Tenant Applicants say the dumbest things

Tenant Applicants say the dumbest things

Real Estate Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2010 · 37 posts · 326 votes

Stupid things Tenant Applicant’s say.

I had renovated a nice 4/3/2 and put it on the market for lease. Here are some of the comments from people who toured the property during the open house or called me from signage.

#1
Young single mother with 3yr old in tow. “My boyfriend will be paying the rent, he said to just go find a place, but I want to rent it in my name, so it will be mine alone.”
I’m thinking: I’m not renting to someone without the verified income to pay the rent. Sorry but a promise from a boyfriend just won’t do.
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25 but you should know that I will need to verify income and whoever is paying will need to be on the application and lease.

#2
Middle aged couple with no kids. Wife says “I don’t like the wood floors. If you can put down carpet and repaint to something brighter, we’d be interested. Also you will need to replace the stove.”
I’m thinking: The wood floors are new laminate that I just spent $1400 and two days installing. The paint is all new also. If you want to remodel a house, go buy one yourself.
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25. The property is being rented in its newly remodeled condition.

#3
Family. Made appointment and met me at house. Husband says “I need a 3 car garage.”
I’m thinking: The 2 in 4/3/2 stands for TWO car garage. Plus the photos show it’s a two car garage, so why are you here wasting my time and yours? Did you think I was hiding a third garage bay in the back yard?
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25. This house only has a two car garage.

#4
Very young guy, young 20’s maybe, called me from sign in yard. He’s parked at house. Says: “ I need a big place for my girlfriend and our 3 month old since we want to have more kids. Could you help me out and rent it to me for $xxx” (about ½ the rental rate).
I’m thinking: So you’re requesting that I contribute half your rent so you can have more kids that you can’t house and support.
I’m saying: I’m happy to provide an application. The application fee is $25. Sorry the rental rate is firm.
.

294Reply
27,440 views

Most Popular Reply

Don KonipolBusiness Member
Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
14y

Last year I was renting a high end high rise condo - rent $1800 per month. A guy asked if I could give him the first 6 months free and waive the security deposit, after he found a job he would make double payments the second 6 months.

Had a tenant a few years back that signed a 12 month lease. always paid her rent on time. The lease of course becomes a month to month if she stays on. I asked her if she desired to renew the lease at expiration, or would she be moving. She said that since she fullfilled her lease obligation by paying 12 months rent she would stay on. She honestly believed that once she paid 12 months rent the apartment was hers for free for as long as she wanted!

But the best one was the tenant that always had an excuse for late rent. One month he told me he had sent the check in on the 2nd, of course I had not received it by the 5th. When I did receive it it was dated the 6th. Called the tenant and told him if he was going to lie at least pre date the check.
The next month I send the tenant an invoice for the rent, late fee, plus $250. The tenant calls and asks what the additional $250 is for. I told him it was a "lying fee". A couple days later I received the rent, late fee, and an additional $500. Called the tenant to ask why he sent an additional $500. He said he knew he would lie to me again in the future so he was prepaying an additional lying fee! BTW, although he is no longer a tenant and hasn't been for some time, he is now a friend. The entertainment value of this guy far outweighted the aggravation.

Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
See this reply in the discussion

1572 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 50 posts · 15 votes
    9y

    I recently filed for Unlawful Detainer (first step in the eviction process) on a resident.  She agreed to pay verbally on the phone, but was going to let the process go to court anyway where she appeared.  Before the court appearance, she called me and asked for me to explain what she owed.  I mentioned that one of the items was the filing fee with the county court system.

    Her: "Why should I have to pay the filings fees?  You are the one who did the filing, not me."

    Me: "Because you didn't pay your rent!  I didn't want to file on you, but you didn't contact us to work out a payment agreement and most importantly, you didn't pay your rent which is the reason we file on residents in the first place."

