Tenant Applicants say the dumbest things

Tenant Applicants say the dumbest things

Real Estate Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2010 · 37 posts · 326 votes

Stupid things Tenant Applicant’s say.

I had renovated a nice 4/3/2 and put it on the market for lease. Here are some of the comments from people who toured the property during the open house or called me from signage.

#1
Young single mother with 3yr old in tow. “My boyfriend will be paying the rent, he said to just go find a place, but I want to rent it in my name, so it will be mine alone.”
I’m thinking: I’m not renting to someone without the verified income to pay the rent. Sorry but a promise from a boyfriend just won’t do.
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25 but you should know that I will need to verify income and whoever is paying will need to be on the application and lease.

#2
Middle aged couple with no kids. Wife says “I don’t like the wood floors. If you can put down carpet and repaint to something brighter, we’d be interested. Also you will need to replace the stove.”
I’m thinking: The wood floors are new laminate that I just spent $1400 and two days installing. The paint is all new also. If you want to remodel a house, go buy one yourself.
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25. The property is being rented in its newly remodeled condition.

#3
Family. Made appointment and met me at house. Husband says “I need a 3 car garage.”
I’m thinking: The 2 in 4/3/2 stands for TWO car garage. Plus the photos show it’s a two car garage, so why are you here wasting my time and yours? Did you think I was hiding a third garage bay in the back yard?
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25. This house only has a two car garage.

#4
Very young guy, young 20’s maybe, called me from sign in yard. He’s parked at house. Says: “ I need a big place for my girlfriend and our 3 month old since we want to have more kids. Could you help me out and rent it to me for $xxx” (about ½ the rental rate).
I’m thinking: So you’re requesting that I contribute half your rent so you can have more kids that you can’t house and support.
I’m saying: I’m happy to provide an application. The application fee is $25. Sorry the rental rate is firm.
.

294Reply
26,567 views

Most Popular Reply

Don KonipolBusiness Member
Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
14y

Last year I was renting a high end high rise condo - rent $1800 per month. A guy asked if I could give him the first 6 months free and waive the security deposit, after he found a job he would make double payments the second 6 months.

Had a tenant a few years back that signed a 12 month lease. always paid her rent on time. The lease of course becomes a month to month if she stays on. I asked her if she desired to renew the lease at expiration, or would she be moving. She said that since she fullfilled her lease obligation by paying 12 months rent she would stay on. She honestly believed that once she paid 12 months rent the apartment was hers for free for as long as she wanted!

But the best one was the tenant that always had an excuse for late rent. One month he told me he had sent the check in on the 2nd, of course I had not received it by the 5th. When I did receive it it was dated the 6th. Called the tenant and told him if he was going to lie at least pre date the check.
The next month I send the tenant an invoice for the rent, late fee, plus $250. The tenant calls and asks what the additional $250 is for. I told him it was a "lying fee". A couple days later I received the rent, late fee, and an additional $500. Called the tenant to ask why he sent an additional $500. He said he knew he would lie to me again in the future so he was prepaying an additional lying fee! BTW, although he is no longer a tenant and hasn't been for some time, he is now a friend. The entertainment value of this guy far outweighted the aggravation.

Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
See this reply in the discussion

1572 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Wholesaler · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2017 · 20 posts · 7 votes
    8y

    @Matthew Paul “I practice every day.” Haha. Love it. 

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y

    After landlording for over 20 years , I dont listen to excuses , sob stories , and all the other bs . I tell everybody straight up what the deal is . I am renting you a single family house , not a room at the Hilton .  The rent is xxxx dollars , your responsibilities are xxxx and you must meet the following requirements .  And YES its all about the money , Its a business , not a charity  

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    8y

    Add the number to your phone contacts, label the name as DNA (do not answer), and block the number on your phone. Solves that calling back problem; and if you get another inquiry in the future because renters will be looking again, you know not to bother replying to that number.

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    It's been a good couple of years with no turnover, but now we have a 2/2 in Ft. Lauderdale for rent. And the games begin.

