Hello does anyone here know if I can relist and sale my home if my previous buyer did not perform? They signed off on all contingencies. They are not releasing the EMD or signing the cancellation. My ex realtor says CARS attorney says no and I spoke with a real estate attorney who told me yes. I'm so confused. I want to relist and sell now and go to small claims when America opens back up. The home is in California.
China, ME · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
6y
@Moni Pierre Not enough information here - except that you spoke with an attorney. I'm not a lawyer, so I'd listen to what he or she says.
Did the CARS attorney read the P&S and all addenda? If not, they may not have all of the information needed to give an accurate opinion.
Your P&S and addenda should specify exactly what happens in the event of default. That contract governs the transaction.
Generally, if the buyer did not perform and there's no extension in place to give them more time, they're in default and their deposits are at risk. Unless, of course, you failed to do something by the deadlines specified on the contract. In that case, YOU are in default.
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
6y
We can't possibly answer your question without knowing all the specific details, reading the contracts, etc.
Don't you have a REALTOR? They should be able to help you navigate this. If you've reached the closing date and the buyer didn't buy, that should be a legally dead contract and you can re-list and move on. Getting earnest money released is a different issue.
It sounds like you need to contact an attorney that specializes in real estate law.
Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
6y
Laws vary but here, once you actually send notice of default/non performance and a cancellation notice (assuming your basis is correct) then it is just a dispute over the EM and no longer about performance so here you’d be free to relist and sell.
I had an agent in this deal. The purchase agreement expired. 2 extension addendums where given. They signed off on all contingencies. Sent NBP. Sent DME. These where ignored by buyers agent. The buyers still continued with pursuing the sale and attempting to get a loan. They eventually signed closing docs. Insert pandemic. Then buyer is laid off. Now everything at this point is expired. My listing, My contract with my agent, my extensions for the purchase agreement. I guess I was looking for a straight answer on opening and closing a new escrow since I have one in limbo but it still seems complex. What other details did I not provide that will give more insight?
Forgive me, but I am confused, and maybe it’s because of processes in different states. You’re saying buyers signed closing docs, and you didn’t? Why did you not sign the same day and complete the sale?
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
6y
Though not in California, maybe @Tom Gimer will chime in in regards to possible title issues. Ive known some title attorneys here locally who will not issue a title insurance policy if there is an unreleased deposit, and I know others who do. Tom, which way do you roll on this issue?
@Russell Brazil From a title insurance perspective, there would not be a need for a release... the buyer failed to perform. That said it makes sense to give the buyer notice and a final opportunity to tender funds or you can end up in the middle of a lawsuit.
Specialist · Winter Springs, FL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 747 votes
6y
Are you saying in your post the escrow agent will not release the earnest money deposit to you or to the buyer? If not to you is the buyer making demand on it and you won't agree to its release? Was the buyer getting financing and now can't get a loan because of a job loss? I'd be surprised if an escrow agent and/or title agent would be willing to close and issue title insurance on a second contract with knowledge of an unreleased prior contract. The possibility of a lawsuit involving the property is way too high unless the first buyer releases the contract even with a provision you two will fight of the EMD.
@Peter Walther Had this exact scenario occur within the past 2 months and the underwriter gave the answer I provided above. Buyer failed to close in a time of the essence situation but kept working on getting funds, making promises, even stating multiple times that they had initiated the wire. Nothing arrived of course.
I always prefer to see a mutual release but with a buyer clearly in breach the title insurer (a top 3 national underwriter) said "no release required". Of course it could be a totally different business decision to make for the title company and parties if the breach was not so clear or the contract terms were ambiguous.
At this point the previous contract is expired and EMD is in limbo until small claims case judge rules. I will be relisting and selling due to the dispute is the earnest money not the purchase contract. The contract is expired. Buyers no longer can get a loan. This will be reflected in the listing so potential buyers are notified of the situation.
@Peter Walther Had this exact scenario occur within the past 2 months and the underwriter gave the answer I provided above. Buyer failed to close in a time of the essence situation but kept working on getting funds, making promises, even stating multiple times that they had initiated the wire. Nothing arrived of course.
I always prefer to see a mutual release but with a buyer clearly in breach the title insurer (a top 3 national underwriter) said "no release required". Of course it could be a totally different business decision to make for the title company and parties if the breach was not so clear or the contract terms were ambiguous.
Underwriting the issuance of a title policy is always a judgment call. I tend to be more conservative than some others but I guess its based on my experiences. I've found that no matter how clear the facts appear to be to me, someone can disagree. However, Moni has posted that the matter is in Small Claims Court. If I had a chance to read the filings I very well might change my mind.