    She went to court and myself along my lawyer made a payment agreement with her.  On the day her payment agreement was due, we received a call from the local police department.  She had an undercover officer arrest her for prostitution and asked that we'd evict her.  This was 2 hrs before her first payment was due.  I contacted our lawyer at 1 min past the hour when her payment was due (she had not paid, surprise?) and asked them to file the writ.  Soon the Sheriff will come knocking.

  • Investor · The Creek, WV · Member since 2014 · 890 posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    I have a few low income houses, this one is in KY.

    Couple checks the place out, then asks if I would rent it to them for $450/month. The ad lists it for $600/month, and market rent is $625ish. 

    After telling them no the woman goes on to explain that their last place was similar and they only paid $450/month. I was getting frustrated with them for this and other reasons. I asked her why not just stay at the place for $450/month. Same amount of rooms, similarl houses, mine was just updated.

    She goes on to explain how her and her husband got in a fist fight that made its way into the street and continued until the cops showed up.  The fight was over something that had happened earlier in the night at their job..... The Waffle House.

    I nicely told them the rent was firm and that I would need $1,200 and all utilities switched over into their name before they could move in, if approved.

    That's when I started making my ads a lot more strict and a lot of tenants just weed themselves out.

  • Augusta, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    I had a woman (and her son and his girlfriend) view one of my properties listed for $800.  Husband is a long distance truck driver on the road for weeks at a time.

    They spent the majority of time complaining how their landlord "never fixes anything"; the air conditioning doesn't work right because it's too small for the house, the bathroom ceiling fell in, the door to a kitchen cabinet fell off, etc., etc., etc. etc.,.

    They mention they have a lot of "stuff" (mom likes my kitchen because it has quite a few cabinets) including two large freezers.  Mom states she's a "coupon cutter" which (to me) implies a food hoarder.  I start to get the feeling the house they are renting is big; mine is a 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath so I ask them.

    They are renting a 4 bedroom, 2 bath; one of the bedrooms is a converted garage which may explain the air conditioning issue.   There's a tendency to simply slap up paneling when converting around here, skipping both insulation and ductwork.

    I ask them what rent they are paying.  They say $650 a month.

    And herein lies the issue.    They are paying cheap rent for the number of bedrooms and bathrooms.   Because of this the landlord is really not likely to fork over the big bucks to do something like replace the current HVAC unit that works with a larger unit.   If he did he'd have to increase the rent to reflect the cost of doing so and they'd probably complain about that.

    Gail

  • New Cumberland, PA · Member since 2017 · 15 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Oh my goodness...people are just out there! Thanks for sharing and for the laugh.

  • Linda WeygantPro Member
    Investor and CPA · Arvada, CO · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    Not my applicant, but a post in a Rental Market thread on Facebook.  Please note, this is in the highly competitive, red-hot Denver Market:

    Please help I need to find an apt out of my depressing apt. I found out that, though it's good you can get into a place with a roof over your head, it gets depressing after a while if it's not fitting to your needs. I mean it starts to depress you BAD. The apt I'm in is carpeted ALL OVER. HORRIBLE! I'm allergic to carpets. 

    The apt I'm in has NO DINING AREA AND NO area for a table AT ALL. Horrible if you have to feed 3 messing grandkids almost every weekend an be every holiday and a daughter on occasions. I have to drag out a folding table EVERY TIME they come over, IN THE MIDDLE of the living room mind u. 

    The apt I'm in do not have no good ventilation and I can't afford to utilize the air conditioner and can't afford to buy fans like I would need like 2 more fans in order to help the rooms circulate good cool air. 

    The apt I'm in is not feasible for my cats as they must go in and out because I do not deprive ANY animal of their natural habitat and natural living.

    My criteria:
    •My credit is considered to be fair to good.
    •I have VA Sec8 housing voucher called VASH (For veterans only) It caps off at $850. Can go as high as $950 IF utilities heat and electric is included in the rent.
    The sec8 voucher I carry goes through DOH which is VERY different from DHA. DHA expects the landlord to work with them AND their schedule, while DOH works with you AND around YOUR schedule.
    •I have 2 cats spayed and neutered, both rescued as I DO NOT buy animals.
    (Animals are a life and SHOULD NOT be bought like they some kind of merchandise, decorations or toys. Please do the right thing for animals adopt don't buy).

