JD, CCIM , Real Estate Broker · Tuscaloosa, AL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
An Alabama client of mine had this experience, but I think it is relevant nationwide. He had smoke detectors in all rental houses. It was the tenant's responsibility to test the batteries periodically and replace them. In at least one house, a tenant of many years had not done that. There was a fire and the house burned to the ground. The insurance company denied coverage because the smoke detector was not operational at the time of the fire. My brother-in-law, a fire marshal, told me that even if the smoke detector is a melted lump of plastic and metal, they can easily determine if it was operational at the time of fire. He said if operational, they will find evidence of soot inside the detector. No soot, not operational, no insurance coverage.
The lesson--the landlord should check all smoke detectors at least annually, and replace all batteries at that time, and invoice the tenant for the expense.
Rockaway, NJ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
2y
This is a great lesson in what happens when a landlord tries to put their own responsibilities on the tenant. It is landlords responsibility to make sure the house is safe and habitable, which includes making sure all safety features are operating correctly. I cringe whenever I hear a landlord try to pass the buck to their tenant, because it just opens the landlord up to issues.
Also, stop trying to charge tenants for the costs to maintain your own property. That's unethical as hell.
Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
2y
I tell my tenants I will bring them batteries if the smoke detector or CO2 start beeping and I include this on paperwork at lease signing. I buy the 4-pack of 9V from Harbor Freight for $1.99 when they're on sale from time to time.
Most tenants take me up on the offer and I would much rather pay a few dollars extra per year per tenant than have a tenant at risk of death - especially carbon monoxide poisoning.
JD, CCIM , Real Estate Broker · Tuscaloosa, AL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
2y
Good point, @Karl B., but we've all had the experience of tenants who won't change HVAC filters even when you leave several with them. I think landlords are better off taking on this responsibility themselves. If too much trouble, then at least make sure the tenants have renters insurance with at least $500,000 of liability coverage, and landlord is named to receive notices if policy in danger of cancellation for non-payment. That way, at least if the tenant does not replace their batteries and the landlord's insurance denies coverage, you can sue the tenant and collect from their renters insurance.
An Alabama client of mine had this experience, but I think it is relevant nationwide. He had smoke detectors in all rental houses. It was the tenant's responsibility to test the batteries periodically and replace them. In at least one house, a tenant of many years had not done that. There was a fire and the house burned to the ground. The insurance company denied coverage because the smoke detector was not operational at the time of the fire. My brother-in-law, a fire marshal, told me that even if the smoke detector is a melted lump of plastic and metal, they can easily determine if it was operational at the time of fire. He said if operational, they will find evidence of soot inside the detector. No soot, not operational, no insurance coverage.
The lesson--the landlord should check all smoke detectors at least annually, and replace all batteries at that time, and invoice the tenant for the expense.
Hi Denise,
Thanks for sharing this. I was not aware that insurance companies could void coverage for this issue. The City of Phoenix has an ordinance that requires smoke detectors to have a 10-year sealed battery. This has become a best practice for all of our homes now regardless of their location.
Property Manager · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2024 · 27 posts · 13 votes
2y
@Denise Evans That's a tough lesson to learn! Smoke detectors should always be checked during an annual inspection. This is a good reminder for all landlords!
Rental Property Investor · New Braunfels, TX · Member since 2022 · 408 posts · 408 votes
2y
We just replaced the batteries in 52 smoke alarms last month. We also go in and change the AC filters every 90 days. It costs less than $200 per house per year to do this. I don’t believe it’s the tenants responsibility, It’s my house and I’m going to protect it and the tenants as best as I can. Most of my tenants pay close to $20,000 a year in rent, it’s a small price for me to pay to ensure their safety.
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
2y
Smoke detectors are a great excuse for landlords to enter their properties and conduct an inspection. National Fire Safety Week is every October. Set a reminder each year and schedule it with your tenant. This is a great opportunity to conduct an annual walk-through inspection, perform minor maintenance, prep for winter, etc. I also recommend something six months later, typically aligned with transitioning from winter to spring.
