Tenants block/refuse to leave

Tenants block/refuse to leave

Member since 2023 · 24 posts · 12 votes

Hi BP everyone,

Looking for advice from experienced Ohio landlords. I own a duplex where both tenants haven’t paid rent for 5 months. I trusted them too much and they ghosted me and blocked both me and my property manager on Hemlane. 

I posted a 3-day move-out Pay or Quit notice on Sept 24, followed by an expedited eviction notice. Now, the notice already expired and no one respond. After that:

  • Upper tenant said he’ll pay the $5,000 owed on Oct 23 but refuses to leave.
  • Lower tenant messaged on Hemlane asking to stay until Oct 13, with no mention of rent.

I’m worried eviction could take 4–6 months, and I don’t think they’ll pay. I’m considering offering $500 cash-for-keys to get them out quickly and avoid further losses.

Questions:

  1. Anyone here done cash-for-keys in Ohio? How did you handle it safely and legally?
  2. Can I send someone to exchange cash for keys and check the unit for trash or damage?
  3. Any better options before starting the eviction process?

Thanks in advance. Learning this in a hard way and want to make it right! 

3Reply
444 views

Most Popular Reply

Dan H.Pro Member
Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
11mo

I never do cash for keys. I do not desire to reward tenants for poor behavior.

I explain the consequences of an eviction to the tenant. I explain they will have difficulty Renting a quality unit, that I will ding their credit, that I will attempt to garnish their future income to recover what they owe. They believe I will do what I state because I have always done what I told them I would do.

My market has a low vacancy rate. Poor tenants cannot obtain quality housing. My tenant requirements includes no evictions, ever. No excuses accepted

So far with a combination of good screening and good luck, I have never needed to evict a tenant.

When the time comes to evict our first tenant, I will hire the best lawyer and let the expert take care of it. I will add the cost of the eviction to what tenant owes, and if the cost is not recovered I will consider it a cost of doing business.

What I will not do is pay a bad tenant to leave so that another landlord gets stuck with having to deal with a bad tenant that I have rewarded for their poor behavior.

In addition if I paid a tenant to $crew me, it may cause me to lose sleep. Sleep is precious. I would rather not pay the tenant, pay a lawyer, lose some rent but not lose one wink of sleep allowing the bad tenant to get money from me.

Do not do cash for keys.

Good luck

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · North Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11mo

    @Elsa Hsu

    I think you are past the cash for keys option. Cash for keys is best suited for honest tenants who are a little behind on their rent. Tenants who have not paid rent for six months and have not communicated with you should be evicted. I think it is clear that they are not paying rent, and they are not leaving. Why hasn't your property manager already evicted them? 

    • Member since 2023 · 24 posts · 12 votes
      11mo

      @Charles Carillo I think part of it it's my problem. I trusted them too much and they always tell me a problem here and there so I always say yes to their request. 
      thanks for your advice though. I really need to hear the advice from all of you. 

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    11mo

    Start the eviction process.  If both of them have ghosted you and not paid rent, they don't deserve any more chances.  You have a PM-let them do their job and get rid of the tenants now.

  • Alfath AhmedBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11mo
    Quote from @Elsa Hsu:

    Hi BP everyone,

    Looking for advice from experienced Ohio landlords. I own a duplex where both tenants haven’t paid rent for 5 months. I trusted them too much and they ghosted me and blocked both me and my property manager on Hemlane. 

    I posted a 3-day move-out Pay or Quit notice on Sept 24, followed by an expedited eviction notice. Now, the notice already expired and no one respond. After that:

    • Upper tenant said he’ll pay the $5,000 owed on Oct 23 but refuses to leave.
    • Lower tenant messaged on Hemlane asking to stay until Oct 13, with no mention of rent.

    I’m worried eviction could take 4–6 months, and I don’t think they’ll pay. I’m considering offering $500 cash-for-keys to get them out quickly and avoid further losses.

    Questions:

    1. Anyone here done cash-for-keys in Ohio? How did you handle it safely and legally?
    2. Can I send someone to exchange cash for keys and check the unit for trash or damage?
    3. Any better options before starting the eviction process?

    Thanks in advance. Learning this in a hard way and want to make it right! 


    I have a very good attorney that I use for evictions that I can share. I am evicting 3 tenants right now from a 4-unit that I bought last month to do a BRRRR on. It's not worth the hassle unless they are an honest tenant. I just pay $500 to $600 per eviction and let the courts take care of it.

