Realtor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2018 · 64 posts · 47 votes
Hello. I own and manage a number 3 bedroom vacation rentals, hosting 6 guests on average. I don't drink coffee so I struggle to know exactly what guests would prefer. I have read that the choice of flavors of K cups may be appealing, but am not aware of which tastes better- Keurig or drip. Help me decide on the following and any considerations I am missing. I am not concerned about price, but more focused on 5 star customer experience. Thanks for your help.
A. Drip Coffee Maker (this is what I have now)
B Keurig Coffee Maker (this is what I have in my small 1 bedroom ABNBs)
Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2016 · 576 posts · 358 votes
4y
I think drip tastes a little better, but for STR where convenience is very important, K is much easier to make, you get exactly the right amount, and there's practically no cleanup. However, for 6 guests, if they all want coffee, then a pot of drip will be better so they aren't waiting for their turn at the one-cup-at-a-time machine.
Duo, I think. K in the one bedroom.
Phew. Finally a real estate question I can answer!
I am addicted to caffeine ( unfortunately ) and I will tell you that one of the best coffees I have had is from Nespresso and their capsules. Capsules have all kinds of coffee Low/Dark/Medium/Decaf roast. Also, the company has a service where they take the capsules back and recycle it and they bring you new ones. Kierland has a store for Nespresso :).
Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2016 · 576 posts · 358 votes
4y
I think drip tastes a little better, but for STR where convenience is very important, K is much easier to make, you get exactly the right amount, and there's practically no cleanup. However, for 6 guests, if they all want coffee, then a pot of drip will be better so they aren't waiting for their turn at the one-cup-at-a-time machine.
Duo, I think. K in the one bedroom.
Phew. Finally a real estate question I can answer!
Real Estate Broker · Midlothian, VA · Member since 2017 · 76 posts · 41 votes
4y
As a committed coffee drinker, I would say the convenience and choices of the Keurig is very appealing when I travel. You can get a storage box where you can put multiple choices for your guests. I would suggest more of the basic, unflavored coffee with some flavors thrown in for fun. Hope this helps.
Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 887 posts · 1k+ votes
4y
I drink a lot of coffee and really enjoy good quality coffee. I prefer drip, I think it has a much better taste than k cups. However, for STR, k cups & a keurig are the easiest route.
If you wanted to go a step above, you would need a good drip machine. In addition you'd want to provide fresh beans and a grinder so guests can grind fresh beans (and premium filters). If you're going to go that route I'd also recommend refrigerated flavored creamer (this time of year pumpkin spice), half & half, and non-dairy options. Also, an assortment of sweetening options.
I wouldn't go to this extent, but you asked so here it is.
Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
4y
We put Duo units in all of our STRs so guests get the choice of what they want. We then provide a few starter k-cups and a bag of coffee for the drip side. We have had no complaints.
Let me start by saying, I'm not a coffee drinker. I never acquired a taste for it. I provide a Keurig for my guests and I have a coffee maker. The cost is fairly inexpensive. I did talk to coffee drinkers when I was furnishing my STR. Guests like having the choice.
Rental Property Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 40 posts · 16 votes
4y
I used to be kind of a coffee snob and I am not aware of k cups or similar that produce quality coffee. Personally, I do not drink them. But I would expect them in a smaller Bnb, and wouldn't hold it against the host.
If you're hosting more than 2 guests, I recommend getting a Mr. Coffee drip pot or similar. People that need the best coffee won't expect it at their Bnb, they will go find it at a specialty shop. I would NOT recommend a grinder or anything like that, because they require maintenance and cleaning. Just keep it simple and intuitive. People will get annoyed if they can't figure out how to make coffee quickly. Whatever you get, I recommend replacing it every year or so when they get funky.
I think drip tastes a little better, but for STR where convenience is very important, K is much easier to make, you get exactly the right amount, and there's practically no cleanup. However, for 6 guests, if they all want coffee, then a pot of drip will be better so they aren't waiting for their turn at the one-cup-at-a-time machine.
Duo, I think. K in the one bedroom.
Phew. Finally a real estate question I can answer!
I'm new to BiggerPockets, but not new to coffee!! What Carini stated above is spot on!
Definitely go with the Duo Keurig. That way, first thing in the morning, a drip pot can be made for the entire group of six. A second or third pot will most likely be needed as well. If they only had K-cups, they'd be going through 12-18 a day! Then for those that have the coffee/caffeine addiction and need their fix in the later morning or afternoon, they can make a single cup with the k-cup. :)
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
4y
What size house do you have? Bigger houses I recommend drip coffee. I buy this and filters at Sams Club, Folgers I believe. I have 2 drip coffee makers at our cabin that sleeps 23.
Keurig are better suited for smaller houses (in my opinion). I like the McDonalds brand K-cups that I can get by the case at Sam's.
Some people supply a "starter supply" and let people know this so they can bring more with them.
Extreme coffee snobs will likely bring their own coffee.
Architect · Bay area, CA · Member since 2020 · 25 posts · 26 votes
4y
As a coffee drinker, I provide options in my STR. Keurig with a selection of flavors for folks who want an easy cup, they are often consumed so folks like them. But I have a burr grinder, pourover and french press as well for folks who like actual coffee from actual beans. They store easily in the cabinets but we have had plenty of guests message to thank us for the options!
edit: our cabin sleeps a max of 4 but often it's couples on an adventure getaway.
Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2021 · 4 posts · 3 votes
4y
I would go with the duo. For my Airbnb, we offer a Keurig (BYO pods), a traditional drip coffee maker, french press, coffee grinder ($10 on amazon and does not require any cleaning/maintenance) and ground coffee and whole coffee beans. I buy bulk coffee at Costco and put it in glass jars for a better presentation and my cleaner refills it as needed. If you want to go above and beyond, you might check competition in the area to see if they have a full coffee bar set up with tea and syrups.
