Success with previously evicted tenants? Anyone?

Success with previously evicted tenants? Anyone?

Investor · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2016 · 135 posts · 42 votes

Has ANYONE out there actually had a successful experience with tenants who have had an eviction previously?

I pre-screen my tenants by saying "Total household income has to be 3x rent, no pets, smokers or evictions."

This was a sweet couple who drove by while I was working in the kitchen of the property. They called the number on my sign, so I let them come in. They had wanted to live in this house for more than a year when there was a FSBO sign in the yard, but couldn't buy. (That's how I got it) So they were all giddy that it was for rent now and that they were actually standing in the house.

They have 3 little girls, just like me. They were good on all the pre-screening requirements, except... "We were in an apartment and all of a sudden when the tenants above us took a shower, our bathroom filled with their water. I called the PM for 2 months, then finally just stopped paying rent."

They pledged their allegiance to the United States of my rent if I would just give them a chance. 

I told them they're welcome to apply and I'll review their application and make a decision. She also, before all of that, asked if she could give me her deposit today... they were very excited about this particular house. 

After they left, she texted me:

(1/2) WE ARE ASKING THAT YOU PLEASE GIVE US A CHANCE IN YOUR HOME

WE REALLY LOVE THE HOUSE AND WE WOULD LOVE TO RAISE OUR 3 DAUGHTERS IN THIS HOME

ALL WE ARE(2/2) ASKING IS FOR A CHANCE I PROMISE WE WILL NOT FAIL YOU WE WILL HAVE YOUR RENT ON TIME EVERY MONTH WE PROMISE

LOOK FORWARD TO DOING BUSINESS WITH YOU SOON.

............. would anybody concede?

Also.... this is my first rental. 

0Reply
68 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Monroe, WI · Member since 2015 · 691 posts · 610 votes
9y

They seem desperate. Sounds like a bad idea to me.

See this reply in the discussion

44 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Riverside, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    I don't know your state, but if they stopped paying the rent and ended up in eviction court over it, once they told the judge their ceiling is leaking and the PM has ignored all requests to repair it, I would imagine the judge would have thrown out the eviction. So, if their story is true, they wouldn't have the eviction on their record.

    However, if your state laws favor the landlord, he may have ignored ruled for the plaintiff. 

    I have leased to people with evictions, but I only do so if their story checks out and I never go with the "I lost my job and am too good to get another job that pays less." losers.

  • Engineer · Portland, OR · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    I wouldn't even place a for rent sign or deal with drive by randoms. Those tend to be a bad lot. Just list on the internet before you get emotionally attached to problem renters desperately texting you at your personal number. Don't make a noob mistake even worse by renting to them.
  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    If you have other people interested do not even bother with candidates that have evictions.

  • Madisonville, LA · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    I think an interesting point can be been raised here and maybe I missed it in another's post.  In regards  to charging higher rents and higher security deposits based off of a persons eviction history - is this legal? This may be dependent on the state as well. I would certainly want to charge more based off of risk but would be hesitant without fully understanding the law. 

  • Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2017 · 39 posts · 13 votes
    9y

    What is Your Policy ? Nothing else matters until you Decide 1st

  • New Orleans, LA · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 0 votes
    9y
    I agree 100% with Chris T. Find out all of the facts before you take her deposit. We check their credit, contact previous landlords, and ask for references. It's a process but it's well worth the time. Good luck!
  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2015 · 503 posts · 504 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @TJ Hudson:

    I think an interesting point can be been raised here and maybe I missed it in another's post.  In regards  to charging higher rents and higher security deposits based off of a persons eviction history - is this legal? This may be dependent on the state as well. I would certainly want to charge more based off of risk but would be hesitant without fully understanding the law. 

     I don't know either, but it would not surprise me if more tenant-friendly environments (SF, NYC...) have anti-discrimination laws that mean you have to tread very carefully when charging higher rents and deposits. I've seen proposals that criminal record can't be used to disqualify an applicant (not sure if it ever passed), so anything is possible. I do know that in Massachusetts, the security deposit can't be more than one month's rent, and it cannot be kept as last month's rent if a tenant fails to pay. In fact, the laws on security deposits in MA are so onerous that many landlords in that state choose not to collect one at all. 

    The OP is in Alabama, where I suspect the laws are more landlord-friendly. 