    A recent call:

  • Frisco, TX · Member since 2017 · 201 posts · 95 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Steve Babiak:

    Add the number to your phone contacts, label the name as DNA (do not answer), and block the number on your phone. Solves that calling back problem; and if you get another inquiry in the future because renters will be looking again, you know not to bother replying to that number.

    Just go right to "block caller" no sense even having them in your contacts or having them able to ring your phone.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 389 posts · 250 votes
    8y

    These battle stories are great, and certainly a valuable education for landlords.  I've learned so much from the crazy stuff other people have dealt with.

    I've just been through the rounds again (after a year+ with no turnovers), and my places are in a pretty popular area so there's lots of interest.  No good stories to add, but a lesson learned. 

    Most people reply to the rental listing with a text message or an email, not an actual phone call.  Being an introvert, I hate callbacks to people who ask for information already provided, so I started pre-screening with a basic text/email reply instead -- "Thanks for your interest. <Insert info that they should know if they'd actually bothered to read the ad, including size, rent amount, and qualification requirements.> Before making an appointment to see the inside, please drive by the house to make sure the location and neighborhood work for you.  Once you've done that, get back to me to make an appointment. I'll be showing the house <day and time windows>.  "

    The people that actually follow through are possible tenants worth my time (and theirs).  I showed the house maybe 10 times in 2.5 weeks, out of well over 100 inquiries. Even so, this time not one but TWO qualified applicants withdrew their applications when it came time to pay for the background screening.  

    Just the luck of the draw (I don't either was hiding anything), but when I put the house back on the market I raised the rent $50 (a strategy from BP!), and rented to an awesome couple in 2 days.

    But there was the very nice woman who called, but who didn't speak enough English for an informational conversation. My French wasn't up to snuff either.  Needless to say, they didn't get as far as an appointment!

  • Middletown, NY · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    8y
    Lmao! I'm dying 🤣
  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y

    Showed the house today , 2 out of 6 people showed up .  A woman in her 30's was first , a bit snotty . Breaks out her phone and starts taking video , then she starts asking me questions while pointing her phone at me .  I tell her to turn it off , I dont want to be recorded . She refuses . I hand her an application and tell her if she is interested fill it out and send it to me . But you MUST answer my questions . ..... I show her the door . 

    Second was a young couple they liked the place , I told them what they needed to qualify .  She starts on how a credit report discriminates against people who made 1 mistake .  I hand them an application and tell them if they are interested , fill it out . I explain they have to pay for the credit report , Which both basically say they have all ready paid the last 5 places and wont pay unless they are approved .   ( well you cant be approved unless you pay for a credit report ) 

  • Manville, NJ · Member since 2015 · 141 posts · 87 votes
    8y

    I love when people ask if the rent is negotiable. 

    A mother with two small kids shows up. She is followed by the grandmother. 

    I assume the father is at work. I can't ask, and I didn't have to. She tells me that he left. Just got up and left and she is living with her mother now. 

    I give her an application and she immediately tells me that she won't need to fill it out because she is not employed. At this point I don't care anymore. I ask who will be paying the rent. 

    Oh its gonna be the father of the kids. 

    ..... I thought he left?

    It gets better. The grandmother pitches in asking if the rent is negotiable. My answer is obvious. She keeps pushing. I tell her that I will call my bank and the town to see if I my taxes and mortgage is negotiable. She agrees to wait while I make the call... At that point I didn't know what to say... 

    At the end she tells me that this is discrimination! I ask why? She tells me its discrimination because I refuse to rent to an unemployed mother of two. 

    I gave them the application and asked them to mail it in. They never did. 

    Another prospective tenant asked me if we will be "house sharing" - no joke here

    A couple shows up and I tell them there is no hookups for a washer and dryer in the apartment. The lease specifically prohibits having those in the unit. The husband proceeds to look at the piping in the bathroom to see how difficult it would be to hook one up anyway, while making comments about how easy it should be. Yeah, I told them to keep walking. 

