Tenant Applicants say the dumbest things

Tenant Applicants say the dumbest things

Real Estate Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2010 · 37 posts · 326 votes

Stupid things Tenant Applicant’s say.

I had renovated a nice 4/3/2 and put it on the market for lease. Here are some of the comments from people who toured the property during the open house or called me from signage.

#1
Young single mother with 3yr old in tow. “My boyfriend will be paying the rent, he said to just go find a place, but I want to rent it in my name, so it will be mine alone.”
I’m thinking: I’m not renting to someone without the verified income to pay the rent. Sorry but a promise from a boyfriend just won’t do.
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25 but you should know that I will need to verify income and whoever is paying will need to be on the application and lease.

#2
Middle aged couple with no kids. Wife says “I don’t like the wood floors. If you can put down carpet and repaint to something brighter, we’d be interested. Also you will need to replace the stove.”
I’m thinking: The wood floors are new laminate that I just spent $1400 and two days installing. The paint is all new also. If you want to remodel a house, go buy one yourself.
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25. The property is being rented in its newly remodeled condition.

#3
Family. Made appointment and met me at house. Husband says “I need a 3 car garage.”
I’m thinking: The 2 in 4/3/2 stands for TWO car garage. Plus the photos show it’s a two car garage, so why are you here wasting my time and yours? Did you think I was hiding a third garage bay in the back yard?
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25. This house only has a two car garage.

#4
Very young guy, young 20’s maybe, called me from sign in yard. He’s parked at house. Says: “ I need a big place for my girlfriend and our 3 month old since we want to have more kids. Could you help me out and rent it to me for $xxx” (about ½ the rental rate).
I’m thinking: So you’re requesting that I contribute half your rent so you can have more kids that you can’t house and support.
I’m saying: I’m happy to provide an application. The application fee is $25. Sorry the rental rate is firm.
.

294Reply
26,872 views

Most Popular Reply

Don KonipolBusiness Member
Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
14y

Last year I was renting a high end high rise condo - rent $1800 per month. A guy asked if I could give him the first 6 months free and waive the security deposit, after he found a job he would make double payments the second 6 months.

Had a tenant a few years back that signed a 12 month lease. always paid her rent on time. The lease of course becomes a month to month if she stays on. I asked her if she desired to renew the lease at expiration, or would she be moving. She said that since she fullfilled her lease obligation by paying 12 months rent she would stay on. She honestly believed that once she paid 12 months rent the apartment was hers for free for as long as she wanted!

But the best one was the tenant that always had an excuse for late rent. One month he told me he had sent the check in on the 2nd, of course I had not received it by the 5th. When I did receive it it was dated the 6th. Called the tenant and told him if he was going to lie at least pre date the check.
The next month I send the tenant an invoice for the rent, late fee, plus $250. The tenant calls and asks what the additional $250 is for. I told him it was a "lying fee". A couple days later I received the rent, late fee, and an additional $500. Called the tenant to ask why he sent an additional $500. He said he knew he would lie to me again in the future so he was prepaying an additional lying fee! BTW, although he is no longer a tenant and hasn't been for some time, he is now a friend. The entertainment value of this guy far outweighted the aggravation.

Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
See this reply in the discussion

1572 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Deland, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Arnie Guida:

    My late fee is $40 after 5 days.

    "If we pay it 5 days early is the rent $40 less?"

    Maybe it isn't dumb, but I thought it was kinda phunny...

     We actually don't have a late fee.  

    We reduce the rent by $50 - $100 if they pay at least 5 days early. 

    The reality of it is the rent is $50-$100 higher than comps but people always think they will pay early.  And actually most do.  

    So they pay market rate we dont worry about late rent. Or having to collect late fe s or possibly running afoul if the law

  • Deland, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Baxter Stegall:
    Originally posted by @Alvin Taylor:
    Originally posted by @Jason C.:

    Heard this one yesterday-

    "I'm not sure what my previous landlord will say about me when you call him, since we accidentally burned his house down."

     I think this was the best so far.

    I had a tenant catch a rental on fire and have the audacity to ask if they would get their security deposit and rent for the month back....while the fire department was still there!

    As far as applicant silliness...I could literally write a book, and I am seriously considering it. I've forgot more stories than I can remember, but this thread is bringing them back.  

    My company owns a multi-family building that used to have a large sign in front of it saying "1BR efficiency, W/D connections, water/sewer included", or something to that effect.  

    I had so many prospectives call and swear the sign said that we paid for ALL utilities that I began offering to meet people at the sign, and if they could show me where the sign said we paid all utilities, I would give them the apartment free for a year.  

    I eventually took the sign down because the arguments got old.  And no one ever showed up when I challenged them despite numerous promises of such.  

