I just came across this new listing, the well went dry and they are selling for cash. On the surface this seems to be the only thing wrong with the property. It seems like it’s selling at an over 50 percent discount because of the issue. I’m assuming a new well can’t be drilled to find water and essentially it’s just a primitive camp site.
I also see it was a shared well and they built a 1600 square foot “1” bed that probably slept 8-10 on overnight program.
it’s crazy to think that your well runs dry and you lose several hundred thousand dollars in equity. interest to hear people’s thoughts on this.
If the Sellers and their agent have two brain cells to rub together, they would have researched the ability to add a well before listing the property that low. Either they are really dumb, a new well is not an option or too expensive, or they are looking to generate a bunch of excitement that will drive the sales price up through multiple offers.
I would also begin to wonder if this is something systemic with the area. In the greater Sedona area, water can be hit or miss.
There are some areas outside of the Sedona area that look like great opportunities until you find out that their aquifer is drying up and water will no longer be available.
That’s what I was kind of getting at here. I’m hearing this more and more around here. How do you protect yourself even on a “turn key”, do you just lose half of your investment when the water runs out and can’t be brought back?
I think you will eventually hit water just may have to pay more and go deeper in that area. I don’t think the gamble is whether or not you will hit water. The gamble is in how deep you have to go and how much is that gonna cost. But I would definitely be talking with the well drillers as they have a pretty good idea about most areas they drill in where the water is and the typical depths they have to go. My comments are only concerning the southeast don’t know anything about out west.
I spent many years in the water industry here. Wells are notoriously tricky here in the mountains; because everything is solid bedrock you're never really drilling into underground aquifers/lakes - you're trying to hit seams where enough cross to keep your casing full of water. This is not easy to do at all and a lot of drillers just rely on experience and local knowledge about the likelihood of hitting a good seam. About 10 years ago we drilled two wells at a treatment plant about 75 yards apart. The first one produced over 200 GPM at 600 feet. The second one produced less than a gallon a minute at 1300 feet - essentially a dry hole. Add to that the fact that mountain geology is always changing - as the earth shifts the rock cracks in different ways, and wells can dry up in an instant as water finds a different seam with the new cracks.
Best thing they can try to do first is fracture the existing well - sometimes you can open the seams up wider and that solves your problem. If not, unless you have a decent sized property, drilling a new one is probably a waste of time and this place will have to truck in water or create a large cistern system.
200 gpm! That is insane. Never heard of having that much flow. The 1 gpm could work though although not what you want. The reality is at that depth with a 6 inch pipe you have a lot of water storage.
You are right about how finicky they can be. My neighbor gets like 32gpm at 200 fr and I get 2.5 at 515ft at my home. They told me not great but you have the storage at that depth. I didn’t know whether or not to believe them or not but I have had that well for over 20 years now with no problems running out of water. Fortunately. It’s still always a gamble though.
I would also begin to wonder if this is something systemic with the area. In the greater Sedona area, water can be hit or miss.
There are some areas outside of the Sedona area that look like great opportunities until you find out that their aquifer is drying up and water will no longer be available.
That’s what I was kind of getting at here. I’m hearing this more and more around here. How do you protect yourself even on a “turn key”, do you just lose half of your investment when the water runs out and can’t be brought back?
I think you will eventually hit water just may have to pay more and go deeper in that area. I don’t think the gamble is whether or not you will hit water. The gamble is in how deep you have to go and how much is that gonna cost. But I would definitely be talking with the well drillers as they have a pretty good idea about most areas they drill in where the water is and the typical depths they have to go. My comments are only concerning the southeast don’t know anything about out west.
I spent many years in the water industry here. Wells are notoriously tricky here in the mountains; because everything is solid bedrock you're never really drilling into underground aquifers/lakes - you're trying to hit seams where enough cross to keep your casing full of water. This is not easy to do at all and a lot of drillers just rely on experience and local knowledge about the likelihood of hitting a good seam. About 10 years ago we drilled two wells at a treatment plant about 75 yards apart. The first one produced over 200 GPM at 600 feet. The second one produced less than a gallon a minute at 1300 feet - essentially a dry hole. Add to that the fact that mountain geology is always changing - as the earth shifts the rock cracks in different ways, and wells can dry up in an instant as water finds a different seam with the new cracks.
Best thing they can try to do first is fracture the existing well - sometimes you can open the seams up wider and that solves your problem. If not, unless you have a decent sized property, drilling a new one is probably a waste of time and this place will have to truck in water or create a large cistern system.
200 gpm! That is insane. Never heard of having that much flow. The 1 gpm could work though although not what you want. The reality is at that depth with a 6 inch pipe you have a lot of water storage.
You are right about how finicky they can be. My neighbor gets like 32gpm at 200 fr and I get 2.5 at 515ft at my home. They told me not great but you have the storage at that depth. I didn’t know whether or not to believe them or not but I have had that well for over 20 years now with no problems running out of water. Fortunately. It’s still always a gamble though.
There aren't any real aquifers here. All you are looking for are decent rock seams crossing your drill path. There's no reasonable benefit to drill any deeper than necessary here, especially given the cost per foot of casing and drilling. I haven't been involved in a drill in a while - over 10 years now - and then drilling was $13/foot not including casing. I would fully expect drilling with casing to be $30-40 per foot these days around here, meaning every extra hundred feet costs $3-4k and unless you happen to tap a major seam gains you about 100+/- gallons of storage.
Well drilling is very region specific. Different geology calls for different approaches. What you mention may or may not make sense depending on where you are and the total depth of the aquifer. You are correct in that shallower wells are a way of saving in drilling costs and may be short sighted. Good well drillers usually guide you right, and I always tell people use companies that have years of experience where you are. Out here, 1500 ft dry holes are very common. Spending $25k on a hole full of dust is pretty hard to swallow, no pun intended.