Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2019 · 185 posts · 205 votes
Hi, all! We want to buy an arcade machine for our STR that plays a bunch of different games. Does anyone have any machines or vendors that they'd recommend that would deliver? Any tips or advice?
Hi, all! We want to buy an arcade machine for our STR that plays a bunch of different games. Does anyone have any machines or vendors that they'd recommend that would deliver? Any tips or advice?
Many thanks!
I was going to do this, but I changed my mind after talking with my target demographic (my kids). Rather than go with a classic arcade style game that I would like, they got crazy excited at the idea of a PS5 with a game subscription. Their view is that an arcade game is cool for 10 minutes, but a PS5 is something that they would enjoy for their entire stay.
I think younger travelers and groups with younger guests find this more appealing. PS5, TV and two gamer chairs is about the same cost or less than an arcade unit
I've seen some people post on here about offering modern/classic game consoles. I've offered easy HDMI hookups for BYOC (bring your own console), but not actually included mine as I've heard stuff gets more mistreated, stolen, etc.
I can't quite imagine offering newer games for this purpose. My belief is that arcade, pool tables, etc. would provide a different experience and might be more likely to rope in the whole family.
I initially wanted to bring over my modded PS2 with a bunch of games, but I've heard horror stories about doing that. (PS3 and newer seem too flimsy to me.) I'm willing to re-think imcluding consoles, but would love some tips.
Also, for an arcade what setup do people recommed for modding say with a Raspberry Pi for tons of games? I don't believe my modded system at home is user-friendly enough for randos at an STR.