Filing as a Married Couple Has No Benefits!!

Filing as a Married Couple Has No Benefits!!

Member since 2025 · 14 posts · 18 votes

Sorry for the clickbait title, I hope it brought some bright minds here :)

I just got married in January, I'm a high earning W2 employee. My wife meets the criteria for Real Estate Professional for a portfolio of rentals in an LLC she fully owns. We hired a new accountant for taxes this year, and we asked about planning to file jointly for 2026, he said there's no benefit to do so. She has student loans too, and he said this would impact the amount she'd have to repay each month and/or the interest on it.

I always thought I'd heard that filing jointly with someone as a RE Professional would get us a bunch of the W2 tax money back at the end of the year...or I had on happy ears and heard something very diffrent.

Any thoughts?

0Reply
427 views

Most Popular Reply

Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
Moderator
Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
1mo

Why did they say there was no benefit to file jointly? Have you also gotten a second opinion?

7e investments53 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    1mo

    Why did they say there was no benefit to file jointly? Have you also gotten a second opinion?

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1mo

    OP. 
    REP and married only helps to offset W2 income if there are some losses on the REI side. So depends on how your tax accountant said it. If he knew there are and would not be any RE losses then no benefit.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · CA · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1mo
    Quote from @Chris Mooney:

    Sorry for the clickbait title, I hope it brought some bright minds here :)

    I just got married in January, I'm a high earning W2 employee. My wife meets the criteria for Real Estate Professional for a portfolio of rentals in an LLC she fully owns. We hired a new accountant for taxes this year, and we asked about planning to file jointly for 2026, he said there's no benefit to do so. She has student loans too, and he said this would impact the amount she'd have to repay each month and/or the interest on it.

    I always thought I'd heard that filing jointly with someone as a RE Professional would get us a bunch of the W2 tax money back at the end of the year...or I had on happy ears and heard something very diffrent.

    Any thoughts?


     Definitely click bait, but worthy of a response lol. Id want to see the 2 returns side by side for comparison. Agree with Chris, 2nd opinion. A good CPA is worth their weight in gold.

  • Julius VincentBusiness Member
    Tax Strategist | CPA, MBA + Wharton FP&A | CFO-Level Planning · Houston, TX · Member since 2025 · 157 posts · 172 votes
    1mo

    @Christopher Mooney - I'd get a second opinion. REPS makes your wife's rental losses non-passive, and non-passive losses offset ordinary income on whatever return they land on. If you file separately, her losses sit on her return and can only reach her own income. Your W-2 is on a different return. Filing jointly is the vehicle that connects the two. So separate filing does not reduce that benefit, it eliminates it.

    That said, your accountant is right that filing separately excludes your income from her student loan payment calculation under IBR, PAYE, ICR and the new RAP plan. But if her losses are substantial, they pull down joint AGI too, and IDR payments are calculated from AGI. So the real comparison is your W-2 minus her rental losses versus her income alone, not your full W-2 versus her income. 

    Horizon Wealth & Tax Advisors510 Reviews
  • Aaron ZimmermanBusiness Member
    Accountant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1mo
    I would ask your cpa to produce a page that shows the difference between MFJ and mfs. Ideally so you can plan doing cost segs. Additionally, I’d look to make sure your wife actually does qualify as REPS status and run the hours by your cpa.
  • Jason MalabuteBusiness Member
    Accountant · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 901 votes
    1mo

    I'd definitely get a second set of eyes on this. When your wife qualifies as a real estate professional, her rental losses turn non-passive, and non-passive losses can offset ordinary income on whatever return they land on. The catch is that filing separately keeps her losses stuck on her own return where they can only reach her income, while your W-2 lives on a completely different return, so filing jointly is really the thing that ties the two together. Filing separately doesn't just shrink that benefit, it takes it off the table entirely. Your accountant isn't wrong that filing separately keeps your income out of her student loan payment math under the IBR, PAYE, ICR, and the newer RAP plans, but if her losses are big they also drag down your joint AGI, and those income-driven payments are figured off AGI. So the real comparison is your W-2 minus her rental losses against her income alone, not your full W-2 against her income. How it nets out really comes down to your specific numbers, so it's worth running both scenarios with your own CPA.

    Malabute & Company CPAs525 Reviews
  • Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
    CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1mo

    Chris, I would get a second opinion before accepting that there is “no benefit” to planning around your wife’s Real Estate Professional Status.

    The important distinction is that REPS by itself does not automatically make rental losses deductible against your W-2 income. Your wife also generally needs to materially participate in the rental activities for those losses to be treated as nonpassive. If she qualifies as a real estate professional and materially participates, rental losses can potentially offset other nonpassive income, including wages reported on a joint return.

    That becomes especially important if you are considering cost segregation. Cost seg can accelerate depreciation and potentially create a large paper loss, but the real question is whether that loss will actually be usable. Basis, at-risk rules, passive-loss rules, material participation, and any grouping election all need to be reviewed together.

    I also would not let the student loan interest issue drive the entire filing-status decision. That deduction is income-limited and relatively small compared with what could potentially be at stake with a substantial rental portfolio. The IRS currently limits the student loan interest deduction to as much as $2,500, with income phaseouts applying.

    I’d have someone model MFJ versus MFS, REPS, material participation, existing suspended losses, and potential cost segregation using your actual numbers before making the decision.

    Happy to connect!

    INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPA®5241 Reviews
    TaxMD® | AI-Powered Tax Planning
  • Accountant · We serve all 50 states · Member since 2015 · 90 posts · 50 votes
    1mo

    When my clients marry and file their first return as a married couple, we normally run both scenarios, MFJ (married filing jointly) and MFS (married filing separately), and my software compares the two and figures out which one is the most advantageous for them. In 95% of cases, it's usually the MFJ status. I recommend asking your CPA to do this comparison next filing season for your peace of mind. Congratulations, by the way! :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.