https://abcnews.go.com/Health/...
Yes, they are giving tenants an additional year to catch up on rent. I would love to know how someone can be that far behind on rent when they've received two stimulus checks, unemployment benefits that pay more than most people make when working full-time, rental assistance from government and private entities, and a job market that is literally begging for people to work! Most of my renters made more money during the time they were laid off than they would have if working full-time, so most of them actually paid ahead.
@Nathan Gesner can they still be evicted if they don't pay rent? Under what conditions? I can see this getting messy where they are paying current rent and they don't pay on past rent because they have a year. Who decides terms? Can you still evict they don't make payments or there was no evidence of hardship? messy.
Also to get assistance you have to agree to take 80% so basically there is a built in rent cut but probably a better chance of getting paid.
Was there any mention of Amazon taking action against the delivery drivers who took legal bathroom breaks? And wasn't this practice largely blamed on drivers have a difficult time finding bathrooms due to businesses being closed due to COVID?
A class on economics at your local community or 4-year college might prove enlightening.
Poor person is guaranteed not to starve thanks to food stamps. Poor person is given subsidized housing. Poor person is given free medical coverage. Poor person is given money. Poor person is much more likely to be protected by the court system in civil matters. Poor person is given free legal representation. Poor person is much more protected by the government than a person with means. Look no further than the stimulus checks. Person A made $40K and lost their job. They get a check. Person B made $100K and lost their job. No check for them.
And I've taken numerous economic classes. Don't recall they talking about the hardships of the poor. Of course I graduated before colleges turned woke. What you're referring to sounds more like a sociology class topic.
Low-income workers were screwed, but so we're many middle- and high-income people, particularly small business owners.
I'm curious how you grew up and got to your current position in life, Mary. I grew up poor, as did many if the middle-class and upper-class Landlords that were hit by the pandemic and continue to suffer. You seem to take pity on poor people that suffer but not on those that sacrificed and worked hard to dig themselves out of poverty. The poor received a lot of help and a large percentage of them suffered no loss or even gained income. Meanwhile, a lot of Landlords and other small business owners are taking significant hits to their income and wealth they've spent years - sometimes decades - building and your response is that they should suck it up as if they were somehow handed their position in society.
Hey, way to take what I said and turn it into something else. :) What I said was it looks bad for the wealthy (perceived or otherwise) to be complaining about the lowest income workers not paying their rent.... it looks bad. Its not good for LLs image.
How you took that as I am not empathetic with middle and upper class folks who lost money I am not sure. Then you somehow turned this into me not understanding hard work and being poor? huh?
While I dont feel I owe you (or anyone else for that matter) my "street creds" My single mom had 4 kids to support which meant we were on welfare a lot. I left home at 16 - was emancipated and have NEVER had anyone support me since. I have been self employed most of my life. I have worked my *** off.... in work life and home life.... so I absolutely understand how hard life can be and how it is to be dirt poor.....
as for RE I guess you can say I got "lucky" that my dad died. And he died owning the buildings he used for his business. I have parlayed my portion of that to what I have today (tripling that amount in less than 10 years) and guess what? I am STILL supporting myself and doing most of the work myself. I also have had jobs in life that many would not be able to do... I am one of the hardest workers I know.... very few can keep up.... so I am feeling pretty dam good about my street cred.....
Now, can we get back to the discussion at hand? We LLs should not be complaining that poor people are not paying us. The govt should of had better plans in place to get LLs paid for those tenants that could not pay - because those that could not pay rent are never going to be able to repay it - they just wont. It will need to be written off and hopefully the IRS will allow it as a biz deduction.
Was there any mention of Amazon taking action against the delivery drivers who took legal bathroom breaks? And wasn't this practice largely blamed on drivers have a difficult time finding bathrooms due to businesses being closed due to COVID?
A class on economics at your local community or 4-year college might prove enlightening.
Poor person is guaranteed not to starve thanks to food stamps. Poor person is given subsidized housing. Poor person is given free medical coverage. Poor person is given money. Poor person is much more likely to be protected by the court system in civil matters. Poor person is given free legal representation. Poor person is much more protected by the government than a person with means. Look no further than the stimulus checks. Person A made $40K and lost their job. They get a check. Person B made $100K and lost their job. No check for them.
And I've taken numerous economic classes. Don't recall they talking about the hardships of the poor. Of course I graduated before colleges turned woke. What you're referring to sounds more like a sociology class topic.