    A couple shows up saying they will not be renting the place because it is intended for their friends who are coming from another country for six months. It's a one year lease. They couldn't understand how they can't rent an apartment for their friends... 

  • Rick BassettBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Greater New Haven, CT · Member since 2010 · 377 posts · 434 votes
    8y

    Them: Is the rent is negotiable?

    My standard answer: We would entertain an offer of more than the advertised price but certainly not less.

    Bassett Property Management5108 Reviews
  • Investor · Valparaiso, IN · Member since 2015 · 84 posts · 47 votes
    8y

    @Jake Recz

    Your comment:

    "It gets better. The grandmother pitches in asking if the rent is negotiable. My answer is obvious. She keeps pushing. I tell her that I will call my bank and the town to see if I my taxes and mortgage is negotiable."

    should be in a thread entitled "the dumbest things landlords say."

  • Manville, NJ · Member since 2015 · 141 posts · 87 votes
    8y

    @Rob Golob Please tell me that you DO realize I was being sarcastic when I made that statement to them... :)

  • Investor · CT · Member since 2017 · 165 posts · 75 votes
    8y

    This thread makes me smile; I'm not alone.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2015 · 153 posts · 105 votes
    8y

    Prospect 1: 

    "I'm earth friendly, professional, employed, positive, no pets, no smoke but I cannot provide my SS# do the the nature of my job (government) etc.  But I have excellent references." 

    I really wanted to ask him if he was a secret agent.  

    Prospect 2: 

    Called and rambled about his 5 kids, and how they want to change the world and they throw all these charity events and they're on government assistance and smoke and have support animals but their voucher will cover rent etc 

    While he's rambling I try multiple times to tell him the property is pending but he doesn't seem to hear.  

    He ends the call saying he's going to apply and I say "You can apply if you want but the home is pending." 

    He submits the application an hour later and pays the $50 to get credit checks done.  I spend the rest of the day stunned that they would throw away $50 when they hadn't even seen the home - then I send out an email explaining we went with another applicant (you know... the one I said was already pending??)

    He responds: "I thought that I had a chance, but I must if that is the case then there is no use in running the background check I would like to know how I can receive the money I paid for the background checks if it was way to late to even apply." 

    I just... can't.

    Prospect 3: 

    A single guy pulls up  to the house in a really nice car and is dressed really nice.  

    Him: "What's your pet policy?" 

    Me: "What kind of pets do you have?"

    Him:  ".... well... it's... a uh... dog." 

    Me: "Ok, what is the specific breed?" 

    Him: "uh... well.... ... ... it's a mix." 

    Me: "Uh huh, what kind of mix?" 

    Him: "It's a pit bull. But he's really friendly."  

    Me: "We can't accept pit bulls.  It's an insurance requirement, there's nothing I can do about it." (This was in the rental criteria he'd already been sent) 

    I thanked him for coming and moved on to another prospect while he just stared at me.  A few minutes later he walked back over while I was talking to someone else.  

    Him: "Ok, so what is your credit policy?" 

    Me: *thinking WTH I already said no* "Well, it should show a history of responsibility paying your obligations."

    Him: "My score is really low... like 400 or so." 

    Me: "Well why's it so low?" (Now I'm just wondering where he's going with this) 

    Him: "Well, I had a few bankruptcies and evictions."  

    Me: "Evictions?  Did you say evictions?" (Not sure how we jumped from credit score to evictions but ok, he's just volunteering everything)

    Him: "Yeah but like just 1." 

    Me: "Ok we can't accept evictions within the last 7 years." 

    Him: "Ok but all my evictions were more than 7 years ago." 

    Me: "Ok if you have more than 1 eviction that's a hard no, no matter when it happened.  All our rental criteria is in the email I sent you." 

    He then stared at me intently for a few minutes before running to his car.   

    Is this real life?

  • Investor · Asheville, NC · Member since 2017 · 506 posts · 404 votes
    8y

    SO MANY reasons why I have a property manager...lol  GREAT THREAD, @Robin Grimes!

