Book title thoughts: Medium-term rentals (30+ days)

Book title thoughts: Medium-term rentals (30+ days)

Rental Property Investor · Norman, OK · Member since 2018 · 158 posts · 529 votes

Hello BP forums—help us choose a book title! This is for the medium-term rental book coming out in November.

We don't have a forum exclusively for medium-term rentals (yet!) so I figured this would be a good place to post this question. For those of you curious to learn more about 30-plus-day rentals and/or traveling nurse housing, which book title/subtitle sounds the most compelling?

1. The Long-Short Rental: A Real Estate Investor’s Guide to Mastering 30-Day Stays

2. 30-Day Stay: A Real Estate Investor’s Guide to Mastering the Medium-Term Rental

    Thanks for your input!

    6Reply
    44 views

    Most Popular Reply

    Ryan WilliamsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Denver, CO · Member since 2022 · 102 posts · 219 votes
    4y

    @Kaylee Walterbach, I think this is a great idea! I like 30-Day Stay, super catchy. I think Mid-Term rolls off the tongue a little better than medium term, but that's just my opinion. 

    I'll throw a title out for fun! 

    The Mid-Term Rental Fundamentals haha, 

    Excited y'all are putting out this book!
     

    See this reply in the discussion

    39 Replies

    Jump to latestLatest
    • John UnderwoodPro Member
      Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
      4y

      I don't want to be in a market that is that controlling. I think most people would agree so I don't see a large demand for this type book.

      Just my 2cents.

    • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
      Moderator
      Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
      4y
      Quote from @Kaylee Walterbach:

      Hello BP forums—help us choose a book title! This is for the medium-term rental book coming out in November.

      We don't have a forum exclusively for medium-term rentals (yet!) so I figured this would be a good place to post this question. For those of you curious to learn more about 30-plus-day rentals and/or traveling nurse housing, which book title/subtitle sounds the most compelling?

      1. The Long-Short Rental: A Real Estate Investor’s Guide to Mastering 30-Day Stays

      2. 30-Day Stay: A Real Estate Investor’s Guide to Mastering the Medium-Term Rental

        Thanks for your input!


        Where do people get this idea of "medium-term" rentals? As far as I know, it doesn't actually exist. Short-term rentals are less than 30 days. Long-term rentals are greater than 30 days. A 90-day rental is still a long-term rental.

        The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
      • Andrew SyriosPro Member
        Moderator
        Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
        4y
        Quote from @Kaylee Walterbach:

        Hello BP forums—help us choose a book title! This is for the medium-term rental book coming out in November.

        We don't have a forum exclusively for medium-term rentals (yet!) so I figured this would be a good place to post this question. For those of you curious to learn more about 30-plus-day rentals and/or traveling nurse housing, which book title/subtitle sounds the most compelling?

        1. The Long-Short Rental: A Real Estate Investor’s Guide to Mastering 30-Day Stays

        2. 30-Day Stay: A Real Estate Investor’s Guide to Mastering the Medium-Term Rental

          Thanks for your input!


           I don't think "Medium-Term Rental" is bad actually. I think I would just name it that.

        • Ryan WilliamsBusiness Member
          Real Estate Broker · Denver, CO · Member since 2022 · 102 posts · 219 votes
          4y

          @Kaylee Walterbach, I think this is a great idea! I like 30-Day Stay, super catchy. I think Mid-Term rolls off the tongue a little better than medium term, but that's just my opinion. 

          I'll throw a title out for fun! 

          The Mid-Term Rental Fundamentals haha, 

          Excited y'all are putting out this book!
           

        • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
          4y

          There is a huge demand for flexible term rentals.  I have a colleague with 500+ medium term units, with short, medium, and long term guests and residents.  I am building a hybrid apartment/hotel in this space in the market.

        • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
          4y

          Don't Rent to Psychotic Mutts, Just rent to Psychotics or Mutts.

          I speak from experience.