Actually, if you've been following the news (mainstream, not the fake news), yes - job actions have been reported against Amazon drivers who could not meet requirements due to human need issues (nourishment, excretion, ...). That's the whole basis for the discussion. Injuries to warehouse / fulfillment workers have also been reported due to improper safety measures in the interest of expedience (i.e., "small government").
Re: Food stamps ... Seniors on fixed income with no other income than Social Security DO NOT qualify for food stamps (excess income, if you can believe it!), even though they are well below the poverty level.
Re: Medical Care ... better check your sources. Legally, those who cannot pay cannot be denied care. However, they will be dogged to their deaths over unpaid medical debts. It's a common cause of bankruptcy among lower income folks.
"Poor person is given money." ... Your fellow landlords bucking the eviction moratorium may disagree with you.
"Poor person is much more likely to be protected by the court system in civil matters." ... Sources, please? Mainstream news reports would indicate that this is not true. Some locales are more tenant friendly than others, yes. However, I find no basis for such a claim in my experience.
"Poor person is given free legal representation." ... That's called a Public Defender. It's referenced in the Miranda Rights read to everyone at the time of their arrest.
"Poor person is much more protected by the government than a person with means." and related statements ... Again, I find no basis for this. Stimulus checks have been issued exactly three times so far in 12 months. One for $2,000, one for $600 and another for $1,400. Total $4,000. Roughly three-1/2 months worth of wages for the most needy recipients over the course of 12 months. People on unemployment receive a basic supplement of $300 / week, equivalent to $7.50/hr for 40 hours, and possibly additional supplement based on their number of dependents. However, by definition, no one on unemployment is getting $100K in UC benefits, with or without the supplement. The "cap" varies from state to state, I'm sure. In IL, the cap is (or was) $125 / week before taxes. Here in IL, a person who was at $100K/yr before lay off would still only get only $125/week on UC. If they're still working / have their $100K/yr income, why do they need stimulus money? So, that argument is out the window.
I remember the tax code (remember the 90% bracket?) being explained as having been based on "ability to pay". The same likely applies to need.
Really, it just sounds like you're feeling envious and entitled, and saying little more than, "Where's mine?"
If you want to disagree something do it no need to get personal on the internet tough guy. LOL
The American middle class was stronger when we exported or created more the we imported or consumed, Mr economic genius. Now our kids are fat and fewer and fewer of them are even expected to work. The reason why our debt is large is because the rest of the world has to buy our bonds. If they don’t we can’t keep buying their crappy goods via Wal-Mart and Amazon, which they need to transfer the wealth our country inherited to their respective countries. Oh what you never heard that argument before smarty pants?
If you want to disagree something do it no need to get personal on the internet tough guy. LOL
The American middle class was stronger when we exported or created more the we imported or consumed, Mr economic genius. Now our kids are fat and fewer and fewer of them are even expected to work. The reason why our debt is large is because the rest of the world has to buy our bonds. If they don’t we can’t keep buying their crappy goods via Wal-Mart and Amazon, which they need to transfer the wealth our country inherited to their respective countries. Oh what you never heard that argument before smarty pants?
Not sure why you have your undies in a bunch, but you seemed to underscore my case rather well.
Was there any mention of Amazon taking action against the delivery drivers who took legal bathroom breaks? And wasn't this practice largely blamed on drivers have a difficult time finding bathrooms due to businesses being closed due to COVID?
A class on economics at your local community or 4-year college might prove enlightening.
Poor person is guaranteed not to starve thanks to food stamps. Poor person is given subsidized housing. Poor person is given free medical coverage. Poor person is given money. Poor person is much more likely to be protected by the court system in civil matters. Poor person is given free legal representation. Poor person is much more protected by the government than a person with means. Look no further than the stimulus checks. Person A made $40K and lost their job. They get a check. Person B made $100K and lost their job. No check for them.
And I've taken numerous economic classes. Don't recall they talking about the hardships of the poor. Of course I graduated before colleges turned woke. What you're referring to sounds more like a sociology class topic.
YUP if folks were truly poor and govmit was not feeding them we would have all sorts of skin and bones people walking around in rags.
when in fact those on public assistance are not starving as we know.. there is always the outlier that makes the news . Having spent a year in Jackson MS which from some reports is one of the lowest income states and for sure a very high % of all sorts of public assistance you see no people starving and really very little to no homeless. the homeless tends to be from my travels more of a West coast thing and Honolulu.
in the last 6 months I was in KC INdy Pitt Balt city Chicago Cleveland Akron Charleston Sc.
I saw no starving people and very little homeless and we drove around the C D neighborhoods were you might think that type of thing would be evident.
