever. However, in my experience, the CPA fees typically pay for themselves when it comes to rental real estate. I always tell people that paying for a CPA is like paying $10 for a $100 bill.

    If you already know you want to grow your portfolio, then it’s worth sticking with a CPA from the start. But if this is a “one and done” rental for now, setting it up right once can save you headaches later.

    INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPA®5241 Reviews
    TaxMD™ | AI-Powered Tax Planning
  • Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
    CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11mo

    One more note: Clean books and organized records from the start make everything easier, whether you stick with TurboTax or work with a CPA down the line.

    INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPA®5241 Reviews
    TaxMD™ | AI-Powered Tax Planning
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.