    What I'm looking for according to my needs:
    •Ground floor with yard or large grassy front and or back
    •Apt must have separate dining area
    •Kitchen must have lots of cabinets or a pantry
    •Kitchen must have good amount of counterspace or have a space for me to place a rectangular table or a portable island.
    •Apt MUST NOT be roach infected. I'm allergic to roach infected places. Plus, unless the bugs are generated infectuous bugs such as bed bugs I do not kill ANY animals.
    •Floor must be wood floor not carpeted.
    •Apt must have w/d or w/d hu
    •Apt must be no more than 3 blocks away from public transportation

    If by any chance by the grace of God have what I'm looking for please let me know.

  • Natalie KolodijBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Tax Strategist| National Tax Educator| Accepting New Clients · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    @Linda Weygant 

    This is....something else. 

    But remember it's the millennials who are wildly entitled. Good grief. 

    My favorite is the lecture on animal rights built in to her demand for high qualify, 1/2 of market rents, apartment. 

  • Linda WeygantPro Member
    Investor and CPA · Arvada, CO · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    Here's how I would re-write that post:

    I am allergic to everything and will freak out at the first discoloration I see.  Doesn't matter if it's mildew or a chocolate stain - I will freak out and call it mold.  Also, I am not actually allergic to carpet, I just don't like it.  I like to say I'm allergic to stuff just to escalate the drama.  If you don't take action on my allergies, I will claim they are a disability.

    My grandchildren are unruly and will probably destroy the place.

    My cats will also probably destroy what the grandkids don't.  If they pee somewhere, I will claim that you are oppressing them.  And me.  Also, when they shred the door jams, they are just doing their natural thing.

    When I trash your house, it will be way more than the deposit and I am pretty much uncollectible.

    If I see a bug, I will freak out, but I will not kill it.  Nor will I let you kill it or do anything other than respect its rights to exist.  But I will demand that you evict all the bugs immediately.

    My cats will poop all over the yard.
    I have a lot of stuff.

    Floor must be hardwood from naturally sourced, sustainable growth forests.  Preferably bamboo.  Paint should be all natural which you did yourself, preferably by just smashing walnuts against the walls.  

  • Natalie KolodijBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Tax Strategist| National Tax Educator| Accepting New Clients · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    @Linda Weygant this made my afternoon lmao 

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Chicago Suburbs, IL · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 594 votes
    9y

    @Linda Weygant wow. Just wow.  Entitlement to the nth degree.  And I agree 100% with your interpretation as well.

  • Augusta, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    I'm not sure why she's worried about roaches.  Her cats should eat them.  That way SHE doesn't have to kill them.

    Gail

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Linda Weygant:

    Not my applicant, but a post in a Rental Market thread on Facebook.  Please note, this is in the highly competitive, red-hot Denver Market:

    Please help I need to find an apt out of my depressing apt. I found out that, though it's good you can get into a place with a roof over your head, it gets depressing after a while if it's not fitting to your needs. I mean it starts to depress you BAD. The apt I'm in is carpeted ALL OVER. HORRIBLE! I'm allergic to carpets. 

    The apt I'm in has NO DINING AREA AND NO area for a table AT ALL. Horrible if you have to feed 3 messing grandkids almost every weekend an be every holiday and a daughter on occasions. I have to drag out a folding table EVERY TIME they come over, IN THE MIDDLE of the living room mind u. 

    The apt I'm in do not have no good ventilation and I can't afford to utilize the air conditioner and can't afford to buy fans like I would need like 2 more fans in order to help the rooms circulate good cool air. 

    The apt I'm in is not feasible for my cats as they must go in and out because I do not deprive ANY animal of their natural habitat and natural living.

