Rental Property Investor · Batavia, IL · Member since 2018 · 452 posts · 672 votes
There are a lot of people I know that aren't aware that HomeDepot offers 11% off rebates just like Menards. It isn't advertised, at least I've never seen it advertised nor is it easy to find on their website, so I wanted to pass this along in case some people on BP aren't aware as this could save quite a bit of money over the long run. Here is the website to find out more:
Rental Property Investor · Batavia, IL · Member since 2018 · 452 posts · 672 votes
5y
@Chad Hale Thanks for pointing out that it's primarily only for midwest locations. Since most the stores around the Chicago area participate I didn't even notice that it's not like that throughout the country. To help people in those bigger markets get this info I'm going to use some keywords to selectively get the word out.
Keywords: Kansas City, St. Louis, Grand Rapids, Detroit, Louisville, Indianapolis, Minneapolis, Fargo, Omaha, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Dayton, Toledo, Madison, Milwaukee
Rental Property Investor · Batavia, IL · Member since 2018 · 452 posts · 672 votes
5y
@Dave Poeppelmeier I don't think there is any list of what items are included, but they have a list of excluded items. Per the website:
"Certain SKUs and products are ineligible such as certain commodity products, value priced merchandise, services including freight, delivery, tool and truck rental fees, labor SKUs or on gift cards."
I didn't know about this until this year either when my business partner made me aware of it. I couldn't even find it when I went to homedepot.com and searched their rebate center. You have to go specifically to that website above (which comes up via google search) to fill out the form for your rebate. My guess is since it's only in certain areas they don't broadly advertise it. The dates where purchases are eligible for the 11% rebate do seem to coincide with when Menards has their 11% off sale so I believe it's HomeDepot's way of matching that offer. Had I known this years ago I could have received a lot of money back, which is why I wanted to make this info available for others who could benefit too.
Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
5y
@Scott Passman - This is a hidden gem! Thank you so much for sharing. Super weird how HD is hiding away their rebate policy online so that no one can find it. I wonder if they are going to be rolling it out nationwide in the future or something along those lines. Do you know if it works in Chicago / Cook County?
Have you actually sent in the rebate and received the money back? Assuming it comes in the form of a check?
Real Estate Broker · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2017 · 380 posts · 195 votes
5y
Yes we have been taking advantage of this for a few years now. Home Depot just recently made a change where if you are getting a bid room discount (discount from the Pro Desk) you can't also use the 11% rebate.
New to Real Estate · Shepherdsville, KY · Member since 2020 · 38 posts · 10 votes
5y
Lowes has a "preload" card that works like a gift card, but every month you get 5% of what you spend credited back to your account. There's also added benefits if you are a business owner.
Rental Property Investor · Elgin, IL · Member since 2016 · 326 posts · 270 votes
5y
@Jonathan Klemm yes it definitely works in the Chicagoland area, I have been doing it for about 2 years and have a huge stack of HD gift cards that I probably cant hold in one hand. The online process is much simpler then Menards however they issue a separate gift card for each receipt whereas Menards combines several onto one store credit. The HD 11% is only when Menards is running their 11% rebates which was pretty much all this year with COVID so I got a lot of them back.
The other thing that HD does it they tie your HD Commercial Card to Shell for gas rewards and you can get 1% of all Home Depot Purchases available as free gas. ie, spend $100 at HD and get $.10 per gallon at Shell gas stations. I've been using that for years also and don't think I've paid for gas in my truck for a couple of years and have had a times up to $5-8 per gallon off and it rolls over with each use/purchase https://www.fuelrewards.com/ho...
New to Real Estate · Shepherdsville, KY · Member since 2020 · 38 posts · 10 votes
5y
@Josiah Eley I'm not sure. I think there's hope, because you apply the military discount before you pay, and then you use this just like a debit card and then the discount is applied at the end of the month.
Also, I was focused on the savings and forgot to mention one of the great features. You can have multiple cards, for free, that you can give out to people (contractors, employees) and load a certain amount of money on the card straight from your phone and then get notifications when they use their card.