    We get regular calls about wanting to rent a 1BR apartment but the applicant has 3 kids, a husband, and a dog.  We have a strict no pets policy.  We also go by a 2+1 policy that is the unspoken rule in town.  2 people per bedroom + 1 person.  I'm not a big fan of that, but I don't feel like being a test case.  

    A recent applicant checked out okay, came in and paid her deposit, and just disappeared for 3 weeks.  She signed a lease that was to start a few days afterwards but never paid the rent.  After 3 weeks of trying to contact her, I found out where she lied on her application (we have language saying any lie is grounds for disqualification in the app and lease).  She finally answers the phone and I tell her we cannot rent to her based on her absence and the lies.  She has the stones to demand that I give her $200 for her "inconvenience".  I told her she is lucky I don't file for an eviction based on non-payment.  She went away quietly and quickly.  I refunded her deposit immediately. 

    Another recent applicant applied and did not meet our rental criteria.  We require 3x rent, clean criminal/credit/etc.  Less than 24 hours after our call telling her she didn't meet the criteria, she submitted another application (same DL#, SSN, etc.) but with income that met the 3x rent criteria, actually surpassed it.  

    I've got dozens, of not hundreds, more stories about ridiculous applicants.  Most have been filed away in the back of my head and I'll remember if I see a similar story/experience.  

    You do this for long enough and things get to be tired, but the stories from applicants and tenants are what really keep me coming back.  I love what I do for the crap that I'm told.  I guess I'm a little bit sadistic in that regard.  :)

     No cash -   No signing the lease

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 227 posts · 287 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @George P.:

    They: "my name will change next year"

    us: "Oh, that's goo to know, what's the reason"

    they: "I am transgendering".

    us: 

     I hope that you didn't turn them down just because they're trans.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 227 posts · 287 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Wesley W.:
    Originally posted by @Don Konipol:

    Is this guy from another planet, or is it a "generational" thing?

     Entitlement mentality created by class warfare waged by the previous executive administration.

     Oh come on.

  • Investor · Ogdensburg, WI · Member since 2016 · 273 posts · 351 votes
    9y

    So I get a call on one of my one bedroom apartments...

    Applicant "We need a place asap, you see we are being evicted.. The landlord says he heard goat noises from our apartment..

    I said "well that will do it"

    Applicant, "Well he never seen the goat he just thinks he heard it.."

    I said "I really can't help you"

    I then hang up... Not 5 minutes later phone rings.. It is the same number just a different member of the circus...

    Applicant "Yeah we are interested in your one bedroom apartment" 

    I said "how many will this be for?"

    Applicant " Me my boyfriend, my friend, her boyfriend and their daughter,and my friend is pregnant"

    At this point I figure I might as well run with it to see how messed up this really is..

    I then asked where they all worked..

    Applicant "well our boyfriends are looking for jobs now and my friend can't work because she's pregnant but I am gonna start baysitting as soon as we find a place"

    I then asked if they had any pets.

    Applicant "two small dogs and a pitbull coonhound cross. It's mostly coonhound"

    I then asked if they had any Goats....Without hesitation. "Nope no Goats" I then told them I really couldn't help them.

    They left a message 2 days later letting me know they got rid of the pitbull/coonhound..

    You can't make this up.

  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2016 · 139 posts · 136 votes
    9y

    It's simply fascinating how 3/4 of this country lives. There is no doubt that we are outnumbered, and the wild things we hear, are actually more common than not. 

    There's always some sort of drama llama of why rent isn't paid, always. If I could find a way to collect rent through a MetroPCS, Cricket, or pay as you go mobile company, I would. The mobile phone bill always gets paid, always. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    We are getting that crap. Often I ignore their comments and do not suggest them to be a tenant as they will complain more after moving it. Two years ago I get 30-40 inquires. These days it is harder to find tenants who want to over pay slightly,  The real estate market crazy will cool off in 2018. This is San Francisco Bay area.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    It's simply fascinating how 3/4 of this country lives. There is no doubt that we are outnumbered, and the wild things we hear, are actually more common than not. 

    There's always some sort of drama llama of why rent isn't paid, always. If I could find a way to collect rent through a MetroPCS, Cricket, or pay as you go mobile company, I would. The mobile phone bill always gets paid, always. 

    Hmmm ... maybe you add to your tenant screening criteria that applicants using those mobile phone services will have some sort of adverse action. Maybe you can just exclude them since your history with tenants using those services shows that rent payments become spotty; if excluding them means you won't get many applicants, then maybe there is some other adverse action more suitable, like a guarantor or co-signer required, bigger security deposit, etc.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 227 posts · 287 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Steve Babiak:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    It's simply fascinating how 3/4 of this country lives. There is no doubt that we are outnumbered, and the wild things we hear, are actually more common than not. 