I used to defend PDX quite a bit .. but this current administration is a COMPLETE embarrassment Took a year of rioting ( excuse me peaceful protesting) and unimaginable homeless camps filled with garbage Rats intimidating the owners of the homes in the areas they are camping in. The local news is JUST NOW starting to come to the party.. Defund the police that lead to 35 murders by gun first 3 months of the year when PDX averaged ONE.. per month.. Now even the Black community is screaming to bring back the violent gun control squad that got disbanded by political pressure.. After all 80% of this violence is perpetrated on the Black community in a City that has Hardly any black population by % compared to any other large city in the entire US..
Was there any mention of Amazon taking action against the delivery drivers who took legal bathroom breaks? And wasn't this practice largely blamed on drivers have a difficult time finding bathrooms due to businesses being closed due to COVID?
A class on economics at your local community or 4-year college might prove enlightening.
Poor person is guaranteed not to starve thanks to food stamps. Poor person is given subsidized housing. Poor person is given free medical coverage. Poor person is given money. Poor person is much more likely to be protected by the court system in civil matters. Poor person is given free legal representation. Poor person is much more protected by the government than a person with means. Look no further than the stimulus checks. Person A made $40K and lost their job. They get a check. Person B made $100K and lost their job. No check for them.
And I've taken numerous economic classes. Don't recall they talking about the hardships of the poor. Of course I graduated before colleges turned woke. What you're referring to sounds more like a sociology class topic.
Actually, if you've been following the news (mainstream, not the fake news), yes - job actions have been reported against Amazon drivers who could not meet requirements due to human need issues (nourishment, excretion, ...). That's the whole basis for the discussion. Injuries to warehouse / fulfillment workers have also been reported due to improper safety measures in the interest of expedience (i.e., "small government").
Re: Food stamps ... Seniors on fixed income with no other income than Social Security DO NOT qualify for food stamps (excess income, if you can believe it!), even though they are well below the poverty level.
Re: Medical Care ... better check your sources. Legally, those who cannot pay cannot be denied care. However, they will be dogged to their deaths over unpaid medical debts. It's a common cause of bankruptcy among lower income folks.
"Poor person is given money." ... Your fellow landlords bucking the eviction moratorium may disagree with you.
"Poor person is much more likely to be protected by the court system in civil matters." ... Sources, please? Mainstream news reports would indicate that this is not true. Some locales are more tenant friendly than others, yes. However, I find no basis for such a claim in my experience.
"Poor person is given free legal representation." ... That's called a Public Defender. It's referenced in the Miranda Rights read to everyone at the time of their arrest.
"Poor person is much more protected by the government than a person with means." and related statements ... Again, I find no basis for this. Stimulus checks have been issued exactly three times so far in 12 months. One for $2,000, one for $600 and another for $1,400. Total $4,000. Roughly three-1/2 months worth of wages for the most needy recipients over the course of 12 months. People on unemployment receive a basic supplement of $300 / week, equivalent to $7.50/hr for 40 hours, and possibly additional supplement based on their number of dependents. However, by definition, no one on unemployment is getting $100K in UC benefits, with or without the supplement. The "cap" varies from state to state, I'm sure. In IL, the cap is (or was) $125 / week before taxes. Here in IL, a person who was at $100K/yr before lay off would still only get only $125/week on UC. If they're still working / have their $100K/yr income, why do they need stimulus money? So, that argument is out the window.
I remember the tax code (remember the 90% bracket?) being explained as having been based on "ability to pay". The same likely applies to need.
Really, it just sounds like you're feeling envious and entitled, and saying little more than, "Where's mine?"
David , even without the pandemic finding a public bathroom these days is no easy feat.. I know I travel a ton..
And its why they invented Piddle Pouchs' that's what we use in the airplane when we dont want to land taxi walk to the FBO pee walk back fire up taxi back out and depart again 45 minutes or you use your piddle pouch .. Or in Big rigs they have systems for elimination.
However Just like I know where to find the best cleanest restrooms that i can get into.. I am sure these drivers know as well unless its rural and then its just pull over and go on the side of road.. We see that in Timber country all the time.. Men and women..
this simply is an exaggeration click bait. Whats amazon to do build restrooms along the route ?? Maybe.. ?
Hi all,
It goes to show you that one can never have too much money in reserves to weather the storms that arise for us landlords. I 1031 exchanged my rental properties for apartment complexes in the midwest, higher cash flowing, landlord friendly, places as I saw the handwriting on the wall. I ONLY have my personal residence in San Diego at the moment.