  • Real Estate Professional · San Francisco-East bay, CA · Member since 2013 · 340 posts · 50 votes
    8y

    While all the tenants stories-  who has come across an apartment community asking for 5 years rent saved in bank to approve, for 1 yr apartment lease?  That, after verifying the tenant's contract job by calling the agency this tenant contracted for? 

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    After a couple of years of tenant stability, we now have a vacancy. 

    Yesterday's candidates:

    Tenant's email:  "I am very interested in this listing. I am a 28 year old male tennis professional new to the area. I work at the nearby Veltri Tennis Center. However, I am in search of a roommate to share the place with. I wanted to reach out and see if you might know someone who is also looking to share the place. Hoping to move quickly and get in as soon as possible. Please let me know. Thanks!"

    Me: No. Just no.

    2nd tenant, phone call:

    Tenant: I'd like to see the condo. 

    I ask a couple of questions, one of which is about pets.

    Tenant: Yes, I have 2 dogs

    Me: What kind? 

    A pause....never good.

    Tenant: A husky and an English Mastiff. 

    Me: Um, the listing states one pet, 25 pound maximum, thanks for calling. 

    Seriously, what renter thinks a 2 bedroom condo is appropriate for those dogs?? Never mind that he didn't read the listing, most callers don't. 

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Oh, and another call.  After specifically asking whether she had the security deposit in full (one of my first questions before showing the unit). the woman assured me she did. A single mother of 2....which turned out to be 3, but that's for later.

    She knew where the complex was located and went to meet my contractor. She liked it, and he said she was a nice woman, nice kid she brought with her, but he mentioned she said she had 3 kids. 

    Anyway - she calls shortly after, tells me she loves the place, but that it's a bit far from her kids' school. Which she clearly knew before she saw the place. Apparently, this is why she then asked for flexibility on the security deposit and a discount on the rent. Because, she said, she's a single mother. And it's farther from her kids' school. I asked about the 3rd child she didn't mention, and she said she was a college student. I didn't bother asking where that child would be living.

    I told her no discounts, and reminded her that she said she had the security deposit in full. She assured me she *would* have it, once she left her current apartment, but couldn't I be flexible on that, you know, because she's a single mother?

    No, and good luck in your search. She sounded like one flat tire away from financial disaster.

  • Contractor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    I swear pitbulls would go extinct if it wasn't for tenants... They LOVE pitbulls. Why?!

    This might be off topic...

  • Real Estate Professional · Salem, OR · Member since 2017 · 24 posts · 24 votes
    8y

    I showed one of my rental houses to a young woman that showed up with a disabled child. She said it was her little brother and she was his caretaker. Aww that's nice. She said she was moving due to a no cause eviction. I gave her an application and she filled it out. Everything looked good other than the eviction. I decided to look into her previous rental a bit. It was a duplex. With a little searching on the county assessor website, I found the owner of the duplex also owned 30 other duplexes in the same few blocks. Next, I called the landlord she listed on the application. He answered "Yo". I asked " Hello, are you the owner of *********duplex park? He replied " Yeah bro... yeah that's me". "I am calling in regards to Jane Doe". He replied "Yeah bro she always pays her rent... on time too". After the insightful conversation I had with dude bro, I decided to call the PM company that was in charge of the duplex park. They were very helpful. They told me dude bro on the phone was actually her boyfriend and that he has been calling them claiming to be an attorney stating that they needed to show up to court on *date* cause they are getting their *** sued. Ha! this guy is too funny. I later called the women and informed her that her application has been denied. I told her the person she listed as her landlord was not actually her landlord. She replied "Okay" and hung up. 30 mins of investigative work really paid off. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2017 · 33 posts · 24 votes
    8y

    I"ve only made it through page 2 and I have just soiled my last depends and now have to go get more from Wal Mart ;)

    lol Please keep them coming! But it may scare me from renting lol

  • Contractor · Loganville, WI · Member since 2015 · 65 posts · 44 votes
    8y

    Had a few with a new vacancy in an upper unit of a duplex.

