Rental Property Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2017 · 202 posts · 82 votes
Is it a good idea to give tenants Christmas gifts? I give tenants target gift cards with a nice note, they’ve payed their rent on time and they have not caused any major damage to the property. Anyone gift their tenants Christmas gifts?
Port Chester, NY · Member since 2016 · 210 posts · 157 votes
4y
We gave every tenant a $25.00 American Express gift card as a token and for the hard times everyone has experienced over the last year. Out of 90+ tenants, only one reached out and said thank you. We will not be doing this annually moving forward.
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
4y
I don't believe Landlords should build personal relationships with their Tenants, but others disagree and have done it for years without problems. It's a personal decision.
Real Estate Agent · Portland, CT · Member since 2019 · 761 posts · 849 votes
4y
Definitely a personal decision. I do not do it but I can see the benefits in it, positive reinforcement I guess. What my tenants get for paying rent is a place to live and an attentive landlord. Giving them gifts for paying rent is like giving your employees gift cards for showing up to work everyday. (In my opinion)
Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
4y
In my view, which I've stated often and loudly here, if my wife and I were to give one of my tenants in my tenant class (low C-class) any sort of gift on Christmas, especially something they would not normally buy for themselves, they would understand the cost of it came out of the rent they paid us, interpret our actions as a cynical, manipulative ploy, and then resent us for it. The only gift I have ever given tenants like these is a significant break on December rent.
On the other hand, we do run ONE rental, the upstairs of our over-under duplex, where our tenants are grad students of expensive private universities, and children of cosigners on their lease who own substantial homes and even rentals themselves. We offer these upstairs tenants small household gifts all the time, especially around the holidays, especially the ones who end up stranded in the apartment over winter break working on projects/internships/campus jobs. This to date has not affected our landlord-tenant relationship negatively.
Investor · Olathe, KS · Member since 2017 · 123 posts · 99 votes
4y
@Michael Williams
I send a box of chocolates around Thanksgiving. It’s more of an “I appreciate you” gift. Many reach out and tell me thank you. I agree it’s a personal decision. If they have a house to live in and get good service that should be enough. I do it just because it makes me feel good to treat those who have been a great tenant all year. Hope that helps.
Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
4y
Brand new tenants (a few months or less) don't get a gift card from me but tenants who have been there for the latter part of a year or longer (and have shown they're a drama-free tenant who pays on time and doesn't incur me unnecessary costs such as a high water bill due to an unreported running toilet) receives a gift card that can be used at several local restaurants along with a Karl-approved Christmas card :-).
It's a small token to show I appreciate them and I like the fact they can enjoy a meal out and have a nice time at no cost to them.
Real Estate Agent · Burlington MA · Member since 2018 · 114 posts · 142 votes
4y
@Michael Williams
I do understand we should treat this as a business and keep the relationship with tenants as such. But we are also humans and I don’t see anything wrong with showing our appreciation.
Every Christmas I get my tenants a nice gift card for a local restaurant.
Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2017 · 159 posts · 116 votes
4y
When we did student rent by the room rentals we would give each person a nice but inexpensive (to us) gift box full of college food and items. The students that were fully self supporting greatly appreciated it. The students who had parents fully funding them could have cared less. Now that I am only renting by the house to mostly families we don't keep as close a connection to the tenants and do not give gifts of any kind.
Port Chester, NY · Member since 2016 · 210 posts · 157 votes
4y
We gave every tenant a $25.00 American Express gift card as a token and for the hard times everyone has experienced over the last year. Out of 90+ tenants, only one reached out and said thank you. We will not be doing this annually moving forward.
Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 5k+ votes
4y
I send them a card with a lease renewal showing the 10% rate increase. Then with a red pen I strikethrough the 10% and write 8% Merry Christmas. This keeps it professional, but in the holiday spirits.
Um, no, I don't send them any holiday gifts. I recall giving one tenant a holiday gift once, but that was because I hired him to do some work in his usual profession and he did a great job. Tenants are only going to look at the gift like they paid for it.
Rental Property Investor · Red Bank, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
4y
I am a vocal advocate of not giving gifts. I have heard it justified as a retention mechanism, timely rent mechanism, gratitude for upholding the lease mechanism, etc.
I am the best landlord my tenants will ever have. That is my gift to them, and it is no small feat. I respond immediately to problems and address issues in a very timely manner. I do not gouge on rent increases. I fulfill every aspect of my lease terms with a smile and I do not spare a nickel when it comes to repairing and replacing things.
If a tenant decided to uproot themselves because they did not get a $25 Amazon card then I would have taken it as a blessing. Clearly I made some mistake in the vetting process and I should not have rented to them.
I am very grateful for my units, I am very grateful that my tenants uphold their lease terms and I am very grateful that when politicians told them not to pay rent- they paid it as they should have.
I show my gratitude in being the best landlord there is, not by buying some silly gift card.
Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2017 · 814 posts · 466 votes
4y
No, the best Christmas gift you can give them is a well managed property and taking care of them. They will pay or not pay rent on time, regardless of gift cards. Some exceptions applies, like marketing for leads stuff such as postcard with some money value, but I would not target them individually.
Rental Property Investor · Weehawken, NJ · Member since 2021 · 15 posts · 12 votes
4y
@Michael Williams
I do give my tenants Christmas gifts. I believe being a landlord is a customer service industry. Renters are spending tens of thousands of dollars a year at your business. If you ran a shop or other service related business you would probably thank your good customers at the end of the year with a small token of appreciation.
Software Developer · Vidor, TX · Member since 2015 · 922 posts · 639 votes
4y
Personally, if my landlord had the extra money to get me a gift, I would perceive that as them overcharging on rent. Why not keep the gift and instead make my rent a few dollars cheaper per month?
I don't believe Landlords should build personal relationships with their Tenants, but others disagree and have done it for years without problems. It's a personal decision.
We do not interact with our tenants on a personal level, we'll give a "Welcome Home" card and flowers when they move in and a Christmas card during the holidays.
Definitely a personal decision. I do not do it but I can see the benefits in it, positive reinforcement I guess. What my tenants get for paying rent is a place to live and an attentive landlord. Giving them gifts for paying rent is like giving your employees gift cards for showing up to work everyday. (In my opinion)
Currently I only have two units, it is more of a positive reinforcement tactic. We'll give a "Welcome Home" card and flowers when they move in and a Christmas card during the holidays.