Should I be required to change a light bulb for a tenant?

Should I be required to change a light bulb for a tenant?

Investor · Marietta, GA · Member since 2016 · 98 posts · 168 votes

I wanted to get your thoughts: 

In my lease, I state that any repairs less that $100.00 are the responsibility of the tenant. I have a younger tenant who is asking me to send someone out to change a lightbulb. I sent over a YouTube video link on how they can do it and she said her step stool won't reach. 


Fellow landlords- while still providing great customer service without breaking the bank- how would you handle this??


Thank you,

Kim

3Reply
273 views

Most Popular Reply

Stephen J DavisBusiness Member
Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 529 posts · 467 votes
6y

You should have a $50 trip charge in your lease. This is in most states. Now, I have some very old tenants that I do stuff like this for. Never for someone that should be capable of doing it themselves.

See this reply in the discussion

49 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 666 votes
    6y

    @Kimberly Kesterke  bad tenant, really change a light bulb,,,, I would tell them live in dark, OR ok but its a $50 fee 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Merrillville, IN · Member since 2014 · 24 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    @Kimberly Kesterke those pesky tenants. Insurance often requires you to check the SDs 2x a year so I go physically (or a property manager) to the house to test smoke detectors. I also check things like the lights on high ceilings and do a quick check out of the house. It is my pleasure to serve most of my tenants. You can charge a fee And I do if it's unreasonable.

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    @Kimberly Kesterke change it. If she asked you to change it and tells you she can't reach, then you refuse, when the chair with books stacked on it so she can reach it falls over and she hits her head, guess who's getting sued? Same thing with providing ladder, then the liability is yours. Change the light bulb.

  • Stephen KeigheryBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2018 · 716 posts · 555 votes
    6y

    You shouldn't have to if you lease states the tenant is required to do repairs under $100. That being said I could see a tenant getting a big step stool and falling off and then suing you. My cynical side says that this person could even do it on purpose because you sent them a video on how to do it and she has said it is to high. I would change it but this isn't the sort of tenant that you are going to want to long term. 

    Home Buyer Louisiana4.855 Reviews
  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    It is a non emergency repair, so if it were me I would offer to do it on my next visit. 

    I want my tenants to change their own bulbs if they can be reached and this sounds reasonable.

    I also want to make sure my places are well lit (read: hazard free) and I don't want to encourage them to do any work that could lead to an injury.

  • HIGHLAND, MD · Member since 2011 · 160 posts · 141 votes
    6y

    @Kimberly Kesterke

    If you are not already doing it, switch all your properties over to LED bulbs. They are very reasonable in price when you buy in bulk. Tell the tenant you will help out this time and only go when it’s convenient for you unless she wants to pay a trip charge. No average tenant will pay you $35 to change a $1.50 bulb. If you only own a handful of units, this is a also a good way for you to get eyes on the inside and maybe check out some other maintenance items while you are there.

    Also, not sure if this is a multi unit property, but if there is any lighting in a common area, those are your responsibility.

  • Real Estate Broker · Northeast PA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Kimberly Kesterke, light bulbs, eh?

    OK, so how many psychiatrists does it take to change a light bulb?

    Only one...

    But the light bulb really has to want to change.

  • Investor · Colonial Heights, VA · Member since 2014 · 115 posts · 68 votes
    6y

    @John Morgan I do the same.

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2019 · 20 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    This is a very good question. It is important to write out the liability of light bulbs in the contract. If not the typical approach is that the renter will be responsible for replacing light bulbs inside the apartment and the landlord will be responsible for light bulbs in common areas.

  • Ned J.Pro Member
    Investor · Manteca, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y
    People are really going to jump through this stupid hoop because they are afraid of being sued? For not changing a light bulb in a standard 8 foot ceiling? I'm in CA and even I'm not that paranoid....... maybe if it was some vaulted ceiling or over stairs or a balcony etc, then maybe...... but in a standard room with a standard ceiling...... yeah....no..... At best I would offer to change it the next time I am schedule to come over for some other more important work or inspection..... and that may be months....
  • Member since 2019 · 295 posts · 159 votes
    6y

    @Kimberly Kesterke. Tell them watch the video and change the bulb or get out.. simple don’t bend to your tenants they bend to you

  • Real Estate Agent · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2019 · 75 posts · 43 votes
    6y

    @Bjorn Ahlblad I like this answer. I’m a property manager in Brooklyn and would definitely do this for any of my owners/landlords. I know it’s not the absolute best use of my time but it is more about relationships anyway.