    My criteria:
    •My credit is considered to be fair to good.
    •I have VA Sec8 housing voucher called VASH (For veterans only) It caps off at $850. Can go as high as $950 IF utilities heat and electric is included in the rent.
    The sec8 voucher I carry goes through DOH which is VERY different from DHA. DHA expects the landlord to work with them AND their schedule, while DOH works with you AND around YOUR schedule.
    •I have 2 cats spayed and neutered, both rescued as I DO NOT buy animals.
    (Animals are a life and SHOULD NOT be bought like they some kind of merchandise, decorations or toys. Please do the right thing for animals adopt don't buy).

    What I'm looking for according to my needs:
    •Ground floor with yard or large grassy front and or back
    •Apt must have separate dining area
    •Kitchen must have lots of cabinets or a pantry
    •Kitchen must have good amount of counterspace or have a space for me to place a rectangular table or a portable island.
    •Apt MUST NOT be roach infected. I'm allergic to roach infected places. Plus, unless the bugs are generated infectuous bugs such as bed bugs I do not kill ANY animals.
    •Floor must be wood floor not carpeted.
    •Apt must have w/d or w/d hu
    •Apt must be no more than 3 blocks away from public transportation

    If by any chance by the grace of God have what I'm looking for please let me know.

    The "close to transportation" thing is a VASH requirement - Veterans Administration Supportive Housing. Intended to support veterans and their treatment: supportive housing close to where they receive treatment or close to transportation which gets them there. One of the investors in my Renatus group has 36 such units near downtown Joliet.

  • Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2015 · 252 posts · 263 votes
    9y

    Perspective Tenant, guy in his early 20's, wearing expansive clothes, driving a brand new Cadillac with out of state plates. Some tattoos are showing up. After a few compliments and jokes, I am asking about tattoos. Did this one hurt? Let me see. He rolls his sleeves up. Bloods. 

    Me: what do you do?

    PT: I am in sales

    Me: (thinking) I know what kind of sales you are into. (saying) Here is a rental app, but I don't think this house is going to work for you. 

    PT: why not?

    Me: Look at that yard, it is huge, lots of yard work. With your sales job you probably travel a lot. Between your travels and such a beautiful girlfriend, why would you want to spend time doing yard work? Plus being young, you probably want to through a party every now and then. That cop next door works narcotics, home at weird hours and gets really worked up about the noise

    PT: thank you sir, I am going to pass on that house.

    Me: Good luck in your search sir

  • Real Estate Professional · Florence, MA · Member since 2013 · 4 posts · 13 votes
    9y

    First post for me- How about this-  'I had to sue my last three landlords.'

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    9y

    My first post. All different applicants:

    - "I would like to look at your property. I have a pit bull and two chows that are comfort pets."

    - "I have not been paying rent at my current place because I need money for a new place. The house before that I was evicted, but it wasn't my fault. The landlord wasn't paying the mortgage, so the house went into foreclosure. That is why I stopped paying rent. Then they evicted me."

    - "I do owe my last landlord a couple thousand dollars for carpet replacement, but it is not my fault. The carpet was really light colored so it stained easily."

    - "I am going through bankruptcy right now so I don't have a car payment. Yes, I just get to keep my (year old) car without making further payments."

    - "I take bets for sporting, like a bookie, but it is totally legal, I pay taxes."

    - "My profession is that I am a dancer, like for bachelor parties. Sometimes I entertain in my home too. It is all cash, but I make plenty to pay the rent."

    My personal favorite is the family that showed up with a moving truck. I asked them when they were looking to move and they said they would like to start moving right now. 

  • Hollywood, FL · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    Recently rented one of my SFH and although I stated I did not accept Section 8, they still asked but the following were too much!

    1.) Guy calls. " Hey, I need to move quick but I need to be honest. I'm getting evicted right now because a window broke in my apt and I refused to fix it because it's not my place so the owner is evicting me. Can I come for a showing to see your place?" HELL NOO!