    There's always some sort of drama llama of why rent isn't paid, always. If I could find a way to collect rent through a MetroPCS, Cricket, or pay as you go mobile company, I would. The mobile phone bill always gets paid, always. 

    Hmmm ... maybe you add to your tenant screening criteria that applicants using those mobile phone services will have some sort of adverse action. Maybe you can just exclude them since your history with tenants using those services shows that rent payments become spotty; if excluding them means you won't get many applicants, then maybe there is some other adverse action more suitable, like a guarantor or co-signer required, bigger security deposit, etc.

     I think Jeremy was just saying these tenants care more about paying their phone bill than their housing bill?... 

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Gwen Fyfe:
    Originally posted by @Steve Babiak:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    It's simply fascinating how 3/4 of this country lives. There is no doubt that we are outnumbered, and the wild things we hear, are actually more common than not. 

    There's always some sort of drama llama of why rent isn't paid, always. If I could find a way to collect rent through a MetroPCS, Cricket, or pay as you go mobile company, I would. The mobile phone bill always gets paid, always. 

    Hmmm ... maybe you add to your tenant screening criteria that applicants using those mobile phone services will have some sort of adverse action. Maybe you can just exclude them since your history with tenants using those services shows that rent payments become spotty; if excluding them means you won't get many applicants, then maybe there is some other adverse action more suitable, like a guarantor or co-signer required, bigger security deposit, etc.

     I think Jeremy was just saying these tenants care more about paying their phone bill than their housing bill?... 

    Sure, but I was suggesting that if that behavior bothered him enough, he could screen for that characteristic and thus have less of that behavior.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 227 posts · 287 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Steve Babiak:
    Originally posted by @Gwen Fyfe:
    Originally posted by @Steve Babiak:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    It's simply fascinating how 3/4 of this country lives. There is no doubt that we are outnumbered, and the wild things we hear, are actually more common than not. 

    There's always some sort of drama llama of why rent isn't paid, always. If I could find a way to collect rent through a MetroPCS, Cricket, or pay as you go mobile company, I would. The mobile phone bill always gets paid, always. 

    Hmmm ... maybe you add to your tenant screening criteria that applicants using those mobile phone services will have some sort of adverse action. Maybe you can just exclude them since your history with tenants using those services shows that rent payments become spotty; if excluding them means you won't get many applicants, then maybe there is some other adverse action more suitable, like a guarantor or co-signer required, bigger security deposit, etc.

     I think Jeremy was just saying these tenants care more about paying their phone bill than their housing bill?... 

    Sure, but I was suggesting that if that behavior bothered him enough, he could screen for that characteristic and thus have less of that behavior.

    Hm. I'm not sure you can realistically screen for that.

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Gwen Fyfe:
    Originally posted by @Steve Babiak:
    Originally posted by @Gwen Fyfe:

     I think Jeremy was just saying these tenants care more about paying their phone bill than their housing bill?... 

    Sure, but I was suggesting that if that behavior bothered him enough, he could screen for that characteristic and thus have less of that behavior.

    Hm. I'm not sure you can realistically screen for that.

    I'm pretty sure Steve had his tongue anchored quite firmly in his cheek :-D

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 227 posts · 287 votes
    9y

    Ahhhhhh. :)

  • Linda WeygantPro Member
    Investor and CPA · Arvada, CO · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    Applicant contacted me 2 weeks ago via a Section 8 referral.  Tours the property and states that she'd like to apply.  

    Hand her an application and we go all the way through the application and background check and I offer her the condo pending Section 8 voucher confirmation.

    Section 8 states that they no longer qualify for voucher because income is too high.

    OK - Verify income and confirm that they meet the income requirements as a regular tenant instead of Section 8.

    Talk to the applicant and confirm a move-in date.  She asks if they can make payments on the Security Deposit.  I say yes (I do this a lot and it's only bitten me once - I know I shouldn't, but I do it anyways).

    She asks if they can bring their dog, I say yes with additional pet rent and security deposit (but why am I just now finding out about the dog???)

    Send them the lease to review and then ask what time they want to get together to sign when I get hit over the head with this gem:

    "Can we sign on Friday and get the keys and then pay you a week later?  We don't have any money."

    I say "let me make sure I have this straight.  You asked for a payment plan on the security deposit, which I generously allowed.  But not only do you not have enough money to make the first payment of the security deposit, you ALSO don't have enough money for the pro-rated rent for this month and you're also pretty much telling me that the rent for next month also won't be paid on time.  Is that right?"

    "Yes"

    "I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to rescind the offer to rent this to you since it would appear that you are unable to honor the terms of the lease."