    If they care about not having an eviction on their record, then they will leave before set-out.

  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    11mo

    I never do cash for keys. I do not desire to reward tenants for poor behavior.

    I explain the consequences of an eviction to the tenant. I explain they will have difficulty Renting a quality unit, that I will ding their credit, that I will attempt to garnish their future income to recover what they owe. They believe I will do what I state because I have always done what I told them I would do.

    My market has a low vacancy rate. Poor tenants cannot obtain quality housing. My tenant requirements includes no evictions, ever. No excuses accepted

    So far with a combination of good screening and good luck, I have never needed to evict a tenant.

    When the time comes to evict our first tenant, I will hire the best lawyer and let the expert take care of it. I will add the cost of the eviction to what tenant owes, and if the cost is not recovered I will consider it a cost of doing business.

    What I will not do is pay a bad tenant to leave so that another landlord gets stuck with having to deal with a bad tenant that I have rewarded for their poor behavior.

    In addition if I paid a tenant to $crew me, it may cause me to lose sleep. Sleep is precious. I would rather not pay the tenant, pay a lawyer, lose some rent but not lose one wink of sleep allowing the bad tenant to get money from me.

    Do not do cash for keys.

    Good luck

    • Member since 2023 · 24 posts · 12 votes
      11mo

      @Dan H. 
      thanks Dan. I will remember what you said. Don't they them screw me and be firm. I will start eviction and find an attorney right away. 
      I will say this property it's a big lesson for me to learn. 
      Also learn from you. Thank you 

  • David PeschioBusiness Member
    Richmond, VA · Member since 2019 · 358 posts · 181 votes
    11mo

    Your PM should have started the delinquency process on the first month and continued on to eviction immediately after that.  Never allow that many months to go by without the process being started.

  • Investor · Sugar Land, TX · Member since 2014 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    11mo

    @Dan H.

    As landlords, we are in business to make money. If you would rather pay an attorney to file the eviction papers, then pay the attorney to represent you in court, then pay the court filing fees and eviction fees, and then having to wait thru the process for weeks if not months before the court gives a final eviction date???

    All because you have some moral code that you don’t pay tenants for “bad behavior”, really?

    Easy is best. Quicker is better. Faster removal means less damage because you piss off your tenants having to go to court? Faster removal means you lease the property sooner.

    If cash for keys works, then do it!

    • Dan H.Pro Member
      Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Mickey Mixon:

      @Dan H.

      As landlords, we are in business to make money. If you would rather pay an attorney to file the eviction papers, then pay the attorney to represent you in court, then pay the court filing fees and eviction fees, and then having to wait thru the process for weeks if not months before the court gives a final eviction date???

      All because you have some moral code that you don’t pay tenants for “bad behavior”, really?

      Easy is best. Quicker is better. Faster removal means less damage because you piss off your tenants having to go to court? Faster removal means you lease the property sooner.

      If cash for keys works, then do it!


      You missed my point.  my point is cash for keys encourages more cash for keys and ends up costing LLs more in the long run. 

      Both my tenants who explicitly asked for cash to exit mentioned that they had previously received cash for keys.   I explained I do not do cash for keys and that I will do everything I can to collect what is owed and make sure the eviction is public making it hard for them to get another quality unit (in my market if you have an eviction you will only be able to rent slumlord units).  Both times the tenant has moved out because they know I will, pay the best lawyer I can find to make it happen.  We have never paid a bad tenant to move out.

      By the way tenant's talk to each other. Do you think you can pay cash for keys without the other tenants knowing you did this? Maybe if Al, your units are SFH, but not likely in MF.

      Seeing we have had 100s of tenants over the ~50 years my family has had rentals and have yet to pay cash for keys to a bad tenant, I will still be ahead the first time I will need to pay a lawyer versus having paid tenants to leave.

      I agree that the low vacancy rate and tough tenant screening criteria of my market plays a favorable role. 

      However, paying bad tenants to leave encourages the behavior and expectation.  I will not be encouraging this behavior.   so far it has worked perfect for me.

      I will continue to advocate that LL have the fortitude to not pay poor tenants to leave.  This encouraging of this behavior increases the expectation for cash for keys which ends up increasing LL costs.

      Sometimes you need to lose a battle to win the war.  I care less that one eviction may cost more than going the cash for keys route.

      best wishes

    • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Mickey Mixon:

      @Dan H.