    2.) Woman comes for showing after being screened. She loved the place BUT ..." Hey, I'm a manager at a big pharmacy. Here's my business card to call my job because I only have the 1st months rent and not the first,last and security you need. If my job confirms my employment, can I move in tomorrow?". These applicants lie so much when screening otherwise I would have never shown her the home.

    3. Guy calls. " Hey I love the house pics I saw online but the rent is a bit high for me. I love paying my rent on time so if you drop it by $300 I'll move in asap but I want to be honest instead of struggling to try to pay the rent". I told him Good luck in his search for other potential home and to have a good day!

    RIDICULOUS!

  • Real Estate Agent · Houma, LA · Member since 2016 · 238 posts · 115 votes
    9y

    My wife was contacted by someone on Facebook interested in one of our rentals. It was from a joint account and my wife thought she recognized the husband's name from when she worked at the local video store some 25 years ago. She asked if the woman's husband was this same guy and the woman replied immediately that he did not remember her and that he had a past and why did she want to drag up the past and that we could just keep the house.

    ??????? #Insecurities?

  • Rental Property Investor · The Woodlands, TX · Member since 2015 · 21 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    This may not be the dumbest but I still could not wrap around my head how it would be possible to take care of my rental while everybody is disabled. Maybe their pet would take care of them? Here is her reply after telling her of the property's viewing schedule.

    "OK that sounds good, but do you accept section eight and if not would you consider it,I'm a single mom that's disabled and is loving this house, and will treat your home like it was my own ,I do have my two companions that are well trained and are trained to help me and mY other two disabled children"

    I replied saying I don't accept section 8 which I really don't.

  • Investor · Ogdensburg, WI · Member since 2016 · 273 posts · 351 votes
    9y

    After showing a place to a guy, he said he would "like an application for his wife" I said sure but all adults need to fill out an application.. He says "Yeah I know. She is the only one moving, she just don't know it yet" I said Oh ok let me know how that works out...

  • Deborah BurianPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 412 votes
    9y

    It's been a while but just got one that tickled me... young couple wandering through, telling me they need a yard because their 'puppy' is just TOO BIG for the apartment and exclaiming to each other about the built in shelving that will allow them to put stuff up high where puppy won't DESTROY it. Nope. and Nope.

  • Portland, ME · Member since 2012 · 616 posts · 550 votes
    9y

    I used to accept dogs and asked applicants to bring them to the showing.

    One couple's dog ran into the bedroom and urinated on the carpet!  They made a feeble attempt to clean it up. He worked at a local hardware store where I know the manager.  I asked the manager and he told me that they are cutting back his hours to zero.  That's what they do instead of firing people.

    Another guy showed up with his little dog and was making out with it the entire time.  Letting it lick inside his mouth, gross!

  • Portland, ME · Member since 2012 · 616 posts · 550 votes
    9y

    Decoy tenants:

    A 20 year old guy sent me a very well-written email asking for a showing of a 3 bedroom house.  He told me he makes $80,000 per year and wants it just for himself.  He showed up with his aunt and uncle.  They examined every nook and cranny of the house, while the kid didn't seem that interested.  It turned out he was supposedly their employee at their "gardening" business.  He got all huffy when I didn't seem to believe him.  His credit score was around 490.

    Another guy wanted to see an apartment just for he and his finacee.  He showed up with his parents, who proceeded to look over the apartment very carefully, while the young guy didn't seem to care.  They said this 2 bedroom apartment was too small.  I then showed them a 3 bedroom, but they didn't like it because it was on the 3rd floor.  Mom is a bit obese - remember, she and her 4 other children were supposedly not going to be the tenants. 

    The next week the mom's face was on the front page of the local paper.  She had been convicted of welfare fraud!

  • Real Estate Broker · Temecula, CA · Member since 2014 · 992 posts · 782 votes
    9y

    A person viewing the property stated they would only be interested if we installed ceiling fans in the living room and added a door to the open office.  I said that wasn't in the plan.  They proceeded to explain why I needed to do this for them to be interested.

    I replied. It appears you are not interested in the property. 