        • Investor · Big Island, HI · Member since 2020 · 1 post · 6 votes
          4y

          Oooh, I like 30-day Stay!  Sounds catchy, and you'll definitely have an interested party here.  I manage vacation rentals and long term rentals on the Big Island and because of regulations as well as owner occupancy, there's definitely demand for 30 day rentals etc.  And snowbirds, while most want to stay 30-120 days, would likely fall into the context of the book.  Looking forward to it!

        • Rental Property Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2016 · 208 posts · 96 votes
          4y
          Quote from @Ryan Williams:

          @Kaylee Walterbach, I think this is a great idea! I like 30-Day Stay, super catchy. I think Mid-Term rolls off the tongue a little better than medium term, but that's just my opinion. 

          I'll throw a title out for fun! 

          The Mid-Term Rental Fundamentals haha, 

          Excited y'all are putting out this book!
           

          As I read this I had the exact idea of Ryan: 1) Mid-term sounds better. However, it can be misconstrued with politics, and nobody wants that. 2) 30-Day Stay sounds awesome... Any chance of using Midway? This is long but like "Mastering the Midway between short and long term rentals"
          or maybe simply: Midway Stay: Mastering the 30-plus-day rental 

          And please, don't mind all the naysayers. Not sure why some negativity but you're literally out there doing the work, putting out a book and sharing your knowledge. CONGRATULATIONS on the effort whether you sell 1 or 1 million, you're doing it!

        • Investor · Golden, CO · Member since 2017 · 56 posts · 57 votes
          4y

          I like the second title a little bit better.  The first title makes me think of the movie the big short which is not the feelings I think you want to convey with this book.  Long and Short are also stock market investing terms which is why it makes me think of that even more, but essentially that movie is about the 2008 housing crisis and definitely not what you want people to think about when they are looking to invest in any type of rentals!  

          Additionally, I like the way 30-Day Stay rolls off the tongue and rhymes like that.  Sounds good, sounds right! Having the phrase Medium-Term is helpful as they can sometimes be more than 30 days.

          Just my two cents! 

          Good luck!  I hope this is for the Zeona book, I'm so excited about it! 

        • Quinn OlivarezBusiness Member
          Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2021 · 115 posts · 131 votes
          4y

          midterm for the long haul: how to reach FI through MTRs

          Quinn Olivarez @ J. Lindsey Properties57 Reviews
        • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
          4y
          Quote from @Kaylee Walterbach:

          Hello BP forums—help us choose a book title! This is for the medium-term rental book coming out in November.

          We don't have a forum exclusively for medium-term rentals (yet!) so I figured this would be a good place to post this question. For those of you curious to learn more about 30-plus-day rentals and/or traveling nurse housing, which book title/subtitle sounds the most compelling?

          1. The Long-Short Rental: A Real Estate Investor’s Guide to Mastering 30-Day Stays

          2. 30-Day Stay: A Real Estate Investor’s Guide to Mastering the Medium-Term Rental

            Thanks for your input!


             I like the first one. It makes me more interested when I read it. 

          • Residential Real Estate Broker · Sedona, AZ · Member since 2017 · 754 posts · 504 votes
            4y
            Quote from @Nathan Gesner:
            Quote from @Kaylee Walterbach:

            Hello BP forums—help us choose a book title! This is for the medium-term rental book coming out in November.

            We don't have a forum exclusively for medium-term rentals (yet!) so I figured this would be a good place to post this question. For those of you curious to learn more about 30-plus-day rentals and/or traveling nurse housing, which book title/subtitle sounds the most compelling?

            1. The Long-Short Rental: A Real Estate Investor’s Guide to Mastering 30-Day Stays

            2. 30-Day Stay: A Real Estate Investor’s Guide to Mastering the Medium-Term Rental

              Thanks for your input!


              Where do people get this idea of "medium-term" rentals? As far as I know, it doesn't actually exist. Short-term rentals are less than 30 days. Long-term rentals are greater than 30 days. A 90-day rental is still a long-term rental.