      As landlords, we are in business to make money. If you would rather pay an attorney to file the eviction papers, then pay the attorney to represent you in court, then pay the court filing fees and eviction fees, and then having to wait thru the process for weeks if not months before the court gives a final eviction date???

      All because you have some moral code that you don’t pay tenants for “bad behavior”, really?

      Easy is best. Quicker is better. Faster removal means less damage because you piss off your tenants having to go to court? Faster removal means you lease the property sooner.

      If cash for keys works, then do it!

       Rent's prolly like $1,500/mo. 4 month eviction process would be $6k in free rent for the squatter....You think this scumbag squatter is just gonna move out for $500???

  • Member since 2025 · 242 posts · 98 votes
    11mo

    @Elsa Hsu Tough spot - sorry you’re dealing with that. Cash for keys can work well if handled with a written agreement and photos confirming condition at turnover. Have the exchange documented, ideally with a witness or property manager present. If they refuse, proceed quickly with formal eviction so the clock doesn’t reset. Hope you get it resolved smoothly.

  • Corby GoadeBusiness Member
    Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11mo

    I'm confused- if you have a property manager, why are you involved in this at all? You posted notice and they've "blocked" your property manager? 

    Seems like a mess, but if you've served notice (legally) and it's expired, you file for eviction first thing tomorrow morning. 

    Trust me- there's not point in negotiating with these tenants now. It won't get better and they already know that they have you and your PM wrapped around their fingers. No offense, but they already know how the play this game and you are just now learning the rules. The more you talk to them and wait for money that will never come, the longer this will drag out and the more bold they will become. 

    File for eviction, don't accept any funds from either one of them. You need to hire a tenant/landlord attorney asap and let them do their thing. 

    Best of luck!

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    11mo

    @Elsa Hsu either you:

    1) Have the wrong PMC who doesn't know/care what they are doing.
    - Did you hire a flat-fee PMC that gets paid monthly no matter what?

    2) Are too nice and are stopping your PMC from doing their job.
    - Hope you've learned your lesson!

    Neither of your tenants are going to pay. 

    THEY have trained YOU and will continue to try to take advantage of you! That is what YOU have taught them:(

    Hire an expert to handle evicting both these tenants and just observe & learn - do NOT interfere.

    Cash-for-Keys: ONLY PAY ONCE THEY VACATE! The tenants will plead that they need the funds to move, but then they will NOT move.

  • Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11mo

    Evictions in the greater akron areas where we operate take 5-7 weeks.

  • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11mo
    Quote from @Elsa Hsu:

    Hi BP everyone,

    Looking for advice from experienced Ohio landlords. I own a duplex where both tenants haven’t paid rent for 5 months. I trusted them too much and they ghosted me and blocked both me and my property manager on Hemlane. 

    I posted a 3-day move-out Pay or Quit notice on Sept 24, followed by an expedited eviction notice. Now, the notice already expired and no one respond. After that:

    • Upper tenant said he’ll pay the $5,000 owed on Oct 23 but refuses to leave.
    • Lower tenant messaged on Hemlane asking to stay until Oct 13, with no mention of rent.

    I’m worried eviction could take 4–6 months, and I don’t think they’ll pay. I’m considering offering $500 cash-for-keys to get them out quickly and avoid further losses.

    Questions:

    1. Anyone here done cash-for-keys in Ohio? How did you handle it safely and legally?
    2. Can I send someone to exchange cash for keys and check the unit for trash or damage?
    3. Any better options before starting the eviction process?

    Thanks in advance. Learning this in a hard way and want to make it right! 

    Hey Elsa, sorry you’re going through that — it’s a tough situation, but you’re thinking about it the right way by looking at cash-for-keys before a full eviction. I’ve done it here in Columbus a few times, and it can definitely work if you handle it carefully. The key is to get everything in writing — a simple agreement stating that you’ll pay them a set amount once they’ve fully vacated, turned in the keys, and left the property in acceptable condition. Always do the exchange in person (or have someone you trust do it) and only hand over the cash after you’ve confirmed they’ve actually moved out and the place isn’t trashed. In Ohio, the courts are pretty landlord-friendly, but evictions can still take time depending on the county, so cash-for-keys can save you months of lost rent and headaches. I moved from Portland to Columbus back in 2020 and now own 10+ rentals here, and I’ve found that being firm but fair usually gets better results than dragging things through court. Columbus especially has strong rental demand, so once they’re out, you’ll have no problem filling those units quickly. Happy to connect and answer any questions you have!