  • Deland, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Kimberly T.:
    Originally posted by @Val Csontos:
    Funny topic! :) but i got a serious question:

    Many of you said you have an "appointment" to show your place.

    Why would you do appointments?

    We did that years ago, and half of the time the applicants were no-shows. So now we don't do appointments just have a "showing hour" Saturday say between 1-2 or 2-3 and that is it. Between the few flakes with have the good prospect come too! Repeat this once, twice or as need it, and bannng the place is rented. Why goof around with "appointments" ?

    We do appointments because punctuality is part of our screening criteria. We set an appointment, and if the prospective tenant is more than 15 minutes late (without calling to reschedule or let us know they are stuck in traffic), we will not rent to them. Responsible people will arrive around the appointment time, irresponsible people (who I do not want to rent to) will not. It is an indicator of whether they are likely to pay rent on time too.

    Also, setting an appointment and waiting for them to arrive gives us an opportunity to check out their car. If their car is full of trash, we will not rent to them. It is an indicator of how they will maintain my unit.

    We generally avoid the no-show problem by scheduling a few appointments around the same time (say, 2 at 6:00 pm, 2 more at 6:15, 1 at 6:30), so if some do not come, it is not a big deal.

    We schedule all  'appointments' at the same time.     Everyone arrives at the same time.  

    It adds to the sense of shortage of avalibility and creates a willingness to pay more.  

    Anyone who arrives late we don't rent to them

    Application includeds a spot for car make model and year. And we walk out to verify. 

    So we can see if it is a mess

  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    That is another reason showing the pictures on line taking someone more serious and ready. They often know the area well and just want to confirm what they see.

  • Deland, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Kimberly H.:

    I think the strangest story I have is a lady who called confused about the front door,

    Lady"In the picture of the front of the house, the front door is in the middle of the house, but an inside picture shows the front door by a wall."

    Me"That's because the inside of the house is split into separate rooms with walls."

    Rinse and repeat 5x. Then I get a little impatient, tell the woman to have a nice day and I get off the phone. Later I find my ad on Craigslist has been ghosted, since she was insistent it must be a scam based on the front door being next to a wall inside the house, she said when we were on the phone that I must have been using pictures from two different houses.

    -----

    Someone texts our ad listing number and we start texting. She can't make the next rental open house because her huband will be working, and she wants me to show the property some other time. I say I need to ask some prequalification questions (income, credit, #occupants, pets), which launches her into a rant about credit scores,

    Applicant"With all these questions I can tell u are looking for perfect credit which we don't have, that is just a number it doesn't define a person..."

    Me "Asking about credit is not asking for perfect credit."

    Her "Our credit scores are honestly low and we are walking away from are current home because we can no longer afford..."

    Me "I'm sorry, but I can't make a special trip out to show the home to people who don't meet my prequalification questions; it appears you won't qualify due to credit. If it doesn't rent out this week there will be another open house sometime next weekend."

    Her "Like I said a number does not define a whole person. I am very sorry you are so prejudice against families would fell on hard times and are trying to get there lives back..."

    Me "This is a rental business. We have written criteria. If someone doesn't meet the criteria, we cannot rent to them. If someone doesn't meet the prequalification, I cannot make a special trip out to show them the house.”

    Her " Again a number(credit score) does not and will NEVER define a person. A number of 700 to720 renting our home instead of a really honest hard working PERSON is beyond me.Good Luck finding that perfect credit score to rent this house.Why would you want a number is beyond me. Good Luck".

    I never had a chance to say what our score was and it’s not 700! But at that point I didn't respond. Then 24 hrs later,

    "I don't know if you are the person I was texting with last night but I showed these messages to my attorney and he said these remarks are slanderous, assaulting, discriminatory and none of what you said to me in text was representative of what was in the listing of this rental property. You MAY be hearing from my attorney this week regarding your actions."