@Scott Passman - This is a hidden gem! Thank you so much for sharing. Super weird how HD is hiding away their rebate policy online so that no one can find it. I wonder if they are going to be rolling it out nationwide in the future or something along those lines. Do you know if it works in Chicago / Cook County?
Have you actually sent in the rebate and received the money back? Assuming it comes in the form of a check?
Yeah, they do not want to promote this. Most of their employees and many cashiers don't even know about it.
You hit on one pain in the butt about the HD program. The give you a separate gift card for every receipt. This is so inefficient for HD. I have recommended they aggregate but they say no. I think they actually want to discourage the heavy users and pros from using it.
So you have tons of gift cards for a buck or 2. I am a HEAVY user of this program and since they basically ran it for April through November this year as a COVID bonus, I literally have hundreds of gift cards for Home Depot. It actually can get exhausting trying to use them. If feels good to go in and get something for free but to buy a $50 item, you often need to enter 30+ gift cards. It is only a scan and a PIN but a bit of a hassle.
So dig out your receipts from the past few months and try to enter them in the website. I don't know how long after the purchase you have to submit.
One more good thing and one more very bad thing about the HD rebates. The minimum rebate is $1 so if you submit a $2 receipt they don't send you .22 they send you $1. Menards doesn't do that. Also, you DON'T get a rebate on online orders or special orders. You have to go through the register at the front. So if you like to call in your large orders and pick up, it won't pay off.
If you buy appliances or doors or flooring, don't pay in the department. Tell them to print the invoice and take it to the front so you have a register receipt.
However, the worst thing is MANY MANY times I have caught them rejecting larger rebates for no reason. Keep a record of any $100+ receipt. Because they commonly reject all rebates over $10. I have no idea why other than they are dishonest. When you call and complain, they honor it.
Flipper/Rehabber · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 712 votes
5y
The 11 percent rebate works in markets that have a Menards. It's a match. And for almost the entire year it ran non stop up to Oct 25th when they added some restrictions and shut it off. Going back to on again off again, like Menards rebates.
Home Depot also offers military discount anytime on everything of 10 percent.
They have volume discount pricing through the pro desk if you buy more than 2500 retail at once.
And if you are a member of a REIA group like mine that is a part of National REIA you can register for their discount program os 20 Percent off paint, specialty priced appliances, a coupon on Hampton Bay Appliances AND an extra 2 percent rebate on everything you spend if you spend 5000 in 6 months. Plus with this program they also pay out to National REIA and your local group to fund legislative and lobby efforts for our industry.
Flipper/Rehabber · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 712 votes
5y
@Kim Tucker and there is a new perks program that loads $25 in pro rewards for every 2500 you spend. Or a bit more if you want to use the perk to rent something. Plus a quarterly $3 perk to grab a snack at the register.
Investor · Glen Carbon, IL · Member since 2013 · 40 posts · 18 votes
5y
I also had no idea that Home Depot offered this rebate, as I shop there all the time. Unless I'm missing something, it was only valid for certain time periods, the last one from 11/1 to 11/25. And you had to submit rebate form within 30 days of purchase, or by 12/25 (a little over a week ago). Wish I had known about this when it was valid.
Rental Property Investor · Elgin, IL · Member since 2016 · 326 posts · 270 votes
5y
@Kevin McGinnis it happen every time Menards runs their 11% rebate so just watch for the next one. Last year, 2020 because of the COVID pandemic Menards basically ran the 11% rebate continuous from March or April through November. I kid you not, this is the stack of HD rebate cards I have sitting on my desk right now!
Investor · Glen Carbon, IL · Member since 2013 · 40 posts · 18 votes
5y
Good to know, I had no idea. I just spent lots of money at HD first half of 2020, renovating a rental property, and missed out on lots of rebates. So, is your stack from a renovation project?
In my market, Home Depot will give you a 10% discount off your purchase for military, veterans, reserve and active.
Only thing I run into is that it is SKU sensitive - some items offer no discount, others only partial. The discount at Lowes is generally better, as it applies across the board, with few exceptions.
Rental Property Investor · Elgin, IL · Member since 2016 · 326 posts · 270 votes
5y
Yes, HD will sometimes not pay on certain items but I don't have time to go back and look at every receipt but yes my understanding is that Menards give the full 11% on all items purchased