Richmond, VA · Member since 2019 · 358 posts · 181 votes
2y
Totally agree. Here in Richmond, Virginia we use a company called Stop Loss. They do annual inspections and we are totally in compliance since they confirm our alarms are tested and not older than 10 years old.
Flipper/Rehabber · CA · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
2y
Smoke alarms should be hardwired, interlocking and on a dedicated circuit. NFPA 72 outlines locations, batteries are for backup, many AHJ's require 10 year batteries.
JD, CCIM , Real Estate Broker · Tuscaloosa, AL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
2y
Good point, @Alan F. But, there is "should" and there is "required." Hardwired and interconnected vs. solely battery operated depends on what municipality or police jurisdiction the property is in, the date of the requirements, the grandfathering rules, and the last time a permit was pulled, which would have probably eliminated grandfathering. Also it depends on insurance company requirements, even if local code does not require. Cheaper rates usually translate to more stringent requirements for safety standards. Which is how they are able to keep their losses, and their rates, down.
Investor · Arizona & Oregon Coast · Member since 2023 · 128 posts · 113 votes
2y
I will only put in the 10 year battery smoke detectors. I write down on them what year they were installed so it is easy to determine if we are close to the end of the 10 years. On top of the potential insurance claim, imagine if someone died because the smoke detector didn't go off. You can have everything you want to protect yourself in the lease but there will be a lawyer out there that will try and say that you are still responsible and not the person that died. That lawsuit would cost more than the building, if you lose, and if you win you will still be out a lot of money; and way more stress than the batteries. I prefer the 10 year battery ones over the hardwired ones. At the end of the 10 years you have to replace the whole unit, but how reliable is any unit after 10 years anyways?
Also @Karl B. never use those Harbor Freight batteries for anything that matters. They are incredibly unreliable and very underpowered. I have tried using some, from time to time, and there are times that they device won't even work because there is not enough energy in the Harbor Freight battery.
I will only put in the 10 year battery smoke detectors. I write down on them what year they were installed so it is easy to determine if we are close to the end of the 10 years. On top of the potential insurance claim, imagine if someone died because the smoke detector didn't go off. You can have everything you want to protect yourself in the lease but there will be a lawyer out there that will try and say that you are still responsible and not the person that died. That lawsuit would cost more than the building, if you lose, and if you win you will still be out a lot of money; and way more stress than the batteries. I prefer the 10 year battery ones over the hardwired ones. At the end of the 10 years you have to replace the whole unit, but how reliable is any unit after 10 years anyways?
Also @Karl B. never use those Harbor Freight batteries for anything that matters. They are incredibly unreliable and very underpowered. I have tried using some, from time to time, and there are times that they device won't even work because there is not enough energy in the Harbor Freight battery.
I never once had an issue with them and they tend to last 1+ year.
Thanks for sharing this. I was not aware that insurance companies could void coverage for this issue. The City of Phoenix has an ordinance that requires smoke detectors to have a 10-year sealed battery. This has become a best practice for all of our homes now regardless of their location.
Same in Oregon 10 year and in bedrooms and hallways plus any room with any type of gas stove or firelace etc.
@Denise Evans This is good to know and I will be checking all of mine. However with all building purchases the first thing I do is install hardwired smokes and CO detector. I don’t spare expense when it comes to the safety of my tenants and my property.
I actually sold a great 3 story building that I could not get adequate fire escapes built on because I did not want the liability of tenants living on the 3rd floor with only one means of egress. (Side by side duplex each unit had 3 stories and bedrooms on the top floor).
Rental Property Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2013 · 136 posts · 101 votes
2y
I think there's more to this story. I've had a building burn to the ground and a fire resulting in partial damages, luckily no one was injured in either. The insurance didn't bother asking or checking once for a smoke detector and whether it was operational. How would the insurance know there was only one smoke detector? What if the owner had replaced the battery and the new one died early? What if the detectors didn't work due to a manufacturer defect and not lapse in replacing batteries? I imagine it's hard to tell from a burnt lump of plastic if the smoke detector was defective, the battery was defective, or if the battery had any juice left. Let's assume the smoke detector was operational, how does that stop a building from burning to the ground? Is the tenant supposed to hear it and put the fire out themselves? What if the tenant wasn't home? I am playing devil's advocate and think this coverage denial can easily be fought in court.