I am a bit of a coffee snob, so I highly recommend a french press with freshly ground coffee. If that is not available, the next best option is a traditional drip coffee maker.
I stayed at a place with a DUO. I did not find it as easy to use as regular Keurig's and drips. I'm going to stay with a separate Keurig, drip, and a french press for the fancy drinkers. I provide k-cups, assorted single serve creamer, and splenda/stevia/sugar.
Real Estate Agent · Smoky Mountains, TN · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 984 votes
4y
Classic coffee maker does best in my market. However, if I offer a Keurig I usually offer it in my more modern homes or cabins and even then I still have the good old standby coffee maker. We don’t provide coffee unless someone has left it.
Rental Property Investor · Stewartsville, NJ · Member since 2016 · 418 posts · 280 votes
4y
We have Keurigs in our properties and guests really seem to appreciate it. We also keep small traditional coffee makers and filters in the cabinets as well.
Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
4y
Keurigs aren't as strong/full flavored. 'Real' coffee drinkers don't like them. But they are considered kinda cool by millenials and the cool crowd. We have both a coffee maker and a Keurig at our STRs. Doesn't cost much and we get good reviews on the coffee...
Or second choice, a Duo Keurig.....
Note - With Keurigs you have to clean/descale them every few months
Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
4y
Hey @Kathleen McDowell. So we have 2 drip coffee makers (one that is out and one in the pantry for large groups. We also have 2 Keurigs. One in the kitchen and one in the master bedroom coffee bar area.
We also provide a bunch of pods. At least 40 are out of different types. I wait to when one goes on sale and I snap it up. Montana Roasters, Cafe Bustelo, McDonalds McCafe, Maxwell House, Tullys, SF Coffee. All sorts. Even some weird ones I have found. Gevalia is really popular but they all get used.
I pay less than 20 cents a pod most of the time. It is a cheap nicety for guests.
I have tried leaving ground coffee but it never gets used so I stopped that one.
I also have a french press and I have a bottle of Hazelnut and Vanilla syrup. Plenty of creamers. Sugar, Splenda plus a variety of teas.
I'm a coffee drinker. French Press is best, followed by drip, and Keurig is last on my list. Most of the Keurig coffees taste very similar, which isn't very good, and I hate the cost and waste of plastic. Next to water bottles and juice pouches, Keurig is one of the worst things for the environment and an unnecessary expense.
Of course, I have a Keurig at home and at work because my wife loves it. Ugh.
Drip coffee is fine and most guests will be fine with regular coffee like Columbia Medium Roast. I recommend a small container so you can give them enough for a few pots, just to get through the first day or two. After that, they provide their own.
Realtor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2018 · 64 posts · 47 votes
4y
@Nathan Gesner Thank you so much. The plastic of the cups was weighing on my minds as I hate water bottle and any kind of unnecessary plastic, especially given my home is in a place where everyone is environmentally conscious. I'm going to add a French Press - embarrassing to note I had no idea what one was, and keep my drop coffee maker. Thanks to everyone on this forum for enlightening this "never had a cup of coffee in my life" lady.
Hello. I own and manage a number 3 bedroom vacation rentals, hosting 6 guests on average. I don't drink coffee so I struggle to know exactly what guests would prefer. I have read that the choice of flavors of K cups may be appealing, but am not aware of which tastes better- Keurig or drip. Help me decide on the following and any considerations I am missing. I am not concerned about price, but more focused on 5 star customer experience. Thanks for your help.
A. Drip Coffee Maker (this is what I have now)
B Keurig Coffee Maker (this is what I have in my small 1 bedroom ABNBs)
3. Duo Keurig that offers both Keurig and Drip
Thank you to ALL the fantastic coffee drinking folks on this forum who helped me make my decision! I had never heard of a French Press before and have added that along side my drip coffee maker. That way, guests have choice. My property is in North Lake Tahoe, where focus on the environment is key, so I will pass on the K-cups as I had been concerned about the impact. For those that still want something else, they can head down to the lake and enjoy a brew from our local Java Hut and sip it while enjoying world class views and serenity.
Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
4y
One of our places we advertise as having a 'Coffee Bar' and a lot of guests love it. We have 1) a Coffee Maker, 2) a French Press, 3) a Pour Over, and 4) a Keurig, all with a dedicated little area that we stock with ground coffee of various types.
Hello. I own and manage a number 3 bedroom vacation rentals, hosting 6 guests on average. I don't drink coffee so I struggle to know exactly what guests would prefer. I have read that the choice of flavors of K cups may be appealing, but am not aware of which tastes better- Keurig or drip. Help me decide on the following and any considerations I am missing. I am not concerned about price, but more focused on 5 star customer experience. Thanks for your help.
A. Drip Coffee Maker (this is what I have now)
B Keurig Coffee Maker (this is what I have in my small 1 bedroom ABNBs)
3. Duo Keurig that offers both Keurig and Drip
As someone who LOVES coffee, I think the duo (option 3) would be best since there can be 6 guests. Provides convenience if most are not coffee drinkers, but a larger pot if all 6 guests are like me.
I guess a secondary option might be just doing the drip. I know those machines can be way cheaper and I've had mine for many years with use practically every morning.
Accountant · Denver, CO · Member since 2020 · 392 posts · 183 votes
4y
I think Duo, then both sides benefit with less space taken up compared to both machines. I love drip coffee, Black Rifle's Silencer Smooth is the only present I ask my friends for Christmas, Kcups I have to add stuff to make it more bearable while drip I can drink just black without a worry.
I'm an Accountant and live off coffee too so it would be easier for me to do just drip.
Aside from that, more then 2 people I would want to just make a pot rather then sit in line for my cup.