  • Investor · Santa Cruz, CA · Member since 2016 · 71 posts · 39 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @James Rodgers:

     I called the PM for 2 months, then finally just stopped paying rent."

    What exactly happened then? 

    They stopped paying and moved out? Or got a 3 day notice? Or got an unlawful detainer? How long did they stay there without paying? Did the LL get a judgment?

    Simple question for the landlord: how much money do they owe you? 

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    You can't always be the "nice guy" otherwise people will walk all over you. Personally, I will take someone with an eviction older than 5 years, but also look at their credit history. If they have more than $2,000 worth of judgements, especially a lot of judgements, they aren't good with money and things will not work out.

  • Investor · Union, NJ · Member since 2011 · 838 posts · 295 votes
    9y

    Question.....  Where do they currently live and why are they moving? I would inquire with current landlord as to their track record with paying rent on time Etc.....

    Although I believe in second chances, an eviction is a big deal and you would really have to dig and do your due diligence and be satisfied that they would pay their rent on time before renting to them....

    good luck,

    Chris

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    9y

    here is a recent thread with similar topic:

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/52/topics/458...

  • Deborah BurianPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 412 votes
    9y

    Never ever have I had luck with a previous evictee.  And for all the reasons you are listing above, I have tried it more than once. DON'T DO IT

  • Rental Property Investor · Brimfield, MA · Member since 2017 · 43 posts · 53 votes
    9y

    So far I've never had to deal with someone with an eviction, but from everything I've soaked up from the podcasts, blogs and forums her on BP, I will stay true to my leasing requirements and say NO.  Learn from others mistakes, this is not a "nice guy" endeavor.  Maybe you'll pass on someone that has changed their ways but why roll the dice?  Its cheaper to let a unit stay vacant for a few months than to lease to a bad tenant.

  • Rental Property Investor · Seminole, FL · Member since 2014 · 85 posts · 68 votes
    9y

    @Anthony Gayden

    I like the idea of doing the opposite of crowds.  Might be worth a test :)

  • Member since 2023 · 1 post · 0 votes
    3y

    Here's an unsolicited renter's perspective:

    I have one prior eviction in my rental history due to life situations beyond my control from 2021. Life happens. And sometimes it happens hard! My cosigner (and ex), had an affair, skipped out on our lease and drained my bank account to fund the new lifestyle. I moved from Michigan to Birmingham with nothing. 

    Now try to reconcile the idea that a man who works his *** off on a daily basis, trying to regain some sense of dignity, has to clock out after working 9 to 11 hours everyday just to sleep in a coworker's basement. None of the preconceived ideas of someone with an eviction and poor credit score applies to me. I'm neither lazy nor irresponsible. I have steady decent income. I dont even have government assistance. And yet I'm damned to perpetually work hard just to be homeless. 

    So, I'm curious; what would those of you with the capability to effect change in situations like mine (lacking the willingness to do so) suggest someone like myself do?

  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    When prospects are this motivated it's usually because they think they have a chance.

    From our 23+ years of experience, it sounds like these prospects are specifically targeting a DIY landlord they can get to believe their cry story.

    If you want to entertain them, highly recommend the following:

    1) Require them to produce the letters and pics they should have sent to the PMC about the apartment damages.

    2) Contact the previous apartment PMC to verify their story. Do NOT use any phone number the prospects give you, look up the number online or driveby to get their actual phone number.

    3) Require the prospects to put their entire story in writing.

    4) Contact their landlord previous to the apartment.

    If the prospects start claiming/complaining they can't find info or are in a hurry to move, deny them.

    Logical Property Management4.9454 Reviews
  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    @Willie Knowles Have as much documentation as you can regarding the situation. Plead your case.   Some landlords will consider you if you have satisfied previous judgements. Many boarding house or similar places do not run checks or care if they did.  Much of what previous people have suggested would be where you could go, making the case that if it is in the distant past, being willing to pay a higher deposit. 

  • John MorganPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Grand Prairie, TX · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    @James Rodgers

    I have 7 tenants that have been evicted before. They have all be great and some of my best tenants. And I don’t see them leaving for many years, if ever. We’ve all made mistakes in life and have learned from them. I go by my gut feeling with people and if they tell me the truth up front. I tell them I’ll be doing background checks on them. And ask if they have any felonies or evictions. Then take them case by case.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.