              I've heard the term "medium-term rental" growing in popularity. I think it has pretty much become a thing. It's essentially a furnished short term rental for 1-6 months or so. Right now it's a bit silly, as the ROI is lower and demand isn't very high. Maybe it will evolve into something that makes more sense. This is possible. But I don't see it, personally.
            • Rik HunterBusiness Member
              Real Estate Agent · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2020 · 107 posts · 62 votes
              4y

              1. (Almost) Everything You Ever Wanted to Know about Mid-Term Rentals But Were Afraid to Ask. <-- Longest BP book title contender.

              2. Straddling the Fence: A Real Estate Investor’s Guide to Mastering the Mid-Term Rental

              3. 30-Day Stay: A Real Estate Investor’s Guide to Mastering the Mid-Term Rental

            • Rik HunterBusiness Member
              Real Estate Agent · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2020 · 107 posts · 62 votes
              4y
              Quote from @Nathan Gesner:
              Quote from @Kaylee Walterbach:

              Hello BP forums—help us choose a book title! This is for the medium-term rental book coming out in November.

              We don't have a forum exclusively for medium-term rentals (yet!) so I figured this would be a good place to post this question. For those of you curious to learn more about 30-plus-day rentals and/or traveling nurse housing, which book title/subtitle sounds the most compelling?

              1. The Long-Short Rental: A Real Estate Investor’s Guide to Mastering 30-Day Stays

              2. 30-Day Stay: A Real Estate Investor’s Guide to Mastering the Medium-Term Rental

                Thanks for your input!


                Where do people get this idea of "medium-term" rentals? As far as I know, it doesn't actually exist. Short-term rentals are less than 30 days. Long-term rentals are greater than 30 days. A 90-day rental is still a long-term rental.


                I had a "Mid-Term" rental, mostly for travel nurses. It's a hybrid because I don't use AirBnB for my long-term rentals. I do many STR things, however. It's more work because (1) it's furnished and (2) it gets cleaned every 30-90 days between tenants. I also call the tenants "guests", and I want good reviews on AirBnB (and FurnishedFinder).

              • Specialist · Joplin, MO · Member since 2019 · 79 posts · 58 votes
                4y


                "It's not that short!" term rentals. A book explaining how it's not the length of term that matters. Rather, how you use the terms that can make the difference.

                I know I would read it!

              • Scott TrenchPro Member
                Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 6k+ votes
                4y
                Quote from @Brian Orr:
                Quote from @Ryan Williams:

                @Kaylee Walterbach, I think this is a great idea! I like 30-Day Stay, super catchy. I think Mid-Term rolls off the tongue a little better than medium term, but that's just my opinion. 

                I'll throw a title out for fun! 

                The Mid-Term Rental Fundamentals haha, 

                Excited y'all are putting out this book!
                 

                As I read this I had the exact idea of Ryan: 1) Mid-term sounds better. However, it can be misconstrued with politics, and nobody wants that. 2) 30-Day Stay sounds awesome... Any chance of using Midway? This is long but like "Mastering the Midway between short and long term rentals"
                or maybe simply: Midway Stay: Mastering the 30-plus-day rental 

                And please, don't mind all the naysayers. Not sure why some negativity but you're literally out there doing the work, putting out a book and sharing your knowledge. CONGRATULATIONS on the effort whether you sell 1 or 1 million, you're doing it!


                 We could so clickbait this! 


                "How the Mid-Terms will Change Everything for Real Estate Investors"

              • Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 1 vote
                4y

                "How to be Above-Average at Being Medium" or "Being Medium Doesn't Make You Average" lol or more serious suggestion "Big Profits with Medium-Term Rentals"

              • Investor · Maryland, DC · Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 2 votes
                4y

                I love this! Mid term rental hybrids are definately a real thing, especially if you are near bustling hospitals. I like Option #2 with Option 1's subtitle. You have some great suggestions I like too: Midway Stay: Mastering the 30day stay; Midterm Stays for the Long Haul (tweaked); "Straddling the Fence- Mastering 30 day Stays" with A real estate investor's guide to midterm rentals somewhere smaller; It's not that Short-A RE investor's guide to mastering the medium term rental. I definately want to read this book!