    "But why?"

    <click>

    **bullet dodged**

  • Investor · Fenton, MI · Member since 2015 · 142 posts · 46 votes
    9y

    Linda,

    I am rolling on the floor with laughter.  That is so funny.  Need to talk soon as we might be selling a property and need to understand 1031 rules.  I will call to discuss.  Just saw this post and had to respond!  hope you find a renter soon.

  • Queen Creek, AZ · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Cory Mccarthy  Good luck on your 1031.  We are in the middle of one and it is a very manageable process.

  • Lauren SpeidelPro Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 164 posts · 119 votes
    9y

    @Cory Mccarthy You are absolutely right! There are a number of requirements you must follow when completing a successful 1031 Exchange transaction. It is important that you not only follow the requirements but also that you enlist the help of a reliable and experienced Qualified Intermediary. I've been handling 1031s for over 10 years. I'll PM you if you'd like to chat.

  • Mount Holly, NC · Member since 2017 · 11 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    #1

    Meeting with a couple to show the house. One is retired military and another is in reserve. Guy is in the living room and grandiosely looks around and says "We're military we take care of our s#%*" Carpet is totally destroyed upon moving out.

    #2

    Meet with a gentleman to show the house. The first words out of his mouth are "I'm going to buy this from you one day!" He starts telling me about all the changes he’s going to make. He can’t buy it for a while because he has to repair his credit.

    One reason I believe I don’t get the deposit assistance questions is because I send back a FAQ to everyone that emails about the property. All the annoying questions are answered there.

    Example:

    Q: Will you help me on the deposit?

    A: No

    Q: How much do I have to make to qualify?

    A: Insert 2.5-3% rent here

  • Investor · shawnee oklahoma · Member since 2017 · 194 posts · 148 votes
    9y

    You want to talk about entitlement mentality. Try living in California and being a landlord. LOL

  • Portland, ME · Member since 2012 · 616 posts · 550 votes
    8y

    This isn't really dumb, but sad.  Four times I've been the first to find out about couples I know who are splitting up when one of them sends me a request for a showing of one of my apartments (I don't put my name in the ad so they don't know it's my Craigslist ad).  It just happened again and the wife is one of my friends.  I need to talk to her to make sure she's not blind-sided by his plan to leave.  And they have sweet children.  Sigh....

  • Hailey, ID · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    @Robin Grimes Thanks for sharing! Thats some pretty funny stuff! 

  • Liberty Township, OH · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 8 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Peter B.:

    After showing a place to a guy, he said he would "like an application for his wife" I said sure but all adults need to fill out an application.. He says "Yeah I know. She is the only one moving, she just don't know it yet" I said Oh ok let me know how that works out...

     Obviously this applicant is not the greatest of human beings, but I guess you have to give him props for not leaving her homeless or scrambling to find a place.

  • Rental Property Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2017 · 185 posts · 178 votes
    8y

    I spent three days during my work hours when I wasn't busy reading this. There are too many good stories in hear. Someone PLEASE write a book on all of this haha.

  • Lauren C.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Hamilton Township, NJ · Member since 2012 · 211 posts · 149 votes
    8y

    @Wil Reichard Good idea! That would make a great little coffee table book!

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y

    I just got off the phone calling back potential tenants . NOT 1 answere their phone , all 8 went to voice mail .  So I leave each a detailed message and that I will call them back this evening .

    Phone rings ,  " Somebody called me? "    

    Me  " probably I left a message did you listen to it "

    Her " no who is this "

    Me " did you inquire about renting this house xxxxxx " 

    Now , I get this call while up on a roof fixing a leak for a customer 

    Her " yes , and starts hitting me with questions "

    Me "  I am back working right now , when I get done I will call you back , in a hour or 2 " 

    Now she keeps rambling , so I stop tell my help to be quiet . Tells me she is disabled , needs a ramp , has a service animal , and wants utilities included .

    Me , the ramp is no problem I can have one installed at your expense , service animals are fine with the proper paperwork ,  Sorry but you pay your own utilities . 

    Her  "  you have to provide handicap access , and section 8 says you have to include utilities .

    Me , " Oh sorry this property wont pass a section 8 inspection 

    Her , " then fix it "

    Me , Sorry I am not required to make the steps wider , Oh did you read the entire add this was stated , and the house is on a half acre , you are required to mow the lawn and rake the leaves .

    Her  pissed off now  "  whats the name of your company , Put your boss on the phone  now  " 

    Me " Now listen closely , I am on a roof , I am the boss , I know the rules , you can complain all you want .

    Her " you're an A$$hole " 

    Me " I practice every day , thanks for calling "

    She kept ringing back my phone a couple times  . I ignored the calls

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.