    If you’re not using a property manager I’d have a handy woman or at very least a handy tenant in the building do this. The last thing you want is a disgruntled tenant jumping off a too small step stool and blaming you when s/he gets hurt!

  • Investor · Johns Creek, GA · Member since 2017 · 463 posts · 488 votes
    6y

    @Kimberly Kesterke you should check your state landlord tenant law. The law overrules anything you put in your leases. I learned this the hard way.

  • Contractor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 432 posts · 221 votes
    6y

    @Kimberly Kesterke the short answer is yes. Yes you should have to replace the light bulb.

  • Investor · Riverwoods, IL · Member since 2015 · 27 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    @Kimberly Kesterke This is 2020 where everyone uses a cell phone to call for service. I tell my tenants to download TASKRABBIT app for apple or android. There are a ton of handymen waiting to get to work!

  • Northport, NY · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    @Kimberly Kesterke

    I’m sure to change a lightbulb will not cost $100

    So You have it covered already. Tell her to read her lease and send her a link to a handyman service.

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    6y

    I would hire two pollocks . One two hold on to the bulb ..another on the ground to spin the ladder

  • Rental Property Investor · Edison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 753 posts · 565 votes
    6y

    @Kimberly Kesterke. I live only 5 to 10 minutes from my rental so I would stop by and do it. It would give me an opportunity to look around and make sure that the home is still in good condition and cause goodwill with the tenant. However if I was an out of state landlord I would not pay a handyman to do it.

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    6y

    @Greg M. I put all LED bulbs in my house when I built it new ten years ago. Some LED have been replaced twice. I have even tried different brands. That 20 year claim on the package is completely false unfortunately.

  • Rental Property Investor · The Vampire State · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Ralph Chiaia:

    @Bjorn Ahlblad I like this answer. I’m a property manager in Brooklyn and would definitely do this for any of my owners/landlords. I know it’s not the absolute best use of my time but it is more about relationships anyway.

    I'm morbidly curious what you would charge your client for this service?

  • Brookfield, WI · Member since 2016 · 191 posts · 108 votes
    6y

    Sounds like you need a new tenant when the lease expires.  Again, with all the previous mentioned disclaimers of "older, high location, etc."  I'd still give the 'ol, well, I am planning a walk through in x weeks/months.  I'll check the bulbs then if you if you haven't taken care of it by then. But yeah, if you have decent demand on the place, plan on replacing the tenant, or upping the rent next cycle at the least.

  • Investor · Marietta, GA · Member since 2016 · 98 posts · 168 votes
    6y

    @Joseph Walsh. Agreed. I’m just absolutely shocked at how little tenants are capable of doing. I’m going to re-write my clause in the future and implement a service fee for doing these items for tenants. If the lightbulbs were working upon the move-in inspection, then they should be able to fix them on their own or hire my team to do it for them. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Kimberly Kesterke:

    I wanted to get your thoughts: 

    In my lease, I state that any repairs less that $100.00 are the responsibility of the tenant. I have a younger tenant who is asking me to send someone out to change a lightbulb. I sent over a YouTube video link on how they can do it and she said her step stool won't reach. 


    Fellow landlords- while still providing great customer service without breaking the bank- how would you handle this??


    Thank you,

    Kim


    Tell the tenant they need to change their own light bulbs. Convo over.

  • Real Estate Agent · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2019 · 75 posts · 43 votes
    6y

    @Wesley W. Morbidly zero. We don’t charge for small stuff. However we are lucky to have pretty easy tenants. From what I’ve heard there are way worse tenants out there than what we get in Park Slope, Brooklyn

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.