Investor · Lancaster, PA · Member since 2022 · 74 posts · 104 votes
So we have a STR with a large flat yard and have been considering adding a pickle ball court. Anyone have one on their property? Thoughts on if its worth the hassle?
Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
3y
Naw, I'd pass. Think how many people that you personally know that play. I know 2. It's also an older person's game (generally) so I think the use would be limited.
I'd rather set up a small putt-putt Golf course (3 holes?) everyone plays that...
I think adding a Pickleball is a good investment. As someone who has been playing before it was cool. I am confident that its not going anywhere and people will pay extra for it. The learning curve for a new player is much lower than tennis. If it was me I wouldn't make it multi use. If you have to share lines it makes it confusing, but that's just me. It's getting so popular where I am at its difficult to find places to play and if you want to drill with a partner be prepared for an argument. My only question is where is the STR located? Just wandering how many months can it be used.
Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 715 votes
3y
Real estate decisions can be tricky, especially when it comes to introducing something that could potentially cause noise complaints from neighbors. While it would certainly make a great perk to have a badminton court on the property, you should make sure to evaluate all of your options carefully before making a final decision. After all, there is more than just noise complaints to take into consideration. Good luck!
And what about the cost to build a real court? I just looked it up and I'm getting numbers like $20k - $50k.... That will take a long time to recoup, wouldn't it? And how far away is the nearest public court?
Yea, cost is one area im not sure I would recover, although doing some of it myself the cost is pretty low. Some of the noise comments are a concern as well.
A lot of the cost is in the pad and moreso the coating....
Investor · Black Diamond, WA · Member since 2016 · 123 posts · 127 votes
3y
It's interesting to see this post... my business partner is obsessed with pickleball and has been wanting to add one to one of our STR properties for a year or two. We're near Seattle and there is a shortage of courts, and TONS of people wanting to play. I've been wondering about the ROI, especially considering we'd be doing a covered space for our climate. However, in our case this covered space would be designed so it could be used for multiple uses. This is still on the table, but might be something we consider on a new project rather than add to one of our existing properties.
How long will it take to recoup the initial costs? For the average STR?
This is my biggest concern, if im 135 years old before its paid for not sure it was a smart move lol. I have no idea how to estimate the up-charge or increase in bookings it might bring in.
Lender · Member since 2020 · 331 posts · 209 votes
3y
Prob depends on your market and target client. Bill Faeth just put one in his Gulf Shores property - you could prob get more info if you follow him on social!
Property Manager · Orlando Kissimmee Davenport Salt Lake City, Park City · Member since 2019 · 991 posts · 1k+ votes
3y
FWIW on the noise, when you have a big set of like 10 pickleball courts that everyone is playing on it's very loud. But with just one it's not that bad. We've stayed in 4 or 5 homes with pickleball courts and noise never seemed like much of an issue.
Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
3y
@Kenneth Woodruff Its ultimately about ROI. How many guests will use it? How long will it take you to recoup your investment? Is this just a faddish whim?
Prob depends on your market and target client. Bill Faeth just put one in his Gulf Shores property - you could prob get more info if you follow him on social!
Very cool! Pickleball is getting huge down here in Gulf Shores. The sportsplex here just added 12 courts! A ton of fun to play, and several retired people we know love how they can enjoy the sport as well due to the size of the court.
Ben Scarborough BNB Real Estate, eXp Realty Southern Branch Ph. (850) 390-2350
Investor · Encinitas, CA · Member since 2020 · 11 posts · 0 votes
3y
A Pickleball court is a great perk. The proof is in the data.... It's the fasted growing sport in America. There's also "big brand" money being investment into the PPA and MLP. This sports here to last. My personal experience is that anytime I go to any pickleball court to play, there are always dozens of people playing. Typically the courts are full. Lastly, there are a few other sports that can use that same court, which allows you to adjust as needed.
Lender · New York, NY · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y
This will 100% attract a good volume of guests. Pickleball's the hottest sport out right now. With that said just based on eye test I feel as though this strategy might not work unless you maybe target the listing to groups of people seeking a pickleball outing.