We have evicted all tenants in NE Ohio, Lake County, Ohio and Akron, Ohio that were playing games etc.. the judges were tired of their nonsense and not even attempting to follow the CDC 5 guidelines, just hiding out and living large (for free) on me and my investors (family and friend’s) dime.
The ones that were sincere and honest we worked with them and helped them to try and get government assistance.
The rest of the losers and scammers we kicked to the curb and filed second cause too!! What comes around goes around!!
Now, we are thriving and starting to raise rents again and refinancing taking out tons of cash, tax free!!!
Those of you that know me and listened or watched podcast 238 know I am a lowly paid Catholic School PE teacher and never made more than $80,000 combined family income in San Diego and now me and my family are financially free. I am retiring from teaching at 55 yrs old in about 3 weeks!! What a feeling!!! If I can do this, anyone can!!! Feel free to message me. I love talking on the phone and teaching others to become financially free too!! I am a lifelong learner and teacher and don’t charge anything.
Onward and upward all!!
Swanny
@Mary M.
You’re correct on the 80/20%. I was mixing a few different numbers in my head, my apologies.
While I agree with that there are certain people affected more heavily by the “pandemic” than others, I don’t believe that our government nor agencies have been any help in resolving the issues that we currently face.
Most of the small mom-pop landlords that we have spoken to in our area face large delinquencies that are not due to covid related hardships, but simply the residents not being “required” to pay rent. Many of these landlords are looking at, or have already, sold their rentals due to the fear of further non-payment. While some are being purchased by large investors, many others are being purchased by owner-occupies, thus taking a rental unit off the market for each of those occurrences. Oregon has a housing shortage, which will only continue to grow with the increase of “tenant friendly laws”, further difficulty for building, etc. This will only further increase rents.
To answer your last question, yes we have been in contact with the local associations, governing body, etc.. I wish the our local legislative would listen and work with landlords, but they’re only treating us as the “enemy”. Our associations are also not fighting for the small landlords as they use to when I was a young child.
We love our residents and do everything we can for them; however, the current governing body is making it difficult for us to run our business in a way that is both fair to the residents, as well as us.
@Matthew Paul
I have heard of people actually doing this!
You didn’t make a case. Insults and being condescending don’t count as a case.
Was there any mention of Amazon taking action against the delivery drivers who took legal bathroom breaks? And wasn't this practice largely blamed on drivers have a difficult time finding bathrooms due to businesses being closed due to COVID?
A class on economics at your local community or 4-year college might prove enlightening.
Poor person is guaranteed not to starve thanks to food stamps. Poor person is given subsidized housing. Poor person is given free medical coverage. Poor person is given money. Poor person is much more likely to be protected by the court system in civil matters. Poor person is given free legal representation. Poor person is much more protected by the government than a person with means. Look no further than the stimulus checks. Person A made $40K and lost their job. They get a check. Person B made $100K and lost their job. No check for them.
And I've taken numerous economic classes. Don't recall they talking about the hardships of the poor. Of course I graduated before colleges turned woke. What you're referring to sounds more like a sociology class topic.
Actually, if you've been following the news (mainstream, not the fake news), yes - job actions have been reported against Amazon drivers who could not meet requirements due to human need issues (nourishment, excretion, ...). That's the whole basis for the discussion. Injuries to warehouse / fulfillment workers have also been reported due to improper safety measures in the interest of expedience (i.e., "small government").
Re: Food stamps ... Seniors on fixed income with no other income than Social Security DO NOT qualify for food stamps (excess income, if you can believe it!), even though they are well below the poverty level.
Re: Medical Care ... better check your sources. Legally, those who cannot pay cannot be denied care. However, they will be dogged to their deaths over unpaid medical debts. It's a common cause of bankruptcy among lower income folks.
"Poor person is given money." ... Your fellow landlords bucking the eviction moratorium may disagree with you.
"Poor person is much more likely to be protected by the court system in civil matters." ... Sources, please? Mainstream news reports would indicate that this is not true. Some locales are more tenant friendly than others, yes. However, I find no basis for such a claim in my experience.
"Poor person is given free legal representation." ... That's called a Public Defender. It's referenced in the Miranda Rights read to everyone at the time of their arrest.