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    11mo
    Quote from @Elsa Hsu:

    Hi BP everyone,

    Looking for advice from experienced Ohio landlords. I own a duplex where both tenants haven’t paid rent for 5 months. I trusted them too much and they ghosted me and blocked both me and my property manager on Hemlane. 

    I posted a 3-day move-out Pay or Quit notice on Sept 24, followed by an expedited eviction notice. Now, the notice already expired and no one respond. After that:

    • Upper tenant said he’ll pay the $5,000 owed on Oct 23 but refuses to leave.
    • Lower tenant messaged on Hemlane asking to stay until Oct 13, with no mention of rent.

    I’m worried eviction could take 4–6 months, and I don’t think they’ll pay. I’m considering offering $500 cash-for-keys to get them out quickly and avoid further losses.

    Questions:

    1. Anyone here done cash-for-keys in Ohio? How did you handle it safely and legally?
    2. Can I send someone to exchange cash for keys and check the unit for trash or damage?
    3. Any better options before starting the eviction process?

    Thanks in advance. Learning this in a hard way and want to make it right! 


    Delaying filing the eviction ain't gonna make the eviction go any quicker. File the eviction ASAP.
    • Member since 2023 · 24 posts · 12 votes
      11mo
      Quote from @James Wise: 

      Thanks James.

      I listened to your advice and found an attorney to start the eviction process.

       I just learned that "Hemlane" is only a property management system, not an actual local property manager, so they can’t represent me in the eviction process. That means I don’t have a local PM who can serve as the Local Agent in Charge on the eviction file.
       However, another issue came up today — the basement is flooded, and the tenant contacted the Hemlane repairing bot system for help but is still blocking me from all direct communication. 

    • Member since 2023 · 24 posts · 12 votes
      11mo
      Quote from @James Wise:
      Quote from @Elsa Hsu:

      Hi BP everyone,

      Looking for advice from experienced Ohio landlords. I own a duplex where both tenants haven’t paid rent for 5 months. I trusted them too much and they ghosted me and blocked both me and my property manager on Hemlane. 

      I posted a 3-day move-out Pay or Quit notice on Sept 24, followed by an expedited eviction notice. Now, the notice already expired and no one respond. After that:

      • Upper tenant said he’ll pay the $5,000 owed on Oct 23 but refuses to leave.
      • Lower tenant messaged on Hemlane asking to stay until Oct 13, with no mention of rent.

      I’m worried eviction could take 4–6 months, and I don’t think they’ll pay. I’m considering offering $500 cash-for-keys to get them out quickly and avoid further losses.

      Questions:

      1. Anyone here done cash-for-keys in Ohio? How did you handle it safely and legally?
      2. Can I send someone to exchange cash for keys and check the unit for trash or damage?
      3. Any better options before starting the eviction process?

      Thanks in advance. Learning this in a hard way and want to make it right! 


      Delaying filing the eviction ain't gonna make the eviction go any quicker. File the eviction ASAP.

       Just did. 
      I listened to your advice and found an attorney to start the eviction process.

    • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Elsa Hsu:
      Quote from @James Wise: 

      Thanks James.

      I listened to your advice and found an attorney to start the eviction process.

       I just learned that "Hemlane" is only a property management system, not an actual local property manager, so they can’t represent me in the eviction process. That means I don’t have a local PM who can serve as the Local Agent in Charge on the eviction file.
       However, another issue came up today — the basement is flooded, and the tenant contacted the Hemlane repairing bot system for help but is still blocking me from all direct communication. 


      When you hire an actual property manager you can have all of this taken care of for you. Local Agent in Charge, Eviction, Attorneys, Basement Flooding, etc....Gonna cost you a pretty penny for all this b/s you have going on though. You seem like you're really cheap, maybe this cluster F has beat that out of you. If so, that's the correct step to take.

  • Real Estate Broker · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 187 posts · 117 votes
    11mo

    Hi Elsa,

    My first question is why are you dealing with these tenants directly when you have a property manager?  

    The first thing you need to do is fire your prop manager, get a lawyer and start the eviction process then start over with a new property manager.  Please vet the new prop manager so you don't have this problem again.

  • Patrick O'SullivanBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2024 · 529 posts · 201 votes
    11mo

    Sorry you are dealing with this, Elsa. It sounds like a tough situation. If the tenants have already ignored notices and blocked communication, it might be best to move forward with the eviction and get an attorney involved. Cash for keys can work in some cases, but only if there is trust and a clear agreement.

