• Tampa, FL
Votes |
Tenant breaking lease

Jon S.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Posted Oct 12 2016, 09:29
A tenant owes partial rent and late fees from prior month. Rent is due Oct 10th, last night she informed me she is breaking the lease and asked if she could ride out the month of Oct, promising to be out by Nov 1, and asked if she could use her security deposit to pay for that. I'd like suggestions from experienced landlords on the best way to handle this. The apartment was fully renovated 1 year ago, granite counters, tile floors, full renovation, she was first tenant, so I want this to go smoothly and get a nice apt back in one piece. On the other hand she's been late on rent 70% of time, owes back rent, and is breaking lease. As of today she owes $1390. Lease ends Dec 9th. Rent is $950, includes water and electricity. Another $10 is charged monthly for pest control. The deposit is $950. She accumulated $50 in prior late rent, $30 in prior late pest control, and $245 in prior late fees, totaling -$325. On Oct 10th another $960 rent and pest control was due. On Oct 12th, another $100 late fee was charged plus continuing $5/day late fee, bringing current back rent and late fees to -$1390. Of that -$1390, $1040 is rent, $350 is late fees, but lease defines late fees as rent. Here is a copy of her note to me last night: Good evening john, I have to move out and break my lease early. I had and emergency with my family help and I have to move with my mom to help with every thing. I apologize for the short notice I will be out by the end of October I was wondering if u could use my deposit towards the rent and I pay the res t of it in installments. I will have it typed up so we can both get it signed and notarized so it'd officially I will clean up and mow the lawn. If you c an grant me the time so I can pack and move I will be out before Nov 1st. I am at work at this present time so if u could text me with a response I woul d greatly appreciate it

Loading replies...