"Poor person is much more protected by the government than a person with means." and related statements ... Again, I find no basis for this. Stimulus checks have been issued exactly three times so far in 12 months. One for $2,000, one for $600 and another for $1,400. Total $4,000. Roughly three-1/2 months worth of wages for the most needy recipients over the course of 12 months. People on unemployment receive a basic supplement of $300 / week, equivalent to $7.50/hr for 40 hours, and possibly additional supplement based on their number of dependents. However, by definition, no one on unemployment is getting $100K in UC benefits, with or without the supplement. The "cap" varies from state to state, I'm sure. In IL, the cap is (or was) $125 / week before taxes. Here in IL, a person who was at $100K/yr before lay off would still only get only $125/week on UC. If they're still working / have their $100K/yr income, why do they need stimulus money? So, that argument is out the window.
I remember the tax code (remember the 90% bracket?) being explained as having been based on "ability to pay". The same likely applies to need.
Really, it just sounds like you're feeling envious and entitled, and saying little more than, "Where's mine?"
David , even without the pandemic finding a public bathroom these days is no easy feat.. I know I travel a ton..
And its why they invented Piddle Pouchs' that's what we use in the airplane when we dont want to land taxi walk to the FBO pee walk back fire up taxi back out and depart again 45 minutes or you use your piddle pouch .. Or in Big rigs they have systems for elimination.
However Just like I know where to find the best cleanest restrooms that i can get into.. I am sure these drivers know as well unless its rural and then its just pull over and go on the side of road.. We see that in Timber country all the time.. Men and women..
this simply is an exaggeration click bait. Whats amazon to do build restrooms along the route ?? Maybe.. ?
Well, here in suburbia, almost any gas station, McD, Booger King, etc. - even Panera or Starbucks - would offer an opportunity to grab a drink and make a pit stop. When I was driving for UberEats, all of my pick-up points had facilities available. Amazon's expectations for number of drop offs, etc. take those options off the table.
If you know any private pilots, ask them if they've ever heard of a product named "H.E.R.E" - Human Element Range Extender ... :-)
One might also recall something called the "Fireman's Friend" from an old Burt Reynolds movie (don't recall the name just now) ...
If you want to disagree something do it no need to get personal on the internet tough guy. LOL
The American middle class was stronger when we exported or created more the we imported or consumed, Mr economic genius. Now our kids are fat and fewer and fewer of them are even expected to work. The reason why our debt is large is because the rest of the world has to buy our bonds. If they don’t we can’t keep buying their crappy goods via Wal-Mart and Amazon, which they need to transfer the wealth our country inherited to their respective countries. Oh what you never heard that argument before smarty pants?
the middle class was stronger when 90% of americans didnt want cheap **** made in China, etc. People want their Dollar stores and walmarts and every other low cost store where 90% of the products are made elsewhere.
If our middle/upper class started buying local made/Made in the US products there would be a huge change in production.... so basically we the people are to blame..... not really the Govt. We should not be sheep.
Preach on Sister!
@Matthew Paul
The worst part is that is actually the best advice from a purely financial standpoint. Get a year of free rent and they buy a place in the Midwest (or literally any other place) and then keep doing it over and over since you can’t even screen tenants there anymore. 😂
Be a mostly paying tenant!
@Mary M. we are in a global economy I bet you could not find an electronic in your house that isn't made in another country. The chips, the components in your fridge etc. are frequently manufactured in multiple countries before being assembled in the US. Even your "US" brands have factories and get parts from other countries. That isn't going to change we have to find a way to make that work. They put tariffs on China and prices just get passed on. Isolationism isn't a helpful strategy. I don't see Americans going back to factory work in droves, they want those nice office jobs. Besides ask yourself who shops most at those stores you mentioned?
This thread has really strayed from the original topic to say the least!!
Swanny
@Mary M. we are in a global economy I bet you could not find an electronic in your house that isn't made in another country. The chips, the components in your fridge etc. are frequently manufactured in multiple countries before being assembled in the US. Even your "US" brands have factories and get parts from other countries. That isn't going to change we have to find a way to make that work. They put tariffs on China and prices just get passed on. Isolationism isn't a helpful strategy. I don't see Americans going back to factory work in droves, they want those nice office jobs. Besides ask yourself who shops most at those stores you mentioned?
While I cant get away from buying some items that were made in China et c, I do my upmost to ensure most of my $$ are spent locally.... Its a lot of work but IMO the best way to ensure our local economies are robust and that money flows into local economies. I take this very seriously and I dont just throw my hands up and say "nothing i can do!"
And yep, people are their own worst enemy - they shop in places that dont pay well and that outsource everything because **** is CHEAP... then they complain that there are no jobs or only jobs that pay crap..... and I cant do much about that, but I can control my own actions..... and thankfully there are many others that feel the same.