    Ohio courts are generally landlord-friendly, and while the process can take some time, filing now gets the clock started. If your PM hasn’t acted sooner, it might be worth reevaluating that relationship, too.

    You are handling a hard situation with a good attitude. Stay focused, you'll resolve this soon.

    get MULTIfamily Property Management4.7220 Reviews
    • Member since 2023 · 24 posts · 12 votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Patrick O'Sullivan:

      Sorry you are dealing with this, Elsa. It sounds like a tough situation. If the tenants have already ignored notices and blocked communication, it might be best to move forward with the eviction and get an attorney involved. Cash for keys can work in some cases, but only if there is trust and a clear agreement.

      Ohio courts are generally landlord-friendly, and while the process can take some time, filing now gets the clock started. If your PM hasn’t acted sooner, it might be worth reevaluating that relationship, too.

      You are handling a hard situation with a good attitude. Stay focused, you'll resolve this soon.


      Thank you so much! 
      I think I will work on both at the same time- try Cash for Key agreement and also filing the eviction at the same time. 

    • Patrick O'SullivanBusiness Member
      Property Manager · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2024 · 529 posts · 201 votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Elsa Hsu:
      Quote from @Patrick O'Sullivan:

      Sorry you are dealing with this, Elsa. It sounds like a tough situation. If the tenants have already ignored notices and blocked communication, it might be best to move forward with the eviction and get an attorney involved. Cash for keys can work in some cases, but only if there is trust and a clear agreement.

      Ohio courts are generally landlord-friendly, and while the process can take some time, filing now gets the clock started. If your PM hasn’t acted sooner, it might be worth reevaluating that relationship, too.

      You are handling a hard situation with a good attitude. Stay focused, you'll resolve this soon.


      Thank you so much! 
      I think I will work on both at the same time- try Cash for Key agreement and also filing the eviction at the same time. 

      Hi Elsa,

      Glad to hear you've found an attorney and are getting the eviction process started! That's a huge step forward.

      Since you're proceeding with both eviction and cash for keys, just make sure your attorney is looped in on the flooding situation and any potential cash for keys agreement. They can ensure you're covered on all fronts, especially since the tenant is still blocking communication.

      You're taking the right actions now. Keep pushing forward!

      get MULTIfamily Property Management4.7220 Reviews
  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    11mo

    Wow. As already noted you seriously need to fire your PM unless you have some kind of odd do-it-yourself PM setup (in which case, why do you even need a PM?). I would take a good look at your contract with your PM because if it's any kind of professional contract there's a reasonably good chance they are grossly negligent by allowing the tenants to become 5 months delinquent without taking action, in which case I would take action against the PM as well to recover some of those funds. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Real Estate Agent · Cleveland OH · Member since 2015 · 213 posts · 275 votes
    11mo

    I would only offer cash for keys if they will hand over keys in a week.   Otherwise, Ohio is relatively landlord friendly.   If they are blocking your PM and ignoring you, there is a good chance they will ignore an eviction filing.  If the tenants do not show you win.   Hire an attorney and file. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Cleveland OH · Member since 2015 · 213 posts · 275 votes
    11mo

    Drew Sygit is absolutely correct.  You have trained your tenants that you can be manipulated.   I would guarantee that they are speaking to each other to find out what works.  The usual  progression is failure to pay rent, if you are not strict on this policy or post a 3 day notice and do not follow up by actually filing for eviction the next action will be to not pay at all or make small random payments.  You need to block payments today.  The next tactic will be to find something wrong with the rental.   Unless it is a safety hazard this is just more noise.    I evict in Cleveland which is tenant friendly and when I post a three day notice I include a letter giving them contacts numbers for legal aid.  The court in Cleveland always will delay to allow a tenant to obtain legal representation and if the tenant has children it is free.   I then describe what evidence I plan to present, "to save time in court ".   I encourage them to provide this information to their legal representation.   A court magistrate agreed that this was a good plan to minimize delays.   

  • John MorganPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Grand Prairie, TX · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11mo

    @Elsa Hsu

    I’m 0-1 with cash for keys. I only offered $500. I should have offered 2k. I’d just file for eviction and stop all communication. They will lie to you. Don’t trust anything they say. Good luck. I just filed for eviction on one yesterday. She communicates well, but I’m not running a charity. Don’t let these people get a few weeks behind on rent on you, otherwise you’ll lose 2 or 3 months of rent by the time you get them out with an eviction.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.