    Applicant ask if her daughters cat was allowed since it was a companion pet but only claimed that she would be the only one living there.  I told her no since the companion pet was for her daughter and not her.   I am guessing she was trying to sneak in her daughter and the daughter's two sons into my 2 bedroom unit.

    Then had a girl that was talking to me on face book don't know if she was dumb or just sleep deprived 

    Applicant: so it's shared with someone else ? Me: It is a duplex and the bottom unit is filled. The top unit which is the one you would be renting has a tenant in there till early dec.
    Applicant: so the kitchen is downstairs? Me: This house has two units. The upper unit has a kitchen, bath, living room and two bedrooms Also had an applicant come out and tell me she would rent from someone else even if I did approve her if something came up sooner.   Previous vacancy had someone try to rent a house that would cost 750 dollars plus utilities who got 800 dollars a month by social security and was convinced they could afford it.  No they did not have a ton of savings since they did not have the security deposit.


  • Deland, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Steve Babiak:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    It's simply fascinating how 3/4 of this country lives. There is no doubt that we are outnumbered, and the wild things we hear, are actually more common than not. 

    There's always some sort of drama llama of why rent isn't paid, always. If I could find a way to collect rent through a MetroPCS, Cricket, or pay as you go mobile company, I would. The mobile phone bill always gets paid, always. 

    Hmmm ... maybe you add to your tenant screening criteria that applicants using those mobile phone services will have some sort of adverse action. Maybe you can just exclude them since your history with tenants using those services shows that rent payments become spotty; if excluding them means you won't get many applicants, then maybe there is some other adverse action more suitable, like a guarantor or co-signer required, bigger security deposit, etc.

     What?

  • Deland, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Matthew Paul:

    I just got off the phone calling back potential tenants . NOT 1 answere their phone , all 8 went to voice mail .  So I leave each a detailed message and that I will call them back this evening .

    Phone rings ,  " Somebody called me? "    

    Me  " probably I left a message did you listen to it "

    Her " no who is this "

    Me " did you inquire about renting this house xxxxxx " 

    Now , I get this call while up on a roof fixing a leak for a customer 

    Her " yes , and starts hitting me with questions "

    Me "  I am back working right now , when I get done I will call you back , in a hour or 2 " 

    Now she keeps rambling , so I stop tell my help to be quiet . Tells me she is disabled , needs a ramp , has a service animal , and wants utilities included .

    Me , the ramp is no problem I can have one installed at your expense , service animals are fine with the proper paperwork ,  Sorry but you pay your own utilities . 

    Her  "  you have to provide handicap access , and section 8 says you have to include utilities .

    Me , " Oh sorry this property wont pass a section 8 inspection 

    Her , " then fix it "

    Me , Sorry I am not required to make the steps wider , Oh did you read the entire add this was stated , and the house is on a half acre , you are required to mow the lawn and rake the leaves .

    Her  pissed off now  "  whats the name of your company , Put your boss on the phone  now  " 

    Me " Now listen closely , I am on a roof , I am the boss , I know the rules , you can complain all you want .

    Her " you're an A$$hole " 

    Me " I practice every day , thanks for calling "

    She kept ringing back my phone a couple times  . I ignored the calls

     You sound like an older person and your caller sounds like a younger person 

    Phone etiquette has changed. 

    It is all about accomplishing as many things as quickly as possible

    If you are busy and can’t talk you just let it go to voice mail

    If you call and it goes to viicemail you just say call me back

    When you answered your phone the person figured ok they can talk and aren’t busy or they wouldn’t have answered their phone 

    When the person called you back and hadn’t listened to your voicemail it is because they don’t leave detailed messages 

  • Deland, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    To avoid many of these pointless phone calls we have a google phone number with a pre recorded message

    Thank you for calling about the house at 133 Elm street.  If you would like to see the house we will be there at 2:00 on Sunday Nov 23rd

    First person with cash deposit and security and approved financial background will get the house 

    Thank you 

    No option to leave a message 

    Or if you want a larger number of people to show up to create an urgency and prove scarcity, leave out the part about the security deposit and financials

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.