That said, smoke detectors are for the safety of the occupants more than protecting the property from fire damage. It is crucial to ensure they are operational as it could be the difference between a life-or-death situation.
JD, CCIM , Real Estate Broker · Tuscaloosa, AL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
2y
@Ahmad H., Perhaps when questioned by the fire marshal, the tenant told the truth and said they had never replaced the batteries and thought it was the landlord's job to do that.
I’m still fairly new, but not that new to rentals(a few years having a tenant) and I have a couple questions that I’m ashamed to ask because it seems like I’ve been doing bad practices and I should fix them before I continue, but anyways: I live in Pa, so with regards to smoke detectors and CO detectors they have to be replaced every 10 years? And as landlords, we should be doing annual inspections of the working systems within our property ie HVAC checks, filter replacements, smoke detector batteries…etc?
JD, CCIM , Real Estate Broker · Tuscaloosa, AL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
2y
@Derek Bleam It varies with jurisdiction. If you are inside a city limits or police jurisdiction, the inspection department can tell you what is required currently, what is triggered by property updates, and what the exceptions are. Fist confirm you are inside city limit or police jursidiction. I like to schedule a personal meeting, if at all possible, and bring a box of premium doughnts to thank people for their time.
I’m fairly new to real estate, but not that new(I’ve had a tenant for a couple of years), but I have few questions regarding this post that I’m a little ashamed to ask, because it seems like I’ve been doing things wrong with my rental property/tenant I have now and I want to get better and change my habits so I can use the best practices and do things the right way, anyway: I live in PA, I don’t know if laws are different from state to state, but when it comes to smoke detectors and CO we should be replacing those in our rentals every 10 years? As well as doing annual inspections on HVAC systems, make sure detectors are working properly, air filters are changed and just to make sure the tenant is taking care of the property?
I think there's more to this story. I've had a building burn to the ground and a fire resulting in partial damages, luckily no one was injured in either. The insurance didn't bother asking or checking once for a smoke detector and whether it was operational. How would the insurance know there was only one smoke detector? What if the owner had replaced the battery and the new one died early? What if the detectors didn't work due to a manufacturer defect and not lapse in replacing batteries? I imagine it's hard to tell from a burnt lump of plastic if the smoke detector was defective, the battery was defective, or if the battery had any juice left. Let's assume the smoke detector was operational, how does that stop a building from burning to the ground? Is the tenant supposed to hear it and put the fire out themselves? What if the tenant wasn't home? I am playing devil's advocate and think this coverage denial can easily be fought in court.
That said, smoke detectors are for the safety of the occupants more than protecting the property from fire damage. It is crucial to ensure they are operational as it could be the difference between a life-or-death situation.
@Ahmad H. Insurance companies don't work off of reason. They solely work to make sure they don't pay claims and they'll do anything possible to make that happen.
This seems more like insurance fraud (from the insurance carrier). Everything you said above makes complete sense and to think that an insurance company can deny this claim over a smoke detector is garbage.
Life safety is important and needs to be taken seriously. But the bigger issue here lies with the insurance carriers actions. Insurance fraud is really common and it's the insurance companies 95% of the time. If this were my situation I would absolutely take this to court as you had mentioned.
An Alabama client of mine had this experience, but I think it is relevant nationwide. He had smoke detectors in all rental houses. It was the tenant's responsibility to test the batteries periodically and replace them. In at least one house, a tenant of many years had not done that. There was a fire and the house burned to the ground. The insurance company denied coverage because the smoke detector was not operational at the time of the fire. My brother-in-law, a fire marshal, told me that even if the smoke detector is a melted lump of plastic and metal, they can easily determine if it was operational at the time of fire. He said if operational, they will find evidence of soot inside the detector. No soot, not operational, no insurance coverage.
The lesson--the landlord should check all smoke detectors at least annually, and replace all batteries at that time, and invoice the tenant for the expense.
Fire detectors should be checked during inspections.
True story: Fire detectors should’ve been replaced in this one rental property back in 2017!! No one notice until two weeks ago when the alarm went off and the fire department was called. Yet they are still waiting on fire detectors to be put in.