              • Don KonipolBusiness Member
                Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
                4y

                50% GREATER INCOME IN FURNISHED 30-90 DAY RENTALS

                Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
              • Colleen F.Pro Member
                Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
                4y

                Isn't it basically An extended stay short term rental? What is the focus of the book? Maybe something like- Tapping the gap: A guide to the Medium-term rental. or MTR: Targeting STR over 30 days.

                I don't like the first title.  The long-short rental doesn't roll off the tongue. I  feel like furnished is implied in this space but not sure how you put that in the title. Otherwise you are just talking about M2M rentals which isn't I think what you are targeting with this book.

              • Real Estate Agent · Pearland, TX · Member since 2019 · 59 posts · 34 votes
                4y

                I like 30 day stays. It’s catchy. 

              • Bonnie LowPro Member
                Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
                4y

                Just the fact that there are so many people on this thread who don't get this market niche proves the book is needed. It is indeed a different animal than traditional short term rentals or long term rentals. I'm glad BP is publishing this and I happen to know the author - she knows her stuff and is a valuable and generous resource. I don't have an opinion on the title - I like them both. 30 day is catchy. Medium term is less catchy but probably more accurate. I just recommend you give it a SHORT title. BP is famous for really, really long titles.

              • Rental Property Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2016 · 208 posts · 96 votes
                4y
                Quote from :
                Quote from :
                Quote from :

                , I think this is a great idea! I like 30-Day Stay, super catchy. I think Mid-Term rolls off the tongue a little better than medium term, but that's just my opinion. 

                I'll throw a title out for fun! 

                The Mid-Term Rental Fundamentals haha, 

                Excited y'all are putting out this book!
                 

                As I read this I had the exact idea of Ryan: 1) Mid-term sounds better. However, it can be misconstrued with politics, and nobody wants that. 2) 30-Day Stay sounds awesome... Any chance of using Midway? This is long but like "Mastering the Midway between short and long term rentals"
                or maybe simply: Midway Stay: Mastering the 30-plus-day rental 

                And please, don't mind all the naysayers. Not sure why some negativity but you're literally out there doing the work, putting out a book and sharing your knowledge. CONGRATULATIONS on the effort whether you sell 1 or 1 million, you're doing it!


                 We could so clickbait this! 


                "How the Mid-Terms will Change Everything for Real Estate Investors"

                 Ok Scott but only if I get some credit! LOL

                @Scott Trench 

              • Investor · Oak Park, IL · Member since 2014 · 316 posts · 150 votes
                4y

                "30 Day Stay "  is super catchy.  I can't top this.


                A Real Estate Investor’s Guide to Mastering the Medium-Term Rental claifies the title well.

              • Kenneth RolfePro Member
                Boise, ID · Member since 2018 · 57 posts · 39 votes
                4y
                Quote from @Kaylee Walterbach:

                Hello BP forums—help us choose a book title! This is for the medium-term rental book coming out in November.

                We don't have a forum exclusively for medium-term rentals (yet!) so I figured this would be a good place to post this question. For those of you curious to learn more about 30-plus-day rentals and/or traveling nurse housing, which book title/subtitle sounds the most compelling?

                1. The Long-Short Rental: A Real Estate Investor’s Guide to Mastering 30-Day Stays

                2. 30-Day Stay: A Real Estate Investor’s Guide to Mastering the Medium-Term Rental

                  Thanks for your input!

                  How to Ace Your Mid-Terms: A Real Estate Investor’s Guide to Mastering the Medium-Term Rental

                  Between the two original options listed, I would go with the second option.

                Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.