    Didn't respond, didn’t hear from an atty. I was able to google the number she was posting from and in two clicks find her Facebook page. About a week later the woman does attend a rental open house, without her husband incidentally. She doesn't identify herself as texting with anyone but after talking to her for a bit I recognize her, by the time I do, she fortunately didn't want to apply anyway because the application fee of $25/person would run them $100 for the 4 adults they have and that they,”Can’t keep applying places and paying application fees”.

    -------------------------

    Got someone who was interested in renting through a realtor. Realtor said they wanted rent lowered $100/mo, for us to take care of cutting the grass, for us to reduce the security deposit.

    We said no.

    Several days later I am asked if their application is approved. I’m like, what are you talking about, I never got a paid for application and never got a response that they were even still interested after we denied their requests.

    Realtor shares a dropbox with me with tons of documents in it and claims her applicants are preapproved to buy a 300k house (interestingly that doc is NOT in the dropbox) so they can afford it. I tell her based on what they put down as their income on the application they cannot afford to rent our rental (we require 3x and they were below), and I have never seen people underreport what they actually make.

    She claims one of the two adults can afford the rent on her own based on the paystubs in the dropbox. The paystubs show that the applicant is not salaried like claimed on the application, but a substitute teacher who clearly gets paid by the actual days worked and I inform the agent of such, and because she get variable pay I will need a W2 for her.

    Then she claims the other adult makes enough income on his own and his W2 is in the dropbox. The W2 shows 9k of income for the entire preceding year.

    I tell the agent that at this point I will not be doing any more free forensic accounting and that I need application fees and proof of income.Then she asks if I can get the application processed by the next day. I reply again with what I need. She continues to try to bully me into accepting the docs she has provided which include a years worth of rent payment cancelled checks for rent that is about half what our property’s rent is. I restate what we need. A few days later she asks me if the app has been processed (I still never got the addl info or app fees). I restate what we need. Then she says that my actions have a discriminatory connotation and that she has advised her clients to not provide any additional documentation and that they are no longer interested.

    -----------------

    In most cities we rent in there are rental inspections and the city determines the occupancy. An applicant got really upset; kept insisting his 2 yr old shouldn't count, I'm like,"A child is a person and therefore counts towards the occupancy." He just gets more irate, I tell him I didn't make up the rule and that he is welcome to get in touch with the city to discuss the rental program and occupancy requirements. Rinse and repeat that conversation a few more times as he gets more irate, saying the city can’t do that, it’s illegal, etc. I just tell him he is welcome to discuss it with the city, I tell him what department to ask for, etc. Finally a new group of potential applicants walk in to our open house and I attend to them.

    -----

    Talking to a couple who right off the bat said they have no pets. Then they ask,"What rules do you have" and clearly seem upset that landlords even have rules and they want to know what they all are. In hindsight I should have asked,”Well, what types of things are you concerned about” but we mention if we find a pet you didn't say you have then XYZ happens, then they tell us they have a caged bird. Then they ask why we don’t allow a bird. I think,”Because birds smell” but that sounds rude and would then only get a, ”My bird doesn’t smell” response. My husband says it’s because people don’t keep them cages and they poop all over and peck and destroy the property. Seems like there is a lot of confusion out there on what a pet is. I think going forward we will ask,"Do you have any non-human animals living with you like a fish, bird, cat, dog, pony, hamster, snake, monkey...do you pet sit, pet foster, run an animal hospital, pet sanctuary…"

    ---------------

    Always amazed at the people who ask if we will be upgrading things or if we can for them, and they often turn out to be the people who have no prayer of qualifying. “I noticed that the windows on the front of the house are new, will you be replacing the ones on the back of the house?”Me ”They currently work and are not drafty, so no.”Just the other day a family comes in and the first thing they ask is if they can replace a dining room light fixture, the son says,”My dad likes fancy things.” They can’t qualify due to income and credit. Last year had a lady who wanted us to change out a bunch of carpet and paint before she moved in, she had a rap sheet of crimes going back 20 yrs…

    I don't want to waste their time or my time after the first weird answer I just simply say OK thank you and I hang out for me personally no need to go into such detail when you know it's not gonna work out

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.